Worst Mana Curve Ever

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

The worst average CMC Deck that still functions

I played a Torment Block booster draft. Because Arcane teachings is busted in a set with minimal removal, I took first place and got a cabal coffers out of the rare draft prize pool. I thought I want to build a deck around this card. Well, Golos, Tireless Pilgrim basically makes it my general and I'm changing my Damia, Non-Infinite Elf-Storm into a Gaea's Cradle based Golos deck. How do I make a second Golos deck that is the complete polar opposite of my other Golos deck? Well that deck has 38 1-drops, it's mana curve is basically the best mana curve possible. What is the most functional deck I can make with the worst possible mana curve? I present to you, CMC matters Golos.

[edit]: Surprise, everyone hates golos! The deck is now an Esika deck because people hate her less...

Quick side note:
As of this writing my current elf-ball Golos deck has an average CMC of 2.26
As of this writing my current CMC matters Golos deck has an average CMC of 7.37, including lands a 5.60
Worst Mana Curve Possible: Updated 6/6/2023

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

I've found this deck to be hilariously fun to play. Pyromancy is far and away the best card in the deck, especially if you get Cabal Coffers + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. Everyone always has to read Pyromancy and they get so confused. The first hit always results in some flavor of "ouch I got unlucky". Then, every card discarded creates this delicious mental shift from vague confusion to approximately "teenagers in a slasher flick" as they realize that every card in my hand is 8+ CMC.

Other highlights include playing against Kozilek, the Great Distortion and watching their deck utterly fail to be able to counter any of my spells. I've also hit someone with Mindshrieker for 30 damage (Mindshrieker is also the entire reason I'm not running Keruga, the Macrosage as a companion).

This deck has been fairly refined to make every Esika spin feel strong but not oppressive. Most of my boardstates can be swept up by a Wrath of God. As such I'm avoiding any and all common salty cards such as Expropriate, Blightsteel Colossus and every single eldrazi. I also found Skull Storm/Cabal Conditioning to be very uninteractive for my opponents.
Older Deck List
Show
Hide
Worst Mana Curve Possible

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by materpillar 9 months ago, edited 50 times in total.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Petrified Field is a good one to get back the Urborg or Coffers when it gets Strip Mine.

Haman
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Haman » 4 years ago

too gimicky... you can cast very little spells before your Crystal Quarry,
Would have worked better if your lands are more g/b.
35 lands for a deck that need to get to 7 mana is pretty unstable.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Haman wrote:
4 years ago
too gimicky... you can cast very little spells before your Crystal Quarry,
Would have worked better if your lands are more g/b.
35 lands for a deck that need to get to 7 mana is pretty unstable.
Whoops, I didn't clarify. The swamps are all place holders for actual lands like Command Tower, I tweaked the deck some recently and I need to reevaluate specifics of the mana base.

The deck relies on urborg to turn on cabal coffers. I expect Golos himself will get killed at least once so I can use him to find Urbog and Coffers. If he doesn't, I can just activate him every turn which is also fine since he's likely to get so much value with each activation. How many total mana sources do you think I should be running? I guess I'd assumed 35 lands + 7 additional mana sources would be enough.
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Petrified Field is a good one to get back the Urborg or Coffers when it gets Strip Mine.
Oh right. I need vesuva and deserted temple too. I'm lightly worried the deck doesn't have enough answers to non-creature permanents. Is there any good expensive cards to deal with those like violent ultimatum?

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

materpillar wrote:
4 years ago
Oh right. I need vesuva and deserted temple too. I'm lightly worried the deck doesn't have enough answers to non-creature permanents. Is there any good expensive cards to deal with those like violent ultimatum?
Terastodon is the way to go.
Stealing is a way; Blatant Thievery, Expropriate, Memnarch
Legacy Weapon as an alternative mana sink.

