Nexus Online Playgroup Thread!

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Casual, Odd decks
Typical Game Length: 90 minutes or so.
MLD? If you play Boros or.monowhite, go for it.
Combo? Only janky ones
Win methods: Commander damage, combat. janky combo, damage to the face,
GMT: -3
Preferred time around midnight.or early afternoon
Setup:: Cockatrice screename:orlosmur Open to try otjers

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

Type: Social
Game Length: 1-3hr
MLD: iffy - It's a feelbad, but if it secures a quick end then I'll have less time to feel bad. Don't make us wait. :P
Combo: probably - They're blah to me when they have little room for interaction or are assembled too quickly/easily.
Timezone: EDT (UTC-4 atm)
Time pref: Late Evenings (after 8:30pm my time)
Webcam: Y - Preferred method is this plus Discord
MTGO: Nope
Cockatrice: possibly
Discord: Y - lyonhaert#3393, and so far I can be found on Olivia Gobert-Hicks's discord: https://discord.gg/RMgTDGz
Untap: possibly

On Cockatrice and Untap, I've dabbled in both a little bit to get an impression of the interface. They have their clunkiness and I wouldn't want to play without a voice channel for conversation. I prefer webcam because it just feels better using my physical cards, even though certain cards/effects are logistically much harder.

On power level, my decks are pretty medium. Kinda tuned, sometimes a little optimized. I might put together a higher power-level deck... some day.

@bobthefunny:
|[b]lyonhaert[/b]|Social|1-3hr|iffy|probably|UTC-4|after 8:30pm|Y|N|possibly|Y|N|possibly|
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

@Henlock @lyonhaert added!

lyonhaert, on Wed/Thurs at that 8:30 time @cryogen hosts a webcam game, which he streams on the Nexus channel. We'd love to have more players for it if you're interested!

===

Been a bit busy over the weekend, but yesterday we had some games on Cockatrice.

The first game was between @Dragonlover, @Sinis, @Maluko, and myself. Maluko had a strong start with some explosive dragons, as an early Wasitora, Nekoro Queen gave some problems for most people. Dragonlover was rocking a white legends tribal deck which flips over cards until a random commander is found, which this time was Kongming, the sleeping dragon. He mostly bided his time building up a decent board, protected by Jazal and Danitha who first stiked, which kept my Wurms at bay. Speaking of Wurms, I got to play my second real game with my Rashmi Wurm tribal deck, in which I got to cast the most expensive harmonize yet... it was a Crush of Wurms... backed up by Kindred Discovery... There may have been a few upsides to this 'harmonize.' Sinis terrorized some people with some good Garruk synergy, but despite having two Garruks that could pretty much kill anything, was actually not in the best board position. In the end, a Bellowing Tanglewurm did a lot to help the Wurms break through, and the Wurms deck ended up victorious.

During that game, @materpillar and @rogerandover jumped in to spectate, and also joined us for the fun on the discord channel we had set up for voice.

Dragonlover and Maluko had to step out for dinner related things, so @materpillar, @Sinis, and I saddled up for a three player game for round three. Sinis had Sidar Kondo and Tana the Bloodsower deck making a few tokens, I helped my Yeva big green things deck, and materpillar pulled out an Ur-Dragon cat tribal deck. Or sponge tribal. Or was it squids? I don't really remember, it was all too confusing. I powered out a good amount of early ramp thanks to a wall of roots, so I was able to kill materpillar's goblin catcher with a thorn mamoth early on to put a stop to his silly kraken synergy. Of course that didn't last long, and Sinis and I turned on each other for just a second, but while we blinked, materpillar's vampires came out, and suddenly we had to scheme together as we were on the backfoot. This didn't last too long though, as our schemeing wasn't terribly effective, and we were soon overrun by the minotaurs.

gg to all!

"Image"

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

It's really cool to see the community playing together :)

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
Henlock lyonhaert added!

lyonhaert, on Wed/Thurs at that 8:30 time cryogen hosts a webcam game, which he streams on the Nexus channel. We'd love to have more players for it if you're interested!
Yes! We are always looking for more players.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

lyonhaert

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
Henlock lyonhaert added!

lyonhaert, on Wed/Thurs at that 8:30 time cryogen hosts a webcam game, which he streams on the Nexus channel. We'd love to have more players for it if you're interested!
Sure, I'm down for that this week. We're already friends on Discord. Do you coordinate from a server, or just through group DMs?
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
Henlock lyonhaert added!

