Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

Stapler wrote:
4 years ago
Marath in particular seems completely nuts.
It's actually not super great in Marath, as most times you want to do be activating it in instances of 1, rather than removing more counters in a single instance to avoid getting countered and losing multiple +1/+1 counters in a single go.

Stapler
is a liar
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
Stapler wrote:
4 years ago
Marath in particular seems completely nuts.
It's actually not super great in Marath, as most times you want to do be activating it in instances of 1, rather than removing more counters in a single instance to avoid getting countered and losing multiple +1/+1 counters in a single go.
Yeah, thinking about it more he's definitely not the best to pair with Zirda, especially since you lose out on a lot of token and +1/+1 counter synergy cards. If you're building Marath less as a combo/synergy engine and more as a constant source of damage, counters, and tokens, Zirda seems like she can help reduce those costs while also enabling other synergies in the deck.
"Image"

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Emergent Ultimatum piles might include two card combos and Demonic Tutor.

Thassa's Oracle, Tainted Pact, Demonic Tutor.
Opponent needs to shuffle away Thassa's Oracle back into library, and then you Demonic Tutor for it.
Tainted Pact then gets Demonic Consultation.
You need to realistically wait a turn as Emergent Ultimatum costs 7 mana and you need to cast Thassa's Oracle and Demonic Consultation.
But these are cards you'd already play in a super competitive build. Would I play this in cEDH however? Probably not.

Another pile; Demonic Tutor, Omniscience, Enter the Infinite.

Song of Creation looks like an amazing card to build around. Playing the additional land just means that in a super cost efficient deck, you are going to get so much use out of it.
It just one of those decks where Underworld Breach shines as you are very likely to dig into it over a number of turns with Song of Creation in play, and then having to discard your hand, means you have access to those cards again.

Temur is not know for its ability to search for enchantments, so unfortunately you have to luck games to draw into it.
Hmm unless its one of the few permanent cards in a Illuna, Apex of Wishes deck...

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Well, if you were ever going to do a theme deck around Sauron from Middle Earth lore, Fire Prophecy is a must.

That's all. Everything else is too much to digest for me at the moment, with C20 and Ikoria dropping on top of one another. Plus I'm rereading Tolkien atm. Boromir is about to eat it.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote: But of note, if you have any mana creature like a Birds of Paradise (just need to attack with the Bird initially), you can get infinite mana in your combat phase.
It's even better than that - with infinite mana you can eventually stop using zegantha to activate najeela, just use the floating birds mana. leaving everyone untapped. Then you can do another attack step and do the same thing, going infinite so long as zegantha and birds can attack safely.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
darrenhabib wrote: But of note, if you have any mana creature like a Birds of Paradise (just need to attack with the Bird initially), you can get infinite mana in your combat phase.
It's even better than that - with infinite mana you can eventually stop using zegantha to activate najeela, just use the floating birds mana. leaving everyone untapped. Then you can do another attack step and do the same thing, going infinite so long as zegantha and birds can attack safely.
The mana empties between phases, so you'd still need another wubrg to restart the combo, so you're not actually getting anything "extra" out of the combo.

DirkGently

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
The mana empties between phases, so you'd still need another wubrg to restart the combo, so you're not actually getting anything "extra" out of the combo.
I didn't say you get extra mana afterwards. My point is that, with zegantha only, you get unlimited attack steps but zegantha remains tapped and, after the next swing, all your non-vigilant creatures will be tapped. With BoP you get unlimited USEFUL attack steps since you can keep untapping everything as well.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
I didn't say you get extra mana afterwards. My point is that, with zegantha only, you get unlimited attack steps but zegantha remains tapped and, after the next swing, all your non-vigilant creatures will be tapped. With BoP you get unlimited USEFUL attack steps since you can keep untapping everything as well.
...But you can't, because you still only have that infinite mana from BoP during the first attack step, and thus can't untap anything in later attack steps.

DirkGently

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
...But you can't, because you still only have that infinite mana from BoP during the first attack step, and thus can't untap anything in later attack steps.
Derp, you're right. For some reason I forgot about the initial 5 you need to sink in to get the combo going again.

It does work with something like, say, argothian elder since you can "store" the mana. But fireslinger is definitely the easiest way to win.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 years ago

Friends, I was cool with Song Of Creation's design until I saw Whirlwind of Thought. Now I'm wondering why the RUG got the shortest end of the drawback stick while Jeskai once again floats away on clouds of unfettered value. I admit, I'm salty as hell.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

*roars triumphantly in jeskai*

Better Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain is pretty dang spiffy.

It's not an auto include in every jeskai deck, but it's close to it along with jeskai ascendancy.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

Temur is twice the draw and triggers off creatures though. Also, you only discard at your own end step, so you can rack up a ton of value off instants and flash dudes.

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

Post by Kavu Enthusiast » 4 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
4 years ago
Najeela already combos with a stiff breeze.
I mean....that' describes just about most cEDH decks. Kinda what they all sign up for when playing the EDH version of 'well I'll just put 4 Sol Rings and 4 Demonic Tutors and 4....because technically there's no banned or restricted list in casual' 60 card casual.

