Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

Zirda, the Dawnwaker seems neat as a general. Sure, you can just go for the typical Boros equipment deck, but I think there's a lot of cute things you could find with activated abilities for a different take on the color combo.

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

One thing I do like about the bug bomb (emergent ultimatum) is that it makes a strong case for why gifts ungiven is now fine :P

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

hmmm
Zirda is so amazing and slots into my Tiana deck, if I replace Tiana as commander xP

pokken

Yeah, zirda makes me really wanna consider revisiting my zacama, primal calamity Lands deck idea with all the guys who untap lands and tap to put lands into play etc :P

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

Look at that, Boros legend is so far the most interesting amoung them lol

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
Kaheera is the first Companion of real interest - she'd be playable in the 99 of Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist but I'm also 99% sure the deck needs to make zero or close to zero changes to just run her in the Companion slot instead. Although question - how do changelings like Mirror Entity interact with Kaheera? Is Kaheera looking at the typeline, or the textbox? Does changeling work during deckbuilding? I dig we have to ask these questions now.
Changeling works in all zones and during deckbuilding. I'm definitely strongly considering modifying my Arhabo deck to be compatible with Kaheera, as there's only like 8 cards I need to pull out. Granted, considering it's stuff like Sun Titan and Karmic Guide, there's a definite loss involved there, but it seems at least worth trying.

FoxOfWar

Post by FoxOfWar » 4 years ago

So... my favourite angel Basandra now has a pet fox and a curious direction to build? Sold!
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

Because I don't think Scryfall has a convenient way to search for "card with any activated ability", here's all the commanders that can companion with Zirda:
Lots of good options to choose from. Samut and Breya usually play a pile of activated abilities anyways and Marath in particular seems completely nuts. I've built so many companion decks already though that I'm likely to shelve this one for a later date when I have more inspiration.
"Image"

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

silly downside: Zirda disallows you to play Mountain Stronghold :B

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Zirda is a good Boros cycling general.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif » 4 years ago

Yeah, Firefox will be my new cEDH project. Goes infinite with Grim Monolith/Basalt Monolith and i really want this furred fella in foil :D

Wallycaine

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
Zirda is a good Boros cycling general.
Oh wow, it absolutely did not click that Zirda works with cycling. That's pretty awesome, especially for those cards that cycle for an effect.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
UnNamed1 wrote:
4 years ago
That makes a lot more sense, so rather than a 2 card combo, it is more like a 3 or 4 card combo. Not nearly as scary as some other cards.
I mean all you need is a goblin fireslinger to win the game. It's 3 cards but 2 of them are in the CZ and the third is (pick one of countless options).
All you need to do is attack with Jegantha, the Wellspring and Najeela, the Blade-Blossom and then spend WUBRG from other mana sources (lands or whatever) and then it untaps Jegantha. Now you can just keep tapping and untapping for creating infinite attack steps on the stack.
Najeela, the Blade-Blossom natural ability to double attacking Warriors means infinite Warriors eventually.
Of course Najeela, the Blade-Blossom and those first Warriors have to survive the initial attacks, but easily done in multiple player, selecting the weakest player and using perhaps removal to clear a path.

So you were right, it really is a two card combo.

[EDIT]
If you look at a Najeela cEDH list then "cuts" would have to be Force of Will, Counterspell, Mana Drain, Druids' Repository,, Nature's Will, Thassa's Oracle, Eldritch Evolution.
Without Thassa's Oracle then Demonic Consultation and Tainted Pact become obsolete as well.
The Druids' Repository, is a though one to give up on as well.
Last edited by darrenhabib 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

Najeela already combos with a stiff breeze.

