Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago

I don't want to see Lorehold Command in here for example just because it's a 5 mana spell.

To me, getting a free removal spell or draw spell is more than good enough for an attack trigger.
...I was totally thinking this was the one place lorehold command would be good lmao. Man they really screwed up on that didn't they.
All they had to do was cost it at 4 for sunforger, the bastards.
I want to say that might be too good, but like, you can already forge up Warleader's Helix and no one is exactly writing home about that play. So maybe it'd be fine.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

We're looking for twelve ramp slots right now. So on the clock goes @toctheyounger and @TheAmericanSpirit as we kick season six off.

Gift of Estates yay - 0 nay - 0

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Yay gift, I nominate Boros Signet.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Gift seems fine.

I nominate Mana Geyser. On occasion might help us get our dragon in early, good if we can freecast it too.

Obvious yea for signet.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Oh, sure I'll yay all three of those. Just a note I don't think mana geyser is a good hit off our dragon cause we'll have to use it or lose it in declare attacks?

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

Yay all three. Wondering about a ramp package using Geomancer's Gambit and Cleansing Wildfire and some indestructible lands for some ramp shenanigans for us. I'll nominate if people don't think it's too clunky.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

toctheyounger

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
Oh, sure I'll yay all three of those. Just a note I don't think mana geyser is a good hit off our dragon cause we'll have to use it or lose it in declare attacks?
Damn, that's honestly a big deterrent. 1st nomination and I regret already.

3drinks

Moonlighter wrote:
1 year ago
Yay all three. Wondering about a ramp package using Geomancer's Gambit and Cleansing Wildfire and some indestructible lands for some ramp shenanigans for us. I'll nominate if people don't think it's too clunky.
Don't think there's enough of this to work out, just a flagstones really. Not enough critical mass.
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
Damn, that's honestly a big deterrent. 1st nomination and I regret already.
It's still a worthy ritual. Just not the target.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Ya Friday I did my last business review with my employer of 7 years. Moving on! So I didn't take a look here.

Umm I will nominate Coalition Relic. It's a good card, and I think even better here to help cast our general on turn 5.

And I will yay everything so far, except Mana Geyser. It's a great card, I just don't know what we will use it for other than to cast our general on turn 6 (assuming no other ramp). Maybe could fit later on if we see some good mana sinks or X spells to use it on.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Gift of Estates and Boros Signet have been confirmed. I'll add a third and cautious yay to Mana Geyser, what are the odds it's gonna be the only hit on a dragon trigger, right? And I'll get coalition relic started with a yay. That's 3/12 ramp slots locked in.

For today, let's put our new to the activity guy @Moonlighter on the clock with @aliciaofthevast, cause I know she's been blowing me up with ramp options.

Coalition Relic yay - 1 nay - 0
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Ya Friday I did my last business review with my employer of 7 years. Moving on! So I didn't take a look here.
Does this mean you left a long time employer and are now seeking new employment?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Ok, jumping in

I'll yay Coalition Relic. Being able to get a two mana boost from it is really valuable.

How do you people feel about Heart of Ramos and Tooth of Ramos?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Hey all. Don't count me out of this one. I'm here; I just had a bad week.

Yay to Gift, Boros Signet, and Relic. Nay to Geyser.

I'm not sure about the Ramos artifacts. I know that my Boros deck does pretty well with most of the standard, two-mana ramp rocks, though we probably could use a few more due to the commander's MV. I don't know of we should totally dismiss @Moonlighter's ramp picks. Off the top of my head, we could use Darksteel Citadel, Rustvale Bridge, Flagstones of Trokair, and Drownyard Temple. Or we could always use them to remove problematic targets. I don't think we should count this out.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

My pick today? Okayokayokay, we're on ramp so my pick is...Archaeomancer's Map! Some people say seven is infinite in Magic-speak, so we're gonna need to go long and this is very good at that!

toctheyounger

Easy yes for Map. Having used it before it's not as amazing as you'd think it'd be, but for a 7 cmc commander we likely need the help. Plus it'll pull lands from our deck. The more we do that the better our odds are for a good attack trigger.

3drinks

Coalition Relic has been confirmed.

For today, let's put @Crazy Monkey and @Henlock on the clock. We're still in the ramp category, with 8 slots left to fill.

