Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Not for $10!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 3 years ago

The Elder Gargaroth looks like solid value in a beater. Not bad for a 5-drop in a stompy deck.

I think the new Liliana, Waker of the Dead is decent, but I am a bit bored with their Liliana abilities now. Discard, -X/-X, Reanimate, and 2/2 Zombies are pretty much all Lili has been doing. Green, Red, and Blue have gotten some interesting new abilities for walkers recently, especially BLUE. The only reason I care is because my Yawgmoth, Thran Physician deck has a few Liliana's in it and this one is solid, but exceedingly boring. A GY exile ability with a small Waste Not would be cool and flavorful. Exile a card in GY, if land add , if creature make 2/2 Zombie.

Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse looks really good for a 2 drop. Probably try it in Korvold, Fae-Cursed King with Mad Ratter that I completely forgot existed.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

More stuff:
  • Volcanic Salvo intrigues me. I'm usually not a fan of damage-based removal, but 6 damage is a lot, hitting two different targets is a thing, and being castable for only RR is a thing. You do need to be running a deck with big stompy things, but it looks solid. Also hilarious alongside Vial Smasher or other cards that work well with cost reduced cards.
  • Idol of Endurance is also intriguing. Sort of a slow Sun Titan effect? More importantly, it's card advantage in white, in the form of repeatable recursion, which is a thing I've wanted for ages. Doesn't grab things that die after it hits the field, but I really appreciate that the cards return to your graveyard if it gets blown up. Will probably want to be played alongside some self-mill or other enablers though.
  • Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse looks to be a solid token producer, and a potential win condition. I'm somewhat curious what the best ways to enable her in mono-green are - not a ton of looters in those colors, but green definitely has options for card draw. Also Reliquary Tower synergy, to annoy people that think you shouldn't ever run it.
Heroic Intervention and Fabled Passage reprints also please me. Looking to be a lot of solid choices. On the other hand, Fabled Passage staying in Standard means the price may not drop as much as I would like. Hmmm....

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Man I did not see the passage reprint, I love that. I really dig that card as an available-to-everyone printed-into-the-ground upgrade to Terramorphic.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Chandra's Incinerator with Repercussion allows you to machine gun down all your opponents creatures while dealing damage to opponents.
The neat thing is that it doesn't matter what your initial starting damage source is, it'll keep bouncing damage until all the creatures are dead.
So even Lava Dart is good enough.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Chandra's Incinerator with Repercussion allows you to machine gun down all your opponents creatures while dealing damage to opponents.
The neat thing is that it doesn't matter what your initial starting damage source is, it'll keep bouncing damage until all the creatures are dead.
That's awesome. What kind of shell/package would you use to include that in a deck?

Like Boros Gisela with enchantment search/tutors?

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Breya, Kelsien, and Marath can throw out some damage. Vadrok to recover Repercussion.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

umtiger wrote:
3 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
That's awesome. What kind of shell/package would you use to include that in a deck?

Like Boros Gisela with enchantment search/tutors?
Its going straight into my Firesong and Sunspeaker deck as I play Repercussion already.
I don't have a recent list as I haven't transferred it over from the old Salvation days, but here is a link from there to give you an idea => https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the ... ge-control

But I mean even a deck that has cards like Firebrand Archer or Thermo-Alchemist, they'll give Chandra's Incinerator a cost reduction of say 3 in a 4 player game, so its really a mana efficient combo as well.
Then you cast another spell to kick off the chain effects.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
I absolutely intend to have this in my burn decks. It's a more survivable and broader trigger Satyr Firedancer in Gisela, Blade of Goldnight and goes nuts in Torbran, Thane of Red Fell with Manabarbs style cards.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

This is the best core set I've seen in years. There's a laundry list of wants here already, even just in reprints.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

toctheyounger

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Meteorite lol
It's a ubiquitous core set filler inclusion.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
This is the best core set I've seen in years. There's a laundry list of wants here already, even just in reprints.
I agree completely. While some of it's goodstuff, there's a bunch of edge case new cards for random decks. Treacherous Greed in Zada, Hedron Grinder is the most recent example, but Chandra's Incinerator, and Chromatic Orrery add depth to effects that didn't have as much selection before. Cards like Village Rites and See the Truth are some of the best in slot for some existing effects.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

toctheyounger

Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
I agree completely. While some of it's goodstuff, there's a bunch of edge case new cards for random decks. Treacherous Greed in Zada, Hedron Grinder is the most recent example, but Chandra's Incinerator, and Chromatic Orrery add depth to effects that didn't have as much selection before. Cards like Village Rites and See the Truth are some of the best in slot for some existing effects.
Yeah, there's lots of stuff I want already. Some of the new stuff is awesome too - Teferi's Ageless Insight is really nice, and Peer into the Abyss is super nuts and I want a couple of copies straight away, Double Vision is a Kalamax, the Stormsire staple immediately, and Rin and Seri, Inseperable might just be cute enough to sell my wife on grabbing some of it :cool:

Mookie

I'm already on the hype train, but I'll chip in with my thoughts - this core set looks awesome. I'm most excited for all the reprints - past years have had two or three high-profile reprints, but this set has... around 8-10 I want, depending on how we count the temples (and how many I actually need, given that I have no idea which I'm missing).

