[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle
Pronoun: he / him

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
You can now go into the User Control Panel and give yourself a custom title!
Not long enough for "Turtles all the way down" so it looks like I have to think of a new title.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
A friend of mine let me borrow his recurring Nightmare playmat so I can use it in a game with Sheldon at gencon. He also wants to get it signed by all four members of the rules committee.
That would be so cool, I read the article that was posted on the mothership and just being bale to draft that cube and KEEP what you draft :pokerface:
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
You can now go into the User Control Panel and give yourself a custom title!
*goes off to post Commander Cube isn't real commander"
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Needs more character space 👀👀

But yes, thank you!

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Yatsufusa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Yatsufusa » 4 years ago

I've been passing by on occasion and I'm actually wondering...

Is there a Commander Decklist Database over here, or a function that emulates it? One of the best things was simply being able to view all threads of a given Commander in a single page / listing (and pure search usually yields a lot of extras than preferred).

I noticed how handy the tagging system is... I wonder if it's possible to have Commander Names as tags so by clicking on it you basically get all threads featuring said Commander decklists...

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Yatsufusa wrote:
4 years ago
I've been passing by on occasion and I'm actually wondering...

Is there a Commander Decklist Database over here, or a function that emulates it? One of the best things was simply being able to view all threads of a given Commander in a single page / listing (and pure search usually yields a lot of extras than preferred).

I noticed how handy the tagging system is... I wonder if it's possible to have Commander Names as tags so by clicking on it you basically get all threads featuring said Commander decklists...
Not yet, but I'm sure we can work something out. As for tagging, my only concern with that is since it's all one dropdown box, you would be looking at a list over 900 long.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

I never got into these. I tried the first and it was just a bit too cute for me. Sort of read like a Sookie Stackhouse novel, which isn't the worst thing ever, but I found it a little disappointing. Maybe they get better though. For now Joe Abercrombie is my jam, on the last book of the First Law trilogy at present.
They are definitely a bit more out there. They seem to start within a constraint of rules and set up an interesting kind of fantasy detective genre... but then the author lets you know that this is still absolutely light hearted and not to be taken seriously, and shatters whatever suspense of disbelief you have. But it all ends up in good fun.

Any specific books of his to recommend? I'd be willing to try one.
Yeah, I got that pretty casual vibe. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it at the time.

This is the first series I've read of Abercrombie's. The first is called 'The Blade Itself'. They're great books and really well written, but it is definitely grimdark fantasy, so reasonably violent and dark. Still funny though, strangely enough. Definitely worth a look if you haven't read him so far.
I'll second the recommendation for The First Law trilogy. Joe Abercrombie is definitely grimdark fantasy but the humor in it is incredibly on point and the plot is well paced. I highly recommend it.

Especially in comparison to a certain high fantasy epic that Toc likes... I tried picking up the first book in the Malazan cycle again, Toc, and I still couldn't get into it. Fight me.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago

They are definitely a bit more out there. They seem to start within a constraint of rules and set up an interesting kind of fantasy detective genre... but then the author lets you know that this is still absolutely light hearted and not to be taken seriously, and shatters whatever suspense of disbelief you have. But it all ends up in good fun.

Any specific books of his to recommend? I'd be willing to try one.
Yeah, I got that pretty casual vibe. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it at the time.

This is the first series I've read of Abercrombie's. The first is called 'The Blade Itself'. They're great books and really well written, but it is definitely grimdark fantasy, so reasonably violent and dark. Still funny though, strangely enough. Definitely worth a look if you haven't read him so far.
I'll second the recommendation for The First Law trilogy. Joe Abercrombie is definitely grimdark fantasy but the humor in it is incredibly on point and the plot is well paced. I highly recommend it.

Especially in comparison to a certain high fantasy epic that Toc likes... I tried picking up the first book in the Malazan cycle again, Toc, and I still couldn't get into it. Fight me.
Apples and oranges, honestly. The scope of Malayan is totally different, and it's not for everyone. I love how deep down the rabbit hole Malayan goes, and some of the characters are great but it's far from perfect. It's a divisive story, people either get it or not. Part of that is being able to relinquish control and just say 'I have no idea what's going on, but that's ok, I'll enjoy the ride'. Some people can't and that's fine.

But yeah, Abercrombie. Relatable, awesome grimdark fantasy. Glokta May be one of my favourite characters I've ever read.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

t0rture_d0ct0r
Not an actual doctor.

Post by t0rture_d0ct0r » 4 years ago

Yatsufusa wrote:
4 years ago
That would be great, especially for people looking to upgrade pre-cons similar to the r/EDH subreddit with Windgrace.

Yatsufusa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Yatsufusa » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Not yet, but I'm sure we can work something out. As for tagging, my only concern with that is since it's all one dropdown box, you would be looking at a list over 900 long.
Fair point, I've not created a thread here yet, but I can imagine the dropdown list. Is it technically possible to have a separate tagging system/dropdown list for it accompanying the regular one? That list still be miles long, but at least it wouldn't clutter with the other tags so those who don't wish to use it won't get annoyed trying to find their normal tags, while I suppose anyone who does use it will just have to get used to the sheer availability of Commander choices we have anyway.