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
4 years ago
Friends, I was cool with Song Of Creation's design until I saw Whirlwind of Thought. Now I'm wondering why the RUG got the shortest end of the drawback stick while Jeskai once again floats away on clouds of unfettered value. I admit, I'm salty as hell.
IDK I think it fits with their colors well. The RUG's enchantment is massively more powerful in its actual effects but isn't built for long term planning. It's explosive and grows out of control, then once its time of bloom is over, recedes. It's *very* G/R at the least. It's about exploding suddenly and burning out fast if you fail.

RWU on the other hand gets an effect that is strong, but less over the top and meant for building up and advantage over the long term with planning and thought. Very those colors, It's about building steadily and diligently.

I do note that both enchantments are not may triggers. Obviously there are ways for that to not be an issue, but it feels like a deliberate choice WotC has been doing with powerful permanent draw triggers to put at least a small limit that has to be worked around; for awhile they seemed to have just decided forced draw triggers were lame and they should almost always be a objectively more powerful and less risky 'may' trigger, but I'm seeing less 'may' triggers on some of the more powerful draw effects recently.
Last edited by Kavu Enthusiast 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Emergent Ultimatum piles might include two card combos and Demonic Tutor.

Thassa's Oracle, Tainted Pact, Demonic Tutor.
Opponent needs to shuffle away Thassa's Oracle back into library, and then you Demonic Tutor for it.
Tainted Pact then gets Demonic Consultation.
You need to realistically wait a turn as Emergent Ultimatum costs 7 mana and you need to cast Thassa's Oracle and Demonic Consultation.
But these are cards you'd already play in a super competitive build. Would I play this in cEDH however? Probably not.

Another pile; Demonic Tutor, Omniscience, Enter the Infinite.
Huh, it's almost like that format is easily broken and degenerate or something.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Kavu Enthusiast wrote:
4 years ago
I do not that both enchantments are not may triggers. Obviously there are ways for that to not be an issue, but it feels like a deliberate choice WotC has been doing with powerful permanent draw triggers to put at least a small limit that has to be worked around; for awhile they seemed to have just decided forced draw triggers were lame and they should almost always be a objectively more powerful and less risky 'may' trigger, but I'm seeing less 'may' triggers on some of the more powerful draw effects recently.
I'm a fan. Ever since I took out the draw doublers from Zedruu, I haven't had to do the "donate this sweet card away before it kills me" trick, and I'm excited to potentially have that situation come up again.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Just a funny thought experiment: can someone make a broken game winning pile with emergent ultimatum without using blue cards?

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
Just a funny thought experiment: can someone make a broken game winning pile with emergent ultimatum without using blue cards?
Insert Kiki combo plus Tooth and Nail, cast with two mana up.

The Jeskai ultimatum feels weirdly lacking in comparison to the other ones. Interesting what the design rationale behind that was.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

DirkGently

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
Tons of value? yes. Please god let me die? not really. Blue is the king of the unpleasant haymakers.

Are we allowed to use boros cards?
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
The Jeskai ultimatum feels weirdly lacking in comparison to the other ones. Interesting what the design rationale behind that was.
Whoa, wtf. The Jeskai one looks awful. And by awful I mean "actually a reasonable payoff for the cost but not WTF IS THIS CRAP good", so it probably won't get played.

After the other ones, I really do not mind. Anything is better than more EUs.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
I do not think there are any lines that win the game without extra mana without using blue cards.

Mostly you can't do the 'two recursion and a game winner' effect, and can't recast emergent ultimatum since it exiles.

If there is anything it's probably pretty convoluted.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago

Yeah, why not?

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

Splendid Ultimatum seems like they ran out of ideas and were completing the cycle out of obligation but I'm happier with that than with Triple Tutor From Hell!

DirkGently

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago

Yeah, why not?
Hmm, in that case I'm thinking something like decree of annihilation + 2 bombs that combo win somehow. They either leave you with a bomb on an uncontested field, or a combo win right away.

Having a hard time finding a combo win with 2 bombs, though. Craterhoof + that sorcery that gives tokens = life total maybe?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Whoa, wtf. The Jeskai one looks awful. And by awful I mean "actually a reasonable payoff for the cost but not WTF IS THIS CRAP good", so it probably won't get played.

After the other ones, I really do not mind. Anything is better than more EUs.
See the weirdest part is how this ultimatum follows the old semi-template from the previous ultimatum cycle, and the others threw that out the window. Like, what happened? Did they design this, go 'wow that's just not good enough, we need to redesign the wheel on the rest of them', proceed to explore completely different design space on each of the other ones and then never come back to this or something?

I agree given how over powered the rest of them are this seems more in line with the previous cycle. Personally I think if it were an instant that would be enough, that would validate the overall lower impact on the game you are getting at that cmc relative to the rest. It's not like these should all be on that level, but it would have been nice if all of the card's three effects were equally exciting. Drawing 5 cards for 7 at sorcery speed is nice, getting to do 5 damage as you please in addition to that is an ok bonus, but gaining 5 life one time is basically nothing in comparison.

This ultimatum feels like the guy from back when they were designing the original cycle of "3 of something for 1 cmc" cycle back in Alpha (before any of them really knew what effects were more or less valuable in the game as it would come to be) was allowed come out of their cave to design this card and they still look at drawing cards, gaining life and dealing damage and think "these are the same, drawing 5 cards is the same as dealing 5 damage is the same as gaining 5 life". Which, you know, I thought was a lesson WotC had learned some years ago is not the case.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”