Noah Bradley "let go" by wotc?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Not sure where to post this topic, a mod please close this thread if not allowed.
Today, I was at another forum, then saw a post saying Noah Bradley was "let go" by wotc. Is there a truth to this? Would he still be doing mtg art or not?

The news surprised me.. so need a bit of verification on this.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks, so it's true after all.

another artist bites the dust.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I was thinking about it and you know how many amazing artists there are in the world? So dang many. I have multiple friends who are artists of a quality to draw magic cards.

Not like there's a shortage of amazing artists who aren't creepers.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

I guess there really is a legit reason to kick him out.

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

At least this is a legit reason based on (seemingly) criminal behavior. You will notice, however, that they are unwilling to fork over the cash to make sure his upcoming art doesn't get printed. Their principles are less important than their bottom line it seems.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
At least this is a legit reason based on (seemingly) criminal behavior. You will notice, however, that they are unwilling to fork over the cash to make sure his upcoming art doesn't get printed. Their principles are less important than their bottom line it seems.
As a business, this is the one thing you can count on.

Their principles only exist to further their bottom line. Though most people create their principles retroactively as well.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 3 years ago

I agree that using the art he already produced undermines their argument (and let's face it, companies tend to allow bad behavior until they feel public pressure), but their stance isn't that his art is offensive, but that they do not want to continue to employ someone who does what he did. They already paid for the art that he already delivered, so printing that art is not continuing his employment. It would have been a stronger statement if they replaced the art for all upcoming sets, rather than just the ones that are furthest out or easiest to change (because they have actually said they are replacing some of his art), but it's not itself a necessary step, especially considering how far in advance of releases that product gets made, packaged, and shipped.

That said, I'm interested in how aware wizards was of this guy's behavior over the years. Keep in mind this is in the context of the company having a controversy over how they choose to hire artists and accusations of racial discrimination being levies at them. This guy's art isn't bad, but it's not great or special, and if he had these rumors dogging him but they picked him over similarly talented artists who aren't creepers that's a bad look.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
This is the crux of the issue for me. I don't expect WotC to vet the personal lives of their artists, but I do expect them to listen when allegations come to light. This whole thing bums me out though. I met him at a GP and he was really cool. He signed a bunch of cards, talked with me about a few of them, etc. I'm a big fan of is work. I cannot, however, turn a blind eye to his behavior, and I think this is the right move.

Side note, can you imagine how many awesome Louis CK specials we'd have had by now if he wasn't a horrible sex monster?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I saw a few people on twitter retweet something Noah shared a few days before WotC made their announcement. Once I saw Noah's post, I wasn't surprised WotC took this action.

Getting rid of any associations with people like this is the correct move

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
This is the crux of the issue for me. I don't expect WotC to vet the personal lives of their artists, but I do expect them to listen when allegations come to light. This whole thing bums me out though. I met him at a GP and he was really cool. He signed a bunch of cards, talked with me about a few of them, etc. I'm a big fan of is work. I cannot, however, turn a blind eye to his behavior, and I think this is the right move.

Side note, can you imagine how many awesome Louis CK specials we'd have had by now if he wasn't a horrible sex monster?
As he wasn't particularly funny to begin with, just crass, none?

I can't really say I am surprised that WotC are cutting him off, If even half the things I've heard about Noah is true, then he is a real piece of work.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
robertleva wrote:
3 years ago
As a business, this is the one thing you can count on.

Their principles only exist to further their bottom line. Though most people create their principles retroactively as well.
Lol spot on!
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I was thinking about it and you know how many amazing artists there are in the world? So dang many. I have multiple friends who are artists of a quality to draw magic cards.

sorry, forgot to reply to this.

yeah, I agree. Have been seeing some fanart floating around google that are just as good as real mtg cards.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”