[Deck] Gx Tron

Community RulesModern Forum Rules
Read Before Posting
ktkenshinx
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

This is a placeholder thread. If you are interested in taking over the thread and/or writing a primer, PM the moderator team.
This is the thread to discuss the Gx Tron archetype in Modern. For better or worse, there is probably no more iconic Modern deck than Gx Tron, if for no other reason than 1+1+1 = 7. T3 Karn Liberated has been a Modern meme for basically the entire format's history, just as the hyper-consistent Tron mana engine has been a format defining force for literal years. With Wizards printing powerful new colorless options in every set, Gx Tron continues to evolve. Summer 2019 has seen Gx Tron take on its newest form with the almighty Karn, the Great Creator offering toolbox answers to most of the other top decks, or a T4 combo kill with Mycosynth Lattice. Gx Tron is going nowhere; embrace our Urza's and Karn overlords with this representative decklist:

Even with the Gx Tron core set in virtual stone (4 Sphere, 4 Star, 4 Stirrings, 4 Map, 4 Scrying, 12 Tronlands, etc.), there is still significant room for the deck's continued evolution. Discuss where Tron is going from here and the best ways to crush those fair decks into dust.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

unicornturtle2000
Johnny Player

Post by unicornturtle2000 » 4 years ago

Once Upon a Time seems like it might be playable :D
Hehe turn 1 first spell cast once for free, then after that use forest and go into ancient stirrings

Also Stonecoil Serpent is a good replacement for Endless One if people even play it anymore :P

Simto
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Simto » 4 years ago

Has anybody tested Once upon a time out yet? I know it's a slightly worse Ancient Stirrings, but I could see it being nice having maybe one or two in the deck.

I have a feeling they made it as a backup for Stirrings in case it got banned hehe. I know I'll at least get a playset asap if that happens.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

longtime midrange player but decided I wanted to try and earn Tron by playing it online through a few leagues.

My first question is how do you approach mulligans/what are some general rules for mulligans?

Second question is how do you approach aggro matchups?

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
longtime midrange player but decided I wanted to try and earn Tron by playing it online through a few leagues.

My first question is how do you approach mulligans/what are some general rules for mulligans?

Second question is how do you approach aggro matchups?
I don't play Tron, but I think on keeps of 5, 6, or 7, you should have a reasonable way to get Tron. Either 2 different Tron pieces and Map, 3 different Tron pieces, or 2 different Tron pieces, Star/Sphere, and Sylvan Scrying. Sometimes if you are at 5, you could keep something like Tron piece and 2 Maps if you have a payoff. But I think you need to have a good chance of getting Tron by turn 3 because outside of that, your deck is pretty weak.

I personally feel that it really depends on certain matchups of course. For example, Wurmcoil Engine or Thragtusk and maybe a Nature's Claim vs. Burn with a fairly solid chance of hitting Tron on the play seems fine vs. Burn. Then there's other matchups like Neoform where you know you're pretty dead unless you hit Grafdigger's Cage or Karn, the Great Creator with Tron for Cage. You have such a slim chance to win, you have to just hope to have something going on and hope they stumble a bit.

*An example of something you wouldn't keep is on 6, Urza's Tower, Forest, Ghost Quarter, Chromatic Star, Chromatic Sphere, Ulamog. You have to mull that to 5 and pray. BTW, I have a friend who mulled to 0 with his version of RG Tron many years ago (he played Explore in Tron). He drew running diff Tron lands and then Karn Liberated and ended up winning. It was a really stupid game.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Big Mana”