Apologies if it sounded a bit "demanding/armchair-ish" because I did simply just shoot the idea out with no idea of its potential complicity to implement (for all I know it's a nightmare to code or it's outright impossible) and I feel a bit bad for just shooting a suggestion without delving into those complications (nor the time and capacity to do so), but I've also seen the required effort to upkeep the database back at Salvation and in all honesty, can imagine how much less future-work it would be if it was sort-of-implemented in the forum systems by default.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Seeing how this is a deep-level conceptual chat, I was once stuck making a visualisation app where I had to give the user an option to display the levels of 20-odd thousand different things. A conventional dropdown was out of the equation. The thing I was making it in supported a rather smart system where you could type in some letters and it would match it against the stuff to display, creating a smaller dropdown on the fly to select from. Think EDHREC's search box. I have no idea whether this sort of solution is even possible on the boards, but if it is it'd be quite handy to create a separate commander-tagging (and browsing?) system via this?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Hermes_

I got one of the folks I follow on twitter to become a beta reader for me..meanwhile cryo ignores me on twitter...

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
I got one of the folks I follow on twitter to become a beta reader for me..meanwhile cryo ignores me on twitter...
No I don't?

Hermes_

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
No I don't?
You don't like my tweets? isn't how it works :hmm: and you aren't following me lol

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

I'll have to look up a few of you on twitter. :nerd:

Hermes_

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
I'll have to look up a few of you on twitter. :nerd:
https://twitter.com/trappedslider :please:

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

Omg, First Law trilogy is my absolute favorite!!! If you guys haven't, I 100% recommend picking up the standalone novels for the series as well (Best Served Cold, Red Country, and the Heroes), they're all great. Hands down my favorite author. Sharp Edges is also decent, but that mostly depends on whether or not short stories are your thing. They do all take place within the same world, and are canon, but I get that it's not for everyone.

He has a sequel series that takes place in universe that comes out in September. ^.^ He also has a YA series (Shattered Sea?) that's decent, though a bit tamer. Still dark, but not nearly on the same level.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
No I don't?
You don't like my tweets? isn't how it works :hmm: and you aren't following me lol
Well we will have to fix that.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Well I'm packing up to drive to Gencon. Please don't burn the place down in my absence, you'll make [mention]Airi[/mention] i and [mention]benjameenbear[/mention] cry.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

https://twitter.com/toshironerdkult

I hope you have a tolerance for german tweets - or the ability to develop one, for the sake of enjoying my english ones...

toctheyounger

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
Omg, First Law trilogy is my absolute favorite!!! If you guys haven't, I 100% recommend picking up the standalone novels for the series as well (Best Served Cold, Red Country, and the Heroes), they're all great. Hands down my favorite author. Sharp Edges is also decent, but that mostly depends on whether or not short stories are your thing. They do all take place within the same world, and are canon, but I get that it's not for everyone.

He has a sequel series that takes place in universe that comes out in September. ^.^ He also has a YA series (Shattered Sea?) that's decent, though a bit tamer. Still dark, but not nearly on the same level.
Yep, most of these are on my TBR list. He's an excellent writer of relatable characters and engaging dialogue. I've read other grimdark and been super disappointed, so it's nice to know there's some excellent authors in the genre. He's everything Mark Lawrence wishes he was. Considering how much I got recommended Lawrence I was really underwhelmed with his stuff. Abercrombie I was sold with almost straight away though, he really is excellent.

Steven Erikson is my favourite author in modern fantasy, but as I've mentioned it's not for everyone. There's no dipping your toe, you get thrown in the deep end. Dozens of characters and not a clue what's going on, it's easy to tune out if it's not your jam. I've read his main series several times though, it's just so epic.

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

R. Scott Baker is personally my favorite grimdark author, because the Second Apocalypse (pending completion of the final series, of course) is fantastic. I do really like Lawrence though. He's less... grimdark but his books are entertaining to me none the less. There's a ton of promising authors breaking in to the genre though, which is fantastic for me. :D

I'm still working my way through Malazan. I've read harder books, but military fantasy is usually a bit dry for me. I'm having a harder time embracing it than I did something like the Black Company. I will eventually conquer the series though!

toctheyounger

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
R. Scott Baker is personally my favorite grimdark author, because the Second Apocalypse (pending completion of the final series, of course) is fantastic. I do really like Lawrence though. He's less... grimdark but his books are entertaining to me none the less. There's a ton of promising authors breaking in to the genre though, which is fantastic for me. :D

I'm still working my way through Malazan. I've read harder books, but military fantasy is usually a bit dry for me. I'm having a harder time embracing it than I did something like the Black Company. I will eventually conquer the series though!
I've heard good things about Bakker. I've also heard it doesn't get much grimmer or darker, but that doesn't bother me overly. Lawrence....sigh....it just read really juvenile and predictable to me, I hated the series I read. It's like he was trying to cram in your face how dark the content was, and it had the opposite effect for me, it just made the whole series seem contrived and lame. There's plenty of cool authors in the genre otherwise though - I really enjoyed Brian McLellan's Powder Mage series, and I've heard great things about Anna Smith Spark.

Agreed, there's a real art to military fantasy. Erikson gets it mostly right, but there are better authors at battle sequences. While it isn't strictly military fantasy, Bernard Cornwell is excellent at it. I'd highly recommend the Winter King series, it's stunningly good. Based on the Arthurian mythos, but with lots of pagan overtones, and some of the best written battle sequences ever.

I still need to give Black Company a go, it's hard to find here in NZ, our bookstores suck.

Hermes_

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
https://twitter.com/toshironerdkult

I hope you have a tolerance for german tweets - or the ability to develop one, for the sake of enjoying my english ones...
I wondered who it was...

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

If anyone is very interested in twitter follower numbers I'll follow you, but I just checked and my last tweet was in 2012 so it's unlikely I'd ever actually interact.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Well gencon is.... interesting. Gotten in games with Sheldon, Toby, and Scott. Toby is insanely fun to play against, and perfectly tly embodies the spirit of edh.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”