[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

ZenN
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

My desktop isn't static, so, rather than just a picture...

Here's what I've got going on right now.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago
I still make all my computer backgrounds the same thing:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Black thatch.
tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago
Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
3 years ago
tstorm: that pattern makes my eyes go all wonky. Aagh. :P
You dont like Windows 95 aesthetic?
I am pretty sure I used that background for my MySpace page way back in the day.
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
I'm thinking of doing HAL from 2001 for my phone's background lol
Neat. But be careful that your phone doesn't try to throw you into the vacuum of space.
ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
My desktop isn't static, so, rather than just a picture...

Here's what I've got going on right now.
That is awesome. How do you get a moving background like that?

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
That is awesome. How do you get a moving background like that?
That particular one comes from an application called Wallpaper Engine (available on Steam).
Ton of variety of stuff available, and relatively easy to make your own. That one is audio responsive, and functions as a VU meter for whatever audio is playing through my default audio device at the time.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

Wallpapers are definitely a lighter topic than some of the other options right now.
Home - Left
Show
Hide
From a blog post years ago where someone touched up a bunch of kid's art.
Home - Right
Show
Hide
The backdrop of a level from the game Braid.
Home - Lock
Show
Hide
Calvin and Hobbes.
Phone - Background
Show
Hide
Sunset looking out at Point Loma in San Diego.
Phone - Lock
Show
Hide
Secretary bird at San Diego Zoo.
Work
Show
Hide
A shot of Morro Rock, which is right down the road from where I went to school. Same image for all monitors because I move my laptop around a fair amount and it's not worth it to set up something multi-screen.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

freelunch
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by freelunch » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
I'm thinking of doing HAL from 2001 for my phone's background lol
Way back in the day, I had a PowerPC running Mac OS 7 or 8. We had modified every setting we could to theme the whole computer as HAL 9000. Bootup sound: "Good Morning Dave". Error sound: "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that." Wallpaper: The glowing red HAL camera. And so on.

I might do that to another computer again sometime, it was fun!

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

Oh, well this is going to out me as the shameless fangirl that I am. >.>
Deckstop Background
Show
Hide
Phone Lockscreen
Show
Hide
Phone Homescreen
Show
Hide
Edit: This did remind me that there's not nearly enough Mirage in my life, so new home background as well:
New Homescreen
Show
Hide

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 3 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago
You dont like Windows 95 aesthetic?
I guess not, lol.

@Airi We accept your fangirling :)

I tried getting into For Honor a bit. Good idea with the combat and how you have to angle your blocks and attacks, but it never felt responsive enough to me.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

before I switched to card art I had this
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Surprise, my background is Ephara
Show
Hide
epharabg.jpg

Airi
Queen of Salt

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
3 years ago
Airi We accept your fangirling :)

I tried getting into For Honor a bit. Good idea with the combat and how you have to angle your blocks and attacks, but it never felt responsive enough to me.
I still love For Honor, even if I've been on the Apex Legends train for a while. :love:

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 3 years ago

I've had this as on my work computer's desktop for awhile now:
RAWR
Show
Hide

Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Rorseph » 3 years ago

I'm not sure where best to put this, but this is kind of a big deal:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-06-10
Today, we will be changing the multiverse ID and removing the Gatherer card image for the card Invoke Prejudice, originally printed in 1994. The card is racist and made even worse by the multiverse ID it was unfortunately codified with years ago. There's no place for racism in our game, nor anywhere else.

Additionally, these cards will be banned in all sanctioned tournament play.
On the one hand, that multiverse id for Invoke Prejudice couldn't have been a mistake, but on the other better late than never to fix it.
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

The multiverse ID thing references something I learned about today days ago. But yeah given the reference and the art (which, admittedly I've never looked to closely at - some of the older art is a little unclear, and I don't own a copy), it's probably for the best. Better late than never indeed, it's a small step but a welcome one.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Rorseph wrote:
3 years ago
I'm not sure where best to put this, but this is kind of a big deal:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-06-10
Today, we will be changing the multiverse ID and removing the Gatherer card image for the card Invoke Prejudice, originally printed in 1994. The card is racist and made even worse by the multiverse ID it was unfortunately codified with years ago. There's no place for racism in our game, nor anywhere else.

