Tokens 'n' Friends

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

Test branch v4c, updated 2020-08-18.

I was originally piloting a control-based superfriends list with Sliver Queen at the helm based on Trav_Ragnar's list on MTG Salvation, though I didn't include certain cards. Even without Humility or extra turn spells it could be a bit oppressive and sortof win out of nowhere with Doubling Season and some walker ultimates.

Later on he wanted to switch to a more token-focused build, and I started with that experimental version and continued tweaking from there. Since I enjoy this version much more, I might as well start a thread for it and document the journey, which included trying Ramos, Dragon Engine as the commander and being pretty pleased with that.

The goal is to have a pretty fair walker deck with interesting interactions. While I was aiming for medium power levels, the general resilience of enchantments and walkers always pushes the power up a bit, so it's usually the high end of medium power. I've set myself some guidelines for the deck: No Doubling Season, no Humility, avoid long turns as much as possible (it's not stuffed with proliferate effects), and Plan A means the walkers directly contribute to the win condition. Plan A is usually attacking with tokens created by walkers and buffed by walkers. Garruk, Cursed Huntsman is one of my favorite ways to buff, but not too early in the game. Given that it's good to be able to pivot to a backup plan I allow some other avenues, but generally I want walkers involved.

I've certainly got some stuff in the list to synergize and boost the walkers such as The Chain Veil, Oath of Teferi, Oath of Gideon, and Nesting Grounds, but mostly I have to work to get an ultimate and generally care more about the first 2 abilities. I have 1 or 2 lines possible for loops that can close out a stalled game, and they involve at least 4 cards.

Color-indexed Shocklands
Aside from saving time during my turn on walker activations, I'm also using white-bordered basic lands for visibility while searching, and also "indexed" the shocklands by painting the top left edge of the perfect-fit sleeve inside with a white paint pen, then a bit of colored sharpie (two on each) on that to indicate the land's mana colors from just fanning the deck a little.

Tokens 'n' Friends v4c

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

A while back I started a thread to gather advice for running the turns more succinctly so as not to waste much time. One set of advice was to categorize walkers as to what their non-ultimate abilities could do: cards, mana, removal, tokens, creature buffs. It'll be a challenge to balance the core set of walkers because they each likely do 2-3 things from that list, and some are potentially repeatable (on a plus ability) and some might only happen once or twice (on a minus ability) -- I'm really trying to balance a set of abilities, so help will be appreciated on that front, too.

As refinement of the list continues as I play it, I've discovered I don't need certain abilities as much on walkers as originally thought. Tokens and buffs are still important because of Plan A. Mana production was the least needed, so now if I have a walker that produces mana it tends to do other things. Sarkhan Unbroken for example also draws a card when he makes a mana, and he can make 4/4 fliers -- that mana is just a bonus along with the card. I also can't rely only on walkers for card draw because I've ended up topdecking when I couldn't keep creatures or walkers on the field, so a walker that offers draw or card access needs to bring something else to the table.

I mentioned him before, but Garruk, Cursed Huntsman is one of my favorite walkers in the deck due to his abilities. He makes two tokens with a total of 4 power, if they die that buffs the loyalty on all my Garruk walkers, and that contributes to him pretty often being able to ultimate for that permanent Overrun emblem by the turn after I cast him. There are a few cards that help him do that the same turn, too (simplest being Oath of Gideon). His -3 is removal and draws a card, which is just gravy.

Several cards currently in the list I have not been able to experience in an actual game yet, but overall I've reduced walker count a bit and increased creature count. Partially, the latter was influenced by wanting to have fun with Mirrorweave. I expect I'll end up at around 20 walkers with some changes to the lineup for each card type when it's far more stable... but it's also fun to just swap new things in sometimes.

