[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

@Guardman If demand and prices keep going up I would assume that would encourage competition to the market. I think right now there are a lot of people who are looking for entertainment at home as well as a cut back in production which is probably driving some of the price hikes.

Hopefully it will recover in the future because honestly getting a new PC would be very hard with these price hikes. What used to be a $900-1000 setup is running about $1700 right now.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

freelunch
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by freelunch » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I made my current PC like six months before Overwatch released and its starting to show its age.
I thought back recently to when my last build was completed. 2012. Then I realized that was 8 years ago. Just purchased Kingdom Come: Deliverance during the Steam Summer Sale thing. I can still run it on Medium settings with about 50 fps!

Definitely due to upgrade soon, but the spike in demand has not played out well in component prices.

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

Nevermind the pandemic and everything else, I'd avoid buying right now for an entirely different reason. Ryzen 4000 chips are set to release later this year, as well as the next gen of GPUs from nVidia. When these things come out, the current Ryzen 3000 CPUs and the GeForce 20xx cards will start to drop in price, especially with those releases happening around the same time as things like Black Friday. Late autumn is almost always the best time to be building a PC.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

I made a couple substantial upgrades (read: everything but the GPU, power supply, and case) earlier this year so I could send my brother-in-law a bunch of the old parts. Motivation there was that I was about due for an upgrade with most of the parts being 5-7 years old and he's a recent college grad stuck at home in a rural area, so he appreciated getting an older but passable setup for pretty much just the cost of the case and power supply. All of that was just before we all got told to stay home and it ended up being great timing.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

I think I still have a decent graphics card (GeForce GTX 1060 6GB),but I know i should upgrade my mobo and chip( AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor),but that would also more than likely require a new case.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

freelunch

Post by freelunch » 3 years ago

Unless you went with a strange layout for some reason, don't most cases on the market fit ATX and ITX motherboards? The only functional reasons I've needed a new case in the last 20 years has been to either 1) mount larger fans that spin more slowly so the case is quieter, or 2) GPUs are loooooong these days and some wouldn't fit in my old case. My fiance is actually using my old case right now.

(There's plenty of non-functional reasons to want a new case, too. If you just want more RGB or better looks, go right ahead.)

Hermes_

freelunch wrote:
3 years ago
Unless you went with a strange layout for some reason, don't most cases on the market fit ATX and ITX motherboards? The only functional reasons I've needed a new case in the last 20 years has been to either 1) mount larger fans that spin more slowly so the case is quieter, or 2) GPUs are loooooong these days and some wouldn't fit in my old case. My fiance is actually using my old case right now.

(There's plenty of non-functional reasons to want a new case, too. If you just want more RGB or better looks, go right ahead.)
my current case

this is more or less the computer https://www.newegg.com/cyberpowerpc-gam ... 6883230148

I've added a second ssd and upgraded the power supply to 500W

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Heh, me reading the recent discourse in the thread has informed Big Brother that I'm in the market for a gaming PC and my Facebook ads are now crawling with PC building. Amusing. Still not as spooky as targeted ads for batteries popping up after I bought a pack of Duracells at the local supermarket without talking to anyone anywhere about my need for AAs, and paying for it via a physical plastic card.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
Heh, me reading the recent discourse in the thread has informed Big Brother that I'm in the market for a gaming PC and my Facebook ads are now crawling with PC building. Amusing. Still not as spooky as targeted ads for batteries popping up after I bought a pack of Duracells at the local supermarket without talking to anyone anywhere about my need for AAs, and paying for it via a physical plastic card.
If you want spooky, when I was in a Marketing class in college we did a case study where Target sent a 16-year old girl ads for diapers and other baby products. This, obviously, sent her father into a fury and he made a big deal about it and demanded an apology from Target, which they gave him and promised to change their algorithm (basically they won't be as blunt about it).

The funny thing (Not haha funny, unless you have my sense of humor. I'm dark like that. :love: ) is that it turned out she really was pregnant and from her subtle shift in buying habits, such as buying unscented hand lotion instead of scented, Target was able to figure this out. And in fact Target was extremely accurate (If I remember right, it was like around 80-90%) in telling when a woman was pregnant. This was way back in 2008, so it should be even better at predicting these things now.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

We have added our logo as well as a couple of other designs to the Inked Gaming site!

https://www.inkedgaming.com/collections ... s/mtgnexus
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

I know I'm late to this but if you think Chicago has it bad try Minnesota/the Dakotas. They are considered top 5 of the most extreme temperature shifts through the year. No where else on earth have I experienced a 80 degree shift in less than 24 hrs.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Hermes_

I found a youtube play list called "The Millennial Mixtape" and most of it i consider trash lol

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 years ago

That Target targeted ad story is incredible. My wife and I joke about this stuff all the time by speaking loudly and waiting for our electronics to present us info via their constant spying. "Gosh honey I wish I knew when Brooklyn 99 comes back this season" *Google feed suddenly contains several Brooklyn 99 stories*.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

@TheAmericanSpirit: That really, really sucks. It's a fringe 'movement' so I wouldn't worry too much about being mistaken for one of them at the moment, but if press coverage and visibility of the group increases, you may want to rethink it.

