Breya, Etherium Shaper

cryogen
GΘΔ†
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Aiming for "approaching cEDH" level, I know that this list could get a little more focused, lose "fun" stuff like Land Equilibrium, and lower the average cmc.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Doesn't seem like there are many payoffs for infinite colorless mana with the Power Artifact and Grim/Basalt.
Nim Deathmantle seems to be the only thing.
I guess casting the colorless portions of cards, but the deck is very low on draw, so its not like that is much of a factor.

I do think your ratio of mana to draw is going to leave you top decking most games.
You just have waaay too many Signets for amount of payoffs. You should definetely have some draw cards. Wheel of Fortune, Windfall, Timetwister are almost certainly required, and this helps to make the Smothering Tithe a better include in your deck.
You should include Mystic Remora and Rhystic Study.
Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain is also a draw card worth considering.

I'm never a fan of Tendrils of Agony in commander.
The Aetherflux Reservoir also look pretty weak win condition, you already have the Thassa's Oracle along with quite a few other infinites for damage, so honestly just unnecessary.
Just cut Boros Signet, Rakdos Signet, Orzhov Signet, Talisman of Conviction, Talisman of Indulgence for the draw cards.

With the Unwinding Clock you don't have many ways to use this other than Shimmer Myr.
If you keep Power Artifact then it might may to look at least one mana sink for these cards.
I'd recommend Pull from Tomorrow, Urza, Lord High Artificer, Eldrazi Displacer.

Inventors' Fair is a must include. Just take out the Bojuka Bog, too slow for cEDH.

At the moment you literally only have one out to a resolved Collector Ouphe, Stony Silence, Null Rod, Cursed Totem and that's Cyclonic Rift.
That is just not enough, in cEDH games you are going to face these cards all the time.

When you have tutors in a deck, you want them to be as versatile as possible.
If they can get you an answer to cards that are hosing you, then your ability to deal with cards is increased.
Enlightened Tutor - Seal of Cleansing, Aura of Silence, Oblivion Ring.
Spellseeker/Mystical Tutor - Abrade, Chain of Vapor.

Underworld Breach is a must include as well. Its a better version of Yawgmoth's Will in your deck. Look for Lion's Eye Diamond to just keep getting mana, and then Wheel of Fortune and Windfall to keep refeuling until you get to a win condition.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Doesn't seem like there are many payoffs for infinite colorless mana with the Power Artifact and Grim/Basalt.
Nim Deathmantle seems to be the only thing.
I guess casting the colorless portions of cards, but the deck is very low on draw, so its not like that is much of a factor.
I thought I had mana sinks for that, but I guess not. Should I consider Staff of Domination or is that too slow? I considered Gemstone Array as a filter for the colorless mana but Nim+Ironworks+Breya seemed good.
I do think your ratio of mana to draw is going to leave you top decking most games.
You just have waaay too many Signets for amount of payoffs. You should definetely have some draw cards. Wheel of Fortune, Windfall, Timetwister are almost certainly required, and this helps to make the Smothering Tithe a better include in your deck.
You should include Mystic Remora and Rhystic Study.
Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain is also a draw card worth considering.
Yeah, I should add some more card draw for sure.
I'm never a fan of Tendrils of Agony in commander.
The Aetherflux Reservoir also look pretty weak win condition, you already have the Thassa's Oracle along with quite a few other infinites for damage, so honestly just unnecessary.
That makes sense, since it looks like my infinite storm counts are Top+Citadel+Cloud Key, making ToA or AR redundant with Oracle. ToA would be better if I were running something like Hurkyl's Recall and High Tide along with the proper card draw. Should Citadel become Future Sight, or just come out all together?
All that? With such a low land count isn't that risky?
With the Unwinding Clock you don't have many ways to use this other than Shimmer Myr.
If you keep Power Artifact then it might may to look at least one mana sink for these cards.
I'd recommend Pull from Tomorrow, Urza, Lord High Artificer, Eldrazi Displacer.
Makes sense.
Inventors' Fair is a must include. Just take out the Bojuka Bog, too slow for cEDH.
Yes... yes it is.
At the moment you literally only have one out to a resolved Collector Ouphe, Stony Silence, Null Rod, Cursed Totem and that's Cyclonic Rift.
That is just not enough, in cEDH games you are going to face these cards all the time.

When you have tutors in a deck, you want them to be as versatile as possible.
If they can get you an answer to cards that are hosing you, then your ability to deal with cards is increased.
Enlightened Tutor - Seal of Cleansing, Aura of Silence, Oblivion Ring.
Spellseeker/Mystical Tutor - Abrade, Chain of Vapor.
Yeah :/
Underworld Breach is a must include as well. Its a better version of Yawgmoth's Will in your deck. Look for Lion's Eye Diamond to just keep getting mana, and then Wheel of Fortune and Windfall to keep refeuling until you get to a win condition.
Looks situational to play, but people keep talking about that card so I guess so.