You may have noticed the uncard B.O.B. (Bevy of Beebles) in the list, too. Most pods have been fine with it, and I always offer to switch it out if they'd rather. So far some players have noticed it's a little more useful/powerful in this list than they first though it was going to be, but also that it's not too powerful and they had no complaints about its inclusion. Mostly the surprise at BOB being better then they thought was from a game where I was flickering BOB with Aminatou, the Fateshifter and then using Nesting Grounds to refuel Aminatou. This allowed me to draw 2 cards from BOB per turn, and for a moment I had Parallel Lives in play and flickered. You may wonder how BOB interacts with cards like Doubling Season, so here are the details (all from rulings and speaking with judges):
  • "The number of loyalty counters on B.O.B. is equal to the number of Beebles you control. (Create or sacrifice Beebles whenever B.O.B. gains or loses loyalty.)"
    Think of the number of Beebles you control as the expression of BOB's loyalty counters. It doesn't have actual loyalty counters like other walkers, it's a static thing entangled with how many Beebles you have. If you ask BOB how many loyalty counters it has
  • The 4 Beebles BOB makes as it enters ("as ~ enters the battlefield" creates a replacement effect) will get doubled by: Doubling Season, Parallel Lives, Anointed Procession, and Primal Vigor. The first 3 care about effects specifically, and PV does not.
  • If you +1 BOB, increasing the loyalty by 1 is the cost of putting that ability's effect on the stack. Similar to how Doubling Season does not do its thing for normal walkers when +1 means "put 1 loyalty counter on this walker", it doesn't affect BOB's "create 1 Beeble token" cost either, so you just create 1. Same for Parallel Lives and Anointed Procession -- you just get 1 Beeble token.
  • Primal Vigor is the exception to the above. It is different because it doesn't care how tokens are being put on the battlefield (by an effect or not), just that they are and you double it. And because of its replacement effect, then if you have any of the other enchantments in play you'll get further doublings. Primal Vigor + Parallel Lives would get you 4 Beebles created from the +1 cost on BOB.
  • Adding loyalty to BOB using an effect from an outside source such as Nesting Grounds, because BOB translates "put 1 loyalty counter on" as "create 1 Beeble token", does get doubled by those enchantments. A more insane example:
    SPOILER
    Show
    Hide
    Have in play B.O.B. (Bevy of Beebles), Oath of Teferi, Sarkhan the Masterless, Aminatou, the Fateshifter, and The Ozolith (with no counters) during your pre-combat main phase. Let's say you have 4 Beebles currently, and we're not going to worry about activations of BOB.

Note: The Ozolith doesn't actually put counters on itself from a creature that left on its first ability - it looks back to see the types and numbers of counters that were on the creature before it left, then puts counters of the same numbers of the same types on itself. Similarly, the "move all counters" of the second ability isn't a direct transfer but more literally "remove all counters from this and put the same numbers and types of counters on target creature'.
    • Activate Sarkhan to turn walkers into creatures. BOB1 is now a creature.
    • Flicker BOB1 with Aminatou.
    • As BOB2 enters, it makes 4 new Beebles (new total of 8).
    • The Ozolith trigger looks back at Past BOB1 to see count/types of counters on BOB1.
    • Past BOB1 says it had 4 loyalty counters at that point in time. The Ozolith puts 4 loyalty counters on itself (for real, total 4).
    • Flicker BOB2 with Aminatou again. (Because why not!)
    • As BOB3 enters, it makes 4 new Beebles (new total of 12).
    • The Ozolith trigger looks back at Past BOB2 to see count/types of counters on BOB2.
    • Past BOB2 says it had 8 loyalty counters at that point in time. The Ozolith puts 8 loyalty counters on itself (for real, total 12).
    • Activate Sarkhan again to make walkers into creatures. New BOB3 is now a creature.
    • Go to Combat and Ozolith's second ability triggers. Target BOB3. Ozolith removes 12 loyalty counters from itself, and in the process of adding 12 loyalty to BOB3, 12 more Beebles are made.
    Works nicely if you have haste and a static buff. Any of the token-doubler enchantments like Parallel Lives work. Starting with 4 tokens again but Parallel Lives in play, too: flicker1 adds 8 (12) and Ozolith gets 4 LCs (4), flicker2 adds 8 (20) and Ozolith gets 12 LCs (16), at combat Ozolith 'moves' 16 and 32 more tokens are made for a total of 52 tokens.
Combo Lines
Show
Hide
Chain Teferi
The Chain Veil + Teferi, Temporal Archmage is usually done with Teferi as the commander and with mana rocks that tap for a decent amount, like Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo so that you can untap TCV and the rocks with Teferi, keep paying TCV, and use the other floated mana to recast Teferi repeatedly from the command zone. Then infinite mana, dig through the library, cast stuff, win.

