[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Segrus wrote:
4 years ago
John Williams is awesome. No doubt about it. Still can't help enjoying lightsaber fights and how menacing Darth Vader is. If Disney came out and said they were making a Darth Vader film that wasn't going to pull punches, and the plot was his ship getting downed by Rebels and he had to fight through scores of them to get to an extraction point...well, I'd get D+ for that. Maybe. But I think there's little chance they make a brutal Vader movie like that for a franchise they hope to milk toy sales from.
Not gonna lie, a more grimdark serving of Star Wars is appealing to me too. I think that's part of the problem though, is that the franchise is now trying to cater to such a wide audience that it can't possibly serve up something that appeals to everyone it wants to. So instead of doing one thing and doing it well it tries to please everyone and, naturally, fails.

But yeah, a dark side deep dive does sound kinda cool.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Segrus wrote:
4 years ago
You aren't alone on that. Haven't really enjoyed the franchise since Rogue One came out.
I don't think Rogue One was really much better in a vacuum than any of the others, but in context of the full franchise it was waaaaaay better. It just did a great job answering questions people want answered. The fight between the rebels and the empire, and how they got the death star plans, is a great subject matter. It filled interesting holes, that took a couple lines from the original movie and gave them even more weight. It made the franchise better by existing.

The prequels didn't do that. I don't think many people wanted pseudo-scientific explanations of the force, they took parts of the originals and sucked value away. The sequels also didn't do that, I don't think people wanted the conclusion of the originals utterly erased, they sucked value away. So even if they're all fine movies in a vacuum, Rogue One leaves you feeling better about other movies rather than worse, and that's why it's great.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I think that's part of the problem though, is that the franchise is now trying to cater to such a wide audience that it can't possibly serve up something that appeals to everyone it wants to.
Jack of all trades is master of none. Even if all they do is essentially remake an older classic within the Star Wars universe--like how the recent Joker movie takes from Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy--that's likely still better than some of what we've been given. Would true originality be 'best'? Perhaps...but I can be okay with less than that if it's handled well.

If I could nominate an old classic to be imitated for a Vader film, then I choose The Sword of Doom.
tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
I don't think Rogue One was really much better in a vacuum than any of the others, but in context of the full franchise it was waaaaaay better.
I suppose I probably agree with you on this, but I do still somewhat feel like Rogue One was a decent movie in its own right. Not a like a great film, just good.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I intentionally passed on seeing the latest star wars movie. Just waiting for it to come to Disney + given how poorly it was being reviewed. You know, if you just make a really good movie, you don't have to worry about pleasing everyone. If it sucks for everyone its probably worse than being really good for some.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I intentionally passed on seeing the latest star wars movie. Just waiting for it to come to Disney + given how poorly it was being reviewed. You know, if you just make a really good movie, you don't have to worry about pleasing everyone. If it sucks for everyone its probably worse than being really good for some.
Turns out Rey could have gone back go Jakku at any time, she just had to click her heels together and say "there's no place like home".
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I was really mad at how they seemed to lack any originality in the plots of their reboot. I feel like I could have done the plot of those movies with how bad they were. I really hope that they learn from this because it was unacceptable if you ask me.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Whenever my wife says, "I love you", I always respond, "I know" in my best Han voice. The original trilogy had sticking power with a lot of memorable acting, quotable lines, and innovation that the prequels and new trilogy completely lack. It's a shame too. They seemed to have some cool ideas, and the movie-making technology is obviously better, but they just face planted with the whole thing.

Oh, and when I'm feeling particularly whiny about something I still say, "But I was going to go to Tosche station to pick up some power converters!" or "Yeah, well I'm not such a bad pilot myself! I don't have to take this!" :laugh:
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Meanwhile, I have to stop myself from quoting the Family Guy Star Wars episode.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I might have quoted the mandalorian a few times of late quoting the: "I have spoken". My wife....... might want to physically harm me when I do that lol.

MeowZeDung

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Something, something, dark side! Something, something, complete!

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I honestly don't get why Episode VII got good reviews while Episode IX did not. They're both similarly formulaic rehashes of the original trilogy with minor permutations. Is it the fact they actually pulled the big bad out of nowhere for the last one, sending people into uncanny valley territory and realising what mulch they've been eating?

I guess Star Wars's cult-like status is a case of youth nostalgia and echo chamber. The original trilogy is a fun set of movies, relatively carefree and enjoyable. I don't mind the prequels, as at the time they were coming out I was a teen and not instructed by external sources to hate them, but they take themselves way too seriously. I liked Episode VIII the most of anything that came out after Episode V, but even that's quite imperfect. I broke off any side quest involvement with Rogue One after I felt that I wasted two hours looking at a prolonged Mass Effect cut scene, given how they chose to give a glossy computer animated guy major screen time. Yet here are some more sources preaching that Mandalorian's worth. Maybe I should give it a shot.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Space nazis ruined all the new stuff for me.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Yet here are some more sources preaching that Mandalorian's worth. Maybe I should give it a shot.
It was original and isn't recycled material. I have seen very little originality out of the Star Wars franchise as a whole. It was fun and something completely different. I would much rather see something new and original than the crap they keep recycling otherwise.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I might have quoted the mandalorian a few times of late quoting the: "I have spoken". My wife....... might want to physically harm me when I do that lol.
Kuiil was a great character. I've used that phrase (most often in the capacity as a mod/admin), and also "this is the way".
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Segrus

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
The wife and I periodically rewatch Robot Chicken Star Wars for its humor.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Segrus wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
The wife and I periodically rewatch Robot Chicken Star Wars for its humor.
I forgot about that!

