Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Eyecut
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Eyecut » 4 years ago

folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
thinking about how Volrath EDH could be the evil version of Kraj EDH!
Looks like an alternative clone commander to a Mimeoplasm deck, and It'll fit experimental kraj easily.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
67780871_1981681105266790_7763252760178327552_n.png

It's funny because I've been running astral slide and now I don't need an Exalted Angel specifically to do that bait and switch trick......................................
How about Aminatou? O_O

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
67780871_1981681105266790_7763252760178327552_n.png

It's funny because I've been running astral slide and now I don't need an Exalted Angel specifically to do that bait and switch trick......................................
How about Aminatou? O_O
Sorcery speed though and 1/turn, but it works too.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I'm not a fan of Pendant of Prosperity, mostly because I dislike kingmaking, which this feels like. It is a powerful draw engine though, assuming your opponent is activating it frequently.

Scroll of Fate is a snap include in Brago, King Eternal. Free Sphinx of Uthuun or Luminate Primordial seems really good, even if you do need to wait for a flicker effect or Brago trigger. Alternatively, go old-school with Phyrexian Dreadnought. I'm sure there are other degenerate use cases too.

Volrath, the Shapestealer looks interesting. Seven power suggests a voltron strategy, and should be easy enough to copy something evasive. Alternatively, I'm sure people will think of some interesting combos you could go with, like Devoted Druid + Quillspike + Llanowar Tribe.

Gift of Doom - not my sort of thing, but it is exploring some new design space. Also looks to be the first black aura that grants indestructible, which is new. Potential option for protecting your commander, which may be relevant given the two voltron-ish commanders they've revealed for the Sultai deck.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Better Pendant breaking: Homeward Path and make the Pendant a creature, and Brooding Saurian. It's one thing if my opponents actually activate it, but I can't really depend on them for that. At least a couple of my friends would let it sit there just to spite me.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Apex Altisaur is my favorite spoiler so far. Comes down and probably kills the two biggest threats on board, then sits there and regulates boards until removed. It looks like a lot of fun as long as you're cheating the cost somehow, because that's a horrifying CMC when you're playing fair.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

lyonhaert
Answers: 4

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Thieving Amalgam -- I want one.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Yeah, I just look at that thing and can't stop a dumb grin from crawling on my face. Such a cool design in every way possible. I have no home for it, but I'm happy it exists. If the rest of the decks maintain the morph list's quality, we've got a return to form after a two-year slump. Coincidence, just as Ethan Fleischer returns on lead? I think not!

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Cyberium

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago

How about Aminatou? O_O
Sorcery speed though and 1/turn, but it works too.
Blue instead of red, there will be more blinking in addition to herself. :3

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

Thought sponge looks like it can be useful
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

A couple of nice pick ups for my Aminatou, the Fateshifter deck with both Scroll of Fate and Pendant of Prosperity.

I can cast Pendant of Prosperity and then use Aminatou [-1] exile ability to return it to my control immediately. Drawing 2 cards and putting 2 lands into play seems like a good rate, especially as Esper doesn't really have much land ramp.

With Scroll of Fate I can manifest some of the high converted mana cost cards, like Omniscience for example and then use Aminatou [-1] exile ability to return it to the battlefield face up.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I can cast Pendant of Prosperity and then use Aminatou [-1] exile ability to return it to my control immediately. Drawing 2 cards and putting 2 lands into play seems like a good rate, especially as Esper doesn't really have much land ramp.
Amulet enters the battlefield under an opponents control. Blinking it will let you change the opponent but you'll still have to pick one.

To get it back, you can either...
brooding saurian-type un-theft effect
steal artifact-type take it back yourself
mirage mirror-type it was yours all along
...maybe some other sillier ways, like put it into play face-down and then figure out a way to flip it face-up without it leaving the battlefield?

You might also just get it back if they're dead...I'm not 100% clear on the rules for control effects when a player leaves the game. I think you don't, but I'm not totally sure.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

LastConformist

Post by LastConformist » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Amulet enters the battlefield under an opponents control. Blinking it will let you change the opponent but you'll still have to pick one.

To get it back, you can either...
brooding saurian-type un-theft effect
steal artifact-type take it back yourself
mirage mirror-type it was yours all along
...maybe some other sillier ways, like put it into play face-down and then figure out a way to flip it face-up without it leaving the battlefield?