Note: TCV is an unusual thing because its activated ability modifies the rules of the game. Each time it resolves increases how many times you can activate each planeswalker object you control. Not just ones you controlled when that resolved, but also ones you control later that turn, such as re-cast or flickered walkers. So if you resolved TCV's activated ability twice, then you can activate each distinct walker object three times total in that turn. If another enters the battlefield under you control afterward you can activate it three times. If you flicker one of the ones you've already activated three times then it's a new object and you can activate it three more times.

Since Teferi isn't our commander we can't do it quite the same way, but the way that's closest is to get Tamiyo, the Moon Sage's emblem so that when we take Teferi to zero loyalty he'll return to hand. I also don't have large mana rocks in this deck, so something like Mirari's Wake or Garruk Wildspeaker is necessary for lands to produce enough. Tamiyo requires 5 activations to get that emblem and you need that before Teferi dies in order to loop him, but transferring a loyalty counter to him from a third walker using Nesting Grounds works.

Naya Charm and Eerie Ultimatum can also get Teferi back at least once for a second iteration of using him, and Teferi, Hero of Dominaria can put him third from the top of the library as a sort of bounce. Spark Double can clone him, too, for extra untaps. Clever Impersonator can, too, but you'll have to sac one so you'd have to wait until the original is down to 1 loyalty.

Fortunately, a lot of the walkers benefit from multiple activations even if you don't go infinite with TCV, so there are ample opportunities for win conditions among them aside from tons of tokens and draw. Garruk, Primal Hunter for example only needs 4 activations to ult. Sorin, Grim Nemesis is the same. And 4 is doable with all the other requirements minus Tamiyo's emblem since Teferi starts with 5 loyalty.

Blinkenlots
Aminatou, the Fateshifter can flicker any permanent you control, including a walker, so the goal is to have Oath of Teferi or The Chain Veil with one activation resolved. Spark Double or Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God is your second Aminatou. With two activations possible, each can repeat the loop of flickering one other thing and then flickering the other Aminatou to reset them. Whichever isn't doing the first reset on the other can just flicker other things twice.

This gets infinite activations of walkers by flickering them, infinite mana by flicker lands or certain walkers, etc. From there your win condition depends on which walkers you have on hand. There are a number that will let you dig through the deck to find haste because there are also a number of them that will allow you to make infinite tokens (and Xenagos's tokens already have haste). Without haste, flickering either Tamiyo allows you to tap everything targetable down for a trip around the table so that you can pass and attack on your next turn. Here are some other options: The only reservation I have with this line is that Dragon-God is already a win condition and could be part of the loop, which just means three cards are needed and I typically like a minimum of 4. But I also don't like his ult and I'm likely to hold off for some other payoff unless somebody is very turtled up and his +1 takes care of that problem but kinda wins when you can do it however many times you want.
If you have an idea for refinement, feel free to voice it. I may not prioritize it or get around to trying it, but I'll certainly respond to it.
Last edited by lyonhaert 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Tags:

lyonhaert

[reserved]

Outcryqq
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Outcryqq » 3 years ago

If you're really going hard on the token generation, I'd propose Divine Visitation. Card is pretty nuts in my Marath, Will of the Wild tokens deck, it's not really oppressive, and will reward you for doing what your deck looks like it will do naturally - spit out tokens.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

A question regarding your restriction: you've mentioned that you are considering some proliferate but want to work for your ultimates. It seems that Deepglow Skate is somewhere between these, as a 1-time effect instead of just Doubling Season. Honestly, I use it combined with Saheeli Rai -2, but that is almost certainly outside your restriction.

Is Urza's Ruinous Blast a viable board wipe here?

