Unreleased and New Card Discussion

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Personally crossing fingers for Steelshaper's Gift. It really needs a reprint, and now is the time.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Personally crossing fingers for Steelshaper's Gift. It really needs a reprint, and now is the time.
At first I was like Steelshaper's Gift, really? I remember it being a bulk uncommon. And then I look at the price and it is almost twelve dollars...

toctheyounger

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
At first I was like Steelshaper's Gift, really? I remember it being a bulk uncommon. And then I look at the price and it is almost twelve dollars...
Exactly. The price is atrocious for an uncommon. It's a good card ofc, but damn.

I wouldn't be mad to see Tolaria West for similar reasons, too.

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

Moment's Peace already has a foil version since it debuted in Odyssey, but I'm totally with anyone who calls for another.
sorta mad at magic right now

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 3 years ago

No hate on M. Peace, but I want a new Mists for at least Titania. Gimmie that lands synergy.

Also, happy Pog for Reshape, Skittles, Rolling Earthquake, Trash for Treasure, and some of the new arts for cards. :D
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Lots of very nice reprints in 2XM, as a followup to M21 and Jumpstart. Stoneforge Mystic is probably the biggest one for me, but Dread Return and Lightning Greaves are also quite nice. Would also love to get another copy of Mana Reflection. It is very difficult to tell whether the average reprint quality is higher than normal though, since there are also twice as many rares/mythics in the set, total. The list of cards I want from the set is very, very long... but so is the list of duds.

....if I had some friends to draft the set with, I'd be tempted to buy a box. Not really an option at the moment though, so will plan on sticking to singles.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

Lightning Greaves is probably my favorite reprint so far, because for how many times it has been reprinted the price never really falls. Hopefully with this being a full set and not just a supplemental product the price does go down, because I really have been looking to pick up multiples and not just move my only copy between decks.

Inkeyes22

Post by Inkeyes22 » 3 years ago

So I bought some packs of Jumpstart... and the cool basic lands, yeah you only get one of them and the rest are M21 lands. Kinda upset. I was very tempted to make a Yawgmoth, Thran Physician themed deck complete with the phyrexian swamps but they are going for $10-12 a pop. Assuming I run about 30ish basics, that is just untenable for purely cosmetics. I thought for sure they would have 6-7 of them per pack. When they are at the cheapest $8 a pack. I just can't see me buying any more, which is really sad. I did like 15-20 on Arena as I had a ton of gold and it was a lot of fun (Well-Read did me no favors though).

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

I don't even use her, but I might get that new Hanna. Original art did nothing for me, second was amazing but makes me feel bad to look at now, third is great.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

Serenade wrote:
3 years ago
I don't even use her, but I might get that new Hanna. Original art did nothing for me, second was amazing but makes me feel bad to look at now, third is great.
I was about to comment on the new art for her

I wonder if batterskull will go down now and %$#%$#% that full art SFM...wow
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

toctheyounger

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Serenade wrote:
3 years ago
I was about to comment on the new art for her

I wonder if batterskull will go down now and %$#%$#% that full art SFM...wow
Agreed, but my fave so far is the Sneak Attack full art version. It's gorgeous and perfectly Tolkien. 100% reminiscent of the trolls in the Hobbit.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Command legends is now started

Partner is back (not "partner with")

The hunters from innistrad finally got cards Hal and alena

And they really messed something up big time

Alena + Thrasios, Triton Hero + Intruder Alarm Put it together

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
Command legends is now started

Partner is back (not "partner with")

The hunters from innistrad finally got cards Hal and alena

And they really messed something up big time

Alena + Thrasios, Triton Hero + Intruder Alarm Put it together
I mean, "this card breaks Thrasios, Triton Hero" and "this card breaks Intruder Alarm" are almost as ubiquitous a phrase as "this card breaks Ghave, Guru of Spores" and "this card is ridiculous with Helm of the Host" :p. I think you misread part of that anyhow - Alena only makes mana equal to the power of a creature that entered this turn and Alarm only gives a free untap when a creature, not a land, EtBs. That means the "combo" is only infinite with a creature like Ancestral Statue pr Grinning Ignus and is otherwise a random crap-shoot that requires tons of colorless creatures to keep casting or requires something like Vizier of the Menagerie to wash Alena's mana, and even then it's all luck/draw dependent. So really this is "Alena + Thrasios + Intruder Alarm + Ancestral Statue" and honestly Statue + Alarm can already be broken in a billion ways.

