Unreleased and New Card Discussion

ilovesaprolings
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Kelsien feels meh.
Zaxara feels like it's in the wrong colors. Seriously the hydra/fireball tribal commander isn't red?

Overall, i'm way more excited about Ikoria cards than C20 cards

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Lutri, the Spellchaser: literally who?
Already been banned
A clever person would have realized that's why I put a joke there, instead of an actual analysis of the card like I did for every other potential commander.

Luckily you're a clever person, so of course you already realized that and you were just playing along with the joke. Right? ;)
Not quite i had a suspicion, but wasn't fully sure. (One person i was talking to who goes to my LGS was already plotting a deck, i ha dto inform him Lutri was banned.

Sucks cause I would love Lutri as a commander. Or even just add Lutri to my Izzet spellslinger.
Maybe they will unban Lutri later. It can go into all decks (unless it still has to match the commander's color identity even if outside of the game) the 4 decks that do not run blue or red only need a way to create that mana (Gilded lotus)

So yeah I am still gonna pick up a few, just in case it gets unbanned.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

I hope someone creates a 5c Gates deck with Keruga, the Macrosage before Ravnica rotates, giggle
it took me so long to think of something you could actually do with it

Gashnaw

folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
I hope someone creates a 5c Gates deck with Keruga, the Macrosage before Ravnica rotates, giggle
it took me so long to think of something you could actually do with it
5 color gates? My buddy runs one and his commander is over a CMC of 3.

EDIT: misread (I thought it was 3 or less) too bad my decks run sol rings.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Commander stuff this weekend, I suppose. Hoping for some nice reprints.

Zaxara, the Exemplary - generates mana, turns big splash X spells into big scary hydra tokens. Seems decent. Villainous Wealth.dec?

Kelsien, the Plague - not the most exciting usage of experience counters, but seems like a solid commander for a pingers deck. Deathtouch counters look particularly appropriate here.

Shiny Impetus is adorable.

Molten Echoes seems very abusable. Inalla, Archmage Ritualist for any tribe? The effect exists elsewhere - Flameshadow Conjuring and Minion Reflector say hi - but being free opens up a lot of options.

Tayam, Luminous Enigma is another fun option that I would consider building. Sun Titan all the things! Vigilance isn't the most useful keyword to grant, but I imagine there are some uses for it. Meanwhile, recurring arbitrary cheap permanents repeatedly is pretty strong. You do need to run a decent number of counters to fuel it though, so there's some interesting deckbuilding requirements there.

Nesting Grounds - I wouldn't have been super excited about this prior to Ikoria, but moving a lifelink counter onto Searing Meditation or Manabarbs sounds hilarious, as does moving a deathtouch counter onto Staff of Nin or any other noncreature pinger.

'If you control a commander, cast this for free' cycle - looks sweet. Doesn't go in every deck, but free spells are good. Flawless Maneuver is one of the best protect-your-team spells I've seen - only protects your creatures, and doesn't grant hexproof like Heroic Intervention, and it doesn't have the completeness of Teferi's Protection... but being free is really, really good for this effect.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Shabraz is a good human general?
Brallin is another buddy of Nekusar.
They look crazy and cool, at least. I like them more than Gavi.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Gashnaw

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
'If you control a commander, cast this for free' cycle - looks sweet. Doesn't go in every deck, but free spells are good. Flawless Maneuver is one of the best protect-your-team spells I've seen - only protects your creatures, and doesn't grant hexproof like Heroic Intervention, and it doesn't have the completeness of Teferi's Protection... but being free is really, really good for this effect.
Indestructible is really goo in my met since there is a lack of spot removal. It's all about board wipes.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago

Nesting Grounds - I wouldn't have been super excited about this prior to Ikoria, but moving a lifelink counter onto Searing Meditation or Manabarbs sounds hilarious, as does moving a deathtouch counter onto Staff of Nin or any other noncreature pinger.
Now that's an idea. I wonder if there will be enough ability tokens in Boros colors to permit all these shenanigans.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Molten Echoes seems very abusable. Inalla, Archmage Ritualist for any tribe? The effect exists elsewhere - Flameshadow Conjuring and Minion Reflector say hi - but being free opens up a lot of options.
Yeah. . .