It's not quite the plan that you're looking at right now, but a friend of mine has been playing a Reaper King superfriends deck since Innistrad. A couple years ago he dropped all his scarecrows and added Arcane Adaptation and the like and turned all the tokens he made from walkers into removal. If you're testing alternate commanders and stay focused on the token route, this may be viable for you.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

lyonhaert

Outcryqq wrote:
3 years ago
If you're really going hard on the token generation, I'd propose Divine Visitation. Card is pretty nuts in my Marath, Will of the Wild tokens deck, it's not really oppressive, and will reward you for doing what your deck looks like it will do naturally - spit out tokens.
Yep, I need to test that. There's a longer list of stuff to test -- I definitely didn't list everything in the OP. Day of the Dragons would be funny but is a bit of a liability. Divine Visitation + Mogg Infestation would be hilarious. Another way I want to test for flying + buff is Homura, Human Ascendant.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
A question regarding your restriction: you've mentioned that you are considering some proliferate but want to work for your ultimates. It seems that Deepglow Skate is somewhere between these, as a 1-time effect instead of just Doubling Season. Honestly, I use it combined with Saheeli Rai -2, but that is almost certainly outside your restriction.
As would Aminatou's -1 on the Skate (Saheeli is cool, though). The problem isn't Doubling Season itself but the Easy Button ability to double the loyalty counters with a very narrow profile of interaction. In some ways, Doubling Season is nicer than Deepglow Skate. It has to be on the board first and is open to removal in response to casting a 'walker with a wicked ult -- because once that 'walker hits the field with enough counters there's no opportunity for interaction before that ult is activated and on the stack. At that point the only interaction is a Stifle-like effect. Deepglow Skate has a narrower profile of interaction because you either counter it or you Stifle the trigger (if there's only 'walker worth worrying about, maybe you Stifle the ult instead).

So I'm not using the Skate, either. I'm still iffy about the proliferation. Planewide Celebration is the closest to the above two, even if it can be used for other things, because it can add 4 loyalty counters unless countered. After that resolves there's quite a number of walkers that can ult from 4 more counters than they start with and the first one I activate isn't getting stopped without a Stifle-like. Karn's Bastion is after that since it can plop down for a 5-mana surprise +1 loyalty, but if left on the board can be used repeatedly. Fuel for the Cause is probably the fairest because it's pretty unlikely to happen more than once, and I'm more likely to wait for it to matter in case I need to use it to protect something, unlike something like Tezzeret's Gambit which I can use whenever I want to. More than likely I'll end up sticking to Ajani Steadfast and Ajani the Greathearted as my "proliferate".

NB: These exclusions are similar to not using Gary/Koko/Exsanguinate in my Chainer deck. Certain ways of doing things just get old to me.

As I think about it, Pir, Imaginative Rascal is mostly geared toward enabling ults, too. He may rather indirectly get more value out of the 'walkers by providing more counters on pluses that allow more use of minuses than without him -- but he's very squishy without a buff. For the purpose of +1/+1 counters on creatures he might be replaceable with Hardened Scales. We'll just see how he tests and whether he makes certain things too easy.

With the disclaimer up front at the start of a game that it's a superfriends deck that won't be doing ults out of nowhere, hopefully it softens some of the "scariness" of it being a superfriends deck. By focusing instead on getting additional value out of their other abilities with multiple activations, doubling the tokens, or buffing those tokens, ults might happen but maybe they don't have to. It might also be an interesting space psychologically if the other players think they have time to deal with a walker or two since the ults won't be immediate, rather than dealing with the player to prevent the ult. I tend to allow some small attacks through if they're just chipping off a counter or two.

I even have a small slip of paper in Liliana Dreadhorde General's sleeve right now covering her ult because it involves MLD.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
Is Urza's Ruinous Blast a viable board wipe here?
I've considered it. It could leave problematic commanders, though, and probably leaves Sisay's board alone. It's still in my pile, but I'm considering a number of kinds of wipes. I may even consider Cyclonic Rift (finally) since the tokens tend to have a bit of an uphill battle to do well in combat. I even have slightly obscure stuff like March of Souls in the pile.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
It's not quite the plan that you're looking at right now, but a friend of mine has been playing a Reaper King superfriends deck since Innistrad. A couple years ago he dropped all his scarecrows and added Arcane Adaptation and the like and turned all the tokens he made from walkers into removal. If you're testing alternate commanders and stay focused on the token route, this may be viable for you.
That would definitely be an alternate power level to potentially have that much removal. I think even Aura Shards would be a bit much for what I'm aiming for, but there's the possibility that it's actually not terrible here. Warstorm Surge would be fun, though.