Anyway, I played three excellent games of Commander last night at my LGS, and all I can say is that I'm very happy. I'd been jonesing for months, all three games were just long enough with plenty of back and forth, and my much tweaked Lord of Tresserhorn deck actually functioned as designed. It was great to be playing again.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

@TheAmericanSpirit: I've been thinking about it as well for a while now as a person who enjoys wearing the occasional Hawaiian shirt. And I believe the right thing to do is to keep on wearing them. Don't let them co-op a neutral item for hate. Don't give them the power to turn something you love into a tool for violence and ignorance. If you let them use it without a fight, then they have won. Maybe not the war, but at least a battle. And they don't deserve to win %$#%. Go out there and wear it proudly, saying that no, this shirt represents love. Because when life gives you lemons, you don't make lemonade, you burn life's house down!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

@Guardman it's been too long since I've heard the lemon rant. Cave might be insane, but you gotta be inspired by the man's sheer gusto.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
I know I'm late to this but if you think Chicago has it bad try Minnesota/the Dakotas. They are considered top 5 of the most extreme temperature shifts through the year. No where else on earth have I experienced a 80 degree shift in less than 24 hrs.
Yea............ sometimes it feels like it goes straight from winter to summer and then back to winter out here. Like you will have snow one day and then next week its like 90 freaking degrees. I am very happy that I moved out of the center of the plains because it was also extremely humid where I used to be given being right next to the Missouri river. Its at least slightly less terrible where I am now but still in SD.

I got snow in June like two years ago. That........ was something........ it wasn't like wake up to a light dusting either it was like hey, have 6" kinda snow...
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Hermes_

so,i went on userbench marks and ran their software

UserBenchmarks: Game 42%, Desk 39%, Work 32%
CPU: AMD FX-6300 - 48.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 53.4%
SSD: Sandisk SD8SBBU120G1122 120GB - 19.6%
SSD: SSD 240GB - 30.6%
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - 56.9%
RAM: Unknown 2x4GB - 38.8%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
so,i went on userbench marks and ran their software

UserBenchmarks: Game 42%, Desk 39%, Work 32%
CPU: AMD FX-6300 - 48.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 53.4%
SSD: Sandisk SD8SBBU120G1122 120GB - 19.6%
SSD: SSD 240GB - 30.6%
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB - 56.9%
RAM: Unknown 2x4GB - 38.8%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
I usually use PassMark for my benching, but using that tool you linked I end up with...

UserBenchmarks: Game 77%, Desk 109%, Work 87%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 79.1%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 - 75%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 268.9%
SSD: Crucial MX200 500GB - 96.1%
RAM: G Skill Intl F4-3600C18-8GTZRX 2x8GB - 102.8%
MBD: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

So that's fun.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Rorseph » 3 years ago

UserBenchmarks: Game 13%, Desk 52%, Work 34%
CPU: Intel Core i7-3520M - 55.1%
GPU: Intel HD 4000 (Mobile 1.25 GHz) - 2.3%
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 59.3%
RAM: Unknown 2x8GB - 52.3%
MBD: Lenovo 2429CTO

This is the only Windows machine I have at home. Not bad for an 8 year old laptop that mostly gets used for music production!
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

With this post, I have 666 posts. I feel like I should refrain from posting for a few days to just sit on this :P

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Apparently I'm not using any of my parts to their full potential. Part of that right now is that I need to clear up some space on my SSDs. The amount of other stuff I have running right now may not have done me any favors either.

UserBenchmarks: Game 95%, Desk 74%, Work 88%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - 74.6%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 - 109.3%
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - 78.6%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 69.3%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 67.4%
HDD: Microsoft Storage Space Device 999GB - 63.4%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 C18 2x16GB - 32.4%
MBD: Asus ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 3 years ago

I was talking with my buddy who introduced me to magic back in the 90's and we got some nostalgia about our first 60 card kitchen table decks and the Emperor variant. Did anyone play it? Did anyone try it with Commander decks?
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

I used to play that on a semi-regular basis with 60 card casual decks. It feels like it would work worse the more optimized the decks get, particularly if the emperors are playing combo decks. If you intentionally dial it down a little, I could see it still being fun.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

So I finally need to get a new phone. I love my Maven ZTE, but it is showing its age (5-6 years old), and it has a weird, impossible to fix problem*. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I am looking for something cheap, in the $100 to $200 range. I'm not a "phone guy", so I don't really use it for anything other phone calls, texts, and checking the weather. I would like it to be able to take okay pictures. But other than that I would like it to be on the smaller side and sturdy. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

*The problem is that thanks to required updates over the years, the "necessary" free apps and OS that it has came with have taken up almost 95% of the phone's built-in space. And since they are the free apps that were installed with the phone to keep its price down (got it for $40 way back when), they can't be deleted or moved to an SD card.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”