I got real excited for this in my Bruse/Kraum beast tribal ETB/cycling deck, but that deck has a self imposed restriction to 4+ card combos, and I can't fit Molten Echoes in without cutting something else or else it will result in a three card infinite with Felidar Guardian and Lumbering Battlement. I'm sure this is a MILD example of how this card can go off, and I'm also sure it will be abused in short order.

It's too bad that Nesting Grounds is at sorcery speed only. Putting a deathtouch counter on a Dagger Caster or Goblin Chainwhirler would have been spectacular.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

Post by Kavu Enthusiast » 4 years ago

How did they print a "hydras and x spells tribal" legendary and it not GRx? Like...Come. On. Its trigger is just perfect for a Jund Hydra/x spells tribal deck. They're never going to print an ability that perfect for that use again on a Hydra legendary and they suddenly decide hydra secondary colors are blue and black, not red?

Just....how?

I've be excited by a lot of stuff so far in Ikoria. A lot of stuff making it seem like a cool block....but "Hydra legendary that is perfect for Hydra and x spell EDH deck that is at least GR" has been on my wish list for awhile now and this is one of those cases where you hope they either hot the bullseye or miss by a mile because I'd they miss by an inch you'll never get anything better.

I imagine this is how people who wanted a werewolf legendary felt when they got Ulrich.....but at least he was in colors for the tribe.

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

People are missing that nesting grounds opens up a new way to break Magosi for extra turns. There was no legal card previously that allowed you to move any type of counter from any type of permanent to another.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Vadrok, Apex of Thunder: I keep thinking of him as being like sun titan, but he's obviously a lot more complicated than that. darrenhabib had the brilliant idea to use him with self-bouncing creatures like Glitterfang, which seems sweet, but also I'm not sure if I can think of a great way to abuse a 2-card combo that effectively costs a 3-mana from your graveyard for 5 mana once per turn. You could recur equipment...wheel a bunch...play some removal...idk. With flash it gets more exciting, but it still seems like a lot of work. I want to figure him out, but I don't really see a plan for him yet beyond bouncing him.
You can keep recasting Restore Balance, Wheel of Fate, Ancestral Vision each turn.

I especially like the Restore Balance plan, play quite a bit of artifact mana, and just keep opponents on 1 creature and a certain number of lands every turn
Use Gamble and Intuition as a way to get access to it and you'll need some discard outlets to get them into graveyard like Faithless Looting, Careful Study, Cathartic Reunion, Chart a Course, etc
Wild Research will go a long way, searching for instants that don't matter if go to graveyard.
Sunforger also being a way to get access to spells for recasting.

Gashnaw

Kavu Enthusiast wrote:
4 years ago
People are missing that nesting grounds opens up a new way to break Magosi for extra turns. There was no legal card previously that allowed you to move any type of counter from any type of permanent to another.
Giant fan
EDIT: Oh, you said legal card

No but seriously walk me through process of how this creates infinite turns.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
Kavu Enthusiast wrote:
4 years ago
Giant fan

I believe you require a counter doubler, such as doubling season, as well. The basic loop is that you put 2 counters on Magosi using it's own ability. You move one of the counters off Magosi onto a random permanent. You bounce Magosi, replay it, and then move the counter back. Then you bounce Magosi again. At that point, you've gotten 2 extra turns versus only skipping one, so as long as you can do all the parts of this over one or two turns, you can maintain the loop for infinite turns. At least, that's what I assume the approach is here, since I don't think there's any way to produce Eon counters normally.

Edit: Oh, right, the counter doubler applies to the movement of the counters as well, so you'll be putting 2 counters on your random permanent as well, so you can get up to 3 extra turns off 1 skipped. Which makes getting enough untaps to maintain the loop much easier.

Gashnaw

Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
Kavu Enthusiast wrote:
4 years ago
Giant fan

I believe you require a counter doubler, such as doubling season, as well. The basic loop is that you put 2 counters on Magosi using it's own ability. You move one of the counters off Magosi onto a random permanent. You bounce Magosi, replay it, and then move the counter back. Then you bounce Magosi again. At that point, you've gotten 2 extra turns versus only skipping one, so as long as you can do all the parts of this over one or two turns, you can maintain the loop for infinite turns. At least, that's what I assume the approach is here, since I don't think there's any way to produce Eon counters normally.
Mags enters tapped, you need to tap to add the counter and lose a turn and tap to get a turn. Then you have to keep in mind that you can only play 1 land a turn.