For removal in general, I do need to swap a couple walkers for ones with target removal, probably, and changeup my instant-speed removal somewhat.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

I think I better understand the target power level and playstyle restrictions.

I went back though my own superfriends deck and the walkers that may be on theme and decent here are:
  • The last way that I can think of to add loyalty, but keeping that play telegraphed would be Ajani Unyielding. I'd actually suggest him for the card advantage and removal, but that ultimate might go too far for your restriction. You currently only have 14 non-permanents, so he's an average of 2+ cards/turn on a +2.
  • Vraska, Relic Seeker is removal and tokens, but the ultimate may go too far here.
  • Venser, the Sojourner can reset a walker after a minus or let Spark Double change forms. There's also some potential to get more triggers for your Oaths. He enables an alpha strike with tokens on the -1. The ultimate can be backbreaking, but takes a while to get there.
  • Nissa, Vital Force is my regrowth (my restriction is to do as much with only walkers as possible), but can also represent a larger land-creature or card advantage over turns.
There are also a bunch of walkers that untap permanents to generate more mana, but I'm guessing you'd like to avoid those to keep your turns shorter.

EDIT: what are your thoughts on Fog effects? Spike Weaver seems good here.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

lyonhaert

Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
I think I better understand the target power level and playstyle restrictions.
Which might help me better convey it in the OP, too.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
I went back though my own superfriends deck and the walkers that may be on theme and decent here are:
  • The last way that I can think of to add loyalty, but keeping that play telegraphed would be Ajani Unyielding. I'd actually suggest him for the card advantage and removal, but that ultimate might go too far for your restriction. You currently only have 14 non-permanents, so he's an average of 2+ cards/turn on a +2.
Just recently got a copy of him, actually, and he's in the testing pile. His ult is probably fine because it's telegraphed and will be quite open to interaction for at least one go around the table. It may hasten other walkers' ults, but if I have any of them out and they're not being dealt with then my opponents are going to be in trouble anyway. If he's able to get to his ult faster because of two activations per turn, for example, then so can other walkers. Being able to +5/+5 my creatures may be the finisher instead, which is fine, though I think Garruk Cursed Huntsman's emblem is quite good (and can happen rather quickly).
Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
Setting life isn't quite as bad as Liliana Dreadhorde General's MLD. I'm reminded of Sorin Markov, and doing the minus (which is available right away), and how that just paints a target on you. Perhaps she gets minused first, which would take pressure off that. Also room for interaction before it can go off. It would be a hilarious way to make Near-Death Experience happen.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
  • Venser, the Sojourner can reset a walker after a minus or let Spark Double change forms. There's also some potential to get more triggers for your Oaths. He enables an alpha strike with tokens on the -1. The ultimate can be backbreaking, but takes a while to get there.
Yeah, he would be fine here. I have him in another deck at the moment and am going to test Aminatou, the Fateshifter for resetting instead, since it happens immediately instead of at end of turn.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
  • Nissa, Vital Force is my regrowth (my restriction is to do as much with only walkers as possible), but can also represent a larger land-creature or card advantage over turns.
The recursion is nice, and her emblem is gas. She's sortof in the testing pile, but I'm also planning an Estrid, the Masked lands deck where she would probably fit better along with some other Nissa walkers.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
There are also a bunch of walkers that untap permanents to generate more mana, but I'm guessing you'd like to avoid those to keep your turns shorter.
Untapping my stuff is generally fine, as it hasn't been to difficult to know what colors I want. If I mess up, I tend to just eat my mistake. I have Garruk Wildspeaker and Teferi Temporal Archmage are in here. Ral Zarek would be fine, too. I tend to take longer picking targets for Kiora the Crashing Wave +1 and Tamiyo Field Researcher +1 and -2.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
EDIT: what are your thoughts on Fog effects? Spike Weaver seems good here.
Possibly a lightning rod for removal, but quite the rattlesnake if my opponents don't have it or there's worse targets. It also has a bit of synergy with Ramos if he needs just 1 or 2 more counters to make mana. On its own being able to fog three times would be fine, but it can be a turbo-fog mana sink if Pir or Scales are out. Turbo-fog is probably a bit much for the power level I'm thinking of, but having a fog or two in general would be nice. I may still test it, though, especially if I take Pir out and recursion/flicker/walkers are the only way to refuel counters on it.

