pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Did I miss the RUG ultimatum?

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

Splendid is where they all should have been. It'll get some play in decks that want it, but isn't an auto-run in its colors and won't make casual tables miserable until they local-ban it. It's a serious haymaker in Narset or Jodah, and isn't bad by any means when you cast it fairly. The incidental lifegain is gravy, like all incidental lifegain, and sometimes it'll matter, particularly for the sort of controlling spellslinger decks that will be interested by it. It's like how no-one runs Sphinx's Rev for the life, but it can be a little blessing when it helps you stabilize against aggression.
Last edited by BeneTleilax 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken

BeneTleilax wrote:
4 years ago
Splendid is where they all should have been. It'll get some play in decks that want it, but isn't an auto-run in its colors and won't make casual tables miserable until they local-ban it. It's a serious haymaker in Narset or Jodah, and isn't bad by any means when you cast it fairly.
I don't see a lot of people paying 7 mana to draw 5 cards at sorcery speed. The 5 life/5 damage really does not scale well.

As an instant it sees fringe play as a sorcery it sees almost no play.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

I don't play jeskai so I can resolve 7 mana spells anyhow, to be honest. It's not really what the wedge wants to do except in certain conditions.

Trust me, I'm ecstatic with the trade-off of "you get a crap ultimatum... But here's whirlwind of thought."

I agree with @tstorm823: looking for ways to keep all this card draw from killing me will be a joy and a pleasure.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

There's some noise that the translation on Splendid Ultimatum might be off, and that it says something along the lines of "Deal 5 damage to up to one creature, up to one planeswalker, and up to one player". Definitely adds some upside to it, on top of drawing the 5 cards.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I don't see a lot of people paying 7 mana to draw 5 cards at sorcery speed. The 5 life/5 damage really does not scale well.

As an instant it sees fringe play as a sorcery it sees almost no play.
Oh good call. I was rationalizing it as an instant and it really isn't. It's a spell with 3 effects that are all twice as good at instant speed, and it isn't instant speed. That's pretty lame.

It's ok, I'll hold out for them to make wedge commands someday.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
I don't play jeskai so I can resolve 7 mana spells anyhow, to be honest. It's not really what the wedge wants to do except in certain conditions.

Trust me, I'm ecstatic with the trade-off of "you get a crap ultimatum... But here's whirlwind of thought."

I agree with tstorm823: looking for ways to keep all this card draw from killing me will be a joy and a pleasure.
Kykar is getting all the toys. Thank you for opening my eyes to the spellslinging, bird-monk life. Definitely one of my favorite to play.

pokken

Hey it's the set's red wall of text

Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Rorseph » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I don't exactly know where it goes, but I want to play this card. Maybe an Astral Slide deck? In any event, I absolutely love this card.
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

Post by Kavu Enthusiast » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago

Well I suppose it's a good thing that discarding from Cycling is part of the cost or this would pair with Library of Leng to just let you cast spells for their cycling cost.
Last edited by Kavu Enthusiast 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

Free spells aren't bad. It's jank, but it's the sort of jank I love to play and play against. And hey, everyone will remember the time Gavi hit a Decree off this out of nowhere.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Kavu Enthusiast wrote:
4 years ago
Well I suppose it's a good thing that discarding from Cycling is part of the cost of this would pair with Library of Leng to just let you cast spells for their cycling cost.
Library of leng doesn't let you put cards on top which you discarded as a cost.

smh I know I'm gonna see people trying to pull this stuff off at my LGS...
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Kavu Enthusiast wrote:
4 years ago
Well I suppose it's a good thing that discarding from Cycling is part of the cost of this would pair with Library of Leng to just let you cast spells for their cycling cost.
Library of leng doesn't let you put cards on top which you discarded as a cost.

smh I know I'm gonna see people trying to pull this stuff off at my LGS...
The grammar's a little weird, but that's what they were saying: That it's a good thing it's a cost, otherwise people would combo the two.

DirkGently

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
The grammar's a little weird, but that's what they were saying: That it's a good thing it's a cost, otherwise people would combo the two.
Lol, either it got edited between when I read it and pressed "quote"...or I'm just tired and stupid.

In my defense it is 4am. Please spoil the azorius partner so I can sleep wotc.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

MeowZeDung

kirkusjones wrote:
4 years ago
Kykar is getting all the toys. Thank you for opening my eyes to the spellslinging, bird-monk life. Definitely one of my favorite to play.
Oh yeeeeeeeah! Now I know what @pokken and the other ephara players felt like during theros spoilers.
Rorseph wrote:
4 years ago
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I don't exactly know where it goes, but I want to play this card. Maybe an Astral Slide deck? In any event, I absolutely love this card.
It's going straight in my Bruse/Kraum beast tribal etb combo cycling deck (yes, you read that correctly).

pokken

Ok, that I like a lot. Dig deep without tutoring, decent body. I could see making that work.

Oh, non-human triggers to find humans, wow. That's interesting. Man.

Feels very powerful with tokens and such, and you get tons of triggers. Maybe human tribal but make non-human tokens?

Interesting build questions are asked here.

To hit reliably on 6 you need to be running around 35+ humans roughly (iirc).

There's a pretty good subset of decent human critters that don't make human tokens, and spells of course. Spicers, etc.

Young Peezy makes elemental tokens too. Doomed artisan.

And of course it's bonkers as hell in the 99 of najeela, the blade-blossom

DirkGently

Weirdly I kinda like kinnan on first blush. I suspect he might be busted AF though.

The only thing I really don't like design-wise is the "nonhuman" part. Like...who the hell was going to pick a human anyway? The only creatures in this deck are obviously mana dorks (almost all elves) and giant bombs (also not human). I guess it's just for the flavor of the set but...it's stupid. I don't like it.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

MeowZeDung

Re: Winota, Human creatures with non human tokens was right where my head went too. Pyromancer, mentor, divine visitation, etc

pokken

-- that is a deck alright. Your dorks tap for double. It's a bummer bloom tender only taps for (4*) 3 with him out ;)

A cheap general with ramp and card advantage on it is pretty savage. 7 mana is a lot but it's instant and an infinite mana outlet.

You know who's not a human? all the great ramp payoff creatures pretty much :P

The nicest part about it is that it's really powerful from a sequencing perspective; you can drop 4-5 dorks in the early turns then drop it with your lands and tap for a million and just win right there (or be in pole position at least).

it's kinda like having mirar's wake in the command zone but it costs 2.

...and surprise, a general that's good with seedborn muse lol.
Last edited by pokken 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

MeowZeDung

Isn't that thrasios levels of stupid? Basically the lack of partner and a colorless activation to "nerf" it, but just read that text!

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Post by BOVINE » 4 years ago

Bloom Tender adds 4 or 3?
B O V I N E

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Bloom Tender does 3. Basalt Monolith does 4 :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Post by BOVINE » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Bloom Tender does 3. Basalt Monolith does 4 :P
So with only Basalt Monolith you get infinite C?
B O V I N E

pokken

Is that a record, two cards that go infinite with monolith in the same set?:P

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

I like Winota with Goblin Assault or the creature version of it. Works okay with Trynn. Good for tutors or any ETB effect creatures. Probably great in a shared tribe (allies? Giants? Warriors?).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”