Wallycaine

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
UnNamed1 wrote:
4 years ago
That makes a lot more sense, so rather than a 2 card combo, it is more like a 3 or 4 card combo. Not nearly as scary as some other cards.
I mean all you need is a goblin fireslinger to win the game. It's 3 cards but 2 of them are in the CZ and the third is (pick one of countless options).
All you need to do is attack with Jegantha, the Wellspring and Najeela, the Blade-Blossom and then spend WUBRG from other mana sources (lands or whatever) and then it untaps Jegantha. Now you can just keep tapping and untapping for creating infinite attack steps on the stack.
Najeela, the Blade-Blossom natural ability to double attacking Warriors means infinite Warriors eventually.
Of course Najeela, the Blade-Blossom and those first Warriors have to survive the initial attacks, but easily done in multiple player, selecting the weakest player and using perhaps removal to clear a path.

It doesn't quite work without vigilance, because while you will have infinite attack steps, you won't untap during any of them, because you did all the untaps back in the first attack step. So a 1/1 with vigilance will get there, but otherwise you just get to go through the motions.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago

It doesn't quite work without vigilance, because while you will have infinite attack steps, you won't untap during any of them, because you did all the untaps back in the first attack step. So a 1/1 with vigilance will get there, but otherwise you just get to go through the motions.
Oh right, just woke up :P
But of note, if you have any mana creature like a Birds of Paradise (just need to attack with the Bird initially), you can get infinite mana in your combat phase.
You could leverage off cards like Pull from Tomorrow or on-board mana sinks like Thrasios, Triton Hero.

Reconnaissance would allow you to untap your creatures, just untap them after damage.

But yeah requires at least another card to combo.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Well, I just fell in love with a green common. Almighty Brushwagg, best common in the set, or best common in the set? :laughing:
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

I fell in love with offspring's revenge. Amazing EDH card.

Airi
Queen of Salt

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
I fell in love with offspring's revenge. Amazing EDH card.
I hate it. WotC went too hard on the emotional punching bag cards this set. 😭

pokken

You could do some pretty powerful stuff with nightmare shepherd luminous broodmoth and offspring's revenge in terms of just serious value.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Almight Brushwagg is amazing. All hail the mighty Brushwagg!

Offspring's Revenge is Seance, but much better. Exiling stuff is unfortunate, but getting a hasty token Sun Titan, Etali, Primal Storm, or Sepulchral Primordial sounds sweet. Definitely worth it if you're light on recursion, especially since it triggers on combat, which means you can get immediate value.

I don't think Zirda, the Dawnwaker makes the cut in my Samut tap-ability-tribal deck, but it's certainly interesting. I'm currently running ~18 permanents without activated abilities, which tend to be pretty powerful (Sun Titan and Etali, but I also couldn't see myself cutting Seedborn Muse). Simultaneously, most of my tap abilities are already either free to activate, or cost at most 1-2 mana, which means I'm not getting any mileage out of the cost reduction. Could be amazing as a build around, but would require too many changes for my current version.

Farfinder looks a bit odd (as does Mysterious Egg). Mostly significant because it's a colorless non-artifact creature, of which there aren't many. Mildly interesting for Cloudstone Curio loops in Animar, but I assume it may also be here as a colorless-matters plant in Zendikar Rising (or, more realistically, mana fixing in limited).

Of One Mind is potentially a 1 mana draw 2, which is mildly interesting.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Offspring's Revenge is Seance, but much better. Exiling stuff is unfortunate, but getting a hasty token Sun Titan, Etali, Primal Storm, or Sepulchral Primordial sounds sweet. Definitely worth it if you're light on recursion, especially since it triggers on combat, which means you can get immediate value.
Token maintains all abilities, which makes them perfect candidate for mutate effects; their size will change accordingly.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Token maintains all abilities, which makes them perfect candidate for mutate effects; their size will change accordingly.
They are basically haste enabler for your mutants

pokken

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago

Offspring's Revenge is Seance, but much better.
I am not a huge seance junky but...you may wanna read how seance works in 4 player games :)

It's very different and waaaaay more powerful if you're building around ETB effects anyway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”