[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

I could never muster the patience for minis or anything requiring small, precise, careful movements. Good on you for that.

I've been getting lots of yardwork done. Playing with the kids - I taught my 8yo some tricks of the trade on his bike and now he's addicted to riding it - and packing for a move into a new place *hopefully* late this month. Crazy time to close on a house, but we made the offer and contract right before everything went nuts in the states. My work hours are real spotty, but as of now everything checks out with the mortgage company with regard to my employment status, and even if my company did take action it would almost surely be a temporary layoff rather than being let go. Heaven forbid either should happen.

Other than that, I've been spending WAY too much time on this site and scryfall and flipping through my collection and organizing cards. The new sets are some of the most exciting in a while IMO.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I've seriously gotten my magic cards more organized than they ever have been. Only some bits and pieces of the 2019 commander decks to go through, and a few brawl decks.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
I could never muster the patience for minis or anything requiring small, precise, careful movements. Good on you for that.
I honestly tend to skip all of the small bits,like any tiny handles that go on turrents etc,I'll try to get better pictures of the Matilda, but in the meantime here's my next build
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I've seriously gotten my magic cards more organized than they ever have been. Only some bits and pieces of the 2019 commander decks to go through, and a few brawl decks.
It's such a chore.

I have a chest of drawers that happens to perfectly fit a 4 row box and a 2 row box next to each other (since I couldn't actually find a 6 row box...) which I essentially use as a drawer insert for the top two drawers. It's where I keep anything under $5 or so, with the rest of the drawers being used for fatpack boxes, sleeves, deck boxes, play mats, etc. Anything valuable goes into my binder, which is a 4x4 zipper affair. Everything in the drawers is sorted by colour, alphabetically, and stored in penny sleeves with same cards. The binder is just by colour, because it would be a pain to move things around when adding/removing stuff.

Over the last couple years I got very, very lax in terms of putting things away as I got new cards, pulled various things for decks, etc., and things just ended up in piles on top of the shelf and on my desk. A couple months ago I decided I was finally sick of it. Took me about 16 hours, spread out over 3 days, to go through everything, decide what I was keeping, figure out if it went to binder or drawers, and then get all the drawer stuff sorted and into the penny sleeves.

... I still haven't done the binder stuff. It's in a sorting tray, in a cubby in my desk.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
How has everyone been doing? Hopefully y'all are staying safe if/when you have to go out into public, and finding productive ways to pass the time while stuck at home.
Well, I'm working through (remotely). I'm fervently hoping that at some point the work dips to a level I could possibly get a game in, but it's pretty volatile work so who knows. Meantime, I'm at least a little disappointed in the fare from Ikoria/C20, it just isn't me for some reason.

Other than that, doing a wee bit of video gaming (Divinity Original Sin 2 for the 4th time through is the play at the moment, it's such a clever game) and prepping for the first child. He's due 4th May, I'm certain he will be early though. Weird time to give birth, so we're both a bit nervous about protocols in the hospital, as well as just normal labour concerns. I'm sure we will be fine.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
How has everyone been doing? Hopefully y'all are staying safe if/when you have to go out into public, and finding productive ways to pass the time while stuck at home.
Well, I'm working through (remotely). I'm fervently hoping that at some point the work dips to a level I could possibly get a game in, but it's pretty volatile work so who knows. Meantime, I'm at least a little disappointed in the fare from Ikoria/C20, it just isn't me for some reason.

Other than that, doing a wee bit of video gaming (Divinity Original Sin 2 for the 4th time through is the play at the moment, it's such a clever game) and prepping for the first child. He's due 4th May, I'm certain he will be early though. Weird time to give birth, so we're both a bit nervous about protocols in the hospital, as well as just normal labour concerns. I'm sure we will be fine.
Overall all I wish is that everything goes well with his birth and first few months during this pandemic, but I'll be rooting for a Star Wars baby.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

I'm actually working harder than before during this. I work for a business that primarily supports other business. Our customers include things like food/hospitals/energy sector stuff, so we're pretty well justified in being essential. But half our customers aren't, and people can currently make basically full salary on unemployment, so instead of cutting hours we furloughed down, and I remained as basically 4 different roles. It's gonna be a wild rest of April.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
I'm actually working harder than before during this. I work for a business that primarily supports other business. Our customers include things like food/hospitals/energy sector stuff, so we're pretty well justified in being essential. But half our customers aren't, and people can currently make basically full salary on unemployment, so instead of cutting hours we furloughed down, and I remained as basically 4 different roles. It's gonna be a wild rest of April.
This kind of thing makes me mad. Unemployment benefits aren't supposed to be an alternative, they are supposed to be a stop-gap so you can survive for a short period of time without instantly bankrupting you or something else catastrophic if you lose your job.