As for new cards.... The new commanders look sweet (and not oppressive - being monocolor helps), and I don't see any obvious power creep on the top-end. There are certainly some strong cards, but pretty much all of them are build-arounds and require some work to enable (ex: See the Truth and Double Vision). On the other hand, there are a bunch of upgrades for already-niche cards (ex: Mnemonic WallShipwreck Dowser, Altar's ReapVillage Rites), which I think is a much healthier area to push things in.

Pretty much the only card I have concerns about is Chromatic Orrery... and as a 7-mana artifact, I'm actually not that worried. It's possible that some of the cards end up causing problems in Standard (I've seen concerns re: curves of Azusa, Lost but SeekingNissa, Who Shakes the WorldUgin, the Spirit Dragon).... but if Massacre Wurm and Baneslayer Angel are playable cards in Standard, I think that's a healthy sign.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

Fiery Emancipation is a card I can get behind. Gratuitous Violence is already one of my favorite cards in most decks I run it in and doing half again as much damage for one more mana (from a greater variety of sources, even) is fine with me. Does nothing on it's own, but plays nicely with an established board to have immediate impact. If it sticks for a turn or two, it's a game ender with a relatively small number of cards. Looking forward to 18-ing everything with Jaya Ballard, Task Mage.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
Fiery Emancipation is a card I can get behind. Gratuitous Violence is already one of my favorite cards in most decks I run it in and doing half again as much damage for one more mana (from a greater variety of sources, even) is fine with me. Does nothing on it's own, but plays nicely with an established board to have immediate impact. If it sticks for a turn or two, it's a game ender with a relatively small number of cards. Looking forward to 18-ing everything with Jaya Ballard, Task Mage.
Another beast of a card with Repercussion. I also like that it has RRR in its cost just to help out with Devotion!

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
Jaya is awesome but I must say I'm more excited about slamming it with Gishath, Sun's Avatar. Num-num-num. Yes, I would like one dead opponent and 20% of my deck's dinos on the battlefield.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

Looks like we're getting some power uncommons too.

Garruk's Uprising looks rather pushed as well, especially compared to Elemental Bond, which is already a rather powerful card to run in Gx decks that need more draw. I know that the 3 to 4 power difference has been a thing in some of my decks... but it's not THAT big, especially for all the upside the Uprising brings.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Damn, now kaervek has to decide between obosh and fiery emancipation. C'mon, let's legalise wishes so I can Death Wish it.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie

Rambunctious Mutt isn't quite the colorshifted Reclamation Sage I've wanted.... but I'm still very happy about it. I've been complaining about white's lack of an ETB: Disenchant creature for ages. Hopefully this clears the way for a cheaper version eventually. Will probably still play it in Brago, at least.
Transmogrify is interesting as another red Polymorph effect. How many of those are we up to now - 3? 5? Not sure how many are necessary for a dedicated deck, but still worth consideration.
Garruk's Uprising is a potent draw engine. A bit redundant with Elemental Bond, but drawing a card immediately is a nice enough upside that I expect it to see some play.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Damn, now kaervek has to decide between obosh and fiery emancipation. C'mon, let's legalise wishes so I can Death Wish it.
Not only that

Gavin revealed there's a 2.0 version of kaervek in core 2021 (the art not the card)

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
Garruk's Uprising is a potent draw engine. A bit redundant with Elemental Bond, but drawing a card immediately is a nice enough upside that I expect it to see some play.
And Trample. Trample is pretty big too. Primal Rage costs 2. Stapling that for 'free' onto Elemental bond is pretty nuts.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

Temple lands....but those full arts are nice

Saw the name Transmogrify thought it was blue not red, and instead of taking a chance with any permanent you only take a chance with creatures.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

So the new good girl, Rambunctious Mutt is an interesting card. At first it looks a little over costed for a common effect, but it's been pointed out that besides Kor Sanctifiers, which has to be kicked, she is the first ETB mono-white artifact and enchantment destruction. Might be worth a look in mono-white decks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”