[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
My wife stays at home and watches our 2yo normally, so we are fortunate in that regards. But now the 12yo is doing the whole school from home thing, so it's an additional challenge keeping the younger one away during the elder's online schooling. I can't imagine what you're going through MZD, two is plenty for me. And that's with one old enough to entertain herself and help with the younger!
Our 8y/o homeschools taught by my wife, and the 3y/o and 2y/o are underfoot the whole time, so I totally get the schooling challenge with little ones interfering. We love 'em to pieces and both my wife and I always wanted 3+ kids, so we're not unhappy with the situation by any means. It's just a LOT, especially when we're all stuck home. Really the only change is that I'm not going to work and our 14y/o is not going to school, so there are more bodies and less space at home.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
My wife and I talked about this and I don't think we want to play a zone defense with kids. I think two is our max.
Fair point. The real secret, no matter how many kids you have, is leveraging what you have available to create healthy boundaries. Unfortunately, too many parents do this the unhealthy way with mass amounts of screen time (we're so guilty of this sometimes) to keep the kids busy and catch a break. The better way to do it is with projects that interest them, outdoors time (fenced in backyard and a park nearby are lifesavers), and divide and conquer tactics. Our 8y/o is the hyper extrovert plopped in the middle of our family full of introverts, and he drains us all so quickly with his energy, *cooooooooonstant* talking, and short attention span. He's quite literally incapable of remaining silent for longer than 20 seconds, through no fault of his own. He's a great kid, but if we don't get him busy with something, playing outside, or isolated with one parent and not the other on a regular basis, we'd all go insane. Fortunately, I started teaching him pauper cube around Thanksgiving and got him a commander deck for Christmas, and the bug has bitten him big time, so I can give his mom a big break by pulling him downstairs for a chunk of time to do a grid draft or jam some EDH :cool:
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

cryogen
GΘΔ†
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

That sounds like our 2yo (except without the Magic... yet). She has only three modes: tons of energy, cranky because she is tired, and asleep. Unfortunately she isn't quite at the age where she can be trusted to be left alone for any amount of time.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Well I played some more online Commander last night. Had a good time, and got all of of the technical glitches worked out with the exception of my microphone didn't pick up sound on the Twitch stream (but it was working over Discord).
Do you have a mic source in your OBS scene for it and whatnot?
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Damn I am missing some Commander. I only managed to play every couple of weeks anyway, but dammit I am jonesing. I'm tweaking one of my favorite decks, and now it's going to be forever until I can put it through its paces. I'm like Paula Cole with how I don't wanna wait.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 4 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Damn I am missing some Commander. I only managed to play every couple of weeks anyway, but dammit I am jonesing. I'm tweaking one of my favorite decks, and now it's going to be forever until I can put it through its paces. I'm like Paula Cole with how I don't wanna wait.
I was playing at least 2 nights a week, sometimes more. Now its down to just my girlfriend and I playing occasionally and honestly, its driving me away from playing, so instead I've brewed up 2 decks and will be working on a 3rd this weekend. I have debated seeing if some friends want to get together this weekend (theres no cases of the virus in our county yet) just to get the bug out of my system.

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

Yeah, my group finally got me to cave and build a budget list, and that's out the window now.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 4 years ago

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, my group finally got me to cave and build a budget list, and that's out the window now.
I had a feeling my group was getting to that point so I built Vaevictus. I have the second most expensive deck in my play group and one of the most consistent ones that doesn't run any proxies. Luckily I was able to build just out of my collection, but I have cards on order for an Urza deck that hopefully don't have any issues. When all of this started I was admittedly a little dismissive of it all, but I think the general fear and buyout of stores is what worries me more than the actual virus.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Someone on Twitter joked that in nine months the only babies we will see being born are to first time parents.
And then in like 2033 or so, we'll see the rise of the Quaranteens!

/TerribleFBJoke
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 4 years ago

I survived the symptoms without the need for hospitalization, although barely.