Haman

Post by Haman » 4 years ago

Elvish Reclaimer Crop Rotation Pir's Whim Tempt with Discovery
Trinket mage for your Sol Ring and Expedition Map

Tevesh

Post by Tevesh » 4 years ago

My Golos deck is pretty similar with the idea of just casting obnoxious spells. It doesn't have any CMC matters pay-off cards like you do but you can probably take a look for ideas. It is intentionally casual so there's a lot of odd picks in there. It's just fun dropping bombs turn-after-turn. Like Sheoldred, Whispering One seems damned good to me, I also introduced a lot of pseudo-group hug elements to get the heat off of me in the early game and ramp to end. I don't run enough Basics for it but it might be OK for you but Oath of Lieges will Ramp you hard compared to Green decks that just aim to hard cast their bombs after Ramping hard.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Tevesh wrote:
4 years ago
My Golos deck is pretty similar with the idea of just casting obnoxious spells. It doesn't have any CMC matters pay-off cards like you do but you can probably take a look for ideas. It is intentionally casual so there's a lot of odd picks in there. It's just fun dropping bombs turn-after-turn. Like Sheoldred, Whispering One seems damned good to me, I also introduced a lot of pseudo-group hug elements to get the heat off of me in the early game and ramp to end. I don't run enough Basics for it but it might be OK for you but Oath of Lieges will Ramp you hard compared to Green decks that just aim to hard cast their bombs after Ramping hard.
Oath of Lieges sounds siiiiick. There's a ton of filthy landfall/ramp decks in my metagame so that card is perfect.

I played two games of this today. The first game one of my opponents sat down with Kozilek, the Great Distortion. Spoiler: He didn't counter any of my cards. I found this little deckbuilding matchup to be hilarious. That game a different opponent cast star of extinction to kill my urborg. I untapped and cast I cast Skull Storm, after casting my general 3 times. It had rebound. Then I hit one opponent with Searing Wind, also with rebound. They all died really hard. Great success. Turns out mana reflection is super good.

The second game I cast Lay Claim on my opposing token deck's Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. My next golos flip included Storm Herd.

This deck does silly strong things but feels extremely fair. It has a lot of board control but it is really slow and everything is very easy to interact with. It also takes very very little time to pilot compared to a lot of the trigger/recursion loops of most EDH decks now a days.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

I made a bunch of swaps in this deck. Focusing on upping the curve even more where I could plus shaving off some goodstuff and replacing it with more on theme cards. I also want the primary win-con to be beating face with big dumb creatures so I shaved out harder to interact with cards like Blatant Thievery and Skull Storm. I also shaved out more common finishers Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite and Kozilek, the Great Distortion.

-1 Brilliant Ultimatum
+1 Hedron Matrix

-1 Blatant Thievery
+1 Volrath the Fallen

-1 Duneblast
+1 Avatar of Woe

-1 Courser of Kruphix
+1 Thryx, the Sudden Storm

-1 Weathered Wayfarer
+1 Recross the Paths

-1 Aminatou, the Fateshifter
+1 Favor of the Mighty

-1 Nahiri's Wrath
+1 Riddle of Lightning

-1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
+1 Sandwurm Convergence

-1 Conflux
+1 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

-1 Skull Storm
+1 Primal Surge

-1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
+1 Deep-Sea Kraken

materpillar
the caterpillar

I'm thinking of swapping Golos, Tireless Pilgrim for Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge mostly to reduce salt. Also, it'd let me swap some of my lower CMC ramp cards like Cultivate for higher CMC ramp like Hour of Promise.

Here's some cards I was thinking of adding so I can still get Cabal Coffers Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth going.
Last edited by materpillar 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I hate Timesifter more than basically any other magic card but I'd probably consider it in this deck :P

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

When I see Crystal Quarry, I think Mana Reflection.

I also like the Esika switch.

materpillar
the caterpillar

umtiger wrote:
3 years ago
When I see Crystal Quarry, I think Mana Reflection.

