Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

Please use this thread to post comments and discussion about unreleased or just released cards. Single card or multi-card discussions outside of this thread will be merged here.

Morganelefay
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morganelefay » 4 years ago

So uh, dear Wizards...who thought having a better Glimpse of Nature in the command zone was a GOOD idea, exactly? This thing is gonna be broken in half before the set even releases. Just think about the synergy with Karametra, God of Harvests and Tatyova, Benthic Druid on top of everything...
EDH Decks:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis - Arise, Lord Hogaak.
Grumgully, the Generous - The wonderful world of Ferngully.
Prime Speaker Zegana - Draw Cards Tribal.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal & Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Imaginary Superfriends.
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Taxes, Denial and Fatties.
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - Dinos and Eldrazis, oh my.
Ayara, First of Locthwain - March of the Black Queen.
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh - Chandra Tribal.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Curious Contraptions

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Dumb with Aluren, but so are many generals. I think it is really cool. The stats are terrible.

There are a lot of ways to break it and draw your deck but I suspect many people will be playing this just for value.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

It's going to be more awkward to balance than people think and the activated ability is absurdly expensive to activate. Lots of ways to combo with it but lots of ways to drop your hand ramping into it and then have it die and get blown out.

The tension between mana creatures and this critter costing 5 and benefitting you having lots of lands in hand is also quite awkward.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

I think the CMC of the card is actually pretty fair, considering it's a draw-on-cast trigger. Aluren is the easiest way to break him in these colors and I think it opens up an interesting identity for Bant. It also helps to solidify certain ETB effects by giving yet another pseudo-blink effect that also creates a cast trigger, which is interesting

I'm a fan... and I wonder what the Grixis legend will be?

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Merged into New Card Discussion
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Arcane Signet is a great card and I'll run it in many, many decks going forward but I'm not really a fan of the design. I appreciate WotC making good mana fixing more accessible (depending on how budget friendly this actually is). I'm not a big fan of having more cards that are almost always best in class. I like having to weight costs and benefits for what goes into a list and this kind of printing reduces that.

Chulane is strong and boring. Another UGx legendary that staples value to game actions you were already likely to take.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

MRHblue

Post by MRHblue » 4 years ago

Yea Chulane, Teller of Tales just invalidates so many Bant Commanders with pure value. Not a 5 / 7

FoxOfWar
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoxOfWar » 4 years ago

...given that I was already considering combining my Prime Speaker Zegana and Arcades the Strategist decks into one bant-creature-spam deck, this was... uh, a very convenient spoiler. Spam creatures to spam creatures to spam creatures. Win probably with sheer critical mass of creature/card advantage... (Although limiting myself only to creatures and lands so as to not completely break stuff.)

I expect the guy to be kill-on-sight and really I can't complain about that.
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Arcane Signet looks amazing. There aren't many colored two mana rocks available for monocolor decks (pretty much just Charcoal Diamond cycle) so it looks great there. Two color decks get another option to go with their normal SIgnet and Talisman. And 3+ color decks get a rock that taps for all their colors, instead of just two. I'm currently playing Fellwar Stone in many of my decks, and this looks to be an almost strict upgrade.

Chulane is... interesting. Guardian Project and Beast Whisperer already exist at four mana, so this isn't particularly new, although being in the command zone is a significant upgrade. Getting to put in lands is new, and them being untapped is sort of concerning. The second ability compares unfavorably to Roon of the Hidden Realm, but also has the ability to target itself to protect from removal, which sounds very annoying. Overall, card looks very powerful - he provides card advantage, mana advantage, and can protect himself, which ticks all three of my boxes for 'is this a good commander'. Will be interesting to compare Chulane decks to Karametra, God of Harvests decks, at least.

Taleran

Post by Taleran » 4 years ago

As someone who keeps harping on that the power creep is coming from inside the house, this is a pretty good representation of that.

That being said 3 color Druid is cool

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

Gut reaction is that Chulane is the kind of general that will people try to build and play fairly, but will end up like Kaalia, Narset, Oloro, Zur and co. A bit too powerful to be fair and/or fly under the table, but not powerful enough to be banned.

Nothing against the card. Seems overall decent. Not sure if I would build or not though.

Fixed Prophet of Kruphix? /shrug
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

gilrad

Post by gilrad » 4 years ago

That self-bounce is spicy. My initial thoughts were, "well a five-mana build-around commander is just asking to be killed twice and then sit in the command zone forever." Then I saw that she can bounce herself, and now I agree that she'll get a lot of hate, mostly because if you don't she'll dominate the game.

So aside from haste and counterspell shenanigans, you basically have a short window after she's cast to deal with her, which means most players when they see her revealed in the command zone at the start of the game, will keep removal just for her. At least I hope so; there's probably going to be lots of thrown games where everybody focuses too much on their own board and she dominates two rounds later.

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 4 years ago

Chulane's ceiling will likely be lower than Derevi's, but his floor will be higher; he's a value machine that will be the new head for any generic goodstuff Bant deck. Giving a Growth Spiral per creature cast is already powerful enough, allowing you to get value despite counterspells or Torpor Orb effects. Tack on the ability to bounce your creatures to cast them again and vigilance so you don't have to decide between attacking or using the bounce ability and you have a very pushed design. It feels like whoever designed this card didn't know where to stop.

The above probably sounds fairly alarmist, but I don't mean it be. There's just a lot happening on one card, which usually indicates something busted may happen. I'm still very interested to see what people do with him; if there'll be some middle ground between infinite combos and just jamming him in the command zone for value.
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

I'm a little bit disappointed. I have to admit that I dislike hyper-specific Generals, which are clear linear builds - but I also dislike those that are straight up too vague. This one just leans very hard into the bant goodstuff color pie.