Sure, I'm down for that this week. We're already friends on Discord. Do you coordinate from a server, or just through group DMs?
Currently just DMs. Mulling over how to expand that though.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

lyonhaert

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
cryogen wrote:
3 years ago

Currently just DMs. Mulling over how to expand that though.
Probably with a discord server and that scheduler bot. I don't think OGH would care if you piggy-backed on her server a bit, unless you were trying to keep it to MTGNexus folks.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Ok folks, I've never interacted with Discord but I would like to try and get in on this. Does anyone have any recommendations for webcams? The first listed on Amazon is $43.99, and the price goes up from there. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want a crappy camera either. I imagine I could figure Discord out, but if anyone has any tips for that, I'm all ears.

I've really been missing Commander lately.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

lyonhaert

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Ok folks, I've never interacted with Discord but I would like to try and get in on this. Does anyone have any recommendations for webcams? The first listed on Amazon is $43.99, and the price goes up from there. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want a crappy camera either.
Be careful of pricing on sites like Amazon. Compare with the MSRP of the product and look at whether the seller is new on Amazon, etc. The Logitech C920 and C922 are the most popular for good detail, but you can likely get by with less. Boom arms are handy for positioning the camera above your play area, and there are inexpensive options for LED panel lights.

It's also possible to use your mobile as the webcam, to use desk lamps with a white t-shirt to diffuse the light, to position a laptop with built-in webcam on some books over the play area. Brooms + duct tape. Whatever works, really.
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I imagine I could figure Discord out, but if anyone has any tips for that, I'm all ears.
Mostly just make an account. Folks on the server I linked above have rigged setups in all sorts of ways and are quite helpful if you want assistance/advice on setting up the cam, helping you test, etc.

Aside from recommending turning on Two-Factor Auth (and using a mobile app like Authy), it's easier to recommend other settings once you're on there. I also use the desktop app version rather than in-browser version, since it maybe has better access to audio/video hardware options.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 3 years ago

@bobthefunny it was nice seeing some of your action, though I didn't commit wholeheartedly. But next time I want to join the fun! :) Maybe more will join the discord-server so we could set up multiple games.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Nice job bobthefunny with the spreadsheet :)

|DarrenHabib|Everything|1-2 hrs|Y|Y|GMT +12 |Most days|-|Y|-|Y|-|-|

For all those on MTGO who want to have a regular time to play as a group, we are looking to have some games on Fridays. So yeah FNM.

Currently we are looking at 10:00 pm Friday, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).

So for those in the USA that'll be at 6pm EST.

Just reply to this post if you are keen to join the pool of potential players for this organized time. If we get more than 4 players, then I'm sure we can alternate, but lets see if anybody else beside me and pokken can make that time,

pokken

I am down for at least 6 til 9 est fridays. I have another group that sometimes plays. I'll try to drag my RL buddies onto nexus as well.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

6est is 3pst, and I'm still asleep at that time, so that's a no from me. I could make 5pst sometimes or 6pst more reliably though. (I work nights).

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

I'll be down for some FNM on MTGO. We played one a bit later last Friday, and I was about to pm those people again for another round. :)
@darrenhabib
darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Nice job bobthefunny with the spreadsheet :)
And you can thank @Feyd_Ruin for adding all the sorting and stuff to the tables, after I wouldn't stop bugging him about it. :)

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

We have 7 players lined up for Cockatrice+Discord gaming on Saturday at 8pm GMT (4pm EST), so we'll be running 2 games! If anyone else wants to join in, drop me a line either here or on PM.

There's an easy 4th slot open for game 2, or we can shuffle people around between games, or make a mix of 3/4 player games if even more people are interested!

