[Official] State of Modern Thread (B&R 07/13/2020)

blkdemonight
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by blkdemonight » 3 years ago

cfusionpm wrote:
3 years ago
Modern cannot be fixed with bans at this point. You'd have to ban too many things. If anyone is on the fence about leaving the format (or perhaps the game), this is probably the best time to do so.

We can only guess the "scorch the earth every set" design philosophy will continue through at least the next 1-2 sets, which were finished, printed, and packaged long before the recent outrage.

Why bother anymore?
Modern's problem is that Wizards treats it as a recipient of Standard spirit just because it doesn't includes ABU in order to count as an eternal format. At this point a restricted list will help Modern more than bannings. I honestly feel modern is now like Yugioh in which the game is somehow alive despite having a ridiculous ban list and wonky restricted list just as large.

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 3 years ago

blkdemonight wrote:
3 years ago
It's discouraging they have no idea what's the problem for Standard and Modern since they feel it changes too much. I really doubt they have anyone with enough play/deck building experience to see through meta flux.
They know. Dont fool yourself into thinking they are just 'in the middle of getting data'.

They know Yorion/Fires/Lukka is an abomination in Standard.
They know that Uro is fundamentally pushed, and that it + Astrolabe + Yorion is a problem in both Modern and even worse in Legacy.

They know that Once Upon a Time, Veil of Summer, Oko, and any number of other cards are mistakes that the game cannot reasonably handle, and yet...they are legal in some formats.

They know that Modern remains the largest most accessible playground of the 'non-rotation' formats, and so we are left with these cards longer than most because people are still cracking the packs to fuel the decks which see play.

Its not about competitive integrity, it never has been.

Find something you can enjoy and play it, but we as a community need to stop fooling ourselves that its anything more than the Corporate entity which provides a product looking to maximize returns within every segment it possibly can.

They are not Pro(fessional) Players, they are Pro(motional) Players.

I repeat: Find a deck/archetype/format you can enjoy, and play it. I'm still having fun with Yidaro Flash that I made up and earning Coins/Wildcards until I can put together an Arena legal BUG control deck.

If you cant do that, move on though, because their interests are not aligned with our interests.
UR Control UR

metalmusic_4
Pronoun: he / him

Post by metalmusic_4 » 3 years ago

*****I know some people are disheartened right now and there are comments about selling out of the game. I believe we will overcome this and I intend to keep playing. If you are considering selling off your stuff I would be happy to make you an offer.********

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 3 years ago

metalmusic_4 wrote:
3 years ago
*****I know some people are disheartened right now and there are comments about selling out of the game. I believe we will overcome this and I intend to keep playing. If you are considering selling off your stuff I would be happy to make you an offer.********
We've had this conversation privately before about selling collections, but generally speaking, it's a tough time to sell. Everything other than Commander things are more or less in the toilet as far as value is concerned, and it's really hard to want to move a collection where the seller will get something like 40 cents on the dollar. Maybe I'm wrong, but for most of the things I've been tracking, it's not even worth selling anyway, unless you need the money asap. I'll keep you in mind though!

Amalgam

Post by Amalgam » 3 years ago

I really hope wizards learn something from this. Even if I know they wont and it will be the same thing all over again in 3 months.
I sure love that they think modern, pioneer and standard are diverse, that really made my day

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

idSurge wrote:
3 years ago
blkdemonight wrote:
3 years ago
It's discouraging they have no idea what's the problem for Standard and Modern since they feel it changes too much. I really doubt they have anyone with enough play/deck building experience to see through meta flux.
They know. Dont fool yourself into thinking they are just 'in the middle of getting data'.

They know that Uro is fundamentally pushed, and that it + Astrolabe + Yorion is a problem in both Modern and even worse in Legacy.

They know that Once Upon a Time, Veil of Summer, Oko, and any number of other cards are mistakes that the game cannot reasonably handle, and yet...they are legal in some formats.

They know that Modern remains the largest most accessible playground of the 'non-rotation' formats, and so we are left with these cards longer than most because people are still cracking the packs to fuel the decks which see play.

