[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

cryogen
GΘΔ†
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
I wish I could work from home. I'm a community pharmacist and...I'll just say that people are all over the place. People think I'm going to give them their Adderall and oxycodone early because of the pandemic. I'm getting constant questions about hydroxychloroquine, masks, thermometers, etc. My wife and daughter are going stir crazy because they're doing exactly what they're supposed to do by staying home, then I see entire families wandering the store without masks, with no regard for staying six feet apart.

New rules go into place in my county tomorrow. Basically, if you're out and about, working or not, you have to wear a mask. Also, public places (like my store) will only be allowed to have a certain number of people in the store at a time. You'll be turned away if you don't have a mask. It's gonna be a %$#%. Luckily, it's my day off.

Since I'm essential, I haven't been able to organize my collection or do anything cool when it comes to MtG, other than post on Nexus. Actually, I have been obsessing over my Lord of Tresserhorn deck. Maybe I'm trying to do too many things, but every time I try to streamline it, I can't make any damn cuts! I've actually made a lot of changes to the list, but even goldfishing it I can tell it's not quite there.

Well that was an unusually long post for me...

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
I've been pretty impressed with the way Hogan has been handling this. I also see everyone out an about sans mask up here, but that's par for the course in Carroll County.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
I wish I could work from home. I'm a community pharmacist and...I'll just say that people are all over the place. People think I'm going to give them their Adderall and oxycodone early because of the pandemic. I'm getting constant questions about hydroxychloroquine, masks, thermometers, etc. My wife and daughter are going stir crazy because they're doing exactly what they're supposed to do by staying home, then I see entire families wandering the store without masks, with no regard for staying six feet apart.

New rules go into place in my county tomorrow. Basically, if you're out and about, working or not, you have to wear a mask. Also, public places (like my store) will only be allowed to have a certain number of people in the store at a time. You'll be turned away if you don't have a mask. It's gonna be a %$#%. Luckily, it's my day off.

Since I'm essential, I haven't been able to organize my collection or do anything cool when it comes to MtG, other than post on Nexus. Actually, I have been obsessing over my Lord of Tresserhorn deck. Maybe I'm trying to do too many things, but every time I try to streamline it, I can't make any damn cuts! I've actually made a lot of changes to the list, but even goldfishing it I can tell it's not quite there.

I've been pretty impressed with the way Hogan has been handling this. I also see everyone out an about sans mask up here, but that's par for the course in Carroll County.
Same. I generally vote pretty blue, but Hogan has been doing pretty much everything right, not to mention decisively.

@tstorm823: Having to constantly assume the role of narcotic police is exhausting. Dealing with pandemic-related paranoia and hysteria is like nothing I've ever experienced professionally.

@toctheyounger: Your health minister sounds like a real gem. I'm not sure why so many of our leaders ignore the value of leading by example. I'll get the Lord of Tresserhorn deck posted soon. I've actually never submitted a deck for assistance before. I always think the ugliest, reddit-est part of the internet will come and crap all over it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

cryogen
GΘΔ†

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago

Same. I generally vote pretty blue, but Hogan has been doing pretty much everything right, not to mention decisively.

tstorm823: Having to constantly assume the role of narcotic police is exhausting. Dealing with pandemic-related paranoia and hysteria is like nothing I've ever experienced professionally.

toctheyounger: Your health minister sounds like a real gem. I'm not sure why so many of our leaders ignore the value of leading by example. I'll get the Lord of Tresserhorn deck posted soon. I've actually never submitted a deck for assistance before. I always think the ugliest, reddit-est part of the internet will come and crap all over it.
Agreed. I'll never vote for him or another Republican ever again (years ago I was not as rigid in my voting patterns), but after seeing the foot-stomping and breath-holding for 8 years followed by... this... I'll toe the party line when it counts.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

I just came here to say how awful it is that so many workplaces INSIST on having the radio on all day. My introverted self would prefer silence, thanks. That's all.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
I just came here to say how awful it is that so many workplaces INSIST on having the radio on all day. My introverted self would prefer silence, thanks. That's all.
I'm extroverted and have long despised radio at work or malls, stores, restaurants, etc. Yes don't want to hear one hip hop pop song after the next at Walmart. It isn't a dance club. When I did retail arbitrage for a second income, I wore the best noise cancelling ear "muffs" you can buy over top of earbuds. It was heaven.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
I used to play in a band and did a lot of live shows. So I'm naturally an introvert, but at shows I'd have a beer or five and turn into an extrovert and never be able to talk to the friends who came to see my shows because of this tendency of bars to play set break music ridiculously loudly. Every damn bar I went to would crank up the music in between songs so people couldn't even hear themselves think. Absolutely the worst part, worse than hauling gear.