Feel free to join our discord for voice chat as well: https://discord.gg/Fs27JM

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

Ooo, I haven't thrown my hat in here, but I can probably do 4pm saturday. I'll make sure I still have cockatrice and discord runnable when I get home, cause it's been a bit.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

3drinks

I'll be checking in friday evening once i wake up to see if anyone is still playing.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Alright! We had 4 people on Friday and got two games in on MTGO. @pokken got to show us the fury of mono-colored Golos decks twice in a row. Red Golos the first game, followed by Green Golos the second. The first game I played my Xira Arien deck, which was not quite up to par with the competition, but at least I was able to clean stuff up with some removal, as well as shutting down @3drinks's graveyard repeatedly for having the audacity to play Alesha, Who Smiles at Death. @darrenhabib's Yorion was the threat to deal with for most of the game, and it took collusion from all three of us to put a stop to it, but once defeated there were no more checks against Pokken's Golos deck, and I no longer had the removal to stop his massive amount of mana.

The second game didn't last long, as @pokken had Dryad of the Ilysian Grove out early, and then Golos flipped a Nyxbloom Ancient which meant that each land tapped for 3 of any mana with the dryad, which meant a stupid amount more Golos activations, which killed my army and gave him a massive Reach blocker to stop my Commander (Eutropia).

===

For today, our growing Saturday group had 8 players show up, so we had two games going at once! I gave a try to see how the streaming set up would work, so one game is up, though my sound set up seems to need some work.

I played Yeva, but unfortunately kept a 3 land hand that didn't get a fourth for quite a while. The pirate deck got off to a good start, while @Maluko got to show off some of the cool new mutate interactions. @rogerandover stole the show though by ramping like a madman in mono red, and then finishing us all off with a good old-fashioned Repercussion Furnace.

We briefly peeked over at the other game, and who knows what the heck was going on over there. There was stuff all over the place. @lyonhaert was playing his Chainer Dementia Master deck, which I think he also featured on @cryogen's stream earlier this week. @Dragonlover was playing his alt-wincon deck, and there were so many alt-wincons on the battlefield. I saw at least a Happily Ever After, a shrine of loyal legions with Mechanized Production on it, Liliana's Contract, Chance Encounter, Near Death Experience, and of course, a Barren Glory. The game came down to @materpillar vs @JoeyB11223 though at the end, as Joey's Doran deck tried to hold off in vain as doublestriking Darksteel Colossuses trampled down his face.

ggs all on both nights!

pokken

I tell ya being on the receiving end of yorion...I deleted my deck right there and then. It's such a beautiful design but utterly vicious.

I'm also rethinking the whole golos concept sadly. It's so dang linear.

3drinks

I totally support anyone whom chooses not to play Golos, fwiw 👀👀

On the other hand, anyone whom reuses their B-Bog is dead to me 🙄😐😂

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 3 years ago

I'd have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those pesky kids!

So thanks to lyonhaerts Altar of the Brood we'd all been being milled pretty heavily, which meant my Open the Vaults was incredibly effective. In addition to the mentioned wincons, it got back Revel in Riches and a Contagion Engine alongside Doubling Season so I nuked lyonhaerts board and made 36 Treasure tokens. Unfortunately JoeyB11223 had a Spidersilk Armor and I screwed up my combat math when he swung in to finish me off and took exactly lethal rather than being left on exactly 1. Which, amusingly, would have given me the win off Near-Death Experience.

As my wife put it after the game, I had all these ways to win and chose losing instead. Fantastic game though, as is any game that includes a judge call because layers are hard

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

lyonhaert

@Dragonlover I'd already rebuilt from wipes like 3 times, and staved off near-death a couple times mostly thanks to good ol' Claws of Gix, but also Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper. I just couldn't do anything after Overwhelming Splendor was put on my and Contagion Engine wiped out my no-ability 1/1s (both from Open the Vaults). I just had no answer to Splendor (starts eyeing that Scour from Existence).
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 3 years ago

I had a veey nice time in the game. My pirates were kept in check and the dramatic massive kill by rogerandover we were expecting closed the game.in great style. A nice experience!

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 3 years ago

I had a really good time too, and I'm already looking forward to the next time :)
@bobthefunny I wouldn't say I stole that game. It was earned and Squee paid with his life serveral times to bring back that elk :) If I havn't won that turn, you guys would have finished me off.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”