theme brainstorming: Sulti Ninja Mutate TMNT

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

I've been working on a low power theme deck in dimir+ that takes a dumb idea and makes a joke with it. Mutate creatures which can bounce back to you hand to retrigger mutate. The ninjutsu ability can return the entire stack to your hand, and there are ~10 non-human ninjas: the minimum that I think is needed to be viable.

Because I already have mutant ninjas, I'll probably be adding at least 1 turtle for joking's sake. I still don't know what I'll stand in for the "teenage" adjective to get then entire teenage mutant ninja turtle. Sakashima's Student cloning Angler Turtle with Sea-Dasher Octopus mutated on it is the idea here.

The conundrum that I have is the commander. I have 3 decent options.
  • Brokkos, Apex of Forever: looks more like a turtle if you squint, but costs more mana and is only more resilient for itself
  • Otrimi, the Ever-Playful: recurs mutate on hit and costs less to mutate. notably does not look like a turtle.
  • Morophon, the Boundless: I can't mutate onto it (changeling=human), but I can make some mutate costs cheaper and play more colors.
Which commander makes sense for the theme and why?
Last edited by Crazy Monkey 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Tags:

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Outcryqq wrote:
3 years ago
Brokkos. Showcase art looks a bit more like a (colorful) turtle.
I didn't even think to look at that. Thanks.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I would mock up your own personal proxies as its a theme deck. As long as you prove you have the originals by bringing them in another pile, then people will happily let you play them.

Here is a mock up I did to give you an idea of what I mean.

The neat thing is that you can match up mutate creatures with potential TMNT characters as well.

For example Pouncing Shoreshark can be Armaggon. Most of the mutate creatures are Beasts, so its going to be fun and easy to get matches.

As far as who helms the deck, I would have Otrimi, the Ever-Playful and literally have it as "Teenage Mutate Ninja Turtles" with all 4 on the card.
The "Ever-Playful" fits their mantra and its just a better ability to play with and you can think of the ability of them as constantly saving fellow souls, which they do.

If you want help on how to make proxies, then its actually way easier than you think, but you need Photoshop. Otherwise I'd be happy to help you with the task, its pretty easy stuff, just need to find art work you want to use.
You can turn this thread into TMNT character suggestions for cards you want to include.

Then you can use a site like https://www.makeplayingcards.com/ to print out the cards if you didn't just want to print them out yourself and glue them to cards or whatever.
Last edited by darrenhabib 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Those proxies are cool, but I think for the general you need the comic art in the original Eastman comic style (black & white optional).
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

darrenhabib

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Those proxies are cool, but I think for the general you need the comic art in the original Eastman comic style (black & white optional).
ImageImage

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

@darrenhabib Almost, but not quite. Original Eastman and Laird art would have them all wearing red...
1982 Original RPG
Show
Hide
TMNT_and_Other_Strangeness.jpg
The colors were added in '85(ish) for the cartoon, to make the characters more relatable to a younger audience (original RPG and comic were not kid friendly - e.g. first print run of the RPG had to be pulled from shelves in Detroit (where it was printed) for having a sexual deviancy chart in the random neuroses insanity table).

*Yes, it was the first RPG I played; and yes, I really was a TMNT geek for three years before the cartoon debuted. After all, Palladium studios used to be headquartered on Lanyo Avenue in Detroit

May I suggest, if you go this route, consider original ancillary characters for alt-art; such as the Terror Bears and the Sparrow Hawks.

Another option for alters, I use Magic Set Editor 2 for mocking up my tokens that I print on Avery Printable Business cards (so I can make them double sided and they end up 2/3ds the size of a real card and take up less table space). It's not a web hosted system, so you can install the program and keep all of your source files on your computer (and back them up).
V/R

Treamayne

darrenhabib

Treamayne wrote:
3 years ago
darrenhabib Almost, but not quite. Original Eastman and Laird art would have them all wearing red...
1982 Original RPG
Show
Hide
TMNT_and_Other_Strangeness.jpg
The colors were added in '85(ish) for the cartoon, to make the characters more relatable to a younger audience (original RPG and comic were not kid friendly - e.g. first print run of the RPG had to be pulled from shelves in Detroit (where it was printed) for having a sexual deviancy chart in the random neuroses insanity table).

*Yes, it was the first RPG I played; and yes, I really was a TMNT geek for three years before the cartoon debuted. After all, Palladium studios used to be headquartered on Lanyo Avenue in Detroit

May I suggest, if you go this route, consider original ancillary characters for alt-art; such as the Terror Bears and the Sparrow Hawks.

Another option for alters, I use Magic Set Editor 2 for mocking up my tokens that I print on Avery Printable Business cards (so I can make them double sided and they end up 2/3ds the size of a real card and take up less table space). It's not a web hosted system, so you can install the program and keep all of your source files on your computer (and back them up).

Inkeyes22

Post by Inkeyes22 » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
This makes me want to build this deck... I mean you kinda had be at that Master Splinter alter.
Last edited by Inkeyes22 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

darrenhabib

Inkeyes22 wrote:
3 years ago
This makes me want to build this deck... I mean you kinda had be at that Master Splinter alter.
Me too. The thing is that I've been playing mutate decks a lot later, and the mechanic is really fun when you get to stack them.
But the quality and quantity of them is limited, so bouncing back to hand is actually really perfect. So Ninjutsu is a really great idea.
Then I mean once you have Mutate and Ninjutsu..hello TMNT universe is beckoning, Crazy Monkey has nailed it on that theme.
But I'm not like a fan of TMNT, so I don't know the characters all that well, but its fun exploring this idea.

darrenhabib

Need a filler background for wingnut..but you get the idea.

ImageImage
Last edited by darrenhabib 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

darrenhabib

ImageImage
Last edited by darrenhabib 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Honestly, I started with mechanics to bounce mutate creatures and ninjutsu seemed like a viable route, and from there the theme is directly in your face. I don't have much TNMT knowledge, but was kind of planning to line up some characters with cards when able.

I could try image editing, but that's completely outside my skillset. I was kind of think about just printing some version of the godzilla alt-name frames for TNMT chraracters. Honestly, the arts from @darrenhabib are way above and beyond what I'd be able to do, I really appreciate it.

I guess I should try out that set editor.
Commander Decks

darrenhabib

ImageImage

darrenhabib

Not sure how to do the hybrid mana symbol so Brokkos mutate is incorrect, but I'll figure that out later.

ImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”