Frankly I don't think anyone likes having a high level of background noise especially not something with words that disrupts concentration. And if they do they can put some damn headphones on :)

I am sure there is some commercial reason why the practice persists but I can't stand it.

MeowZeDung

My workplace isn't open to the public, the radio is just for employees. I think half of us just hate it though. 50% ads 50% music we wouldn't listen to on our own.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
My workplace isn't open to the public, the radio is just for employees. I think half of us just hate it though. 50% ads 50% music we wouldn't listen to on our own.
I'm sure you've complained?:P

I was pretty surprised at my old office but the facilities people were super accessible and welcomed ideas/criticism.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Ordinarily much the same. My tastes generally don't lie with radio-friendly stuff, or at least stuff that most people want to hear on the radio anyway. Varied, but often weird and off the beaten track.

That being said, my workplace is also closed to the public, and we're in a small team of 3. We have the radio on an oldies station (50's-70's) and it gets me going, surprisingly. I never realised how much I like Neil Diamond, Elton John, CCR, Motown, even a few Elvis cuts. My absolute favourite to bop to at work though is Reet Petite by Jackie Brown. It just swings so good.

But yeah, I feel sorry for anyone who's subjected to top 40's radio. It's garbage.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Right now I only have one other employee in the pharmacy. I put NPR on most of the day. I love NPR. It feels like I'm feeding my brain.

Anyway, I was goldfishing my perpetual work in progress Lord of Tresserhorn deck, when I noticed these two in my hand looking like they were about to activate their wonder twin powers:

Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

I don't mind the music at my wal-mart, i mostly tune it out anyway. It's mostly stuff from last century (90s) haha
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

MeowZeDung

I don't mind store music really, since I'm only in there for a bit and the volume is moderate. I just dislike it at my job where it's pretty dang loud and it's 10 hours solid of radio ads and poop-soup music. We've asked for a volume adjustment before and been shot down. I get it, they're trying to appease the "I need music to retain my sanity and productivity throughout the day" crowd, but I don't know that it's worth it overall. They do allow us to have one earbud in, which usually lets me go off to la-la land in my podcasts and audiobooks, but yesterday I just couldn't tune out the radio :crazy:

MeowZeDung

Well, poo. I just now saw that WotC announced the C20 product might be delayed and I'm seeing prices go up just about everywhere on them. I haven't pre-ordered yet because I *should* have a new address in a week, but that's not 100% certain yet, so I don't want to put the wrong address in the shipping either way. I sure hope the set of 5 decks isn't outrageously priced in another week.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Right now I only have one other employee in the pharmacy. I put NPR on most of the day. I love NPR. It feels like I'm feeding my brain.

Anyway, I was goldfishing my perpetual work in progress Lord of Tresserhorn deck, when I noticed these two in my hand looking like they were about to activate their wonder twin powers:

Form of! An ice ladder!

cryogen
GΘΔ†

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Well, poo. I just now saw that WotC announced the C20 product might be delayed and I'm seeing prices go up just about everywhere on them. I haven't pre-ordered yet because I *should* have a new address in a week, but that's not 100% certain yet, so I don't want to put the wrong address in the shipping either way. I sure hope the set of 5 decks isn't outrageously priced in another week.
My LGS was worried they wouldn't even get Ikoria because they heard some distributors weren't, but looks like they're good now. Still don't know what is happening with C20 but I have one case reserved for me, so fingers crossed.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

Friday fun fact : Benjamin Franklin once wrote a letter to a friend who was struggling with his sexual urges called 'Advice to a Young Man on the Choice of a Mistress', in which he recommended finding an older lover.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Still don't know what is happening with C20
I read it was because not all of the usual printers are open or at normal capacity, so it's just not being printed at a much slower pace.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