To those who think that our current measure are extreme or unnecessary: Don't let your hubris blind you. There are a lot of people who thought they could avoid or ignore what is happening only to catch the virus themselves.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

plushpenguin wrote:
4 years ago

To those who think that our current measure are extreme or unnecessary: Don't let your hubris blind you. There are a lot of people who thought they could avoid or ignore what is happening only to catch the virus themselves.
Glad you're ok plush, that must have been scary.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
Thank god that here in Greece, we closed schools too early and we imposed a lockdown earlier than most. I teach so I'm off for the last two weeks. Been trying to use the official ministry e-tools for teaching and assignment sharing but they were never designed with this situation in mind and they are off all the time. Never expected to say this but I miss going to work!
Did you see that Neil Gaiman has given blanket use for all his material to be used by educators? Pretty cool.
Yeah that's neat. I wish they were readily available in Greek!
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Well I played some more online Commander last night. Had a good time, and got all of of the technical glitches worked out with the exception of my microphone didn't pick up sound on the Twitch stream (but it was working over Discord).
Do you have a mic source in your OBS scene for it and whatnot?
Yeah that's what it was. I forgot to add it.
Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Someone on Twitter joked that in nine months the only babies we will see being born are to first time parents.
And then in like 2033 or so, we'll see the rise of the Quaranteens!

/TerribleFBJoke
I chuckled.
plushpenguin wrote:
4 years ago

Oh no! Glad you're doing better though.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Played again last with Kaburi, Wildfire, and Ulka in a game that somehow managed to last three hours (I blame the 10 board wipes). I was testing out my new Marisi deck, which surprisingly needs creatures to do anything productive. Ulka has Kynaios & Tiro, Wildfire had flipwalker Nicol Bolas, and Kaburi had his Gideon tribal Kytheon deck.

Our Twitch channel is set up so if you want to watch the replay, its here:

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Ah yes, the good old 3 hour commander game. Almost always preceded by the innocent comment, "I've got 90 minutes, more than enough time!"
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Managed to get a few games in on Cockatrice last night, mostly to bring myself up to speed on how it works since I last used it nearly a decade ago. I'm theoretically up for games with folks from here, and can voice chat on Discord as well if that's your jam.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Played again last with Kaburi, Wildfire, and Ulka in a game that somehow managed to last three hours (I blame the 10 board wipes). I was testing out my new Marisi deck, which surprisingly needs creatures to do anything productive. Ulka has Kynaios & Tiro, Wildfire had flipwalker Nicol Bolas, and Kaburi had his Gideon tribal Kytheon deck.

Our Twitch channel is set up so if you want to watch the replay, its here:
It was such a good game, there was lots of swinging but still went for 3 hours. Also holy I never expected to keep bolas from flipping that long.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

So, apparently one of the flatmates a floor below us got diagnosed with that Corona crap. :cussing:
Quite luckily it was pure coincidence when his doctor pointed out his symptoms during an unrelated check up that was planned months ago. His vital signs appear to be stellar for someone infected, none of his roomies tested positive and all of them were in voluntary quarantine lately. A lot of people dodged a bullet right there.
For the next few weeks we'll be extra careful and help them out with grocery shopping.

Enjoy your Safe Havens folks and stay healthy. Especially crossing my fingers for you north american guys/gals/etc.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
Especially crossing my fingers for you north american guys/gals/etc.
Yeah, thanks. :? :poop: :fuming:
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

toctheyounger

So with the country in lockdown, I now finally have time to get all of my lists up on nexus. It's still a bit finicky working around working from home remotely but getting there nonetheless. Silver linings, I guess.

4 to go :x - 2 vorthos builds, Yidris and Ur-Dragon, and 2 normal builds, Korvold and Sneaky Purphoros - the sneaquel.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
So with the country in lockdown, I now finally have time to get all of my lists up on nexus. It's still a bit finicky working around working from home remotely but getting there nonetheless. Silver linings, I guess.

4 to go :x - 2 vorthos builds, Yidris and Ur-Dragon, and 2 normal builds, Korvold and Sneaky Purphoros - the sneaquel.
I am actually feeling the opposite :) While I already work from home, I haven't gone to the gym or done anything after work since the current shelter went into place. So, I have a bunch of free time and haven't wanted to touch any of my cards since I can't play with them :( Man, I can't wait for this to all be done so I can try out my new Xenagos list.

