[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

ZenN
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
*The problem is that thanks to required updates over the years, the "necessary" free apps and OS that it has came with have taken up almost 95% of the phone's built-in space. And since they are the free apps that were installed with the phone to keep its price down (got it for $40 way back when), they can't be deleted or moved to an SD card.
You could always root it, then have full freedom to do whatever you want. Could get rid of a bunch of the bloat on it that you don't need, or even just completely flash an entirely new ROM to the phone, using one of the popular lighter-weight open source version of Android. Lineage OS was very popular, last time I looked into this topic. There are tons and tons of tutorials and easy instructions out there to follow to do these things.

Absolute worst case scenario is you waste a bit of time and brick your phone, but then you're just back to buying a new one which you've already come to terms with. :P
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
*The problem is that thanks to required updates over the years, the "necessary" free apps and OS that it has came with have taken up almost 95% of the phone's built-in space. And since they are the free apps that were installed with the phone to keep its price down (got it for $40 way back when), they can't be deleted or moved to an SD card.
You could always root it, then have full freedom to do whatever you want. Could get rid of a bunch of the bloat on it that you don't need, or even just completely flash an entirely new ROM to the phone, using one of the popular lighter-weight open source version of Android. Lineage OS was very popular, last time I looked into this topic. There are tons and tons of tutorials and easy instructions out there to follow to do these things.

Absolute worst case scenario is you waste a bit of time and brick your phone, but then you're just back to buying a new one which you've already come to terms with. :P
That's probably not a bad idea. But this is giving me the push I need to upgrade my phone at least a little bit.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
I love my Maven ZTE
How much of a tech guy are you?

Because i used to flash Custom ROMs on all my Android devices. Not only do you get rid off pre-installed crap, but Android versions your phone would've never gotten otherwise.
From my experience Android versions past Nougat were sleeker and faster than those before. Who knows, your Maven might be ready for a few more years?
I highly advice you to take a look at XDA Developers for more.

ps: Oh, got beaten to it. Only saw the additional reply once my reply was posted. Another page and all.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

I guess all that insider trading that the RC gets accused of isn't paying off since they now have a Patreon.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

freelunch
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by freelunch » 3 years ago

vandertroll wrote:
3 years ago
I was talking with my buddy who introduced me to magic back in the 90's and we got some nostalgia about our first 60 card kitchen table decks and the Emperor variant. Did anyone play it? Did anyone try it with Commander decks?
Played Emperor a few times at one of the old LGSs in town. I remember one time we were playing on the anniversary of a famous WWII battle and each team represented a side in the battle. That was pretty cool, but I'm sorry I don't remember what day or battle we were reenacting.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

So instead of getting a new phone, I bought a new car instead over the weekend. :woozy:

I didn't really need to, but Friday night I took my 2015 Kia Soul into Firestone for an oil change (that got delayed because of the pandemic) and at 42,000 miles it was getting close to where a lot of general maintenance was going to be needed in the next year or so (new tires, fuel system thingy, brake flushing thingy [If you can't tell, I don't know much more about cars than oil changes and how to fix a flat tire]) which would've cost at least $600, but probably more.

Well my parents' house is literally across the street from the Firestone, so I had dinner with them while they were doing my oil change and I was complaining to them about this, my dad is like "There probably aren't a whole lot of 2015 Kia Souls in as good of condition as yours and under 50,000 miles, so why we don't we go tomorrow and see what number they throw at you. It's near the end of the month, and the best thing... You don't need to buy."

I was like okay. So we meet at the Kia dealership on Saturday and five and a half hours later I walked out of their with a new 2020 Kia Soul (Gravity Grey), which I picked up yesterday (they had to swap a vehicle to a Kia dealership in Rockford, IL for it). It's a nice upgrade, with a ton of new features (Heated Mirrors :party: ) from my old Soul seeing as the 2015 was the second generation and the 2020 is the third generation.

Plus I got a great deal not only from it being end of the month, but also end of the model year (2021 Souls are coming in this month). Well that, and my dad absolutely dragged the salesman and the dealership manager through the fire during negotiations. I almost felt bad for them. My dad got them to come up on my trade in and lower the price, lowering the total price by over a third from their first offer.

It's still a little surreal, since the last time I bought a car I waited so long that I knew I was going to need to get a new car a couple of months before I did it. If you asked me Friday morning if I was going to buy a new car over the weekend I would've laughed at you over the absurdity of it.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

so, a content creator got kicked out of the creator program

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

I filled up my car with gas for the first time today since the Covid shutdown originally happened. I remember filling up that first week and I finally just today put another 7.5 gallons in my car something like.... 3+ months later.

I feel like I am paying wayyyyy too much for insurance given this.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Shabbaman
crying casual
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Shabbaman » 3 years ago

vandertroll wrote:
3 years ago
I was talking with my buddy who introduced me to magic back in the 90's and we got some nostalgia about our first 60 card kitchen table decks and the Emperor variant. Did anyone play it? Did anyone try it with Commander decks?
I've played Emperor with 60 card decks, and I've even tried a game of Emperor EDH. Playing EDH with 6 players just takes too long.
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

This is truly the most offtopic of the offtopic but I've been thinking about trying some meal replacement shakes since I'm honestly just kinda tired of fixing food all the damn time - I used to drink protein shakes for a meal a day when I was working out heavily but their nutrition leaves something to be desired most of the time.