Find something you can enjoy and play it, but we as a community need to stop fooling ourselves that its anything more than the Corporate entity which provides a product looking to maximize returns within every segment it possibly can.

I repeat: Find a deck/archetype/format you can enjoy, and play it. I'm still having fun with Yidaro Flash that I made up and earning Coins/Wildcards until I can put together an Arena legal BUG control deck.

If you cant do that, move on though, because their interests are not aligned with our interests.
I'm gonna have to agree with this post. For someone who doesn't play Standard or online, even I know (through friends) how bad Yorion Fires is in Standard and several cards in Modern.

Something will be done when the set is no longer profitable to them. It may be frustrating to players, but they should know by now.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

blkdemonight

Post by blkdemonight » 3 years ago

idSurge wrote:
3 years ago
blkdemonight wrote:
3 years ago

So far I've been playing Yugioh Duel Links for a long time before 2019. Did that first since I had trouble playing Arena in beta. I continued with Duel Links solely for having PVE and available on Android.
My comment earlier was less believing their words and more with dismay they actually said that. I'm now thinking Wizards thinks decks are diverse as long as they play multiple colors of mana unhindered unless you are that play plays Tron lands or Mishra's workshop. Or if multiple decks run the same card(s) while looking differently. This might also explain why Wizards is so hesitant in unbanning Splinter Twin, they figure a deck like this won't be interested in adding random cards unrelated to the Twin game plan.

cfusionpm

Amalgam wrote:
3 years ago
I really hope wizards learn something from this. Even if I know they wont and it will be the same thing all over again in 3 months.
I sure love that they think modern, pioneer and standard are diverse, that really made my day
At least the next set is supposed to be a "safe" and "boring" core set. But God help us for whatever hell is unleashed in Return to Return to Zendikar.

idSurge

blkdemonight wrote:
3 years ago
My comment earlier was less believing their words and more with dismay they actually said that. I'm now thinking Wizards thinks decks are diverse as long as they play multiple colors of mana unhindered unless you are that play plays Tron lands or Mishra's workshop. Or if multiple decks run the same card(s) while looking differently. This might also explain why Wizards is so hesitant in unbanning Splinter Twin, they figure a deck like this won't be interested in adding random cards unrelated to the Twin game plan.
No, you give them too much credit.

Its really not as complicated as almost all of us (myself included!) have made it in the past seem.

They are more than willing to sacrifice competitive integrity and balance, on the alter of making a few more dollars.

Its similar to that urban legend (or is it?) about recall's. If a product is not going to cause X amount of Damage, where X is greater than the cost in terms of returns, liability, or customer confidence, then you do not do a recall, even if its (X - 1).

Vintage/Legacy were completely and utterly warped, and its 2 cards, ran in singleton! Thats not going to impact Wizard's bottom line, while the number of people who give a %$#% about those formats, where 'kitchen table' and Commander are the primary formats of the game?

Laughably small.

Wizards has demonstrated they do not REMOTELY have a gasp on the formats enough to make anything but a best guess for Unban's, or Design/Development.

If there was any competitive integrity or intellectual honesty in play from the people at the top of Wizards, they would ban easily what 4-6 cards, across Standard/Modern/Legacy?

That would be terrifying to me if I intended to do anything with Paper Magic ever again, or had to do it as my job. Thankfully, you can burn your Quarantine Hours on Arena for 'free'. Its just time, and right now I have way %$#% more than I ever hope to have again.
UR Control UR

cfusionpm

idSurge wrote:
3 years ago
Its similar to that urban legend (or is it?) about recall's. If a product is not going to cause X amount of Damage, where X is greater than the cost in terms of returns, liability, or customer confidence, then you do not do a recall, even if its (X - 1).

Amalgam

It's interesting that we have gone so far down the rabbit hole that we now dread new set releases instead of being excited for any new decks or archetypes it might introduce

cfusionpm

Amalgam wrote:
3 years ago
It's interesting that we have gone so far down the rabbit hole that we now dread new set releases instead of being excited for any new decks or archetypes it might introduce
Many of us bought into Modern as a "non-rotating" format under the premise that you could build a deck and play it reasonably for a fairly long time. You might need a card or two, or minor upgrade here and there, but for the most part, you're going to be avoiding earth-shattering shake ups every few months.

