[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Sanity_Eclipse
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

The Mandolorian is worth checking out, for what it's worth. While I was never as big into Star Wars as others, it was a story experience, at least. Mando is definitely worth checking out, as a more modern, updated storytelling take on the franchise.
-----
On a different note, I like putting in ~55 hours a week while technically being a part-time and non-salaried manager. /s
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah I can't believe I missed Starman. My excuse is that I was overwhelmed with the process of discovering all this music and I accidentally left it off the list. Ha ha. Starlight brigade will also be added to the list. Now I'm off to see if I can find a reggae song or two with a science fiction theme.🙂
Since you have Gary Numan on there, check out Praying to the Aliens from his previous album (done under the name Tubeway Army before he went solo).
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
4 years ago
-----
On a different note, I like putting in ~55 hours a week while technically being a part-time and non-salaried manager. /s
I did that at UPS for a time. To be fair, I was pretty well compensated and had benefits, so the part time designation was pretty meaningless.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Are y'all MST3K fans then?
Yes, for the most part. I don't know if I enjoyed the Netflix reboot as much as I wanted to, but it wasn't bad. I fairly regularly watch crappy horror films and make fun of them.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

I can't remember any other context, but there was one bad 70's college-kids-partying-on-the-beach type movie they watched, and when a baaaaaadly coreographed and acted dance scene began one of the robots said "Everybody do 'The Dork!'" and I just lost it. It definitely had some gems.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

I just got home from being in the hospital. What happened was I went for a normal thing,and during coming out being knocked out my Oxygen tanked,so had that my lung collapsed,so i had to have a chest tube put in,along with being air lifted to lubbock tx (3 -4 hours away)
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

So, over the weekend i got to play 6 rounds of EDH, winning 4/6, which was awesome. I also got to a few conclusions:
  • Brago, King Eternal will get an overhaul. It's working flawlessly, but i want to cut down to as few creatures as possible and dig further into the enchantments and tokens theme. New Theros was released at the right time.
  • Yup, the love for Omnath, Locus of Rage is propably gone. Some variation of Gallia of the Endless Dance will be the future, whenever i find the time, motivation and money for it.
  • Charge Across the Araba, Rally the Ancestors and Return to the Ranks have been absolute stellar additions to Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle. Winning out of nowhere and mass reanimating sped up the deck significantly, which has been desperately needed.
  • How come mono- control never ceases to amaze me? At least to pilot, not play against, duh.
  • I need to find a practical way to do the flips with Grenzo, Dungeon Warden. I love the deck, but i hate picking it up and setting it down countless times over the course of a game.
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
I just got home from being in the hospital. What happened was I went for a normal thing,and during coming out being knocked out my Oxygen tanked,so had that my lung collapsed,so i had to have a chest tube put in,along with being air lifted to lubbock tx (3 -4 hours away)
Uff, that sounds nasty. Speedy recovery!

Anyhow, have a great start into the upcoming week, everyone.

Hermes_

Worst part is coming back and seeing a partially built deck and forgetting what I was doing with it.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
YYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!
And RiffTrax

Among my favorites:
Puma Man
Devil Fish
Werewolf
Warrior of the Lost World
Space Mutiny

Unfortunately, a fair bit of the jokes are is lost on people younger than 30ish because references often go way back and all but require having grown up at LEAST during the 90's, ideally the 60's/70's/80's. It's not an intellect thing, just an exposure thing. That being said, my teenage kids still enjoy watching episodes with me and get enough of the jokes to keep them giggling. Not to mention the movies themselves are so bad they're funny.

These days we watch more Rifftrax. The dialogue feels rushed and raw compared to MST3K, and I miss the robots and the skits, but it's still a blast.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Hermes_

Legend wrote:
4 years ago
MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Space Mutiny
We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I keep meaning to get more into MST3K as I'm a big bad movie fan, but can't seem to get around to it. Think most of the reason why is that they tend to gravitate to the wooden 50s/60s schlock whereas I'm more about 80s cheese. That said, Pumaman was lovely.

Seeing how there's been other talk of good-bad movies in here already, would be great to swap recommendations. I've kinda fallen off the wagon the past few years since moving away from the housemate I watched this stuff with and keep meaning to get back on. Here's me preemptively dumping some of my slightly less obvious personal favourites in return :P
  • Ben & Arthur
  • Hobgoblins
  • I Am Here... Now
  • Miami Connection
  • Ninja III: The Domination
  • Nukie
  • Sister Sensei
  • Thankskilling (the rare self-aware movie that actually works)
  • The Roller Blade Seven (and most anything else I've seen from Donald G. Jackson)
  • Undefeatable

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
That's quite the regular hospital visit. I hope you're feeling better--I've heard that lung collapses aren't particularly pleasant, and that chaffing from a chest tube is quite obnoxious. Did you figure out what you were doing with that deck?
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Seeing how there's been other talk of good-bad movies in here already, would be great to swap recommendations.
Unfortunately, everything that I've watched recently has been fairly forgettable. Way too dull/slow moving to find jokes mostly. Amazon Prime is great for finding these kinds of things, so I'll put them on as background like a Saturday morning cartoon (literally, on Saturday mornings) while I dig through cards and deck build. Velocipastor is probably funny enough to recommend. They're Watching was fairly funny to me as somebody who has been forced to watch HGTV way too many times, although I was disappointed that the final act felt like they ran out of money to finish the vision. Both of these are really recent though and fairly self aware.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I keep meaning to get more into MST3K as I'm a big bad movie fan, but can't seem to get around to it. Think most of the reason why is that they tend to gravitate to the wooden 50s/60s schlock whereas I'm more about 80s cheese. That said, Pumaman was lovely.

