Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Oh, wow, that Cathartic Reunion is so nice. Both versions are. What a terrific card.

That also plays well with our discard-favorable set!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 4 years ago

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
Oh, wow, that Cathartic Reunion is so nice. Both versions are. What a terrific card.

Nice? The guy catches the dinosaur in a pokèball and then they give each other hungry eyes. Nothing nice about it. Pure romance.

Serenade
UnderKing

A wolfbear being two 2/2s stapled together? I love it.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
4 years ago
Serenade wrote:
4 years ago

Nice? The guy catches the dinosaur in a pokèball and then they give each other hungry eyes. Nothing nice about it. Pure romance.
That's not how I read that "ministory" over those three cards at all.

Guy meets and gets a bond with a wild dinosaurthing. Wild Dinosaurthing gets caught by a wizard who wants to remove it so it doesn't threaten the settlement. Guy reunites with the dinosaurthing in the wild.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

I'm hoping there's enough decent mutate cards to make Otrimi, the Ever-Playful work, but we probably won't know until Ikoria is completely out. It's an adorable little murder monster.

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
World, meet Freegate!
I'll have six of these yesterday thank you very much.
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
I now think the blue one being "Counter target non creature spell" is pretty damn plausible.
Looks like I was right on that one. Although I waffled a lot. Still sorta surprised they went for it, what an insane card.

For all that I'm still not sure it goes into phelddagrif though, surprisingly.

Ooh, lurrus is surprisingly good. First one where I could realistically see a deck that's actually improved by him.

Edit: ah, but only ayli or karlov for commanders do that's a bit limiting. Seems great for both of them though.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

I feel like one of these companions is going to require everything to share a color (green-red would work since it doesn't rely on artifacts as much).

Lurrus saying "permanent" instead of all cards is interesting in that it's not the exact opposite of UG hippo thing.

I just now noticed the kitten nightmare. This card is great! AND I love that Kunoros shuts it down!

Mr_Webman

Post by Mr_Webman » 4 years ago

Fierce Guardianship seems insane and I love and hate every bit of it. My Derevi deck will definitely love it.
Known as TheGodOfWar91 on MTGSalvation

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Fierce Guardianship does indeed look quite strong. I'm trying to think of decks I have that don't want it, and it's pretty much just Animar (because Primal Surge). Free countermagic is good, and Negate is already pretty playable in the format, so a fail case of paying an extra mana over it isn't that embarassing.

Lurrus of the Dream-Den is adorable. I'll need to wait for the full companion-in-commander rules to be revealed before I render judgment though - I think it was said that the commander counts, but not entirely sure. In which case Teysa would unfortunately be immediately disqualified. Even if that deck weren't, I suspect that cutting pretty much all of my topend still wouldn't be worth it, even if you can still play expensive instants/sorceries. As part of the 99 though... looks very plausible, and at least worth testing. I suspect this is more of a card for other formats (modern/legacy/vintage), but still sweet.

if4ko

Post by if4ko » 4 years ago

Out of all the cards to get a better version of in Commander, I did not expect %$#% Force of Negation to be one of them.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Lurrus of the Dream-Den is adorable. I'll need to wait for the full companion-in-commander rules to be revealed before I render judgment though - I think it was said that the commander counts, but not entirely sure. In which case Teysa would unfortunately be immediately disqualified. Even if that deck weren't, I suspect that cutting pretty much all of my topend still wouldn't be worth it, even if you can still play expensive instants/sorceries. As part of the 99 though... looks very plausible, and at least worth testing. I suspect this is more of a card for other formats (modern/legacy/vintage), but still sweet.
I mean... you can just use him as a commander?

Couver

Post by Couver » 4 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
That's what I was thinking. It seems to be one of the better companions for being a commander. Although the restriction is a little tough. Making me think of orzhov weenies?

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

Couver wrote:
4 years ago
ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
That's what I was thinking. It seems to be one of the better companions for being a commander. Although the restriction is a little tough. Making me think of orzhov weenies?
If you make them your commander, then you don't have to follow the restriction, since you're not using their companion rule. Obviously you'd still want to include plenty of targets for their ability, of course, but you can still run some stuff like Sun Titan and the like to synergize.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Ha, yeah, my first thought was 'can I use this as a companion for my existing Orzhov deck', not 'can I use this in place of my existing Orzhov commander'. Don't think I would make the swap, but Lurrus does look like a fun commander too.

