CCL April Signups/Round 1: Enemies Aligned

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

CCL April Signups/Round 1

"Enemies Aligned"

Abzan Runemark, taken from artofmtg.com, by James Ryman and Wizards of the Coast

Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Tarkir Month on CCL! This month we'll be exploring the dragoniest block that ever dragoned. It brought with it a lot to love, much of it that wasn't even dragons. We'll be exploring the design challenges presented by its themes with some focus on wedge design.

Challenge: Design a monocolor card that rewards being in that card's enemy colors, or one ally and one enemy color.
  • For example, a white card can care about both enemy colors (red and black), or it can care about one ally (green or blue) and one enemy (red or black). It cannot care about both ally colors.
  • Whether that takes the form of activation costs, or those colors mattering (e.g. Abzan Runemark), is open to interpretation.
  • Your card should not care about just one of those two color. Being in either/both should matter.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
  • Your card can be set on Tarkir or elsewhere.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, April 7th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (April 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (April 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due April 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (April 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due April 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (April 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due April 29th)
  • Final (May, winner determined by public poll)
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

frogchild
izzet mage

Post by frogchild » 4 years ago

Ehlkar, Traitor To Bant WW
Legendary Creature - Human Coward
1B, T: Draw a card and you lose one life. Activate this ability only if you control a Swamp
1R, T: Deal 2 damage to any target. Activate this ability only if you control a Mountain
Fear drives even the most loyal to evil
1/2
connesieur of all things red and/or blue

RaikouRider
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Ainok Ambush 2G
Instant {U}
Target creature you control gains deathtouch until end of turn if B was spent to cast this spell, and gains indestructible until end of turn if W was spent to cast this spell. Then that creature fights up to one target creature you don't control.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

FYI: The challenge has been relaxed to permit (still wedge) cards that care about an ally and enemy color. I've encountered some confusion with the challenge format, and given Tarkir's wedge cards are all ally focused I imagine that would remain a persistent issue this week.

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 4 years ago

Crowd Out 2U
Instant (U)
Create a 1/1 green Elf creature token if G was spent to cast this spell and/or a 1/1 red Goblin creature token if R was spent to cast this spell, then counter target spell unless it's controller pays 1 for each creature you control.
"You trying getting a word in edgewise,"
Last edited by Jimmy Groove 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Empire's Erasure 3BB
Sorcery (R)
Kicker {g/w}{g/w}
Destroy all creatures. If this spell was kicked, destroy all nonland permanents instead.
"A thousand years, or a thousand thousand, seemed to pass in an instant, until the mage lowered his hands and the greatest city known to man was nothing more than a pile of dust."
-Saretora, wandering historian
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Jeskai Art Maker
Creature - Human (Rare)
Defender
, : Create a 1/1 red artifact servo creature token.
, : Target servo you control becomes a 5/5 and is blue in addition to its other colors and types.
2/2
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Monster of the Marang 4B
Creature - Frog Horror (U)
Flash
2G: Target creature gains deathtouch until end of turn.
2U: Untap target creature.
The mere possibility of its presence puts Sultai patrols on alert.
3/3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Condfident Krumar 3B
Creature--Orc Warrior (Uncommon)
Whenever Confident Krumar attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it if you control two or more Forests and you gain 4 life if you control two or more Plains.
2/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Skyfire Adept W
Creature — Human Monk (U)
Skyfire Adept has flying as long as you control an island.
Skyfire Adept gets +1/+1 as long as you control a mountain.
"Ojutai taught us focus and discipline. Shu Yun's scrolls taught us to channel that focus towards those who subdued us."
1/1

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Vadrok's Amplifier 1RR
Creature - Human Shaman (Rare)
Haste
Whenever a source you control deals damage, you may pay WU, if you do, untap each creature you control and tap each creature you don't control.
"I will never be as powerful as the behemoths, but I aspire to be as fearsome."
3/3

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Netherscape Acolyte 1G
Creature - Elf Druid (U)
T, Exile a blue card or an Island from your graveyard: Add U. When this mana is spent to cast an instant or sorcery spell, scry 1 and you gain 1 life.
T, Exile a black card or a Swamp from your graveyard: Add B. When this mana is spent to cast a creature spell, that creature enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
1/3

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Rannetraptor 5U
Creature - Beast Dinosaur (c)
If you spent R to cast this spell, it enters the battlefield with a menace counter on it.
If you spent G to cast this spell, it enters the battlefield with a trample counter on it.
The rannetraptors strike with fervor, fury, and strength.
6/6

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Arashin Bondweaver 2GG
Creature — Hound Cleric (U)
Whenever you cast a white or black spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Arashin Bondweaver and a +1/+1 counter on another target creature you control.
2/2
formerly willows

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Last day for submissions! It is now 8am EST. This round closes in 16 hours.

silasary

Post by silasary » 4 years ago

Flesh Scavenger
Creature - Naga Shaman (Rare)
At the beginning of your end step, put the top card of your library into your graveyard. If it's a blue or green creature card, you may put it into your hand instead.
She digs through the refuse, looking for functional corpses.
3/2

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Unfettered Griffin 3w
Creature - Griffin (u)
Convoke
Flying
Unfettered Griffin enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it if a green creature convoked it.
Unfettered Griffin has haste if a red creature convoked it.
Once freed, the beasts joined the riot against a same enemy.
2/2

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

I hope it's not too late. I understand if it is.