Sure Nesting grounds allows you to break mags, but it seem to require way too many pieces. In this situation, you kinda have to dedicate a portion of your deck to run them and maybe one or two cards are beneficial on their own (Doubling season) but doubt every moving piece will be a fair draw.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Significantly simpler option: any source of repeatable proliferation, such as Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.

Put a counter on Magosi, the Waterveil with its ability, then move the counter to another permanent with Nesting Grounds. Proliferate the counter at end of turn.

On your next turn, move one of the counters on the other permanent to Magosi and activate it, taking an extra turn. Replay it as your land per turn. Proliferate the remaining counter on the other permanent. Repeat as much as you wish.

Only requires skipping one turn to get the initial counter, which makes for easier bookkeeping.

In other news, Eon Frolicker looks hilarious. I don't think it's good - giving an opponent an extra turn has a lot of costs, even if it's hard for them to affect you on it - but it's certainly entertaining. Alternatively: Fractured Identity + Enroll in the Coalition. Or, more realistically, Ugin's Nexus.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

My Giant Fan finally black boarded *happy fan noises*
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Ukkima is the mutate king (queen?).

Bastion of Remembrance is good. Uncommon enchantments are very much my jam this set. (EDIT: Just realized Ominous Seas doesn't sacrifice itself!)
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
4 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago

Giant fan

Mags enters tapped, you need to tap to add the counter and lose a turn and tap to get a turn. Then you have to keep in mind that you can only play 1 land a turn.

Sure Nesting grounds allows you to break mags, but it seem to require way too many pieces. In this situation, you kinda have to dedicate a portion of your deck to run them and maybe one or two cards are beneficial on their own (Doubling season) but doubt every moving piece will be a fair draw.
Those work but this is the way I was thinking:
1.Any effect that creates one additional counter when you create or move a counter around (our and Doubling Season are great).
2. Magosi
3. A land that clones Magosi. Let's just say Vesuva cause it's easiest.
4. Nesting Grounds
5. effect that untaps a land if you want it to go faster

You'd need to wait until both lands were untapped. Put a counter o. Magosi. Move the extra counter to clone Magosi. It gets 2. Untap Magosi, replace the turn you lost, replay Magosi as land for turn. At this point if you can uptap the clone Magosi once you can start the loop. Otherwise you have to wait a normal turn cycle and on your next turn you can move one of the two counters from clone Magosi to Magosi and active clone Magosi for a turn, replaying as land for turn. Each time you move one of the two counters from one of the Magosi to the other one you create 2, then active the Magosi with 1 counter and replay it as you land for turn. You never have to skip a turn to create new Eon counters at that point.

To be fair this is less easy that the current way you break Magosi which just involves Magosi, amulet of vigor, deserted temple and rings of brighthearth.

The suggestion to use Atraxa or any reliable proliferate each turn to tick up Eon counters on Nesting Grounds and feed them to Magosi wash turn.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Kavu Enthusiast wrote:
4 years ago
To be fair this is less easy that the current way you break Magosi which just involves Magosi, amulet of vigor, deserted temple and rings of brighthearth.
To clarify, you only need amulet OR deserted temple (or anything else that can untap a land), plus rings to go infinite with magosi.

With this combo, if you have say karn's bastion you can go infinite with that, magosi, and nesting grounds.

First you need to get a turn counter onto a random land with nesting grounds after skipping a turn. Magosi is on the board and untapped.

Then each turn:
-proliferate the counter with karn's bastion.
-move the extra counter to magosi
-activate magosi to take an extra turn
-replay magosi tapped

so, 3 lands infinite turn combo. I think that might be the first all-lands win-the-game combo.

98 Lands Thrasios/Bruse becomes more overpowered with every passing day!
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I've outlined a combo that fits in perfectly with my Will and Rowan Kenrith deck that uses Magosi, the Waterveil and Deserted Temple already, so Nesting Grounds is an easy fit.
I use it with a Rowan emblem for infinite turns => http://nxs.wf/np72422

DirkGently

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
What is a "multiplayer cycle" anyway? I guess he means "popular in multiplayer"?

There's been a lot of cycles in commander products. By "old" I think we can at least assume 2016 or earlier. Could be a non-commander product but that gets a lot harder to search. If someone else wants to hazard investigation into that, go ahead.