Anyhow, I digress - I don't think they messed that part up, but I am really concerned about 41 new "Partner" commanders homogenizing the format especially being able to just run any color combo you want at will thanks to The Prismatic Piper. So far, none of these new mono-legends are that scary, and probably none of it as scary as getting to run Thrasios + whatever colors you want anyways, but it does scare me.

Also shocked we're getting enemy-colored "Crowd Lands" instead of Fetches (probably). Major bummer.

So far, surprisingly disappointed but there's a lot of time to impress me.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

Why do people never link the new cards they're talking about? giggle

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Neat, maybe we'll get an enchantress legend where you tag whatever other colors you want!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
Anyhow, I digress - I don't think they messed that part up, but I am really concerned about 41 new "Partner" commanders homogenizing the format especially being able to just run any color combo you want at will thanks to The Prismatic Piper. So far, none of these new mono-legends are that scary, and probably none of it as scary as getting to run Thrasios + whatever colors you want anyways, but it does scare me.
I'm also a bit concerned re: how much this will shake up the format, but I do think that the partners being monocolor instead of two colors makes them much closer in power level to existing commanders. Partner is an extremely powerful mechanic, but so is having access to four colors - and running a monocolor partner shuts off that possibility entirely. Also note that you can only run a partner legend if both your commanders have partner - no throwing The Prismatic Piper into a random deck for access to an extra color.

I'll also call out that a lot of these monocolor partners are going to be uncommons, which will implicitly also be of a lower power level. Still, we'll have to wait and see how things work out. I'm not going to say if I'm optimistic or pessimistic at this point, but I do hope nothing too broken gets printed.

As for other stuff...

Keeper of the Accord is a snap include for Teysa, and looks to be solid for white decks in general. I'd run it for the ramp alone, but generating an expendable token every turn (like Ophiomancer) is the cherry on top. I also love the idea of running a way to sacrifice lands (like Zuran Orb) to fetch out lands every turn, only to recur them all with Planar Birth. Both halves are conditional, but a solid enough package for it to worth testing.

Vault of Champions and the rest of the battlebond cycle look great. I'm going to hope they end up being cheaper than the allied lands, but... we'll see.

New foiling process also looks pretty.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

partner as the big thing of the set is really underwhelming

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
partner as the big thing of the set is really underwhelming
I wholly agree. We already have Thrasios-Tymna, combinatorial power only increases with the number of options. WotC has a bad habit lately of crashing formats by printing splashy, OP cards, and casual EDH is particularly vulnerable to that sort of cashing out. There's a broader problem I see in this community, of seeing EDH-targetted cards as automatically approved at every group, and I wonder if this set will be the breaking point for that discussion, after Yarok and Golos started it last summer.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 3 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of Gruul stompy stomp for commander but for Hal and Alena I'll make it work.

There is a small space of flickering/ebt and free creatures that might be fun to explore with.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Partner is a great solution for commander drafting. I have done drafts before and it was kinda brutal - how do you figure out your colors? How do you pivot?
This solves the problem really well.
As far as commander goes, Gavin mentioned having people from the RC and from the Commander community playtesting the partners and they really did their best to now make anything too broken.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Why is anyone talking about The Prismatic Piper? It's draft only - any partner commanders you've always got an option for getting any color that does more than a vanilla 3/3 for 5...
BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
I wholly agree. We already have Thrasios-Tymna, combinatorial power only increases with the number of options. WotC has a bad habit lately of crashing formats by printing splashy, OP cards, and casual EDH is particularly vulnerable to that sort of cashing out. There's a broader problem I see in this community, of seeing EDH-targetted cards as automatically approved at every group, and I wonder if this set will be the breaking point for that discussion, after Yarok and Golos started it last summer.
I can understand being nervous about potential combos with partners, but the bolded is absurd. Casual formats are by far the least vulnerable to OP cards, because they're the only formats where people will avoid them on principle if they're too strong. There are so many busted things to do already, and while the format has (imo) gotten worse with new printings of powerful cards, it certainly hasn't crashed.

