The MCC Discussion Thread

Rithaniel
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rithaniel » 3 years ago

Alright, I'm gonna weigh in on this too.

The big topic at hand is subjectivity. Now, this is actually something that you can see in any situation where a person judges anything. Like, in an Olympic diving competition, a situation where objectivity should be valued above all else, one judge might still assign a different score than another judge. This is because of subjective interpretations of the divers performance. This should indicate to you that, even at the highest level, subjectivity is something you wont be able to escape.

On the particular matters we're looking at right now, though, Ryder suggested a revision to the MCC rubric, with the suggested goal of increasing clarity and perhaps objectivity in judging. The issue I see in this is that this arose solely from Ryder's mind, and so this revised rubric is instilled with Ryder's subjective views about how a judging should be performed. So, it wouldn't necessarily increase the measure of objective quality, unless that objective quality is "how well this card aligns with Ryder's opinions." We always need to be aware that our own opinions have a degree of subjectivity in them, even if our end goal is an objective measure.

One particular example from the suggested rubric is that one point was taken away from viability and added to balance. The thought here, I presume, would be that balance is more important than viability, but this is very much a subjective thought. Like, if I were judging a card that was perfectly balanced, but nonviable to the point of comedy, against a card that was entirely viable but had poor balance, why should the balanced card be passed more easily? Regardless of how you answer this (even if you have a very compelling argument and convince me that you are correct), your answer will be tinged by a degree of your opinion. It is far more "objective" to weigh different categories equally, because then you aren't letting potential subjective thoughts invade your evaluation. You're being strict with yourself and making certain that you don't lean one way or another.

But, again, you can't escape subjectivity. Even if we make the rubric such that it should be entirely objective and clear, a judge might interpret things different from another judge. Like, perhaps one judge thinks Spike would be more interested in this design than another judge does. What if one judge understands a design at first glance and another judge takes six readings to parse it? What if a judge feels that a design would warp a format more than another judge does?

Here's the thing: These splits in opinion are good. They indicate to us that we have more to learn. A person's approach to the game should be heard, even if it might not align with our own. We need to be willing to adjust our own thoughts when new ideas are introduced to us. If you make things too rigid or precise, then you kind of close the door to new people.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 3 years ago

Reply to @Rithaniel
Rithaniel wrote:
3 years ago
On the particular matters we're looking at right now, though, Ryder suggested a revision to the MCC rubric...
Obviously any changes (if any) would be applied only after thorough discussion here and after a trial period, as stated by the guidelines. So it's not "Ryder's rubric", but "the rubric the community agreed upon starting from a thought by Ryder". Ryder, just like any other user, including me and the moderator, doesn't have the power to impose "his own rubric" to the contest. Nobody has that power.
Rithaniel wrote:
3 years ago
The thought here, I presume, would be that balance is more important than viability, but this is very much a subjective thought.
Yes, this was said earlier in this discussion, that Balance is more important than Viability, but as the person that's been called the most important in the contest, I'll tell you that I personally don't agree with that. My opinion is that they should be judged in the same way, exactly for the reasons you detail. In my long post yesterday, I said that a card could be unprintable because it's a color pie break, it breaks the rules, or is the wrong rarity (I can't reprint Baneslayer Angel as a common), and those are all Viability reasons. Of course, it could also be unprintable for some Balance issues in some format.

And I will go even further than you: every thought is a subjective one. Every thought is a product of somebody's mind. This is true here and IRL.
Rithaniel wrote:
3 years ago
These splits in opinion are good.
I personally agree with most of what you've written, but honestly not with this. And yes, this is absolutely my own subjective thought, exactly how them being good is yours. And neither of us is objectively wrong or right.

But I'll go even further here too: do objective right and wrong even exist? Maybe, or maybe not. I don't know. And anyway, I would not like this discussion to turn into a phylosophical one.
Rithaniel wrote:
3 years ago
A person's approach to the game should be heard, even if it might not align with our own
I personally, as a host, have never told a judge: "I don't share your opinion so change it" not even once, and I would never do. On the contrary, having judges who each have their own way to judge is not a problem to me, even though I still think that subjectivity is not desirable.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 3 years ago

bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
Obviously any changes (if any) would be applied only after thorough discussion here and after a trial period, as stated by the guidelines. So it's not "Ryder's rubric", but "the rubric the community agreed upon starting from a thought by Ryder". Ryder, just like any other user, including me and the moderator, doesn't have the power to impose "his own rubric" to the contest. Nobody has that power.
Yeah, no worries, I realize that. I targeted my response at the rubric because I wanted to be precise with what I said and provide a lens to how I feel about and approach these things. The rubric gave me something to talk about.
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
I personally agree with most of what you've written, but honestly not with this. And yes, this is absolutely my own subjective thought, exactly how them being good is yours. And neither of us is objectively wrong or right.
Yeah, I agree with the "live and let live" mentality. Perhaps I could expand upon my view, however:

I would actually say that there is a "best option," but it's a goal that's moving about. Even if you pinpoint it in one situation, it will be different in the next situation. The thing about differences in opinion is that they provide more of a "cloud" of viewpoints. If only one viewpoint prevails, then sometimes it will be correct and sometimes it won't. If you have a cloud of viewpoints, then you have a better chance of keeping that mobile "best option" inside that cloud.
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
I personally, as a host, have never told a judge: "I don't share your opinion so change it" not even once, and I would never do.
Yeah, I feel we're all on the same page on this one. :grin:
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 3 years ago

Let's go through each section together and share thoughts.