So here's what I'm looking at right now for starters:

Tendrils → Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain
Unwinding Clock → Timetwister
Aetherflux → ??? (probably Urza, need to get a copy first)
Bog → Inventors' Fair (once I get a copy)

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

This is my friends' cEDH build for Breya, Etherium Shaper where he's consistently won games on turn 5-6 usually with Aetherflux Reservoir, Sensei's Divining Top, and Bolas's Citadel. I remember one of the last EDH games I played with him and he got an explosive start early game with Emry, Lurker of the Loch, Lotus Petal, and Sol Ring:

Decklist

Commander (1)

1 Breya, Etherium Shaper
Approximate Total Cost:

Given what was spoiled in Ikoria and Commander 2020 these are the updates I've been contemplating for this deck:

Whirlwind of Thought - I'd probably cut Mirrodin Besieged for this since it literally acts as a second copy of Jeskai Ascendancy despite the fact that it takes away one of the decks' win cons which I've rarely seen played.
The Ozolith - Has some potential with Modular as it can potentially allow you to go Voltron with Breya.
Fierce Guardianship - Instant staple If you don't have a problem with Breya on the battlefield. You could also swap Misdirection for Deflecting Swat since it's almost the same card.
Narset of the Ancient Way - I feel like she's got a lot of potential in this build,

I'm not particularly sold on the Triomes since they'd mostly slow you down in cEDH unless you're running Amulet of Vigor or something similar to untap. Cycling 3 probably makes up for it a lot more If you're running out of gas. A lot of the expensive cards in this deck my friend actually owns in his MTG collection so If you're looking for budget alternatives then it's available. I know the mana base might look a bit small but it plays a lot better than how it looks on paper.

Hope that helps and good luck!
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Thanks, I forgot about Lotus Petal since my only copy is in Muldrotha, and Emry, Lurker of the Loch is a card I should check out as well.

I ordered copies of Inventors' Fair and Urza, so make those changes soon. I was also thinking if Mycosynth Lattice is a worthwhile inclusion as a stax piece to lock out the table with Karn the Great Creator. I see that the list @Card Slinger J linked includes it. Thoughts?

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

MTGlion on YouTube also posted his unbeatable 8 combo Breya, Etherium Shaper EDH / Commander deck. I went ahead and tried to compile a decklist based on the deck tech he's shown to maybe help you get more ideas on how to fine tune your build. His is more expensive though the one my friend runs is slightly more budget friendly given some proxies that he runs:

Decklist

Commander (1)

1 Breya, Etherium Shaper
Approximate Total Cost:

Combo Synopsis:

Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek = Infinite Mana / Infinite Creatures.
Basalt Monolith + Grim Monolith + Mana Vault + Power Artifact = Infinite Mana.
Pili-Pala + Grand Architect = Infinite Mana.
Pestermite + Splinter Twin = Instant Speed Combo.
Jace, Wielder of Mysteries / Laboratory Maniac + Demonic Consultation / Tainted Pact = Infinite Draw / Instant Win.
Auriok Salvagers + Lion's Eye Diamond = Infinite Mana.
Worldgorger Dragon + Animate Dead / Dance of the Dead = Infinite Mana.

Hope that helps and good luck! ;)
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Thanks for the link. I watched the video and even though I took fault with a few things in it, it was pretty decent. It looks like we are basically on the same page with "load up as many combos as possible". I noticed he does run a fair number which are dead cards without the other half of the combo piece. Some straight up questionable adds also. Street Wraith? Fire Covenant? Liliana Vess?

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Fire Covenant is actually an excellent board sweep in a cEDH meta game where dorks and X/2's run rampant, so I wouldn't dismiss that card out of hand. But Vess and Wraith are definitely cards I don't think need to be added to any cEDH decklist.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I've started to see Sweltering Suns and Deafening Clarion turning up, both reasonable to think about. Pyroclasm getting less common as more focus on thrasios and less on tymna.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

mycosynth golem

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
Thanks for the link. I watched the video and even though I took fault with a few things in it, it was pretty decent. It looks like we are basically on the same page with "load up as many combos as possible". I noticed he does run a fair number which are dead cards without the other half of the combo piece. Some straight up questionable adds also. Street Wraith? Fire Covenant? Liliana Vess?
I did also notice that MTGlion was running some cards on his cEDH list for Breya, Etherium Shaper that were banned since there's some slight differences between the ban lists for Multiplayer EDH / Commander and cEDH. He did mention that he has Imperial Seal though I'm guessing Demonic Tutor is just a placeholder for it even though they're both banned in cEDH that I'd replace with Cruel Tutor. Entomb is also banned in cEDH which I'd replace with Buried Alive even though it's mainly used for reanimating Worldgorger Dragon with Animate Dead / Dance of the Dead.

Enlightened Tutor and Gifts Ungiven are also banned in cEDH which I would easily replace with Idyllic Tutor and Fact or Fiction despite being slower. Grim Monolith, Mana Crypt, and Mana Vault can easily be taken out for different mana rocks maybe Hedron Archive, Dreamstone Hedron, and Arcane Signet / Chromatic Lantern? I'd also take out Mox Diamond for Doubling Cube seeing as how you can take advantage of floating mana with Worldgorger Dragon when he enters and leaves the battlefield. Piranha Marsh makes for a funny infinite damage combo with this.

Sol Ring and Vampiric Tutor I'd replace with Mox Amber and Insidious Dreams. Street Wraith was kind of an odd choice but it's solid cantrip where Liliana Vess I think is mainly there to help tutor for what you need. As mentioned earlier Fire Covenant is an excellent board sweep in cEDH. You could also look for more creature targets for Buried Alive though I don't think it's recommended. Since Sensei's Divining Top is banned in cEDH, Soothsaying seems like a solid alternative IMO. It's not an artifact but it does function in a similar manner unless you'd rather run Crystal Ball for Scry.

- Ralph Smart

cryogen
GΘΔ†

I wasn't aware that cEDH had a ban list. Are you thinking of 1v1 Duel Commander?

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
I wasn't aware that cEDH had a ban list. Are you thinking of 1v1 Duel Commander?
I thought cEDH and 1v1 Duel Commander were the exact same format. Guess not apparently.

- Ralph Smart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Competitive (cEDH)”