[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

After you watch the jumbo video I posted and look at Hermes' deck, laugh at this meme. I'm sure that I'm not the only commander player that can relate.

https://images.app.goo.gl/4mhQN3Qe6SwejA5q7

Edit: no idea why I can't make img or image tags work here.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
After you watch the jumbo video I posted and look at Hermes' deck, laugh at this meme. I'm sure that I'm not the only commander player that can relate.

https://images.app.goo.gl/4mhQN3Qe6SwejA5q7

Edit: no idea why I can't make img or image tags work here.
I've seen that on FB lol

I didn't know that the deck tag counted Windswept Heath as green, i clicked on the charts and then color,and it says 5.7 of my deck is green :thinking:
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

You need to track down an actual image file in a website, yours is a link to some sort of Google wrapper thing. Also preferably reupload it to imgur or some other dedicated image hosting website.

"Image"

That said, relatable content. I live alone and work remote a lot, so the perspective of a quarantine is not super daunting on a surface level. That said, I do kind of depend on seeing flesh people for social purposes every now and then. Also, I am currently mortified by the perspective of not getting to go home for Easter.

As for the DJ video, he brings up reasonable surface level points. However, I have trouble taking the man seriously when he talks about threat assessment, given documented evidence of him repeatedly misplaying like a scrub on Game Knights.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Tbf, he says get good at it, not that he's any good at it. Subtle yet important difference.

Also I've been playing for twenty years and still misplay like a scrub on occasion, so I'm not gonna hold that against anyone.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

Yeah, I'd agree that this video has decent surface level points. The variance point--risk/reward--part has a little less to do about winning more games of Magic technically speaking, but it does seem to make games more fun. Which, in it's own way, is winning enough for me.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Y'all should check out this jumbo commander video. I'm generally not a fan of listicles and "Top 5/10/500" style videos, but this is quality stuff and someone probably needs to hear it. #1 makes me think he's been reading pokken posts :cool:
Hmmmm. I mean it's not rocket science or anything I guess but nice to see people saying this more. It's been lost a lot in advice that's just "slam all the 2-drop ramp!!!"

edit: He also called out gamble in a suspiciously @DirkGently like way. If people are trolling ideas for content from forums I hope they have the decency to cite their sources. It's totally possible to come to these ideas separately of course, but the Gamble thing after Dirk's thread on Gamble kinda jumped out at me.

MeowZeDung

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Y'all should check out this jumbo commander video. I'm generally not a fan of listicles and "Top 5/10/500" style videos, but this is quality stuff and someone probably needs to hear it. #1 makes me think he's been reading pokken posts :cool:
Hmmmm. I mean it's not rocket science or anything I guess but nice to see people saying this more. It's been lost a lot in advice that's just "slam all the 2-drop ramp!!!"

edit: He also called out gamble in a suspiciously DirkGently like way. If people are trolling ideas for content from forums I hope they have the decency to cite their sources. It's totally possible to come to these ideas separately of course, but the Gamble thing after Dirk's thread on Gamble kinda jumped out at me.
Hmmmm.... you aren't wrong...

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Just got the email I've been expecting all week telling me to work from home for the foreseeable future.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

They're debating doing that at my work, for the office at least. Can't really have the manufacturing part of the building work from home, but they might send the rest of us away to minimize how many people are on site who can potentially be sick.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Pretty much what happened for us. We have a decent number of people working in labs who are still going to be there, but anything that isn't considered business critical is getting delayed and anyone who can work from home is doing that. Both of the school districts around here are kicking off three week spring breaks Monday too.

edit: I'm also learning that our VPN infrastructure is probably not designed with the entire company using it at once in mind, which may make this a very unproductive couple weeks.

Segrus

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
I'm also learning that our VPN infrastructure is probably not designed with the entire company using it at once in mind, which may make this a very unproductive couple weeks.
Probably didn't want to invest money for a situation they never thought would occur. That does make my wonder about my company's plan...so far it's been the casual "don't come in if you're sick" and the tell-tale silence on any additional planning for if stuff turns for the worse.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

My company is still pretty silent. They've sent out one message about an update on planning/preparation "soon", but there's a big company-wide quarterly meeting next Wednesday (where there are typically a ton of people in one room twice that day) and I wonder if they're going to try to still make that happen.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

My group chose to hold an emergency coronavirus meeting today. In person. I chose to dial in :P It was mostly picking the sacrificial lambs who'll have to keep crawling into the lab and keeping stuff going, with an official backup system in case someone goes down. I kid you not. Meanwhile, I sat on my couch with VPN turned on, like I had done countless times before. Workwise, I'll be fully unaffected. I'm not a fan of the interpersonal repercussions though. Seeing flesh people every now and then is nice.