Arachnogenesis, Batwing Brume, Moment's Peace, Druid's Deliverance, Energy Arc, Respite, Riot Control, Tangle, etc. are fogs I've wanted to try. Arachnogenesis makes tokens, which is good for me, and Tangle can ensure a crackback. I was saving Teferi's Protection for the boros equipment voltron that's in the works (because it will have a Sunforger package), but it would be handy here, too.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

lyonhaert

Just a dump of cards in my maybe/test pile:
walkers
Show
Hide
Ajani Steadfast & Aminatou, the Fateshifter are finding slots fairly soon.
Ob Nixilis Reignited
Ral Zarek
Samut, the Tested
Sarkhan the Masterless
Ashiok, Nightmare Muse
Ajani Strength of the Pride
Ajani Goldmane
Chandra Flamecaller
Garruk Primal Hunter
Tezzeret the Seeker
Sorin Lord of Innistrad
Domri, Anarch of Bolas
Saheeli Rai
Nissa, Vital Force (probably going in Estrid instead)
Xenagos, the Reveler
Sarkhan Unbroken
Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner (probably not consistent enough for this deck on the trigger)
Arlinn Kord (might actually be of more use than before)
Edit 1:
Ajani Unyielding
Vraska, Relic Seeker
Dovin, Grand Arbiter
Rowan Kenrith

some walkers that were (or would have been) part of the much more control-focused list, for reference:
Ashiok, Dream Render
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Jace, Memory Adept
Jace, Architect of Thought
Vraska the Unseen (with p/t and trample, this could be a more plausible wincon, hahaha)
Dovin Baan (I never actually ran him because the Winter Orb ult is not something I really wanted)
Kaya, Ghost Assassin (alt wincon)
Karn Liberated
others
Show
Hide
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove
Homura, Human Ascendant (could replace Overwhelming Stampede)
Yomiji, Who Bars the Way (he returns everybody's, so that could be not good)
Aura Shards (possibly too heavy)
Beast Within
Utter End
Baird, Steward of Argive
Djeru, With Eyes Open
Thalia's Lancers
Academy Rector
Arena Rector (don't actually have one yet)
Warstorm Surge
Brave the Sands
Martial Coup
March of Souls
Obzedat's Aid / Treasured Find
The Elderspell (this is a little more acceptable than some of the cards I've rejected above - to get an ult sooner would cost me more cards. I don't see many other other players using walkers, so I'm assuming I'd have to destroy some of my own walkers)
Second Harvest
Clone Legion (similar to above, but copy anybody's stuff, making it a possible alt wincon)
Divine Visitation
Shadowspear (trample and lifelink on Ramos would be nice, the 1: ability is okay, and it untaps Honor-Worn Shaku)
Greater Good
Crop Rotation
Primeval Bounty
Akroma's Memorial
Verdant Confluence
Eldrazi Monument
Bitterblossom
Dragon Throne of Tarkir
Arachnogenesis
Kykar, Wind's Fury
Sphere of Safety / Norn's Annex
Edit 1:
Kamahl's Druidic Vow
Shalai, Voice of Plenty
Bioessence Hydra
Edit 1: Forgot a few.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

lyonhaert

First 1:45:00 of this video is my game last night playing this walker deck. I have a good number of changes I'm testing which are mostly just trying other walkers. The only new card of that group that saw use in this game was Divine Visitation, though. But aside from misplays and mistakes I need to learn from, I managed to get three emblems without any multiple-activation pieces, and one of them saved my attackers from my opponent's Sarkhan the Masterless. I also want to test that card, but his trigger may not be very useful to me since his +1 only makes my walkers into dragons until the end of that turn. Better than Arcane Adaptation I suppose I could run Descent of the Dragons to convert smaller tokens into dragons and get even more if Anointed Procession or Parallel Lives are out. That would be useful even without Masterless, and some of the other players' board states would have been less threatening as dragon tokens instead of dragons with combat-related triggers.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”