MeowZeDung

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Still don't know what is happening with C20
I read it was because not all of the usual printers are open or at normal capacity, so it's just not being printed at a much slower pace.
Yeah, can't really fault anyone including WotC this time around. It's just a bummer because I was hoping to avoid the inevitable price spike by preordering asap. Ah well. I just ordered since I doubt the prices will ever go down. I'll just deal with my shipping address issue when/if that happens, which is what I should have done to begin with. I'll still be getting good value by selling off singles I don't want or have copies of already. I'm sure some of the foil commanders I have 0 interest in keeping will increase in value with some time and fetch a pretty penny.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

If you don't follow him on Twitter or Facebook, you may not have seen the announcement Sheldon made that tomorrow the RC and friends will be spending the day on Olivia Gobert-Hicks' Twitch stream playing games and chatting with "Commander luminaries" from noon until midnight. I'm pretty stoked that he invited me to join him, so if you want to pop in at any point during the day, I'll be playing at 6pm.

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 3 years ago

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
I'm pretty stoked that he invited me to join him
Hey, that's pretty cool. I was planning on putting it on in the background while I work. I hope you have fun playing. Kinda makes me wish I had the initiative and wherewithal to put together a setup for playing online. I have some pieces, or did anyway.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
If you don't follow him on Twitter or Facebook, you may not have seen the announcement Sheldon made that tomorrow the RC and friends will be spending the day on Olivia Gobert-Hicks' Twitch stream playing games and chatting with "Commander luminaries" from noon until midnight. I'm pretty stoked that he invited me to join him, so if you want to pop in at any point during the day, I'll be playing at 6pm.

I did wonder if you'd get an invite, that's pretty cool!
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Segrus wrote:
3 years ago
cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
I'm pretty stoked that he invited me to join him
Hey, that's pretty cool. I was planning on putting it on in the background while I work. I hope you have fun playing. Kinda makes me wish I had the initiative and wherewithal to put together a setup for playing online. I have some pieces, or did anyway.
When I played with cryo I literally put a laptop in a dresser drawer and put my deck below it.
the set up looked like this:

_______
| |
| |
| |
|
|___________

so If I can find a way so can you!
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 3 years ago

Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Segrus wrote:
3 years ago
When I played with cryo I literally put a laptop in a dresser drawer and put my deck below it.
the set up looked like this:

_______
| |
| |
| |
|
|___________

so If I can find a way so can you!
My laptop camera is kinda...bad...and I honestly don't have adequate lighting currently. They may not be deal breakers entirely, but it bugs me enough to not want to use it.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
How has everyone been doing? Hopefully y'all are staying safe if/when you have to go out into public, and finding productive ways to pass the time while stuck at home.
Glad to hear that most of you are doing fine! Fingers crossed for all your (current and upcoming) loved ones. :)

As for the current crisis i'm hestitant to say. Germany has been coping very well overall and my city was the first one in the country to go on pre-emptive lockdown, but today is the first day of a few limitations lifted - and my gut tells me its too early for that. Not as in the US but i feel like too many people are impatient and don't see us risking the otherwise stable situation. I'm just hopeful we're going to do fine.

Personally i went through a sketchy phase in the beginning because my subconciousness kicked in hard, relating the current events to a phase in my life when i isolated "voluntarily" due to mental health issues. Thank god that's in the past and it only took me 1-2 weeks to get a hang of it. For the last month or so i've been doing fine. Aside from walks around a nearby lake i leave the house only twice a week and spend the rest of it with my roomies.
My Pen & Paper groups quickly made the switch to digital setups and i'm playing cubes on Xmage regularily with my playgroup. We rarely play EDH for now, but that'll change again, i'm sure. We draft a lot of cubes and i enjoy it a lot. I have exactly 0 interest in paper MTG right now. Ikoria is as far from what i enjoy as i can imagine and i won't do much work on my paper EDH lists until we're getting closer to being able to sit at the same table again.
Instead, I'm planning a summer/quarantine project of restoring and modernizing a late 90ies or early 2000 mountain bike. My budget will be rather slim for the upcoming months and i don't have all tools for a complete rebuild, so i'll have to be sure what to start with. Might as well post a picture on here once i get started.

Anyhow, everyone stay stable, patient and most of all - healthy!

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 3 years ago

They shut down the breakroom at my work, which means no coffee. 😭

At least pretty much everyone else in the company is working from home, so I'm less at risk.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”