The UK is trailing behind on stuff, with ~800 official cases by now and the harshest measure being "if you're coughing, stay at home". Wuhan shut down at 400 and it took them two months of complete lockdown to get the situation back down under control. Things are going to get ugly. I've been working remotely even more than usual (the thought of hundreds of people swarming around the cafeteria gives me the creeps right now), and have now entered self-imposed lockdown mode where I foray out to the shops once every few days and that's that. I'm not personally concerned as to my mortality in this epidemic, but apparently I have a major phobia of societal collapse. You learn something new about yourself all the time.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

MeowZeDung

Yeah, being a young and healthy guy with a young healthy family, I don't personally fear the virus. If anything, I fear the panic and resultant outcomes of that panic. I just got back from the store where there was 0 toilet paper left, and there are no nearby cases that I've heard of. People are nuts. No problem getting milk, bread, rice, and other staples though.

Hermes_

Fetches are going to be reprinted....

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
That's so fetch.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Hermes_

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
That's so fetch.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-03-13
But, really, it's so we could use the headline "Making Fetch Happen," because all the best jokes reference 2004.[/quote

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

I'm a pharmacist at a regional grocery chain, and I've had a front row seat for all of the hysterical panic buying. People are ridiculous. Another big supermarket chain announced that they'll be closing at 8pm for a while. That would be awesome to get off an hour early. I hope mine does that.

And fetchlands. Such a non-starter for me, despite my needing (well, wanting) enemy fetches for ages now.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

MeowZeDung

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
I'm a pharmacist at a regional grocery chain, and I've had a front row seat for all of the hysterical panic buying. People are ridiculous.
Yeah. The TP in particular boggles the mind. Basically, a handful of people thought to themselves, "I'm going to be home for 2-4 weeks, better buy 30 weeks supply of TP!". Then some other people saw it and thought "OH CRAP! I better get a bunch before it's gone!", and the avalanche picked up momentum from there. No one stopped to think for a minute that TP is probably the last thing to really worry about in this situation. Take care of any elderly family and friends, and be safe y'all.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
I'm a pharmacist at a regional grocery chain, and I've had a front row seat for all of the hysterical panic buying. People are ridiculous.
Yeah. The TP in particular boggles the mind. Basically, a handful of people thought to themselves, "I'm going to be home for 2-4 weeks, better buy 30 weeks supply of TP!". Then some other people saw it and thought "OH CRAP! I better get a bunch before it's gone!", and the avalanche picked up momentum from there. No one stopped to think for a minute that TP is probably the last thing to really worry about in this situation. Take care of any elderly family and friends, and be safe y'all.
That's exactly what happened, but it was especially busy on Thursday because that was the day they announced that all the schools in Maryland would be closed for two weeks. I feel bad for anyone who was just low on TP and wanted to just buy a pack like a normal person.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

MeowZeDung

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
I feel bad for anyone who was just low on TP and wanted to just buy a pack like a normal person.
My wife had gone shopping on Tuesday and bought our normal monthly TP allotment along with all the normal groceries, thankfully. I went yesterday just to get a few items and was just flabbergasted when I saw that aisle. Northern KY also had school closure announcements Wednesday and Thursday, so you're right that is probably what triggered it.

Frankly, I'm amazed there wasn't a run on beer and cigarettes given the irrationality of it all. Weird world we live in.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Personally I'm stocking up on Everclear. At 190 proof it pulls double duty.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Segrus

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
My wife had gone shopping on Tuesday and bought our normal monthly TP allotment along with all the normal groceries, thankfully.
This is pretty much what we did/do. Just got normal supply of stuff like we always do, it's just that this time there was run on things soon after.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

We went grocery shopping this morning and picked up a little extra, but that has more to do with the fact that we typically only buy for 3-5 days at a time due to kitchen size than panic. Shelves were completely bare for a few things (eggs, pasta, potatoes, TP) and light on a bunch more. I did try and do some grocery shopping midday yesterday and gave up after seeing the crowds at two places. That was the day following school closure announcements, which may have had something to do with it.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Frankly, I'm amazed there wasn't a run on beer and cigarettes given the irrationality of it all. Weird world we live in.
Funny thing. In the supermarket closest to my flat they were out of stock of condoms and you were able to spot the cheaper red wines by the gap in the shelves.

"Might as well hump and drink all day, because we gotta stay home anyways, eh?"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”