The CCL Discussion Thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

A few hours remain to submit your critiques and/or top 3 for June's round 1 and 2. Please do so - even if you don't have time to critique a top 3 not only nets you a bonus point but helps immensely when I score the round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

@Subject16, you forgot to add rarity to your CCL submission.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

My explanation of my submission
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I figured that my submission would be a little controversial but that's why I submitted it. I would rather try something a little crazier than do something boring. The first iteration with detain was fine but so boring. So I just went with something that excites me.

I don't believe it's actually as broken as it looks however I will say it's probably something WOTC "won't print". I never really saw that as a good reason tho cuz I don't really believe a lot of what they say. Example:

This card to me is somewhere in between
Gaea's Cradle and Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. But it can be exiled with a Revoke Existence and 1 million other things. Plus you have to build around shrines, not creatures or cards with mana symbols or artifacts. Shrines specifically. I'm sure that WOTC would say that's not a good enough reason and that's not standard convention etc. I understand the argument and more or less agree.

Unfortunately that means cards like this which, IMO would actually make shrines competitive, because let's be honest they never will be without a strong enabler, are unprintable.

That's just my disagreement with wotcs sorta heavy handed approach to things and not a disagreement with the critiques. I appreciate everyone's critique I knew what I was making before I submitted it haha. Thanks everyone.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

MonoRedMage wrote:
3 years ago
Totally unacceptable, and if you think this is okay you should reevaluate how you look at cards at all.
Hey now, no need to be mean y'all. It's perfectly fine to criticize cards, and even okay to do so harshly if you feel the need to, but it's almost never acceptable to criticize people on this forum, especially if all they did was submit a busted-ass card.

@Pygyzy: I understand your argument, but I think the crucial element is that it starts out tapping for one mana of any color and therefore is one of the best lands ever printed even in a deck with no enchantment synergies or shrines. Even an insanely busted land like Gaea's Cradle doesn't fit in lots of decks because they're not green and/or don't have the creature density. This land would go in virtually every deck other than Tron. I submit to you the following card, which would also help the Shrines deck a great deal but would be far more balanced:

The Kamihara
Legendary Land (R)
T: Add C.
T: Add one mana of any color for each Shrine you control.
If an ability of a Shrine you control would trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.

Is it as elegant? No. Did I get the wording exactly right? Probably not. But it would stand a much better chance of serving its intended purpose rather than just being a $100 card.

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

Oof, I definitely came off a little harsh. Sorry, I don't mean to get personal! And it's arrogant of me to make assumptions.

My point is, though - if you have multiple people telling you your card is broken, you gotta step back and think about why that is... slimytrout's version is still really strong, especially since it has a free version of the Sanctum of All bonus ability, but at least it's just a super enabler for one deck/combo, and not an auto include in literally every deck.

Pygyzy

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Haha ok. It's all good. I coulda definitely spent more time balancing it. I just didn't have time to so I had to submit a boring card I didn't really like or try something way less boring. Your version slimytrout would probably be something close to what I'd end up with.

I know it's broken I just never bought the idea "it's broken so it's unprintable". Once Upon a Time I can take one look at that card and tell you it's broken. I don't believe that WOTC printed that card not knowing it was broken. That's what I'm saying. By WOTC standards I'd just make it mythic and say it's balanced.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

CCL round 1 entrants: Please remember the challenge is for a MONOCOLORED planeswalker.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

@Pygyzy @netn10 Your entries need to be monocolored

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Hey everyone - I think I've hit upon a solution to an ongoing issue. I'm going to condense hosting signups for the monthly contests into one thread here. If you want to host a CCL in the near future, please post there, even if you've already asked - this lets me reconfirm with all the potential hosts and keep their names and host months organized.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

The second round should be closed, should not be?