That premise has been wholly obliterated over the past year and a half, and it has a lot of people rightfully upset. We have every reason to justify anger about the careless disregard for the security upon which eternal/non-rotating formats are supposed to provide. A slow churning evolution over time. Instead decks are both supplanted, out-classed, or outright banned left and right. There is no faith in management and zero confidence that anything is getting any better any time soon.

So, yes, that is very interesting. :explode:

idSurge

lol thats one, but is there a seed of truth there? I would think so.
Amalgam wrote:
3 years ago
Its not even that. There simply needs to be an assumption that your going to have one of the following.

1. Sets continue to be out of control, and eternal formats will suffer with every set.
2. Sets power down dramatically, but flawed cards remain in the metas. Uro rotates out of Standard when?? lol
3. Mass bannings take place. All formats.

Odds are good, its item 1 for now, and item 2 eventually. The pendulum needs to swing, and it will.
UR Control UR

Albegas

Post by Albegas » 3 years ago

The saving grace of every format being burned to the ground is that Standard's part of that fire. They can ignore us for at least some time when our meta is broken; we don't really push sales and bans are a regular part of managing our format. Neither can be said for Standard. On the ban announcement Twitter post, I saw about as many Standard complaints as I did Modern complaints. If Standard players are complaining, they're much more inclined to change design philosophies down the line. But yeah, not to be a pessimist, but this is a really good time to protest with your wallet. They need that 3rd format for Team Constructed tourneys and so long as the reserved list restricts Legacy play, they still need us as the old man format. I'm not going to sell out, but I'm not buying into multiple Uros and Misty Rainforests to stay competitive. Might play Lurrus Delver when stores open now that it's a $10 rare and I have 95% of the deck though :p

Amalgam

Their Twitter is blowing up a bit at the moment. Honestly as much as I hate it the only way to get wizards to do something is bandwaggoning and making it very very visible on both twitter and reddit. I know I said something simillar a couple pages back but this really has to be reinforced.

ThatStoryTeller

Post by ThatStoryTeller » 3 years ago

https://twitter.com/ProjectModern1 Anyone who is tired of business as usual, come help develop a format of good games. bring your suggestions here. So far, after the discussions I have had, it seems like opal and splinter twin are not on the ban radar, so this project might do the format correctly. Their process is to actually test the format in stages (they are on War of the Spark) to find problematic cards aswell and they intend to include more sets to the legality. The format philosophy and mission article is being worked on aswell.

idSurge

OK, I'm following it. Look forward to a philosophy and mission statement.
UR Control UR

ktkenshinx

Post by ktkenshinx » 3 years ago

ThatStoryTeller wrote:
3 years ago
https://twitter.com/ProjectModern1 Anyone who is tired of business as usual, come help develop a format of good games. bring your suggestions here. So far, after the discussions I have had, it seems like opal and splinter twin are not on the ban radar, so this project might do the format correctly. Their process is to actually test the format in stages (they are on War of the Spark) to find problematic cards aswell and they intend to include more sets to the legality. The format philosophy and mission article is being worked on aswell.
I'm just going to restate here more or less what I said on Reddit. On the one hand, this is a valuable idea in that it shows dissatisfaction with Wizards' handling of Modern. It can yet one more jabbing datapoint that pushes (slowly...) Wizards to make changes. It's a good way for the community to voice serious concerns about how Wizards continues to mess up and shows players are so fed up with these mistakes they are willing to play a less supported format to avoid the current Modern. This hurts Wizards bottom line because these players aren't playing in Wizards events, which pushes change even further.

On the other hand, it's important that players realize it is very, very unlikely this format will not get too far off the ground. Community-led formats rarely do unless they have a very distinct identity like Pauper or EDH. Even old Type 1.5. This format's identity is literally just Modern with better management. In theory, there is nothing that distinguishes it from Modern under a hypothetical Wizards that doesn't stink at managing formats. Without prize support, large queues, and official acknowledgement, it will likely just go the way of most community-led formats. In fact, we probably don't want this format to succeed unless Wizards makes changes as a result. If the format succeeded and Wizards didn't change how they handled Modern, the competitive Modern format would either collapse or erode even faster. We'd have nowhere to play but Discord and unofficial events. Overall, the new format idea is good as a project and protest but very uncertain (even risky) as a long-term plan.