I also like the Esika switch.
Every time I play a game with this deck and people don't have a good time, I cut the offending cards. Mana Reflection + Crystal Quarry allowed me to triple activate golos once and blew out the table. It got axed. It might go back in if I switch to Esika though.
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I hate Timesifter more than basically any other magic card but I'd probably consider it in this deck :P
Yah, in terms of power-level it's a slam dunk. In terms of happiness of people playing against me... not so much.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Played my first game with the deck flipped to Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge. It's way way less smooth than rolling Golos, Tireless Pilgrim. Turns out having The World Tree in your command zone is way better than Birds of Paradise.

The game was me vs Anowon, the Ruin Thief, The Locust God and Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter. The Locust God cast an early Perplexing Chimera and then got his general stolen twice with it. He got mised by that really really hard. The game went pretty late and The Locust God managed to assemble Alhammarret's Archive and Skullclamp with his general. I had Lurking Predators and The Prismatic Bridge online. I got to smash Sifter Wurm, Inkwell Leviathan, Autochthon Wurm and Ghalta, Primal Hunger into his board losing Ghalta and sifter wurm. The next turn I transmuted Grozoth for Soulfire Eruption to mostly plague wind his tokens and dome him for 8 so I could slip by and finish him with Inkwell Leviathan and Autochthon Wurm.

Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter did a bunch of interesting stuff during the game that kept me alive. He was constantly throwing removal around to wreck boardstates and mine was never the most threatening until the very end. He managed to go infinite with my Primeval Protector, Puppeteer Clique, and Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter to wipe the board in the midgame. I cleared the board with Ondu Inversion // Ondu Skyruins and Scavenger Grounds.

The deck is sooooooo slow (shocking I know). I really want to slot in Play of the Game and Bell Borca, Spectral Sergeant.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

The decklist has gotten quite a lot of changes. Since I swapped from Golos, Tireless Pilgrim to Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge the deck gets a lot less hate straight out of the gate. Especially when I cast Esika, God of the Tree on turn 3 and not The Prismatic Bridge. It also let me increase my curve since I expect to cast her on 3, so I swapped my 3-CMC Cultivate cards for 5-CMC "ramp" cards like Mirari's Wake.

As far as new cards, Sorin, Grim Nemesis has been a house. Early-ish interaction while also blasting people. Mirari's Wake lets me actually cast stuff. I'm thinking about trying to slot Mana Reflection back in (that got cut earlier to lower the decks powerlevel). Lurking Predators has also done fantastic work.

Infernal Genesis is a new addition I'm pretty hyped about. It milled my opponents Kodama of the East Tree which felt great. Bringer of the Black Dawn played well enough that I added Bringer of the Blue Dawn.

Bell Borca, Spectral Sergeant did amazing in his first cast. He hit Iname as One, so I could cast Ghalta, Primal Hunger for GG.

Excited for Keen Duelist but I haven't drawn it yet. Same with Vial Smasher the Fierce.

Adding Golgari Rot Farm and Selesnya Sanctuary turned out great. I've been using them late game to bounce my Turntimber Symbiosis // Turntimber, Serpentine Wood / Ondu Inversion // Ondu Skyruins. I find myself tutoring them pretty frequently for this purpose.

Noteable recent plays include making Mindshrieker as 93/93 with 13 mill triggers after I tutored it up with Iname as One and casting a Primal Surge for 0. I lost a clash with Recross the Paths which felt terrible. :(

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 2 years ago

I'm curious if Vial Smasher the Fierce would be a reasonable add, seems like you're focusing on mana production in order to cast these bombs...and if you're casting them, your vial smasher will be putting a lot of damage to the dome!

