Experiment Kraj, the Blank Canvas - [s]15[/s] 35tix

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Sometimes people ask me why I don't play U, and I always make a joke about "when 3drinks plays U, nobody wins". Then I remembered I had this deck on MODO that I built for 15tix to shoot the crap with my younger step brother for a bit. I call it the ultimate blank canvas deck, because no two games are ever the same, aside from the win con, which typically is Simic Ascendancy or Hadena's Climb (if I wanted a voltron win). Sometimes you can loop with Trike, an untap effect, and Illusionist's Bracers but as you can see, this is a four card loop so better to go with the lattre two if you're trying to be efficient, yeah? Or, y'know, something entirely different because this deck doesn't aim for the ruthless efficiency of my typical Mardu flavoured decks as much as general mucking around.

Obviously there's lots of power changes I could make, but that's not the point of this. Obviously there's better commanders, but the giant purple ooze has become synonymous among those close to me, because of the engine I can turn this guy into. The obvious comparison would be Volrath, the Shapestealer right? But even then that's just not quite what I'm trying for here. Anyway, here's the deck, "sideboard" pieces are a small handful of cards I can slot in and out pending meta. And yes, my beloved Steel Sabotage still has a role here because ofc I'm gonna justify that card anywhere colour permitting. Cheap cost, hilarious result.

I'm really just posting this so I have a convienent place to hold and monitor this deck from these boards.

Kraj' Blank Canvas

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Deckstats: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/experiment-kraj-15tix/
Last edited by 3drinks 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Tags:

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

3drinks

I knew there was a reason I wanted wickerbough elder. I talked myself out of it, prior to seeing devoted druid had unspiked it's price. Crazy how much that one card ties into a thousand other things.

I've even got most of those things, pili pala being the obvious odd man out. I really liked Gyre Sage in Goreclaw, and I'd use him here if he wasn't like 3 tix. Dont know why he's 3tix, he's not used anywhere iirc.

Do we still use Experiment One @Feyd_Ruin? Or isn't Molting Skin superior in most ways?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

I couldn't tell you much about what's popular (beyond looking at EDHREC, etc, like anyone could).

Experiment One and Molting Skin are nice in that they don't need open mana, but I honestly don't care for either as a protection source personally. If your meta is mass-destruction prevalent, then Skin might be needed, but I'm not generally a fan normally. To protect Kraj, I'd either want hexproof ( Barkhide Troll ) or offer regeneration-style protection in addition to other utility ( Yavimaya Hollow & Crab Umbra ). I'd definitely add Hollow regardless, since its only $0.04 tix.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

3drinks

Yeah, hexproof over regen is a trend I noticed being more useful too. Idk how I didn't think to look for Hollow, probably because the paper card is like $40 lol. And, the phasing out of regen is happening for a reason anyway - both hexproof is better, and indestructible is like a constant "0: regenerate" shield on the creature.

I need more one drop dorks and cheap ramp to run smoother. Since I'm playing in multiplayer, I actually have the chance to use Survival and sol ring/mana crypt, so that should happen. Trop, wood elves, three visits/nature's lore. Geez, these are pricier than I'd like to buy in with, I need to draw the line somewhere.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Welp, guess it's gonna be 35tix now.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Welp, I've gone and assembled the full doomsday machine.

- Untap for 1, Tap to untap three lands (unlimited mana, and unlimited untaps).
- Draw my library (in groups of three, although enclave cryptologist works just as well here).
- Take unlimited turns with my untaps and Sage of Hours.

I...really don't like this direction, tbh. Kraj was supposed to be my blank canvas deck...now with this right in front of me..........sigh.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

It's wierd, but after assembling that screen grab in the prior post and so easily, I'm kinda just...over Kraj. I want to move on to something I haven't mastered yet. Like Grothama, or something. That's a much more interesting deck, but I really don't want to get into the spiral of buying into new decks everytime the Kraj effect happens.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Most recent edit, when I slipped another 20tix into the pool.
Experiment Kraj - 35tix

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Deckstats: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/experiment-kraj-35tix/

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”