None of this is to knock the people who are leading this effort. I think one of their biggest motives is to voice dissatisfaction and to show Wizards there is demand for less inconsistent and opaque format management. In that regard, it is likely to raise eyebrows at Wizards and help contribute to change. Personally, I'd rather players voice concerns directly to Wizards about why they continue to fail at managing their own game, but all forms of protest are valuable at this point. Hopefully, some kind of player outcry will stick.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

ktkenshinx wrote:
3 years ago
ThatStoryTeller wrote:
3 years ago
I'm just going to restate here more or less what I said on Reddit. On the one hand, this is a valuable idea in that it shows dissatisfaction with Wizards' handling of Modern. It can yet one more jabbing datapoint that pushes (slowly...) Wizards to make changes. It's a good way for the community to voice serious concerns about how Wizards continues to mess up and shows players are so fed up with these mistakes they are willing to play a less supported format to avoid the current Modern. This hurts Wizards bottom line because these players aren't playing in Wizards events, which pushes change even further.

On the other hand, it's important that players realize it is very, very unlikely this format will not get too far off the ground. Community-led formats rarely do unless they have a very distinct identity like Pauper or EDH. Even old Type 1.5. This format's identity is literally just Modern with better management. In theory, there is nothing that distinguishes it from Modern under a hypothetical Wizards that doesn't stink at managing formats. Without prize support, large queues, and official acknowledgement, it will likely just go the way of most community-led formats. In fact, we probably don't want this format to succeed unless Wizards makes changes as a result. If the format succeeded and Wizards didn't change how they handled Modern, the competitive Modern format would either collapse or erode even faster. We'd have nowhere to play but Discord and unofficial events. Overall, the new format idea is good as a project and protest but very uncertain (even risky) as a long-term plan.

None of this is to knock the people who are leading this effort. I think one of their biggest motives is to voice dissatisfaction and to show Wizards there is demand for less inconsistent and opaque format management. In that regard, it is likely to raise eyebrows at Wizards and help contribute to change. Personally, I'd rather players voice concerns directly to Wizards about why they continue to fail at managing their own game, but all forms of protest are valuable at this point. Hopefully, some kind of player outcry will stick.
This is what scares me from that format. I just don't know how far off the ground it'll get. Is my LGS going to do sanctioned tournaments from this format? In theory, yes it sounds much better than what's currently going on, but how long will this format last?

When Frontier started, I did indeed think it was a pretty dumb format. I bought some of the few cards that I hadn't saved already. Why, considering I don't like the format? I did it to win prizes and playing (almost) any kind of Magic is better than no Magic. But Frontier came and went, just like most people expected. I kind of wish I hadn't put together that Red deck for my friend to crush tournaments with since he ended up not using it, then Frontier ended.

To be honest, it's kind of my hesitation for Pioneer as well. I don't really enjoy the game play that much. The formats I've enjoyed the most are these - 1. Modern, 2. Legacy, 3. Extended, and everything else is just not close with the exception of a few Standards which I enjoyed.

*I started playing Premodern with some of my friends at my LGS, but we got bored of it after a while, mostly just cuz it was us and the few decks that we owned. I love Premodern quite a bit because it was around that time of those sets that I was learning to win in Magic, so it has a special meaning to me. But there's just not a big enough crowd for it, most likely because WotC doesn't support it.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

idSurge

ktkenshinx wrote:
3 years ago
This is honestly the high point of what I would hope for out of the exercise, and to see if a 'community' can come to the correct conclusions about the format.

I've been playing hours upon hours of Standard on Arena, and I've got some crystallizing thoughts on where everything went wrong, and how its polluted the rest of the formats by virtue of its raw power level but I'm actually floored that people consider this the same game we were playing as recently as 2018.

Like no joke. The game is off the rails, to the point of being near unrecognizable in the 'winners meta'. I'm not concerned about Modern anymore, I'm actually concerned about how badly they have screwed up the game.