I could easily just rebuild my old Jenara deck, slot this in the Command zone, and just be good to go. I could even just swap my Roon deck with him, and be fine... and that's a voltron deck.

It looks like a powerful ability, but a high cost... just... uninspiring.

schweinefett

Post by schweinefett » 4 years ago

Equilibrium and that guy seems good, especially if you're already gonna go with aluren.

It's legends like this that move me away from playing green in edh. Like really? It's so uninspiring and boring, just valuetown all the way. I wanna see something that's beyond just draw cards and mana ramping.

75chan
Shoegaze ♥

Post by 75chan » 4 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
Arcane Signet is a great card and I'll run it in many, many decks going forward but I'm not really a fan of the design. I appreciate WotC making good mana fixing more accessible (depending on how budget friendly this actually is). I'm not a big fan of having more cards that are almost always best in class. I like having to weight costs and benefits for what goes into a list and this kind of printing reduces that.
I mostly agree. That being said, if there's one type of card where I'm okay with there being best-in-class options that are budget friendly, it's mana-fixing cards. That being said, i don't think it's an autoinclude in green decks, which have the options of land-based and dork-based ramp/fixing whenever it fits the deck better.
I swap decks a lot
wr Avacyn with defensive blinking
ur OG Jhoira spellslinger without MLD or eldrazi
and some other stuff that are more or less messy

Best card

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

Morganelefay wrote:
4 years ago
*sigh* I'm annoyed by the amount of breakable commanders WotC is printing - especially in Precons.

Printing powerhouses in Precons is taming format beginners to an absurd power level. It may be an anecdotal sentiment of mine, but i know plenty of players that have been playing EDH since forever that are already lamenting a lack of casual decks in LGSs and playgroups. If i were in charge i'd print less powerful, "fair" and flavorful commanders in Precons, that satisfy different needs of players but increase the card quality in those decks. Regulars would want to grab the singles regardless of the commanders and newbies could enter the world of "build casually, play competitively" without an instant sense of needing to upgrade their deck to accommodate those levels of play. I'd love incentives that have players enter at a level that's closer to what was intended, when the format was in it's baby shoes.
There's no need to stop printing strong legends either, just put them in sublemental sets, where players, that are into them, find them nonetheless.

Sorry for the rant, but over the last few sets i became further disappointed with the cards printed as commander options.

Sanity_Eclipse

Naya Populate, Rakdos Madness, Jeskai Flashback, Sultai Morph confirmed. Ghired seems strong, Anje Falkenrath seems a bit meh, Sevinne also seems strong, as does Kadena.
Quickly Elaborating on Them
Show
Hide
Blink Ghired, give him haste, slow building army of 4/4 trampling Rhinos.

Anje comes down cheap and fast as a legendary Mad Prophet kinda creature, and lets you untap her when you discard Madness cards.

Sevinne doesn't die from damage and copies the first spell you cast from your graveyard each turn.

Kadena cheapens your first morph every turn by 3, and draws you a card for face-down creatures entering your battlefield.
Quoting the Preview Thread
Show
Hide
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Theme leak confirmed legit, Ethan Fleischer back on lead design.

"Image" "Image" "Image" "Image" "Image" "Image" "Image" "Image"

Sol Ring in every deck (not big surprise), one planeswalker reprint per deck, Seedborn Muse reprint
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Anje's awesome, mind you. Get a nice madness chain going and you'll be in serious value town. However, you're stuck with a 40-deep madness card pool at present, including such future EDH staples as Weirded Vampire. I'm pretty sure this one's gonna rely super hard on the new cards they print. And that they must, if this thing's to stand a chance against the other precons. The populate one comes with a promise of the tokens being no less lardy than 3/3.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Sanity_Eclipse

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Anje's awesome, mind you. Get a nice madness chain going and you'll be in serious value town. However, you're stuck with a 40-deep madness card pool at present, including such future EDH staples as Weirded Vampire. I'm pretty sure this one's gonna rely super hard on the new cards they print. And that they must, if this thing's to stand a chance against the other precons. The populate one comes with a promise of the tokens being no less lardy than 3/3.
Maybe she could be an engine for Reanimator or something else like that, but yeah, that deck is gonna rely on the new Madness cards.

None of the reveals in terms of Generals have been bad, but nothing's grabbed my attention too much yet. Here's hoping on the secondaries.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I hear ya. These guys are all rather "new school" - take a basic gameplay idea, ram copying or draw as payoff, print it. The crappier the mechanic (cough madness cough), the more dramatic the bribing. I'm the most excited I've been since C16, but that's not saying much. Hopefully some secondaries are gloriously weird.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

I like the red populate card. Serious potential there.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I hear ya. These guys are all rather "new school" - take a basic gameplay idea, ram copying or draw as payoff, print it. The crappier the mechanic (cough madness cough), the more dramatic the bribing. I'm the most excited I've been since C16, but that's not saying much. Hopefully some secondaries are gloriously weird.
All hail weird!

Just a reminder, Anje's ability doesn't require you to pay/cast the madness card you discarded. Long as you discard a card with madness, you can untap her. There might actually be a combo involving this untapping?

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Yeah. I'm not SUPER psyched on any of these at present. The sultai, Kadena, looks cool, but I was never overly sold on the mechanics so based on these it'll take some convincing spoilers for me to grab any of these. The strongest as it seems to me will likely be the impervious Jeskai flashback general, purely because it's a strong mechanic with some existing value, and Jeskai is good at going off pretty quickly.

Honestly I was hoping for cooler things than these, but that's fine. So long as we don't see anything as boring as Yarok the Desecrated I'm ok. Initially I thought it was fine, but playing a couple of games against it the deck is predictable and frankly a bit ridiculous. So I guess at least these new ones are playing with corners that haven't been overly explored thus far.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”