Golos is annoying, but the % of golos decks in edh compared to the % of hogaak decks in modern is no contest. Commander can't really be crashed because, short of printing sol ring 2, any particular card isn't going to get played in that many decks. So it's more of "death by a thousand cuts" as more and more OP cards get printed - and that's not a crash anymore, it's more of a gradual shift to a more powerful format. Which, hey, I still don't love. But it's not a "sky is falling" situation. If they do print a broken partner pair, it'll be a hot thing for a bit (and by "hot thing" I mean 2% of the meta tops), then people will get bored and mostly stop, just like all the other OP commanders that I rarely see anymore.

While I hope we don't see anything busted, I like having more options for partners to make synergies with, especially ones that enable 2-3 color decks instead of 4c rainbow spew. So I'm tentatively optimistic.
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Partner is a great solution for commander drafting. I have done drafts before and it was kinda brutal - how do you figure out your colors? How do you pivot?
This solves the problem really well.
As far as commander goes, Gavin mentioned having people from the RC and from the Commander community playtesting the partners and they really did their best to now make anything too broken.
I agree. When I was testing my commander cube I considered ignoring CI altogether because it could be really frustrating to be locked into a color when something else was clearly open. Partner in general, and The Prismatic Piper in specific, fixes that handily, especially with piper at common. I think that was a great call. Sacrifice commander power level for flexibility in the draft.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Partner is a great solution for commander drafting.
If you say so. I think that someone who opens Baron Sengir and Alena and decide last minute to change Alena for the piper and play Orzhov Baron Sengir will be crushed 100% of the time by someone who opened Prossh and sticked with that.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
If you say so. I think that someone who opens Baron Sengir and Alena and decide last minute to change Alena for the piper and play Orzhov Baron Sengir will be crushed 100% of the time by someone who opened Prossh and sticked with that.
Someone who opened prossh and stuck to it 100% might end up with an amazing deck, but they could also easily end up cut off and passing tons of great azorius cards because they committed when they shouldn't have. If you take a piper and then get passed great cards out of color you can pivot to take advantage of those.

Of course, unlike normal draft, if you overcommit you do get the advantage of a powerful always-available commander instead of a powerful card within the deck that you might not draw, so there's probably MORE motivation to commit, but you're also committing to an entire color combination specifically, not just a bomb in one color, or two colors that you might be able to splash outside/inside of - you have to play those exact colors, no more no less.

I'm not sure, but I believe that it's intended as multiplayer draft, so having a powerful face-up card might just paint a target on your face - or at least not be as big of a deal as it is in 1v1.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the piper is really plan A for anybody, but much like an off-color dual land, I'd probably be pleased to pick one up late in pack 1, or earlier if the pack is junk, so that I have a bit more flexibility if the need arises. I guess it's probably unlikely to be a viable option by pack 2 unless there are multicolor partners, though. If you're pivoting into a new color in pack 2 it probably better be because your new commander is nuts, especially with a 60-card deck. Otherwise you'd probably need at least a couple real bomb-level cards in that color to want to pivot, which seems hard to put together.

But who knows. Could also be the case that you get one bomb partner but not a second one, so you get to use piper for free, plus the ability to splash another color...there's a few ways to look at it. At the very least, he gives some fallback options so you're less likely to find yourself with an unplayable deck because you never saw a commander in the color you were drafting, which is definitely a good thing.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Partner is a great solution for commander drafting.
I mean, do you draft? If you Draft Baron and Alena and find that you should be Orzhov halfway through pack one, at least you aren't locked into rakdos. You don't have to abandon your Baron Sengir. You just start drafting white because it's open and eventually you will get a white partner or the common.

The more common direction will be drafting a single color until you figure out what's open and then start drafting that color.

Partners allow so much flexibility. Taking a 3 color commander and hoping you can play it is a risk - you might not get passed those colors.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

Partner legends tend to be slightly weaker than non-partner ones (save some exceptions). I was hoping for mono-color non-partner legends that are strong enough by themselves. Perhaps some of them will be, but with the partner clause it's unlikely anyone would use them for mono-color decks.

Hopefully there will be cards that'd boost mono-color decks in this set.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”