-the "vow" cycle: possible, but they're not really that popular.
-the "join forces" cycle: I really hope not, screw that stupid cycle. The green one is the only one I see very often and it always sucks.
-the "curses" cycle: they've already reimagined that one so...that'd be pretty boring. I guess it's possible though.
-the "tempt" cycle: probably where my money is. Red and green get decent play. Rest see...occasional play. Except white one which is awful. 6 mana for that? holy crap that card sucks. I hate jumping on the "white is trash" bandwagon but sometimes it does seem like wotc really takes a big crap on white. That card should cost, like 3 at most.
-the "lieutenant" cycle: doesn't seem super popular from where i'm sitting, but who knows.
-the "offering" cycle: again, not super popular from what I've see but maybe.
-the "confluence" cycle: pretty strong cycle. This is probably the thing I'm hoping for, and it is pretty popular. But I wouldn't say it's aggressively multiplayer-targeted, it's just a good cycle that happens to be a commander set.
-the "myriad" cycle: definitely muliplayer but I basically never see them.
-the "basic landcycling" cycle: reasonably popular but idk, it just doesn't seem like a super cycle-y cycle if you know what i mean. And 2016 is definitely stretching the definition of "old" in my book.
-the "undaunted" cycle: not popular enough. Really boring cycle tbh. Let's take some existing cards, up the cost by 3, then make them cost 3 less in 4-player games.

I'd say:
1st: tempt
2nd: confluence
3rd: please god don't let it be join forces
I guess at this point we can definitively say that the correct answer was....the VOW CYCLE!!!!

Didn't see that coming. Those are popular? Pretty sure the last time I saw a vow the president was black.

EDIT: verge rangers is some spicy meatballs. Worse CoK but I think that condition will be true 90% of the time.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Kavu Enthusiast
Flavor Police Officer

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
Kavu Enthusiast wrote:
4 years ago
To clarify, you only need amulet OR deserted temple (or anything else that can untap a land), plus rings to go infinite with magosi.

With this combo, if you have say karn's bastion you can go infinite with that, magosi, and nesting grounds.

First you need to get a turn counter onto a random land with nesting grounds after skipping a turn. Magosi is on the board and untapped.

Then each turn:
-proliferate the counter with karn's bastion.
-move the extra counter to magosi
-activate magosi to take an extra turn
-replay magosi tapped

so, 3 lands infinite turn combo. I think that might be the first all-lands win-the-game combo.

98 Lands Thrasios/Bruse becomes more overpowered with every passing day!
3 lands is definitely the hardest thing to stop.

You're going to have to explain how you can do the combo on the turn you drop Magosi with either Amulet or Temple. Rings copies the extra turn ability to get you +1 turn, that's clear.

You could also copy the untap ability from Temple on the stack I suppose. That would allow you to untap, add a counter then untap again to take a counter offer in the same turn. It would just take UU5 Mana to do from sources that aren't Temple or Magosi. After that you replay Magosi for land for turn and only need 1 untap each turn. So Temple checks out, it's 2cmc more without the Amulet the turn you start but sure.

I'm not sure about the Amulet though. It untaps Magosi as it comes into play but that's a trigger so you can copy it with Rings. You get an untapped Magosi and then you can skip your next turn normally. Your next normal turn you untap, create two extra turns, replay Magosi untapped and skip one of the extra turns. At that point you can loop turns. The problem is while this is technically possible you cant get this done the turn you start with the first Magosi activation. You have to give your opponent 2 entire turns *each* with full knowledge of what you're trying to do. The only way you win is if they just ignore you that entire time and then also don't remove Rings or Amulet. Just me but if if it's technically possible to get the loop going that way I wouldn't really consider it possible if it requires the entire table be very very bad players just letting it happen when they all have 2 turn cycles, during which you get no turn, to stop you.

DirkGently

You can't combo instantly but once you're set up you're good to go. Could be the same turn you drop amulet and/or rings. You just need the counter on magosi to get going.

start the turn with magosi with a counter on it. 0 turns remaining.
(play amulet or rings now if necessary)
tap magosi, return counter, and bounce for the extra turn.
copy extra turn with rings. 2 turns remaining.
play magosi as land for the turn.
amulet triggers and untaps magosi.
tap magosi for the counter, skipping next turn. 1 turn remaining.

Enter next turn with magosi untapped with a counter on it and 0 turns remaining. Repeat.

EDIT: btw you can't copy amulet's ability with rings, it's triggered not activated.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

I wonder what the rational was for putting the move counters ability on a land.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”