But, that is a decent use of your time either way. Some of that stuff just takes a bunch of effort to make things look good so good on you for taking the time. I have been wanting to go back and give some of my lists a little more substance. I am not sure I care about Primer status for them but some of yours seem like a good middle ground.

toctheyounger

WizardMN wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

I am actually feeling the opposite :) While I already work from home, I haven't gone to the gym or done anything after work since the current shelter went into place. So, I have a bunch of free time and haven't wanted to touch any of my cards since I can't play with them :( Man, I can't wait for this to all be done so I can try out my new Xenagos list.

But, that is a decent use of your time either way. Some of that stuff just takes a bunch of effort to make things look good so good on you for taking the time. I have been wanting to go back and give some of my lists a little more substance. I am not sure I care about Primer status for them but some of yours seem like a good middle ground.
I'm missing the gym too. I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm doing for a bodyweight/calisthenics workout, but it's not the same.

I'm definitely not looking for anymore primers at present - it's a lot of work, especially when you don't get to play regularly. I like having the lists nice enough to look a little pretty and be able to be easily digested on a webpage, and it's easier here on Nexus than it ever was on Salvation. Mostly though it's having a current documentation of them. I like my lists to be as much a think tank for the deck as they are anything else; I just find it easier to fine tune a list and decide what I want to do with it when I'm documenting games and changes over time.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I like having the lists nice enough to look a little pretty and be able to be easily digested on a webpage, and it's easier here on Nexus than it ever was on Salvation. Mostly though it's having a current documentation of them. I like my lists to be as much a think tank for the deck as they are anything else; I just find it easier to fine tune a list and decide what I want to do with it when I'm documenting games and changes over time.
I agree with things looking nice. When I do look at threads on Salvation it is like night and day with how much more polished things look here (depending on the work someone did). So many different features @Feyd_Ruin has implemented have been really nice.

I agree with you there. It is why I put up my list of Xenagos so early. It is always nice to see records of the deck's performance and it generally drives the conversation(s) towards or away from certain cards as well as everyone can see what things are doing. Your Varina deck is a testament to that :)

toctheyounger

WizardMN wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I like having the lists nice enough to look a little pretty and be able to be easily digested on a webpage, and it's easier here on Nexus than it ever was on Salvation. Mostly though it's having a current documentation of them. I like my lists to be as much a think tank for the deck as they are anything else; I just find it easier to fine tune a list and decide what I want to do with it when I'm documenting games and changes over time.
I agree with things looking nice. When I do look at threads on Salvation it is like night and day with how much more polished things look here (depending on the work someone did). So many different features Feyd_Ruin has implemented have been really nice.

I agree with you there. It is why I put up my list of Xenagos so early. It is always nice to see records of the deck's performance and it generally drives the conversation(s) towards or away from certain cards as well as everyone can see what things are doing. Your Varina deck is a testament to that :)
Feyd has done a stellar job. It's easy to make stuff look good, the coding is a lot easier and the end results are worth the effort.

Yeah, Varina is a great example. That thread has done a lot of work, just in terms of talking back and forth over inclusions and strategies. I've found it incredibly useful, and it seems like it's been useful for others too. It's died down a little of late, but I've been super busy, and then the apocalypse happened, so there we are.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

I finally decided to support the Local Game Stores in my area during this lockdown period. Managed to pick up a few cards for EDH / Commander that I was looking for which totaled up to $30. I was also working on a Pioneer deck as a side project though I might just tear the deck apart If the economy worsens due to the Stay-at-Home order by the CDC. Other than that I'm actually less excited about Ikoria and the upcoming 2020 Commander products than I was initially.

Ikoria's more than likely going to be the worst selling Standard set since Fallen Empires due to the pandemic as the Godzilla Box-Toppers came right out of left field even though it DOES tie into Ikoria being Kaiju themed. Guess they couldn't distribute and manufacture the Godzilla promotion similar to what they did with My Little Pony and Transformers though at this point why would they when everyone's quarantined for a month?
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”