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Outcryqq wrote:
2 years ago
I'm curious if Vial Smasher the Fierce would be a reasonable add, seems like you're focusing on mana production in order to cast these bombs...and if you're casting them, your vial smasher will be putting a lot of damage to the dome!
I just added Vial Smasher the Fierce during the last wave of additions. I haven't drawn him yet. I imagine he'll really like Bringer of the Black Dawn/Bringer of the Blue Dawn.

Also, he's a legend so, Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge makes him ramp.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Posting this hear so I can laugh at it a year from now.
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23919

My Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge deck. It's an Esika deck not a Prismatic Bridge deck. Esika is cast turn 3 every game, the bridge is cast maybe 1/4 of the games on turn 7, The last game I played, I lost because the mana curve was too low, so don't "Oh your mana curve is so bad" me. It needs to be worse. I have a foil Mindshrieker that's why I don't play Keruga, the Macrosage. If you tell me to play Eldrazi, I'll tell you that you suck worse than your reviews.
Finally, a deck that would fit in with my time traveling writing partner from 2011. Now this deck can close a game and doesn't waste too much time doing things in the early game except cycling Krosan Tusker as Dr. Garfield intended.

Our submitter seems very sensitive about Mindshrieker and not running Keruga, the Macrosage. Given the dumpster fire that is this deck I find this concern to be a bit like picking lint out of your pocket while you're falling into a black hole

So let's start with the commander. Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge is a great card, not really good enough for cedh but the bridge is really strong. Esika on the other hand is best played with a bunch of cheap legends. I don't understand how this deck ever makes enough mana to cast its spells at all much less five different colors of mana to cast bringers early.

I count like 20 or some odd green sources at most and that is really iffy when your entire game plan is dependent on making 1gg by turn 3 so you might get to play the game eventually.

Normally you'd expect some cheap legends to capitalize on esika but the submitter eschews this in favor of the power of hope. Hope that we draw one of our handful of legends we might cast before turn 11. Synergy!

so I'll pause here and say that I actually do find the premise of this deck pretty interesting. It's very subversive to in the day of efficiency to try to win with a truly ridiculously high curve and a clever theme to try to win taking advantage of synergies with that. Unfortunately this deck plays cards like Hypnox. What the %$#% is that thing?

What confuses me about cards like Hypnox -- well, one of them, aside from...
How it ever gets cast without lucksacking into cabal coffers and urborg
Why anyone would draw that thing? Has materpillar ever cast hypnox?
Why is isn't it legendary? Would materpilar tap it for mana if it was or is 8 damage more important?
If you could cast it should you?

Okay so one thing that confuses me is why such an interesting cool funsies deck wants to make Mind Twist anyone. That's awful. I guess by the time you're casting this card it's probably going to be a game of 1v1 because odds are in favor of at least two of the opponents dying of something by then. Like old age or heart disease.

This deck appears to also be competing for the most total words of rules text in a deck. The assortment of high cmc payoffs is basically word salad. It's like an itemized list of "red wall of text spell" from each set in magic history. And then has gems like Protection Racket, a card that has more plot twists than a daytime soap. Do they pay the life? Does someone see a card? What is happening to Hypnox?

I spent an awful lot of time complaining about that dnd deck and all the reading required but this deck definitely takes the gold medal in the "can I read that please? *sigh* can you look up the oracle text and then google the flowchart for me? Oh. You have brought a PowerPoint deck. I see." Olympics.

If I were to offer a genuine suggestion it would be to spend a long time looking at the mana base for this deck. It is so greedy. I get that the commander fixes but it just has so many lands that only tap for one color. I feel like it could really stand to play a few more rainbow lands at least. Then after the submitter has fixed the mana base they can spend some time contemplating Hypnox. %$#% Hypnox

The biggest question other than hypnox that I'm really curious about is a list of which cards in the deck have actually been cast vs existing solely to reveal to Keen Duelist or Pyromancy.

My bet is that the percentage of non lands that have actually been cast for mana is less than 50%.