Archaeomancer's Map yay - 1 nay - 0
Moonlighter wrote:
1 year ago
I wanted to elaborate here rather than brushing it off with a singular sentence, so let's look at this. We've got four lands that could be played that interact with this setup...for two cards we could see. I like that they work double duty as disruption (where we can also use Boom // Bust) if we don't have the "combo" part or don't need the ramp interaction. Isn't this a bit too niche to be considered in the dedicated ramp category? To me this sounds like they should be saved for when we talk disruption (where I think they're really good, especially in this deck), rather than relying on them as ramp, if that makes sense?
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
How do you people feel about Heart of Ramos and Tooth of Ramos?
Hmm. I think in their best cases, this looks like a Storm or Eggs plant, though they still go mana negative in the turn they're cast. Just playing them makes them a more limited Manalith, and I'd imagine a Commander's Sphere|brc would be superior. So, I think if we're paying 3 for a rock, it needs to generate 2+ repeatedly (like coalition relic) or else we're better with something cheaper.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Yay to Map.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dunharrow

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Does this mean you left a long time employer and are now seeking new employment?

I found a job with one of my suppliers. Pays better. Get a car too. Have to travel a bit more but not that much more. And since I will be working with my previous employer they aren't that upset about it.

Henlock

Yay to Map. It is specially nice if we get to reuse it.

A bit in @Moonlighter's spirit, I think I am nominating Visions of Ruin. I think it'.s a great early play to hit opponents' rocks and amass a bit of treasure. It's also good in the late game and can be cast with Velomachus. It will also lower the flashback a huge lot with the chance of netting one mana for instant use.

If this is to be left for another stage of submissions, I'll go with the rather boring Noble's Purse

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Hmm, on the one hand, I think this may be the deck that makes visions of ruin shine! That flashback reduction looks extra attractive. I am unsure if that might be too inconsistent or even low in power with the lack of control over what's hit. Looks like high variance? If the majority is with it though, then so am I.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

We're in Boros so I'll yay Visions of Ruin as ramp. %$#% it, we're not here to be generic!

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

I missed the last deck, so this might not be how we do things anymore?
Yea Visions of Ruin as a cool combination of ramp and board control. 2 Yea, 0 Nay
Yea Archaeomancer's Map. It's not an instant/sorcery, but it is some consistent lands to count up to 7. 4 Yea, 0 Nay
Yea Gift of Estates. This definitely lets us hit land drops. I think in hindsight that this is already confirmed. This is also where I advocate for the inclusion of Mistveil Plains for reuse of spells. This happens to support Sunforger and I have no ulterior motives.
Yea Mana Geyser if that's still in the running. Having the option to combo with something like Reiterate, even limited to combat, makes sense to me.
I don't think that Noble's Purse is up for voting yet, but it's a relatively efficient source of treasure. I could be convinced, although I usually dislike the limited nature of the counters.

I do like the idea of being able to profit off of our own Cleansing Wildfire effects, but agree that treating those as ramp might be a bit of a stretch for me. It does advocate for indestructible lands or Boros Charm type effects for self-targeting.

As boring as it is, my first nomination was going to be Jeska's Will because it's a really good ritual that can multi-purpose off our commander. Turn 4 assuming no ramp and we hit land drops, as long as an opponent has a 6 card hand is reasonable, although turn 5 is more likely. However, it looks like we have a fair amount of treasure based ramp going on, so I'm instead nominating Inspired Tinkering. A very similar spell, but treasure based ramp and always red-draws the 3 cards. It has the same upsides, and is within the 5MV for our commander's power without outside help. Sure it costs a bit more mana but it has more potential avenues if we do stuff with treasure and isn't as big a hit on the budget.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Dunharrow

Yay map and Visions

3drinks

Archaeomancer's Map and Visions of Ruin have both been confirmed.

I'm going to place the first tentative nay on Inspired Tinkering where I never want to spend five on this and a Big Score will almost always be superior. Tinkering is the kind of card I want to hit off the dragon though.

On the clock today we close out the previous cycle with @RxPhantom and start the next with @toctheyounger. We're at 6/12 in the ramp category presently, so we're still on that category.

Inspired Tinkering yay - 0 nay - 1

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Archaeomancer's Map and Visions of Ruin have both been confirmed.

I'm going to place the first tentative nay on Inspired Tinkering where I never want to spend five on this and a Big Score will almost always be superior. Tinkering is the kind of card I want to hit off the dragon though.
This makes sense. I though about the 4MV spells like score or Pirate's Pillage, and didn't like the idea of 0 net cards or when when free cast as much. But they are much better as ramp spells to reach 7 on turn 5 with just land drops. Are we firm in the categories now? If it's a 'ramp slot' specifically then I agree with you, but if it's a flex slot between ramp and value then I still support my nomination.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Henlock

I yay Tinkering. As @Crazy Monkey pointed, big score and the like do not net you cards and we're required to discard even if casting.it with Velo. Three cards is a lot and that's quite a good help to get our land drops. If cast on curve, we.ll have mana for Velomachus and a bit more for next turn.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”