Appeal
Txmmy/Jxnny/Spike is the classic trio.
Should it be the design goal to please them all? Can focused designs be more rewarded?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Ryder wrote:
3 years ago

Appeal
Should it be the design goal to please them all? Can focused designs be more rewarded?
For this contest? Yes, that should be the goal (in order to get full points in this category, cards pass rounds with 2 or 1 in Appeal all the time because they're, i.e. Txmmy-only cards but are really polished and great designs).

Why? Not because I want to actually penalize making one-psychographic cards, but because it's hard to make a home run appeal card that doesn't fail in some other way, and because I only want to give perfect scores to home runs.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Rithaniel wrote:
3 years ago
I would actually say that there is a "best option," but it's a goal that's moving about. Even if you pinpoint it in one situation, it will be different in the next situation. The thing about differences in opinion is that they provide more of a "cloud" of viewpoints. If only one viewpoint prevails, then sometimes it will be correct and sometimes it won't. If you have a cloud of viewpoints, then you have a better chance of keeping that mobile "best option" inside that cloud.
@Rithaniel, This is a very interesting thought in my opinion. Thank you. Does a best option even exist?
Ryder wrote:
3 years ago

Appeal
@Ryder, you choose to begin with the hardest point to discuss in the rubric. I've seen a lot of different opinions since 2010, when I was still a lurker, who would then actively join the community in 2014, and today is apparently the most important person in this contest. All those opinions can essentially be summarized into two schools of thought. One is that Appeal should be about "pleasing them all", for the reasons void_nothing details in the post right above mine. The other is to see which of the three psychographics the card is for and judge in Appeal how fun the card is for its intended psychographic. I don't know which one is right, I only know that it's a debate that's been going on for ten years at least, with no definitive solution. Unfortunately, the odds of solving this issue, of different judges interpreting Appeal in either way, are very low in my opinion. But don't worry, my friend, I haven't given up yet on reaching a common solution. Let's go on! I'm with you in making the discussion go on.

The way I personally judge Appeal? Here you go:

For each psychographic:
• 0: this psychographic just doesn't care about the card.
• 0.5: this psychographic likes the card, but there are some problems.
• 1: this psychographic loves the card and there are no problems.

That gives a base score. After that, I make deductions or increases (usually no more than 0.5) depending on how excited the card makes its intended audience. So yes, I'm trying to take the best of both worlds. Judging each psychographic separately while also keeping into account who the card is for. At least, this is what I try to do with my way of judging Appeal. I don't know if mine is the best way to judge Appeal, but it's the one that I've developed through the years to try to keep into account both aspects, because I see reason in both approaches.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
Show
Hide
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

My round 2 judgments will come early tomorrow.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

I'll be finished late tomorrow evening. These are taking significantly longer than I anticipated.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Ryder

Okay, I don't see any meaningful ways to modify Appeal. What I do believe is that we may add a reminder in the rubric what these T/J/S really care for.
Current Status
Show
Hide
Design
Appeal X/3
Up to 1 point for each base player psychographic (Timmy/Tammy, Johnny/Jenny, Spike). The best design appeals to all 3.
(Reminder of T/J/S traits)
Now Elegance. I think it's the most vague point. I'll just quote my initial proposition and let's discuss.
I wrote:Grokkability: -0.5 if the card isn't fully understandable at first glance. -1 if the card needs more than two passes to get it. -2 for most confusing cards.
Wordiness: -0.5 if the card has more than five lines of rules text. -1 if the card has more than seven lines of rules text. Reminder text counts. -2 for ridiculously wordy cards.
Finesse: -0.5 if the card is too focused on one thing, -0.5 if the card lacks focus / has too many different effects.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 years ago

See, elegance is one of the categories that I think *least* needs a list of itemized deductions, because it's so much a matter of gut instincts: Would players remember what the card actually does, or is it Questing Beast? Do all the elements of the card seem to reinforce each other, or is it Questing Beast? Would all the text actually fit on the card, or is it Questing Beast? Overall, do you look at it and go, "Oh, this makes sense?" or "Wait, what the hell does all this have to do with being hunted by King Arthur?"