Its just flawed.

T3feri, Uro, Fires, Lukka (note I'm not even %$#% about Companion here!! lol) all these absolute bombs, on top of stupid levels of consistency, the London Mulligan, I just sit and shake my head.

What the actual hell, have they been smoking.
UR Control UR

ThatStoryTeller

Post by ThatStoryTeller » 3 years ago

Truthfully I think if wizards takes notice of the project and it is a push for change then it would have done its job for me. Not to mention the data that comes with participating in such a project.

and people have been voicing their concerns with WotC, they still will. But I'm looking to see if the motivated players can do it better.

Bearscape

Post by Bearscape » 3 years ago

About Project Modern; I made a thread in the General discussion forum about Community Managed formats, but it (poetically) didn't really get going. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25239

IMO, with talk between the Vintage, Legacy and Modern Community of making a pre-WAR format, there should be a unification if the community honestly wants it to take off.

Bearscape

Post by Bearscape » 3 years ago

Capture.PNG
Reading between the lines here, there's a huge community push for changing the Companion mechanic and Mark did his very best to dig for a question of the one single loony who would be upset by it

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 3 years ago

I would be surprised if wotc are able to make changes in Modern even long term.
Ban list management is not the issue, design and philosophy is.

Supposing they unban Twin.
As someone who practically specialises in tier 3 or lower in Legacy and Modern, I can assure those wishing to rock up with Twin that they won't enjoy it in the way that they did. How long do you think Twin players will enjoy losing to Uro and endless blinks, and Lurrus for? It takes a particular mindset to actively go into an event with a low tier or brew, and there is a chance that Twin is not ' safe ' , but actually 'crap'. Of course with Teferi etc it could be 'nuts', but suppose it is not good
In my experience brews and low tier decks have to focus on shutting down one or one and a bit aspects of their opponents' game plan. In Modern I have rocked up with Ponza, RW landkill (with suppression fields and chalice), and GW ponza (eternal command/ elf sprawl ramp), with the sim.of shutting down lands as plan A, and taking people by surprise and beating decks like Phoenix or Tron match on match.
There will normally be an unwinnable top tier match in that. I have rocked up with enchantment control knowing I can't beat Tron or Urza but having a stellar match against phoenix, burn, Storm or dredge. You can't really do that with a deck like Twin. It could just have a mediocre game against most top tier stuff, no easy game, just lots of hard fought losses.. It was a great deck as it did two things, ru control and combo. Now every deck does two things practically.

Even if the ban list was perfect from 2018 back, the issue is Uro or labe et al won't be on it. The next Uro certainly won't, and there is one around the corner for sure under FIRE. Getting the ban list right is not even half if it. Design philosophy is key.

Aazadan

Post by Aazadan » 3 years ago

Changing the companion mechanic is probably necessary.

If nothing else in 2018, 2019, and 2020 has put alarm bells blaring in their heads I can't imagine that this action being necessary hasn't. Think about this, they just printed something so over the top that even the mere act of restricting it in Vintage wasn't enough (since it already started pseudo restricted). A format that considers a restriction on Black Lotus to be sufficient wasn't able to absorb a restriction on this card, and instead they had to move to an outright ban. The first ban ever in the format that wasn't due to issues with tournament legality (physical dexterity, ante, draft only, subgame logistics). In a format where the entire point is to ban essentially nothing, and they go far, far, far, out of their way to justify banning absolutely nothing... they still had to ban it.

If that doesn't tell them just how bad they've screwed up development, I don't know what will.
Temur Twin CAN be 4 color with astrolabe and even run T3feri. Temur Twin can play most good stuff cards, opt, abrade, etc.
The main thing that would stop that is there being a finite number of three drops you can run. Blood Moon, Teferi, and Uro are all threes that would have to go in there alongside your Exarchs and Pestermites. That would clog the deck up quite a bit. You would most likely be choosing between either Uro in a green build or Teferi in a white build. Given Veil of Summer, green would probably win out as your combo with protection would require a 1-3-4 rather than 3-3-4.
Last edited by Aazadan 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”