Jumping Master 3R
Creature — Human Monk (U)
Haste
If WU was spent to cast this spell, Jumping Master enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
Jumping Master has flying as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.
Many Jeskai techniques require you to jump.
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

The round is closed. Please critique and provide a top 3 for the seven contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

frogchild
RaikouRider
Jimmy Groove
slimytrout
marioguy3
void_nothing
kwanyeegor-ii
Subject16
netn10
Ink-Treader
Gateways7
barbecube
silasary
Henlock
bravelion83

(For CCL regulars: yes, that's up from the usual six critiques. See here for more information.)

Round 2 has been posted here: CCL April Signups/Round 2: Taking Sides
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Critiques (done)
Show
Hide
frogchild wrote:
4 years ago
Ehlkar, Traitor To Bant WW
Legendary Creature - Human Coward
1B, T: Draw a card and you lose one life. Activate this ability only if you control a Swamp
1R, T: Deal 2 damage to any target. Activate this ability only if you control a Mountain
Fear drives even the most loyal to evil
1/2
The card is fine but only two words: missing rarity. Full stops are also missing at the end of both activated abilities and the flavor text, but the big thing is rarity. I can't vote for a card that's missing rarity, I'm sorry.
RaikouRider wrote:
4 years ago
Ainok Ambush 2G
Instant {U}
Target creature you control gains deathtouch until end of turn if B was spent to cast this spell, and gains indestructible until end of turn if W was spent to cast this spell. Then that creature fights up to one target creature you don't control.
I like this card both mechanically and flavorfully. Ainok and leonin are probably my favorite races in MTG. Very nice and functional design.
Jimmy Groove wrote:
4 years ago
Crowd Out 2U
Instant (U)
Create a 1/1 green Elf creature token if G was spent to cast this spell and/or a 1/1 red Goblin creature token if R was spent to cast this spell, then counter target spell unless it's controller pays 1 for each creature you control.
"You trying getting a word in edgewise,"
No, I can't believe it! I don't play for a few months and as soon as I'm back, it's also back: the verb it's vs. the possessive its. Here it's the wrong one. I also have trouble understanding the flavor text. It feels like some word is missing or something like that.
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
Empire's Erasure 3BB
Sorcery (R)
Kicker {g/w}{g/w}
Destroy all creatures. If this spell was kicked, destroy all nonland permanents instead.
"A thousand years, or a thousand thousand, seemed to pass in an instant, until the mage lowered his hands and the greatest city known to man was nothing more than a pile of dust."
-Saretora, wandering historian
This is genius. "Destroy target/all nonland permanent(s)" is not monocolor but either WB or GB, and B can destroy all creatures. A perfect mixing of those different pieces. The flavor text is also very good.
marioguy3 wrote:
4 years ago
Jeskai Art Maker
Creature - Human (Rare)
Defender
, : Create a 1/1 red artifact servo creature token.
, : Target servo you control becomes a 5/5 and is blue in addition to its other colors and types.
2/2
Servo is a creature type and thus should be capitalized. No problems with the design.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Monster of the Marang 4B
Creature - Frog Horror (U)
Flash
2G: Target creature gains deathtouch until end of turn.
2U: Untap target creature.
The mere possibility of its presence puts Sultai patrols on alert.
3/3
Another perfect card with no mistakes and a good design. My only remark is that the abilities feel a little bit disconnected to me, but I see how they can be useful together in combat. Good work.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 years ago
Condfident Krumar 3B
Creature--Orc Warrior (Uncommon)
Whenever Confident Krumar attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it if you control two or more Forests and you gain 4 life if you control two or more Plains.
2/2
I don't think we need to talk about formatting. It's a long story by now. I'd never vote for a card with such formatting mistakes, always the same by the way, even if it were the best card in the world. I'm tired of pointing out the specific mistakes, you should know them by now.
Top 3

1st place: slimytrout
2nd place: RaikouRider
3rd place: void_nothing
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii - Definitely feels Abzan and I like both effects. I just wonder how often you'll be getting both. Also, you won't be pleased if you have this without the correct lands on the battlefield.