If we were going to move to a list of deductions, I especially dislike the deduction for being too focused on one thing -- that might cause a lack of appeal and/or balance, but there's nothing inelegant about, say Flourishing Fox even though it's clearly quite focused.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Again, I'm sorry Ryder, but this is not the way I judge. I build up, I don't deduct down. That's true everywhere except Quality. That's the only area I use deductions. More detailed comments will have to wait because of RL things (read: my moving).

In other news, my judgments have been posted in the round thread. I'm only waiting on Sojourner Dusk to be done and then Round 3 will come, hopefully before Thursday.
Show
Hide

slimytrout

bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
(more speed equals less detail)
Hopefully less detail doesn't mean none ;) (Seems like you forgot to actually post your judgements and just posted the final scores.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

There ARE no judgments in the post though, just scores.

Was that intentional?

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 3 years ago

Round 2 is done. It was closer than I thought it would be.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Ryder

I would first like to convince you to accept the deduction-based approach. I came to like it, as I considered what the player has to do to earn the points here. The answer is, nothing.

Big Nothing 0
Instant (R)

The above card should score 3/3 in Elegance, wouldn't you agree?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

No, I don't agree.

An instant or sorcery with no text at all would confuse a lot of people at first blush. It does something so against expectations, and breaks a fundamental expectation, such that it can't be considered a 100% elegant card.

Ryder

Huh, you got me here, void. I can't say I totally disagree.

Furthermore, what caught my attention was the word "expectations".
Is Elegance about meeting them then?

slimytrout

bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
What's this name? I feel like I'm missing something here... and Google doesn't help. The only thing I recognize is the "Ankyl" part that's clearly tied to the Antelope part, but "okapi" for a dinosaur? I can't remember any dinosaur with that name, and as I've already said in the past, I've always been a huge fan of dinosaurs.
Not a big deal, but actually the "Ankyl" is the dinosaur part, as in Ankylosaurus, while Okapi is the name of a member of the Giraffid family, but the previous example of an Okapi in Magic was an Antelope so I used that.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Round 3 is up.

I had forgotten the last step in my judging process. I had it all in a Word file, but I hadn't copied and pasted the judgments from there to here. My bad. I apologize to everyone.
slimytrout wrote:
3 years ago
bravelion83 wrote:
3 years ago
What's this name? I feel like I'm missing something here... and Google doesn't help. The only thing I recognize is the "Ankyl" part that's clearly tied to the Antelope part, but "okapi" for a dinosaur? I can't remember any dinosaur with that name, and as I've already said in the past, I've always been a huge fan of dinosaurs.
Not a big deal, but actually the "Ankyl" is the dinosaur part, as in Ankylosaurus, while Okapi is the name of a member of the Giraffid family, but the previous example of an Okapi in Magic was an Antelope so I used that.
The ankylosaurus, sure! How could I forgot about it? In the same way that I forgot a card from Guilds of Ravnica, that isn't too far yet. Thank you for explaining.

About Elegance, I agree with void_nothing, that card doesn't deserve a 3/3 at all. To me Elegance is not so much about expectation, but about comprehension complexity and grokkability. That card would just confuse players, especially less experienced ones. "Why did they print a card that literally does nothing?" and they spend more time trying to understand that rather than actually playing. Kinda like when you see One with Nothing for the first time.

Just so that everybody knows, starting right now, I won't be available until my moving is done (it's tomorrow) and I've rested a little. Which means we will see again probably on the 26th. I had synchonized all deadlines around this. See you all in a couple of days.
Show
Hide

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 years ago

Do our submissions need to specifically use cycling, or would typecycling qualify?

Ryder

Alright, I'll tackle the specific rubric issues now.

Main Challenge shouldn't have 2 points for it. I'd argue it shouldn't have any points awarded for meeting it. Either the card passes the MC or it doesn't (it's a DQ then).

I propose to shift these two points to Balance and Subchallenges (here I propose a variable number of subchallenges, 1 to 3 and dividing the rewards accordingly).

Ryder

@Subject16 since this month is about Ikoria, I'd assume the strict version.

@Henlock
@Freyleyes
Design deadline is due today ;)

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

I'm back and in the new house. I'm sorry for the delay but I've spent the last two nights looking for the power cable and the network card in all my boxes that still fill my new room. Without those I obviously couldn't connect to the internet, but now I've finally found them and I can connect. Take a guess in the end where the network card components were? In the box of the challenger deck with Goblin Chainwhirler on it. Ok, going back to work in my room.
Last edited by bravelion83 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

But the design deadline isn't for almost 8 hours!

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

In fact I got it wrong. My bad. And we still miss a player. Ok, Leo. Everything's fine.
Subject16 wrote:
3 years ago
Do our submissions need to specifically use cycling, or would typecycling qualify?
Letter of the law: anything that goes under the cycling entry of the CR is good. Spirit of the law: use only cycling specifically because that's what's in Ikoria.
Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”