Anyone tried Huel? It looks fairly well balanced from a nutrition perspective and not to be overloaded with soy (which I'm a little sensitive to).

Annnnd if you *have* and recommend it can you hook a brother up with a discount code ;)

Any other recommendations for nutrient dense meal replacements?

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I have always contemplated a meal replacement, but honestly I have a hard time working while hungry. Its probably something I could get used to but getting used to it is something I continue to not do.

When it comes to weekends I skip meals all the time and it doesn't bother me but when at work, ohhhhh man its hard for me to focus while hungry.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

Yeah... I have no excuse since I've been working from home prior to quarantine... but somehow during quarantine I started stockpiling snacks in my office, and work snacking has had a terrible effect on me.

not-a-cube

Post by not-a-cube » 3 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
but somehow during quarantine I started stockpiling snacks in my office
You're not the only one, I'm currently forcing myself to only have fruit and vegetables at home for a while, till I get past the need for unhealthy snacks.
EDH Decks:
Queen Marchesa
Chainer, Dementia Master
Will Kenrith
Bruna, the fading light

pokken

I ordered some vite ramen, since I love ramen and they seem like a super cool company. Kinda like meal replacement shake in ramen form lol :P

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I ordered some vite ramen, since I love ramen and they seem like a super cool company. Kinda like meal replacement shake in ramen form lol :P
What you just described is like...... lumpy shake.... I don't know that that makes me hungry lol.

pokken

lol, it's just normal ramen but fortified with all the stuff in a meal replacement shake. vitamins and stuff. and higher protein iirc.

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

This is the first week I've been without a brace for the hand injury I mentioned a few weeks back and I want to die. ;-;

On the upside, at some point I apparently dislocated my thumb at the joint and accidentally popped it back in to place while using it so I've got that going for me.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Airi wrote:
3 years ago
This is the first week I've been without a brace for the hand injury I mentioned a few weeks back and I want to die. ;-;

On the upside, at some point I apparently dislocated my thumb at the joint and accidentally popped it back in to place while using it so I've got that going for me.
I feel like every time I see you post something has happened to you. Does the hospital have a permanent name plate for your door yet?

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Airi wrote:
3 years ago

I feel like every time I see you post something has happened to you. Does the hospital have a permanent name plate for your door yet?
That's what a chronic illness and clumsiness will get you, lol. Though, to be fair, I haven't posted a ton lately because of the hand injury.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

So now that Arena is available on Macs I have been playing a bunch of brawl. It still beats standard, and I have no intention of playing Commander in-person right now.

Brawl is weird. I mean, it seems like the best decks are still UGx - ramp, card draw and fatties.
60 card decks are forgiving. I have a mono-red Krenko deck and it would suck if I had to dilute the strategy by making it 100 cards.

I will say that I wish there was a small payment (like 5 gold) to play a game of brawl. I can't tell you how many times I have had my opponent scoop super early. Bolt the bird? Scoop. Counter your general? Scoop. Cast a 3 drop? Scoop.

I find that I really miss the social aspect of magic. I have played in person once since February - and it was with a family member. I just don't see myself meeting up with multiple friends that all have different ideas of what is safe.

Any of you played around with Arena? I know MTGO would be better for commander, but my Mac did not like it when I ran a virtual PC and it crashed constantly.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Get your friends onto Discord and Cockatrice. It's not quite paper, but it's honestly pretty good.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
Get your friends onto Discord and Cockatrice. It's not quite paper, but it's honestly pretty good.
I'd recommend the same if you have enough close friends to put together an online meta. I don't, so my games are usually in store with the regulars there (we're not in lockdown anymore) or online via untap.

Honestly, 'trice is probably miles better than untap. There's a lot of games that are pretty mismatched, pseudo-cEDH players looking for easy beats. You can see them a mile off though, so it's easy enough to just find another game. It's better than nothing, and an easy way to playtest or get games in if you can't meet in person.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 3 years ago

Can wholeheartedly recommend Cockatrice, I just fell off the playgroup here due to work slowly grinding me to a fine paste and not being able to muster the energy.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
So I have some friends using Discord with Arena FNM drafts. I am not available on Friday nights so I don't take part. I think it's a cool innovation and could definitely see putting it together with Cockatrice.

I just personally have an issue with starting on cockatrice. I guess I should see if anyone would be interested.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

This headline from The Onion really gave me a good laugh today (plus the picture accompanying the article really sells it):

Ornithologists Attribute Owls' Nocturnal Lifestyle To Hard Cocaine Habit

The article is pretty good to. It's right up there with their coverage of Tim Duncan, Diamond Joe & Friends, and an unfortunate, but understandable announcement from Twisted Sister.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”