Subject16 - Clean, nice, probably as overly efficient as Wild Nacatl but who's counting? This is the kind of shoutout card that gets people talking.

netn10 - So clearly this is meant to be used with pingers. A puzzling little card that might make it a bit too easy to lock your opponents out of attacking/blocking.

Ink-Treader - I'm an absolute sucker for "modified mana" so I love both abilities here. Especially the very useful but minor bonuses. Good job!

Gateways7 - A perfectly solid design that just feels arbitrary; if not for the challenge calling for it there seems to be no reason to make the base body blue. If this were part of a cycle it feels like blue would get the 2U 2/2 one or somesuch.

barbecube - Neat! I would have made this give itself a +1/+1 counter for a black spell and another target creature the counter for a white one, but this is a nice Abzan card as-is.

silasary - Extremely clever card that feels slightly more like it should be a green creature digging for blue and black creatures (mechanically) than how it's already set up. (But black is the center color for the Sultai anyhow so it's understandable, plus a Bob reference in there...)
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. silasary
2. Ink-Treader
3. barbecube
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Had to keep my critiques a bit shorter because of the increased number, but overall didn't think it was a huge imposition.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Jeskai Art Maker: I guess the reason it's changing colors is because it's an artist? But why is it also becoming a 5/5?
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Monster of the Marang: Fun card, although not terribly innovative. Could definitely see this getting printed though.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Confident Krumar: This is an entirely unplayable card without two forests, and reasonably good with them, which is a bigger swing than we'd usually see at uncommon.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Skyfire Adept: Approaching Delver of Secrets level with a Steam Vents on turn 2, which is probably better than is optimal. But still a fun card.
netn10
Show
Hide
Vadrok's Amplifier: Kind of a weird name for a creature - feels like an artifact. Pretty busted with any kind of pinger or repeatable damage source.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Netherscape Acolyte: Very fun! Literally my only note is that the lifegain doesn't feel like a very blue reward, even if it's technically permissible on a green card.
Gateways7
Show
Hide
Rannetraptor: Very cool idea, and pretty innovative. Execution is a little odd, since blue doesn't feel like it would have Beast Dinosaurs and virtually never gets 6-power creatures at common without a downside. But definitely a good concept.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. Gateways7
3. void_nothing

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

All done
Gateways7
Show
Hide
It's a neat common, but it doesn't feel blue.
barbecube
Show
Hide
Sure, this works. good potential, but nothing too crazy.
silasary
Show
Hide
Some wording issues aside, this is pretty cool. It could probably hit green and/or blue cards in general, with some reflavoring.
Henlock
Show
Hide
I've designed something similar before, in the vein of "what convokes matters". I wonder is this could be pushed a little more, but it's fine as is.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
It's quite solid if you fulfill the conditions, but rather weak without them.
frogchild
Show
Hide
The abilities are quite decent, but I feel there should be some white effects somewhere.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
I like this. It's quite solid removal.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. silasary
3. Henlock

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Subject16: Strong 1-drop but a little boring, also could probably be common like wild nacatl lol

netn10: wow a great payoff for burn, nice thinking and good job

Ink-Treader: nice powerful mana source, versatile, but also kinda wordy

Gateways7: a good beater for limited but also pretty generic

barbecube: nice effects but doesn't feel that connected to white or black other than being abzan

silasary: cool, a nice way to do card draw and an elegant strong card

Henlock: wowwww really nice expansion on convoke, i'm impressed

1 Henlock
2 silasary
3 netn10
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
barbecube - I like this concept, but the fact that you're putting a counter on both the creature and another makes me think that it would have been a more fun design to put the counter on a white or black creature instead of caring about the color of the spell cast, so that you can still get some value from the card without being forced into white or black to get any value from the card. (It would probably have to be at a different rarity, but yeah.)
silasary - This is pretty powerful, but the implementation of color works really well, as it gets you extra draws (fine in blue) if they're creatures (fine in green.) I think it's probably balanced enough, and I'm a big fan!
Henlock - Cool concept, but plugging this into MSE shows that it would take 9 lines with reminder text, which is way too much for an uncommon. It probably should drop flying and the flavor text.
bravelion83 - This is my favorite kind of multicolor design - the card is better with multiple colors but isn't just a vanilla creature without it - you still have some value and a chance to gain the advantage that multiple colors would bring.
frogchild - I feel like the mana restriction kinda makes the "Activate this only if you control a Swamp or Mountain" parts unnecesary, but other than that this is solid.
RaikouRider - I really like this as a flexible fight spell that gives you a lot of options on how to turn it into a removal spell, big fan!
Jimmy Groove - I like this idea, it seems pretty fun, and I can't believe we've never seen that kind of mana restriction on countering spells yet.
T3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. bravelion83
3. silsary

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”