Lastly, this deck used to be a golos deck. This deck was probably the only actually cool use for golos ever and yes I am including dirks busted ass Sorrow's Path deck. I think this deck might be the single best argument for golos being unbanned. The maybe this deck could win a game again.

This deck is suck. Hypnox suck.
@pokken
Figured I'd respond some here instead of gunking up your other thread. I used to play a 60 card casual deck built around Braids, Conjurer Adept. I thought Hypnox was an ETB trigger not cast trigger. So I'd drop it into play T5 and eat my opponents hand. That's… not how it works. But I get warm and tingly thinking about baby mtg me doing that to my friends. He's in here more as a nostalgia card than an optimal choice. Basically the only way to cast him is Cabal Coffers or Mirari's Wake. I have cast him once to eat a hand. I've gotten him into play of bridge/Myojin of Life's Web/golos a handful of times. He's an 8/8 flier which actually chunks people pretty good. But yeah, he's there for nostalgia almost exclusively. He was more reasonable when the commander was golos and I always had coffees online.

Fun fact about the deck being golos. Tutoring cabal coffers turn 4-5 every game still pushes this decks powerlevel way up. The deck is way way weaker without him at the helm. I'm not that sad that he's gone.

Yeah, the mana base is pretty bad. It's actually on my to-do list to revamp. I just didn't get around to it before posting the link to you. XD

As far as how many of the cards I've cast. I think I've hardcast everything but Scion of Draco and some of the really new additions. Sometimes you just hit Mirari's Wake or Cabal Coffers and have enough mana to start dropping big stuff. Fun fact: you can tutor for Mindshrieker with Iname as One! I've done that. It's funny. On average that's have cast everything maybe once. Most things have been cheated into play a handful of times. But yeah, primarily every big card is just a blank card with a really high cmc. Hardcast maybe 5% of the time, cheat into play 20% of the time. Discard for value 75% of the time.

materpillar
the caterpillar

@pokken
I had a question for you. How would you swap around the mana base? I want to be running as many spell-lands as possible minimize the misses for Mindshrieker type cards. The only non-basics I'm running that don't tap for G are cabal/urborg and Scavenger Grounds. It seems like the only real way to cram in more green sources is to cut basics or those three lands? Did you have any other thoughts about the mana base?

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
@pokken
I had a question for you. How would you swap around the mana base? I want to be running as many spell-lands as possible minimize the misses for Mindshrieker type cards. The only non-basics I'm running that don't tap for G are cabal/urborg and Scavenger Grounds. It seems like the only real way to cram in more green sources is to cut basics or those three lands? Did you have any other thoughts about the mana base?
I would probably start by adding a couple lands. You're at 37 with the sell lands? Or 38? I don't think your early game mana fixing is good enough to be on that few lands. 38-39 is my reckoning. You do have a couple bounce lands so that does help the land finding (getting to 3).

There is zero way this mana base can support any lands that tap for C. It's 5 colors and you really use all your colors. Scavenger Grounds has got to go for anything that makes green.

I am really curious as to how coffers actually works in this deck. My gut instinct is it's pretty iffy and probably leads to some dead hands but if you're playing kinda slow and fishing for land tutors maybe? Given that you have so many land tutors that set up coffers maybe that's fine, I dunno.

I think I would a basic or two, scavenger grounds and some of the worst non green mdfcs and add forest fetches in their place. Then go from there. Fundamentally though I am missing something about how this deck sequences. It might help me to hear a turn by turn goldfishing example or two?

materpillar
the caterpillar

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
I would probably start by adding a couple lands. You're at 37 with the sell lands? Or 38? I don't think your early game mana fixing is good enough to be on that few lands. 38-39 is my reckoning. You do have a couple bounce lands so that does help the land finding (getting to 3).

There is zero way this mana base can support any lands that tap for C. It's 5 colors and you really use all your colors. Scavenger Grounds has got to go for anything that makes green.