And I'm not actually mad that your coworkers are able to make their full salary while on unemployment, I'm mad that your employer is essential and not paying their employees accordingly. (I'm making assumptions here, because Maryland unemployment works out to at best roughly $10/hour). It also sucks that you're stuck picking up the slack and I hope you are fairly paid for this.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
This kind of thing makes me mad. Unemployment benefits aren't supposed to be an alternative, they are supposed to be a stop-gap so you can survive for a short period of time without instantly bankrupting you or something else catastrophic if you lose your job.

And I'm not actually mad that your coworkers are able to make their full salary while on unemployment, I'm mad that your employer is essential and not paying their employees accordingly. (I'm making assumptions here, because Maryland unemployment works out to at best roughly $10/hour). It also sucks that you're stuck picking up the slack and I hope you are fairly paid for this.
Oh, I'm good. My employer has been very forward and honest about the ongoing situation. Early on, the furlough was voluntary. It was "we know people are scared of the virus, we know the government is going to put their extra benefits through the unemployment program, anyone who wants to not be here (especially higher risk people) is welcome to take that option." Now it's not voluntary for some people, but we're getting weekly updates with the company's financial info that we wouldn't normally see and the promise that we'll get people back in here are soon as we can. It's not a huge company, and they're doing their best.

Most of my increased workload was actually arranged months before covid-19 was even a thing, I have to cover for a coworker on maternity leave until mid-May no matter what, so by sheer coincidence we had already figured that out in advance.

ZenN

My wife and I are both lucky enough to be in work that allows us to be completely remote, so we're able to do our jobs from home without problem (and in fact already did once a week or so before this all started). Well, mostly without problem. We're working from different rooms of the house so as to not drive each other crazy.

But I feel you on the increased workload. I work on software primarily used in the healthcare and manufacturing industries, around automation for scheduling software. The need for this stuff has increased during all this, so we've had a recent surge in sales, which means a lot of extra work. On top of that our DBA decided he's leaving at the end of the month, and we (I) need to migrate our source control to another host because they're dropping support for the VCS we use at the end of May. Good times.
Commander

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

I'm having an existential deck building crisis. There's too much cute and not nearly enough room for me to build decks for it all.

Airi
Queen of Salt

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
Build more decks. :P
I just added two and am trying to figure out how to add two more :sweat:

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

ZenN wrote:
4 years ago
and we (I) need to migrate our source control to another host because they're dropping support for the VCS we use at the end of May. Good times.
Atlassian's dropping of Mercurial from Bitbucket? Yeah, that's a pain.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

toctheyounger

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Overall all I wish is that everything goes well with his birth and first few months during this pandemic, but I'll be rooting for a Star Wars baby.
You're not alone, there's a few nerds in the family. Don't count on a Star Wars name though, we've got a couple of possibles with some nerd reference, but they have nothing to do with that universe.
Airi wrote:
4 years ago
I'm having an existential deck building crisis. There's too much cute and not nearly enough room for me to build decks for it all.
I'm really the opposite here. I want to get into the vibe of IKO, but there's really nothing calling to me like I'd like. Mutate seems fun but not pushed which is perfect for me, but I'm just not seeing anything that I really want to build. This set is right down my wife's alley, she loves giant creatures, cats, dinosaurs and such so she will be in heaven. I just can't see anything that hits the midrange/control sweet spot I strive for.

Airi
Queen of Salt

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I'm really the opposite here. I want to get into the vibe of IKO, but there's really nothing calling to me like I'd like. Mutate seems fun but not pushed which is perfect for me, but I'm just not seeing anything that I really want to build. This set is right down my wife's alley, she loves giant creatures, cats, dinosaurs and such so she will be in heaven. I just can't see anything that hits the midrange/control sweet spot I strive for.
I just want to build all of the cute animals. Or at least find homes for them! So far, I've found a spot for the six I'd wanted other than Yorion and Kaheera (Tayam and Otrimi as decks, Lurrus and Zirda in the 99).

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

I made a thing. (Well, two things actually, I did a test run first, then made this one).

"Image"

It's still not 100% right, my straps are too low and won't go over the ears, but it's still very secure and well fitted despite that. Using a pipe cleaner (folded in 3), on the bridge of the nose too for a form fit there. This one correctly has the pocket for a filter in it though, my first attempt I accidentally sewed the pocket shut.

Pattern from here, the video helps a lot:
https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

Thanks to my mom for teaching me how to use her sewing machine over a video call. Now I have an even better idea of how they must feel when I try to give tech support over the phone. :p
Last edited by bobthefunny 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

toctheyounger

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I just want to build all of the cute animals. Or at least find homes for them! So far, I've found a spot for the six I'd wanted other than Yorion and Kaheera (Tayam and Otrimi as decks, Lurrus and Zirda in the 99).
Otrimi is totes adorbs, not gonna lie. Sadly all of my theme decks are pretty specific and there's not much here for them (maaaybe some of the weirder nightmares fit in High House Shadow, but it's a stretch). I kind of like Tayam, Luminous Enigma as somewhere between Karador, Ghost Chieftain and Meren, I'm just worried if I build it it's going to be too easy to bust. Still, that art reminds me of the spirit beasts from Princess Mononoke and that's kind of cool.
Last edited by toctheyounger 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Airi
Queen of Salt