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

Post by Kavu Enthusiast » 4 years ago

UnfulfilledDesires wrote:
4 years ago
Twinning Staff has an impressive number of combos along the lines of Palinchron. For example, Izzet Guildmage plus Manamorphose gets there. I think it's fine & can't wait to build & play with the Staff in the Kalamax, the Stormsire list I'm working on (intended as fringe cEDH). My point is just that the Staff is considerably better than Mirari & Swarm Intelligence.
Don't forget infinite mana with Turnabout, Twinning Staff and 12+ mana between all your lands and rocks! Very efficient combo guys.

It's powerful but I agree you have to put so much into it that the win isn't unfair.

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

I skimmed Nethroi, Apex of Death initially and thought he was strong but didn't think about him much until I looked at him again and realized he's pretty nucking futs for Doran Toughness Matters style decks. He's not going to be a house himself on in combat but his mutate ability is going to let you slap almost your entire GY of creatures into play in most Doran deck, or at least an unfair number of them bare minimum.

ilovesaprolings

Kavu Enthusiast wrote:
4 years ago
I skimmed Nethroi, Apex of Death initially and thought he was strong but didn't think about him much until I looked at him again and realized he's pretty nucking futs for Doran Toughness Matters style decks. He's not going to be a house himself on in combat but his mutate ability is going to let you slap almost your entire GY of creatures into play in most Doran deck, or at least an unfair number of them bare minimum.
But how do you plan to repeatedly use mutate?
If you have Doran as commander and only Nethroi as mutate, a single spot removal can ruin your plan

JoeyB11223

Post by JoeyB11223 » 4 years ago

Kavu Enthusiast wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah I'm going to try and find space for it in Doran, not something you want to see early but great later on. I mean feels bad when they wipe after but then you could say that about any situation where you get a lot of bodies in-play.

My only gripe and reason I'd not 100% committed, is it's stats don't gel well, so I'd have to mutate it for the abilities only and keep the stats of the original creature most of the time. I wish for that reason it had been say a 3/7

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
Kavu Enthusiast wrote:
4 years ago
If you have Doran as commander and only Nethroi as mutate, a single spot removal can ruin your plan
There might be another creature or two that could play with Doran, but honestly you wouldn't pay 7 Mana for a one sided mass res of your GY and give deathtouch and lifelink to one of your creatures? For the sort of tables you'd play Doran at that's a lot of value. Not to mention there are ways of recurring Nethroi like Phyrexian Reclamation and the deck has a mild passive lifegain and life for cards synergies backing up the toughness matters central theme. Even if he was the only mutate creature in the deck I could use him multiple times in a game.

DirkGently

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
It's still just a solid standalone card. It doesn't HAVE to be repeatable. (or reliable, obviously it is more prone to disruption than, say, living death.

Although, especially as a creature, it'd be pretty easy to recur to hand with phyrexian reclamation or whatever so long as it doesn't get exiled. Or with blinking spirit-type shenanigans.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

At first I was really excited about Lurrus of the Dream-Den as an actual build around companion, and then use some partner pairings to get lots of colors.
However, I remembered that your commanders are part of the stipulations as well, which means that you can only have 2 cmc commander.
This means that you can literally only play Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim or Karlov of the Ghost Council.
At that stage its just probably easier to play it as your actual commander.

I'm sure you can build a decent Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim that makes use of the sacrifice to recast stuff.

DirkGently

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I'm sure you can build a decent Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim that makes use of the sacrifice to recast stuff.
Yeah it does actually have good synergy with the 2 commanders it works with. Super low-cmc Karlov decks could probably use a tool to refuel out of the CZ (or wherever it is) too. Especially one with lifelink (which also benefits Ayli, whee!).
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ilovesaprolings

So the sultai decks got (as the new C20 cards):
3 mutates
capricopian
tidal barracuda
boneyard mycodrax... why?
manascape refractor........ why?
dredge the mire....... whyyyyyyyy?

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

oh my gawd, manascape refractor is so gorgeous, just slots automatically into anything with a util or rampy mana base, it's like thespian's stage but less of a method actor hee

i want three of that card and I wasn't even gonna buy the sultai deck at all

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”