I am really curious as to how coffers actually works in this deck. My gut instinct is it's pretty iffy and probably leads to some dead hands but if you're playing kinda slow and fishing for land tutors maybe? Given that you have so many land tutors that set up coffers maybe that's fine, I dunno.

I think I would a basic or two, scavenger grounds and some of the worst non green mdfcs and add forest fetches in their place. Then go from there. Fundamentally though I am missing something about how this deck sequences. It might help me to hear a turn by turn goldfishing example or two?
Cabal Coffers is kinda iffy. I've got three non-basic land tutors that are effectively in the deck just to search for it / Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. It's not super duper bonkers like it was when Golos, Tireless Pilgrim was at the helm of the deck and it was online literally every game. It hasn't screwed me yet either (although The World Tree and Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth help out there a bit too. When it comes online in tends to absolutely smash the game though (gotta love a full grip, Pyromancy and an online Cabal Coffers). It's a pretty low risk, high reward card that doesn't usually come online.

Scavenger Grounds is really greedy. It was in here mostly because of the handful of non-basic land tutors I have can also find it. It's basically my only graveyard hate. Not really sure how else to jam some graveyard hate into this deck. :/
My gut instinct is it's pretty iffy and probably leads to some dead hands but if you're playing kinda slow... maybe?
I know you're referring to coffers but that's a pretty solid summation of this deck. :P
Then go from there. Fundamentally though I am missing something about how this deck sequences. It might help me to hear a turn by turn goldfishing example or two?
The desired line is Turn3 Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge. Turn4 Synergy/Ramp Card. Turn5 start dropping threatening synergy cards (Mindshrieker/Sorin, Grim Nemesis or 10 drops if we've spiked Mirari's Wake and friends.

I think the most ideal line of the deck is T4 Hour of Promise for Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth/Cabal Coffers. T5 Protection Racket+some huge thing.

T4 Bringer of the Blue Dawn into T5 The Great Henge+stuff is also extremely solid.

Obviously, all these lines are pretty soft to Mana Drain but... I'm pretty aware of the powerlevel ceiling of this deck. It can't really handle people threatening lethal damage pre-turn 6 and mostly interacts with wrath spells at sorcery speed.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Nice. That helps. Yeah I think I would start with the small pile of changes. Cut two nongreen mdfcs and scavenger for 3 forest fetches. Maybe cut basic mountain for another one.

If you want to reevaluate further I'd consider finding some more cheat into play effects. Making the commander Jodah, Archmage Eternal seems not unreasonable, but requires a large mana base fix.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Greater Tanuki is the random card of the day today and actually seems good here, you're already running Beanstalk Giant // Fertile Footsteps.

Edit, also, I'm surprised to learn you use the front half of Esika, I would have just assumed you'd go for the back half and cast your ridiculously expensive spells for free, haha.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

materpillar
the caterpillar

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Greater Tanuki is the random card of the day today and actually seems good here, you're already running Beanstalk Giant // Fertile Footsteps.

Edit, also, I'm surprised to learn you use the front half of Esika, I would have just assumed you'd go for the back half and cast your ridiculously expensive spells for free, haha.
I'm glad you're so amused by my deck. I considered Greater Tanuki when it was spoiled but decided against it. This deck would much rather go Esika, God of the Tree into Mirari's Wake than it would Greater Tanuki into The Prismatic Bridge.

The deck really likes tons of mana so I can abuse Pyromancy and such. There's a lot of creature wiffs like Draco and Hypnox. I mean those are good to get for free but they're not great.. They're less threatening on the board than they are in my hand when I've got Spellbound Dragon on the battlefield.

I also lean into politics a lot. So if you T4 the prismatic bridge you usually aggro the table. If you slam a T3 Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge people usually bother you way less so you have more time to setup.

Beanstalk Giant // Fertile Footsteps and Recross the Paths are my only non-commander 3cmc ramp spells. Beanstalk Giant is actually on my watch to cut list.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”