Right? Like a cross between the Cheshire Cat and Toothless.

toctheyounger

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
Right? Like a cross between the Cheshire Cat and Toothless.
Can absolutely see how it calls to you.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

I wish I could work from home. I'm a community pharmacist and...I'll just say that people are all over the place. People think I'm going to give them their Adderall and oxycodone early because of the pandemic. I'm getting constant questions about hydroxychloroquine, masks, thermometers, etc. My wife and daughter are going stir crazy because they're doing exactly what they're supposed to do by staying home, then I see entire families wandering the store without masks, with no regard for staying six feet apart.

New rules go into place in my county tomorrow. Basically, if you're out and about, working or not, you have to wear a mask. Also, public places (like my store) will only be allowed to have a certain number of people in the store at a time. You'll be turned away if you don't have a mask. It's gonna be a %$#%. Luckily, it's my day off.

Since I'm essential, I haven't been able to organize my collection or do anything cool when it comes to MtG, other than post on Nexus. Actually, I have been obsessing over my Lord of Tresserhorn deck. Maybe I'm trying to do too many things, but every time I try to streamline it, I can't make any damn cuts! I've actually made a lot of changes to the list, but even goldfishing it I can tell it's not quite there.

Well that was an unusually long post for me...

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Last edited by RxPhantom 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

ZenN

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
ZenN wrote:
4 years ago
and we (I) need to migrate our source control to another host because they're dropping support for the VCS we use at the end of May. Good times.
%$#% right it is. Git is such utter trash and it makes me sad that it's taking over. We're moving our stuff over to Helix TeamHub. Which is still a bit of a pain, because we use JIRA and Confluence, too. Oh well. Rather have a slightly less useful JIRA integration than try to move my whole environment and team (including some old devs who are very change averse...) to Git.
Commander

toctheyounger

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
I wish I could work from home. I'm a community pharmacist and...I'll just say that people are all over the place. People think I'm going to give them their Adderall and oxycodone early because of the pandemic. I'm getting constant questions about hydroxychloroquine, masks, thermometers, etc. My wife and daughter are going stir crazy because they're doing exactly what they're supposed to do by staying home, then I see entire families wandering the store without masks, with no regard for staying six feet apart.

New rules go into place in my county tomorrow. Basically, if you're out and about, working or not, you have to wear a mask. Also, public places (like my store) will only be allowed to have a certain number of people in the store at a time. You'll be turned away if you don't have a mask. It's gonna be a %$#%. Luckily, it's my day off.

Since I'm essential, I haven't been able to organize my collection or do anything cool when it comes to MtG, other than post on Nexus. Actually, I have been obsessing over my Lord of Tresserhorn. Maybe I'm trying to do too many things, but every time I try to streamline it, I can't make any damn cuts! I've actually made a lot of changes to the list, but even goldfishing it I can tell it's not quite there.

Well that was an unusually long post for me...

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
I'm in NZ - mostly our country has coped exceptionally well. We've had 9 deaths so far, all of them geriatrics. But yeah, the compliance for self isolation has been mixed - most of the country thinks our lockdown has been very well managed, but you can't legislate for idiots. Literally our Minister of Health was caught doing a mountain bike ride kilometres from home, and then a week later taking his family to the beach. He still has his job, but only for the duration of the crisis. The leader of the opposition did similar, and neither one is well thought of at present.

I can only imagine the sheer hysteria you're facing, that must be super tough. And I can relate to not having a ton of time to sink into hobbies, as I book oncology appointments. We can't stop treating or people die regardless.

I looked for your Lord of Tresserhorn list on the database and couldn't see it. Post a list for us, we're here to help make it easier to streamline things. Doesn't have to be pretty - as long as there's a list of 100 we can help streamline your time streamlining :)

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

ZenN wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
ZenN wrote:
4 years ago
%$#% right it is. Git is such utter trash and it makes me sad that it's taking over. We're moving our stuff over to Helix TeamHub. Which is still a bit of a pain, because we use JIRA and Confluence, too. Oh well. Rather have a slightly less useful JIRA integration than try to move my whole environment and team (including some old devs who are very change averse...) to Git.
Well, I started using Mercurial at one job were no source control was used at first. Learned Git at the next job. Can't say I agree with the trash part but I also don't have to delve into more than the common functions. At the present job we're using TFS and they're planning to move to Git, so that'll be a vast improvement.

For the sake of perspective, since I haven't followed Mercurial's progress for a few years now, what makes Git trash to you?
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
I'm from a family pharmacy family, and they have somehow managed to get their town to operate based on curbside service. Which I think is pretty impressive.

Also, I've personally witnessed people's ability to turn any situation into a request for the pharmacist to break the law and lose their license, so I felt that comment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”