3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Thursday, August 8th, 2019; Soul of New Phyrexia

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Every now and then, I think to myself how having board-wide indestructibility on tap would be nice. And this is colourless, too, so I can ram this anywhere. And then I look at it, see its cost, and shrug it off. Still, I'm pretty sure that there's a hyper sluggish meta somewhere in the world where this is a haymaker supreme.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

I play it in Rakdos, Lord of Riots because that deck can usually afford to leave up 5 mana the turn this comes down. But the only time this has ever done something in my games is once it saved my board from the graveyard when the wrath caster was not diligent in checking my yard. I think this is more of a deterrent than anything. Nobody is casting a wrath with this out.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!
Answers: 1

Post by Serpent_Steve » 4 years ago

Similar reason why this goes in my Patron of the Orochi deck. Any deck with lots of available mana will sink this creature in because having essential immunity to board wipes (minus exile of course) is great.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

I play in mono-red artifacts because artifact mana and it activates from the graveyard. Never activated it before, but its still a 6/6 trampler bit potential blowout with Disk and such.

Overall better on paper than in practice. Looks like it would compare favorably to Wurmcoil Engine, but it really doesn't due to high activation cost.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Thursday, August 8th, 2019; Soul of New Phyrexia
I have played this a lot, and it's grand. I liked that whole Soul-cycle from M15.

While I will concede that my meta is super slow, it does work when you can generate large but not-infinite amounts of mana (like in Selvala, Heart of the Wilds, but without the infinite combos).

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Well, if you have nine mana available, you know what to do. If you have eleven, do it better.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I run it in Thada Adel, Acquisitor, where I have been happy with it. That deck both makes a lot of mana and wants large stompy things. Not running many boardwipes myself to use the Soul proactively, so just running it as protection for my own board. It's sometimes hard to evaluate the quality of a rattlesnake / on-board protective card though - while it's out, people just don't cast board wipes, so actually activating it is fairly rare. It does get exiled frequently though, so that's usually a signal in favor. Pretty fun if I can snag an Oblivion Stone or Nevinyrall's Disk.

The entire cycle is pretty interesting, but I think the only other one I've seen played is Soul of Innistrad - the immediate impact of the Titans is usually preferable to the activated abilities of the Souls. And that holds true when we compare Soul of New Phyrexia to the colorless Titans.

Sinis

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
The entire cycle is pretty interesting, but I think the only other one I've seen played is Soul of Innistrad
It's true that these are the only two I currently play. I think Soul of Theros could easily have a home in a creature-based life-gain deck.

I've tried to play Soul of Ravnica in 5-colour decks, but it hasn't worked out so far. My current 5-colour deck is Niv-Mizzet Reborn, who 'draws' so many cards that Soul of Ravnica would just be redundant (and feel bad).

Beyondnoxx
Temple of Mystery caretaker

Post by Beyondnoxx » 4 years ago

I have a special relationship with this One. In draft i have ridden to victory 3 times. As in 3-0. 3 different times. I was my mythic i always opened. Tried it in commander..But there are Better options
- Noxx
Pauper:N/A
Commander:N/A
Modern:N/A
Cards to sort: 80.000-85.000 :hmm:

3drinks

Fruday, August 9th, 2019; Nature's Blessing

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

The most interesting thing about this card is that, Riding the Dilu Horse style, this effect is permanent. And that's about it, really.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

3drinks

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
The most interesting thing about this card is that, Riding the Dilu Horse style, this effect is permanent. And that's about it, really.
I like that it's the best way to get access to banding. Permanently even.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

if i had green in my enduring ideal deck, I think i'd slot this card in it. I mean with ideal,it's like what else am i going to do with the cards in my hand?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

.H.

Post by .H. » 4 years ago

It's worth it to give creatures Banding just so you can direct your opponent to the Comprehensive Rules entry for Banding and see their confusion.

Like Chains of Mephistopheles or Ice Cauldron, Banding is really simple, it just take a ton of "game language" to formalize the rules on them.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

I guess I could give my opponents creatures banding and then accuse them of cheating every time they attack... because honestly how could they know if they were doing something incorrectly?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

I gotta disagree on "best source of banding", though. I think Helm of Chatzuk or Baton of Morale are also good sources because you're only going to need to give one creature banding on defense (it's not very useful offensively). And I would figure if there are multiple opponents in a position to attack you, they would hesitate to be the first to waste their attack with this rattlesnake at the ready.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Sinis

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Fruday, August 9th, 2019; Nature's Blessing
BANDING HYPE!!!

It's a cute combat trick. I opened a copy way back in Alliances, and I still have it. I have yet to play it, but I'm not convinced I will never play it.

3drinks

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
I gotta disagree on "best source of banding", though. I think Helm of Chatzuk or Baton of Morale are also good sources because you're only going to need to give one creature banding on defense (it's not very useful offensively). And I would figure if there are multiple opponents in a position to attack you, they would hesitate to be the first to waste their attack with this rattlesnake at the ready.
"Best" source, because this enchantment is permanent. Though yes I'm quite high on Helm and Baton both. And I'll disagree on it's offensive uses, when you need to punch through but don't have a clear attack, it can let you get in there. Although being limited to "each creature with banding plus up to one without" makes it hard to get enough of an attacking band started.

Don't get me started on the debacle that is "bands with others". :unamused:

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Don't get me started on the debacle that is "bands with others".
Image is so huge
Show
Hide

lyonhaert

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
And I'll disagree on it's offensive uses, when you need to punch through but don't have a clear attack, it can let you get in there.
Alright, I'll bite. Please explain that.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

I remember opening this in my first pack of Alliances. At the time I thought it was OP. (Because, you know, early sets, creatures and cards related to creatures.) Today, I...still have use for it, if I expect an Animar player to be running Blightsteel Colossus. (Yeah, you can actually direct trample in whole or in part to the blocking creature. And direct super trample to the blocking creature, but only wholly so.)
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

3drinks

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
And I'll disagree on it's offensive uses, when you need to punch through but don't have a clear attack, it can let you get in there.
You have a pair of 2/2s versus their 3/3 but it's really imperative you get in there for [reasons}. This way you can direct the damage to the body you care about least and also kill the blocker, rather than your opponent smashing a guy of their choice and still having their guy.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Don't get me started on the debacle that is "bands with others".
cringe intensifies

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

lyonhaert

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
You have a pair of 2/2s versus their 3/3 but it's really imperative you get in there for [reasons}. This way you can direct the damage to the body you care about least and also kill the blocker, rather than your opponent smashing a guy of their choice and still having their guy.
Ah, cool. Now I see what you mean.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”