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

I watched that seventh Star Wars film in cinema and just could not stop cackle-laughing at the bit where the mercs came to call on Han Solo all at the same time. that was really really inane to the point where I forgot everything in the film past that point. apologies if that's not what happened, but it's what i remember happening and it just struck me as absurd

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

I've honestly enjoyed all of them. They're not great movies, but they've been fun enough.

As a disclaimer, The Velocipastor is high on my to-watch list right now and I'm hosting a viewing party for The Room later this month, so make of that whatever you want.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

lyonhaert
Answers: 4

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
I've honestly enjoyed all of them. They're not great movies, but they've been fun enough.
This is more-or-less my position. They've always been campy. That and making things up as you go have been part of their fabric.
SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
As a disclaimer, The Velocipastor is high on my to-watch list right now and I'm hosting a viewing party for The Room later this month, so make of that whatever you want.
Also on my list, but I have to wait. One of my oldest friends and I have a game of getting together occasionally, perusing Netflix or whatever for terrible/weird movies (often speculating and making fun as we browse), and picking one to watch. Oddly, however, we've discovered some actually good movies that just never got much exposure or whatever in the USA. Trollhunter was one of those. We also saw stuff like Rubber. Grabbers was better and funnier than we expected it to be.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Segrus

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
The Velocipastor was pretty funny at parts, but I don't think it hit all of its jokes quite well enough.

I don't mind campy. I don't mind ridiculous. I don't mind unintentionally ridiculous.

MeowZeDung

Are y'all MST3K fans then?

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Legend wrote:
4 years ago
I'm creating a playlist of space/Futuristic/robotic/technological Dash in short, science fiction – themed songs to play during a rl draft of a space themed custom set. It could use a few more songs, the more the better. Thing is, I want "generic" songs that have lyrics, that is, no instrumentals and nothing associated with a particular franchise. Psychedelic space styled songs are perfect. If you know of any, please turn me on to them. Thanks! Here's what I have so far.

ALTERNITY PLAYLIST
Black Sabbath — Into the Void
David Bowie — Space Oddity
Deep Purple — Space Truckin
Elton John — Rocket Man
Europe — Final Countdown
Muse — Starlight
Muse — Supermassive Black Hole
Peter Schilling — Major Tom
Pink Floyd — Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd — Welcome to the Machine
R.E.M. — Man on the Moon
Soundgarden — Blackhole Sun
Styx — Come Sail Away
Styx — Mr. Roboto
The Cars — Moving in Stereo
The Police — Walking on the Moon
The Pretenders — Space Invader
A-Ha — Start the Simulator
B-52s — There's a Moon in the Sky
Babylon Zoo — Spaceman
Black Sabbath — Into the Void
David Bowie — Space Oddity
David Bowie — Starman
Deep Purple — Space Truckin
Elton John — Rocket Man
Europe — Final Countdown
Failure — Another Space Song
Flock of Seagulls — Space Age Love Song
Gary Newman — Metal
Hawkwind — Space Is Deep
Hawkwind — Silver Machine
Juno Reactor — Let's Turn On
Kraftwerk — Pocket Calculator
Muse — Starlight
Muse — Supermassive Black Hole
Neil Young — Computer Age
Neil Young — Computer Cowboy
Peter Schilling — Major Tom
Pink Floyd — Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd — Welcome to the Machine
R.E.M. — Man on the Moon
Rockets — Electric Delight
Soundgarden — Blackhole Sun
Ladytron — Startup Chime
Styx — Come Sail Away
Styx — Mr. Roboto
Supertramp — The Logical Song
The Byrds — Mr. Spaceman
The Beetles — Across The Universe
The Cars — Moving in Stereo
The Kinks — Supersonic Rocket Ship
The Police — Walking on the Moon
The Pretenders — Space Invader
The Rolling Stones — 2000 Light Years From Home
TWRP — Starlight Brigade

Playlist updated. I consider the list 99% finished. (There's always room for improvement.) I'm still open to suggestions. Which reminds me, thanks to everyone that suggested songs. I listened to every single one of them. I liked many of them, added a few, but the real benefits went beyond a couple of songs:
1. They sent me in directions I may have not gone on my own.
2. Even songs and musical styles that weren't used helped set the overall vibe of the list by showing me what I wasn't looking for. No stone unturned and all that. After listening to space themed songs from every music style (rave, punk, death metal, etc), it dawned on me that each song should be something that Starlord might have on a cassette tape.
3. I don't want more than two songs from a single performer. It would be possible to make a long list with just three or four artists.
4. I heard several songs and artists that I'd never heard before, but literally CANNOT believe I'd never heard of Hawkwind before this. I'd also never heard Trans by Neil Young. Cool stuff.
Last edited by Legend 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

Thought of another for you, don't know why I didn't think of it first:

TWRP - Starlight Brigade

MeowZeDung

Legend wrote:
4 years ago
3. I don't want more than two songs from a single performer. It would be possible to make a long list with just three or four artists.
Ah, this explains why you didn't include Starman by Bowie. I was looking at your new list in dismay until I saw this stipulation. Makes sense.

Edit: NVM, no it doesn't. You've only got one Bowie song on the list. Y u No AdD sTaRmAn???!?1!

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Yeah I can't believe I missed Starman. My excuse is that I was overwhelmed with the process of discovering all this music and I accidentally left it off the list. Ha ha. Starlight brigade will also be added to the list. Now I'm off to see if I can find a reggae song or two with a science fiction theme.🙂
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”