slimytrout

Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
@slimytrout: Double power? Try blocking. Does Vito somehow triple a creature's power in your math, since you actually gain the life? Too good for 3 mana and Rare? This is nowhere near T3feri's level.
Well, even if you block (barring sacrifice shenanigans) you still take damage equal to the creature's power, so in some scenarios that's even better than doubling the power. And no, I would say Vito also effectively doubles their power (for 5 mana), since I don't count lifegain anywhere near the rate of actual damage (there are no 2-mana 4/2's without downsides, but Mesa Unicorn is a perfectly acceptable card). I agree that this is substantially weaker than T3feri in constructed, but I think everyone would agree that that card was way too good for three mana -- there have been people calling for its banning ever since it was printed. And I actually think Illiya might be better in limited, although I admit that would be very format-dependent.
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
Did you intend to only gain 1 life for your attack step with the emblem?
I don't believe this is the case, although it's possible that I'm wrong -- I think that because it's all one effect, it will trigger in full each time a creature attacks, so it gains you 1 life for each attacking creature. You are probably right that there was a clearer way to write this though.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
3 years ago
Did you intend to only gain 1 life for your attack step with the emblem?
I don't believe this is the case, although it's possible that I'm wrong -- I think that because it's all one effect, it will trigger in full each time a creature attacks, so it gains you 1 life for each attacking creature. You are probably right that there was a clearer way to write this though.
Cleaning up any potential confusion is simple. Just switch it from "...attacking. You..." to "...attacking and you...". It's all part of the same trigger during the Declare Attackers step, so it should be part of the same sentence.

@void_nothing: Are we waiting for @Subject16's Top 3 before the next Round? I forget how scoring works for the CCL, so I'm not sure if Ink's one 1st beats my two 3rds.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

About 9 hours remain until crits are due for July's Top 4, and August's first round will be coming soon!

slimytrout

Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Angus's daughter? I always like seeing planeswalkers' families. It also pains me to see an archer without reach. Brienne also feels very small for a Giant, both in stats and mana cost, though maybe it's because she's still a child? I also find it interesting that Angus Greatfoot's strongest feature seems to be his biceps. The ability reminds me of Brion Stoutarm but aimed at creatures.
You came so close to the right answer here, and yet so far ;) This is Brion Stoutarm's daughter, hence the biceps reference and the similar ability and name. Angus is a giant from Lorwyn, which is why he follows their naming conventions and color scheme and why he knows Brion and Brienne.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

@slimytrout that makes sense then! The first thing that came to me when I saw that card was Niambi, Faithful Healer and I just followed through on 'planeswalker's daughter' from there. Her being Brion's daughter makes sense, and I guess the flavor text explains why her name isn't Stoutarm.

slimytrout

Yeah, my understanding is the Lorwyn giants don't have last names in the traditional sense -- for example, Brion Stoutarm and Rosheen Meanderer are siblings, so they seem to take on epithets as surnames, which is where Angus Greatfoot and Brienne Strongbow come from.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
Yeah, my understanding is the Lorwyn giants don't have last names in the traditional sense -- for example, Brion Stoutarm and Rosheen Meanderer are siblings, so they seem to take on epithets as surnames, which is where Angus Greatfoot and Brienne Strongbow come from.
That is absolutely correct. (My assumption is that Giants have no family names because they're few enough in number that first names can be unique in their culture.) They even change their names when something in their life changes.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

August CCL round 1 is missing mention of Crystalline Nautilus between the card tags. : )

Also I appreciate that all three types chosen for this round have only ever seen 2 cards each; one very new, one very old.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 3 years ago

Sorry for the delay - been a busy weekend. I'll get these up tonight.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

RaikouRider wrote:
3 years ago
Sorry for the delay - been a busy weekend. I'll get these up tonight.
Take your time and hope things are alright for you.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

For the naming of our cards, does it need to be explicit à la Chandra's Embercat, or can it make reference to a title, like how God-Pharaoh's Faithful refers to Bolas?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
For the naming of our cards, does it need to be explicit à la Chandra's Embercat, or can it make reference to a title, like how God-Pharaoh's Faithful refers to Bolas?
Latter example is fine. See clarifications actually.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Might I request an extension for the July finals? Been caught up in vacation.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sure - is 24 hours enough?

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

That'll suffice. I'll be able to set aside plenty of time for it late tonight.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”