You might also just get it back if they're dead...I'm not 100% clear on the rules for control effects when a player leaves the game. I think you don't, but I'm not totally sure.
Aminatou, the Fateshifter explicitly says that the exiled card returns to the battlefield under your control, though. Do we know which would take precedence?

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Man...... I didn't like any of the spoils from today. I really hope we see some better product tomorrow as today was..... not inspiring for me.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
There's a thread in previews already, but here ya go:
"Image"
Well that's interesting. Our first ever Vampire if I recall correctly, and an interesting card without being stupid or completely one-sided in power, going both ways.

Would something like Jodah's Avenger work for giving Rayami double strike? And I would assume that since other creatures get exiled with a counter and stay that way unless Riftsweepered, Rayami could come back from the command zone just as powerful as before if killed / bounced / whatever?
______

I'm leaning towards getting the Morph deck at this point. Even if I don't build anyone from it, it seems like the coolest and most interesting deck to me so far.
Last edited by Sanity_Eclipse 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Cyberium

I'm starting to see Scroll of Fate as a pseudo "discard outlet" that could attack and block.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
4 years ago
Would something like Jodah's Avenger work for giving Rayami double strike?
I don't believe that works as the card doesn't actually normally have that effect. It might be worth asking in the rulings section though but I don't think that works.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

With regard to Pendant of Prosperity and Zedruu: It's got potential, maybe. It costs 3 mana, so it casts the turn before Zedruu and gives you Zedruu draws ASAP. This is the same curve as Political Trickery, which I love, and is even easier to cast since it's all colorless mana. But a smart opponent shouldn't be activating this often, making it a self-donating do-nothing. Almost as bad, a poor opponent will likely spam this and make the other players mad, which isn't a great play pattern. So I'm going to judge the card as if it never gets activated, and go back to that Political Trickery comparison. I've gotten mega-milage out of Political Trickery as a 3 mana spell to set up Zedruu with the fringe benefit of sometimes mana fixing and sometimes disrupting people with fancy lands. Pendant would offer the same 3 mana spell to set up Zedruu, but instead the fringe benefit is the possibility of stealing it with a steal spell to double explore or potentially the controller getting desperate.

Really specific side note: not too long ago, Wizard's changed the rules about ownership of tokens. The rule used to be the owner of a token was whoever it entered the battlefield under. They changed the rule to the owner being whoever made the token, but then they errata'd cards like Forbidden Orchard from "put a token into play under target opponent's control" to "target opponent creates a token", meaning the rule change has had no functional effect on any token making cards. The only scenarios that were actually changed were really corner cases like Gather Specimens, where the Gather Specimens player used to own the tokens, but now the player who would otherwise get them is the owner. The rules format of Pendant of Prosperity adds another corner case where the rules change actually matters, since if I make token copies of the Pendant, I own those tokens rather than the person whose control those tokens enter under.
LastConformist wrote:
4 years ago
Aminatou, the Fateshifter explicitly says that the exiled card returns to the battlefield under your control, though. Do we know which would take precedence?
I'm not positive, but I think the Pendant's ability wins out. The only other card I've found with this sort of template is Captive Audience, and I haven't found anyone on the internet trying to flicker that back to their side of the field, but given that they were probably formulating the rules text to not let either of these things accidentally land under their owner's control, I'm inclined to think that it's intended to always enter that way regardless of how it enters the battlefield.

I'd enjoy if it went the other way, but I think this question will have to go to an official rules source. I see nothing in the comprehensive rules that covers this specifically.
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
This I can answer confidently, you don't get this back if they die. There are two ways to get control of something. Either it enters the battlefield under your control, or an effect gives you control. When someone leaves the game, every effect that gave them control ends, and that's how you get things back when people die. But this enters under their control, so there is no effect to end, which means it stays around to the last step of a player leaving the game which is "exile everything they still control".
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Thieving Amalgam is interesting "mill" design.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

I'm still gonna try to kill people with Hatred and new Volrath ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

3drinks

67608101_1983330248435209_6988586620148514816_n.png
So there's a game changer...................... (obligatory revel in riches plug)

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Ignite the Future is excellent. I love the trend towards having red's impulse draw stick around through the end of the next turn.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

3drinks

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
Ignite the Future is excellent. I love the trend towards having red's impulse draw stick around through the end of the next turn.
That flashback has me cautiously nervous. Free spells are always asking for trouble. But, yes, great card and I love it.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Mmmmm, love that pillowfort wall legends.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

looks like an easy upgrade to the flashback deck will be tossing in a copy of Dream Halls!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”