Seeing how there's been other talk of good-bad movies in here already, would be great to swap recommendations. I've kinda fallen off the wagon the past few years since moving away from the housemate I watched this stuff with and keep meaning to get back on. Here's me preemptively dumping some of my slightly less obvious personal favourites in return :P
  • Ben & Arthur
  • Hobgoblins
  • I Am Here... Now
  • Miami Connection
  • Ninja III: The Domination
  • Nukie
  • Sister Sensei
  • Thankskilling (the rare self-aware movie that actually works)
  • The Roller Blade Seven (and most anything else I've seen from Donald G. Jackson)
  • Undefeatable
It's been a while, but a good friend of mine is into awful movies. He got massively into blaxploitation, westerns and monster movies. I'm not sure if any of these are of any value, but here goes:
  • Black Mama, White Mama
  • Coffee
  • Blackula
  • Superfly
  • Black Dynamite (this one is a more recent throwback to blaxploitations, and does a bad film in a self-aware way. It's hilariously good.)
  • Sabata
  • Total Force
  • Steele Justice (there's a gun that shoots knives lol)
  • Steel Justice (this name and any variation on it is clearly doomed - synopsis: An undercover man fights crime in the dismal future with a monster dinosaur robot transformed from a toy.)
I tuned out when he got into monster flicks, they all sound the same. There's like ghost sharks vs. robot t-rexes, I dunno, just why would I pay attention to someone talking about that.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Segrus wrote:
4 years ago
Did you figure out what you were doing with that deck?
I'm looking at it right now,and I think I was going RWU something,I have separate piles for the different card types, but I may just say screw it and start over and go with a WU daxos yours is now mine voltron build.

Hermes_

@cryogen Nice interview with Toby, hopefully the next one will be Rachel ( I think she's the one that the Cedh Rallies around)

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen Nice interview with Toby, hopefully the next one will be Rachel ( I think she's the one that the Cedh Rallies around)
I have two more planned with other Very Important People. Thanks, glad you liked it. It was fun to do. Toby is a really chill guy and awesome to chat with.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

@pokken every time I see your land drop thread I hear Homer Simpson in my head: "First we get the sugar, then we get the women, and then we get the power."

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Funnily enough I've been recurringly thinking of this one Yoda version of that meme someone made, that was first you get the money, then you get the power, etc. I think it was a song first? Dunno :)

toctheyounger

I always thought it was a Scarface reference, I could be wrong though.

Best part of that episode: Principal Skinner: "Thanks a lot, Simpson, now I'm grounded."

cryogen
GΘΔ†

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

Best part of that episode: Principal Skinner: "Thanks a lot, Simpson, now I'm grounded."
Yeah pretty sure it was from Scarface. Only in that it was a ton of cocaine, not sugar.

toctheyounger

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

Yeah pretty sure it was from Scarface. Only in that it was a ton of cocaine, not sugar.
I actually haven't seen the movie, I just extrapolated from the accent and context.

Man, that show was freaking golden at around that point. There's like 2-3 seasons that every episode is an absolute banger.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago

I actually haven't seen the movie, I just extrapolated from the accent and context.

Man, that show was freaking golden at around that point. There's like 2-3 seasons that every episode is an absolute banger.
Agreed on both counts. I haven't seen Scarface either, and the early to mid 90's era of Simpsons was bar none the best. The Itchy and Scratchy Land episode is probably my favorite to this day.

toctheyounger

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago

Agreed on both counts. I haven't seen Scarface either, and the early to mid 90's era of Simpsons was bar none the best. The Itchy and Scratchy Land episode is probably my favorite to this day.
It is really, really good. One of my favourites too. I struggle to actually pick an all time favourite. There's some hilarious stuff in the episode where Bleeding Gums Murphy dies, 23 short stories about Springfield is absolutely perfect, and Hank Scorpio is hilarious.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

My absolute favorite Simpsons episode is when Bart gets an unlaminated driver's license, and he and his friends try to drive to the 1984 Worlds Fair. So much gold in that episode, but the bit where they pick up the hobo is the best.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

@Hermes_ Sounds like you're having a rough week. Good luck getting healthy and hope you're doing well.

How does Simpsons hold up if you weren't watching from the beginning/growing up with it? I think I've seen a couple episodes, the movie a while back, and a handful of assorted other stuff but it was never a regular thing for me. Any merit to going back to it now outside of the cultural touchstones?

As an aside, I'm being surprised by UPS right now. Ordered some computer parts Sunday and they're supposed to be delivered today with the slowest shipping option.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”