Additionally, these cards will be banned in all sanctioned tournament play.
On the one hand, that multiverse id for Invoke Prejudice couldn't have been a mistake, but on the other better late than never to fix it.
For those of you that are unaware, the artist behind Invoke Prejudice, Harold McNeill, is a crazy, right-wing nutjob. Scroll through his Facebook some time. It's...odd. It sucks too, because he has a really cool style; Knight of the Mists is a favorite of mine.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

What was the card's id?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

After looking through the announcement, they're also removing the images for:

Cleanse
Stone-Throwing Devils
Pradesh Gypsies
Jihad
Imprison
Crusade

Some make sense. The term 'gypsy' is problematic, as is jihad. Someone needs to help me out with Crusade and Cleanse, though. Does Crusade imply that white is better, or is it problematic because of the historical Crusades? I assume that the Cleanse's destroying of black creatures, in combination with its name is the problem, but it seems a bit of an overreaction (unless of course I missed something in the art).

The art on Imprison is odd, and I wish Christopher Rush was still around to defend himself. Lastly, is the issue with Stone-Throwing Devils a religious thing? Does it relate to using stoning as punishment?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
What was the card's id?
#1488, which is apparently a white supremacist code or something. I had to google the ID and the reference.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago

Cleanse
Stone-Throwing Devils
Pradesh Gypsies
Jihad
Imprison
Crusade

Some make sense. The term 'gypsy' is problematic, as is jihad. Someone needs to help me out with Crusade and Cleanse, though. Does Crusade imply that white is better, or is it problematic because of the historical Crusades? I assume that the Cleanse's destroying of black creatures, in combination with its name is the problem, but it seems a bit of an overreaction (unless of course I missed something in the art).

The art on Imprison is odd, and I wish Christopher Rush was still around to defend himself. Lastly, is the issue with Stone-Throwing Devils a religious thing? Does it relate to using stoning as punishment?
I believe Stone-Throwing Devils was a reference to Islamic or Arabic people, once upon a time. Crusade is almost certainly because of the old-school Christian Crusade art; it'd be weird to ban "Crusade but only the original art" so the whole thing is out. I imagine (although we'll see) that stuff like Cathars' Crusade and Crusader of Odric will be safe, sans that connotation. Cleanse is likely due to the combination of Name and effect - I don't think we'll see Mass Calcify or Light of Day get knocked around.

toctheyounger

Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago

Cleanse
Stone-Throwing Devils
Pradesh Gypsies
Jihad
Imprison
Crusade

I believe Stone-Throwing Devils was a reference to Islamic or Arabic people, once upon a time. Crusade is almost certainly because of the old-school Christian Crusade art; it'd be weird to ban "Crusade but only the original art" so the whole thing is out. I imagine (although we'll see) that stuff like Cathars' Crusade and Crusader of Odric will be safe, sans that connotation. Cleanse is likely due to the combination of Name and effect - I don't think we'll see Mass Calcify or Light of Day get knocked around.
I think Cathars' Crusade et al will be safe purely for being referential of fictional settings, rather than the pseudo-reality inspired printings of older days.

To be absolutely fair, and whatever one might think of the bannings for good or bad, most of these are relics of a bygone era and likely would only ever see play on a kitchen table these days, so it's a very low cost for tangential support of a good cause in the BLM movement. Invoke Prejudice is the main culprit, and looking a bit closer at the card it totally deserves to be gone. The artist's FB page is pretty wacky too, he's clearly a tad unhinged.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

There is a thread for this subject, so let's move on and keep this thread more light-hearted please.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Airi
Queen of Salt

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Keep this thread more light-hearted please.
In lighter news!!!! .... I busted my hand three weeks ago and still can't properly operate a mouse >.< I'm not sure why my workplace keeps assigning me things to write because there's a stack of hand-written orders that look like someone let a 5 year old loose on in the building.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Airi wrote:
3 years ago
cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Keep this thread more light-hearted please.
In lighter news!!!! .... I busted my hand three weeks ago and still can't properly operate a mouse >.< I'm not sure why my workplace keeps assigning me things to write because there's a stack of hand-written orders that look like someone let a 5 year old loose on in the building.
Are you using your offhand to write them or is your writing hand in that "can use poorly" stage?
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Airi
Queen of Salt

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Are you using your offhand to write them or is your writing hand in that "can use poorly" stage?
My offhand. I can't properly hold a pencil with my splint.

It's not pretty, it takes several minutes to just get a sentence or two to be legible

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Rough. I busted my writing arm as a kid but this was back before I really had regular access to a computer. Writing was hard but as a fourth grader you don't actually write that much.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

I broke my right arm in middle school, and was in a cast for about a month. At the end of that month, my left-handed writing had just begun to become legible. Kinda sad I didn't keep up with it. Though, today, even my right-handed writing is barely legible, considering how little I actually write anything.

Early last week I sliced a piece of my thumb off while slicing bread. It's been weird seeing how it's been healing. Kinda fascinating too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”