[Official] State of Modern Thread (B&R 07/13/2020)

idSurge
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

Thats the thing. These designs are OBVIOUS errors, and at their own admission, done KNOWINGLY to push the power level.

It really makes one question their motivations.
UR Control UR

Tzoulis

Post by Tzoulis » 4 years ago

To be fair, the design on Breach is both flavorful and at a good power level if a bit on the risky side. The problem is when they only print that and no fair cards/solutions.

Also, the Breach deck seems really vulnerable to RiP/Stony/Cage and the like. As I said before I see it on the level of Emry/Paradoxical Ascendancy at the moment, we'll see how it goes.

Mr.Guizee
Guiz
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Mr.Guizee » 4 years ago

gkourou wrote:
4 years ago
Mr.Guizee wrote:
4 years ago
I have a question! I'm building a Grixis control deck but I'm having problems dealing with monored and Boros aggro decks. I know that I can't really outpace those decks but maybe I'm forgetting some cards. Are there any options in black or red that helps me deal with those stupid quick bursts?
100% Collective Brutality. As many as you 'd like/can(mainly Burn, but also mono red prowess).
Aether Gust is another great card for mono red prowess(not so much for Burn), but it will do against Titan variants as well as some other decks.
Hm I'll test Collective Brutality, I think that gaining at least a little bit of life might help dealing with that quick damage

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Simto wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
I suggest get your set now while they're quite low.
You're right. I'm extremely tempted to get a playset. I have a "casual" affinity deck that I use with my play group's anything goes games. Would be sick having them for sure. I love artifacts and +1/+1 synergy.
I think the deck is too slow these days. Springleaf Drum is not enough as the only acceleration. Have built my affinity again, but it's only for playing with friends now. I'm curious on what affinity you have right now. If you want, we can talk about it in the thread. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=218&p=65753#p65753
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Aazadan

Post by Aazadan » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Simto wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
I suggest get your set now while they're quite low.
You're right. I'm extremely tempted to get a playset. I have a "casual" affinity deck that I use with my play group's anything goes games. Would be sick having them for sure. I love artifacts and +1/+1 synergy.
I think the deck is too slow these days. Springleaf Drum is not enough as the only acceleration. Have built my affinity again, but it's only for playing with friends now. I'm curious on what affinity you have right now. If you want, we can talk about it in the thread. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=218&p=65753#p65753
Yep. I think it can come back if/when the artifact lands are unbanned, which isn't that reasonable an unban either. Not offering acceleration to the combo decks, and the deck itself not being egregious these days, I think they would be worth putting into the format.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

if artifact lands unban, I see a possible return to old school builds with frogmite. The deck should try to win game one as much as possible. Because game two, the artifact destruction would be much more deadly.. creeping corrosion will destroy now even the lands, and stony silence now stops most lands from producing mana.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

ktkenshinx

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

Super interesting MTG Arena Historic anthology released:
https://www.destructoid.com/exclusive-m ... 1262.phtml
(Reddit:

Many of these cards are not even legal in Pioneer currently. One of them, Ancestral Mask, isn't even legal in Modern. This inspires some hope that Wizards really is trying to get something more than just Pioneer into Arena. Whether that's for Modern, Legacy, Commander, or something else remains to be seen.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

I feel like giving more of my opinion here, but I don't play online. My tournaments have been between 4 and 14 players at most, which don't tell %$#%. It's pretty sad. I wish I had more practice for Regionals in San Diego, CA. I've been pretty close and these types of tournaments have a lot less competition than Grand Prix.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

ktkenshinx

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
I feel like giving more of my opinion here, but I don't play online. My tournaments have been between 4 and 14 players at most, which don't tell %$#%. It's pretty sad. I wish I had more practice for Regionals in San Diego, CA. I've been pretty close and these types of tournaments have a lot less competition than Grand Prix.
I think paper attendance is going to continue a gradual decline as more players become content with Arena experiences. It's just really convenient and easy to get your Magic fix from a combination of Reddit, Arena, MTGO, Discord, and Twitch, especially if you frequent a smaller channel with an engaging community. This is going to get even worse once they figure out the Arena mobile platform and players will be able to enjoy Magic from anywhere at anytime. I imagine Magic players already lean more socially anxious than the general public, and I can't imagine a mobile version of their traditionally paper game will encourage them to be more social. Add in the perception (if not reality) of Arena being "free" and cheaper than paper cards, and you have a scenario where paper Magic is virtually guaranteed to continue a decline. I'm cautiously optimistic about Modern's future on Arena because of some of these new releases, but it's still a rough start to 2020 for the format and paper Magic more broadly.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 4 years ago

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
I live less than 10 miles from the Regionals host store, and used to go there frequently. Not attending this time around, but best of luck to those who are. A lot of my friends from FNMs will be there.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

cfusionpm wrote:
4 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
I live less than 10 miles from the Regionals host store, and used to go there frequently. Not attending this time around, but best of luck to those who are. A lot of my friends from FNMs will be there.
Oh, I always assumed you were north of where I stay at. I'm 85 mi. north of San Diego.

I think if you have a deck, you should play though. I feel like many will play what they like and Amulet, Red Prowess, and Urza won't necessarily be overrepresented. Many cards are atrocious, but I think the format is still okay at least (with Oko gone). But if you have something better to do, I can't argue with that. I am almost at that point myself, not because of the state of Modern, but because of lack of players to play with.
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

cfusionpm

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
cfusionpm wrote:
4 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
Oh, I always assumed you were north of where I stay at. I'm 85 mi. north of San Diego.

I think if you have a deck, you should play though. I feel like many will play what they like and Amulet, Red Prowess, and Urza won't necessarily be overrepresented. Many cards are atrocious, but I think the format is still okay at least (with Oko gone). But if you have something better to do, I can't argue with that. I am almost at that point myself, not because of the state of Modern, but because of lack of players to play with.
Nope, down here! But I'm definitely not motivated to play. Maybe if I had the fluidity to move between decks as quickly, easily, and cheaply as I do on mtgo (where I've played a spattering of decks that would cost me thousands to build in paper) and I might consider it if I had them. But even in the practice rooms, it's just miserable experience after miserable experience. If it's not some obnoxious overpowered deck, then it's some random obnoxious gotcha deck that I'll probably lose g1 to, and may or may not be prepared for at all. Also been seeing a ton of chalice/moon/bridge/leyline lately, which doesn't help.

The only things I could sleeve up in time are GDS or other bad blue tempo/control piles. But when push came to shove, I actually volunteered to come in and work a half day at work instead of play here (all teachers were broadly asked and I was one that said yes). I think Modern is *still* that bad, and I have zero motivation or reason to change that view.

In the meantime, I had a TON of fun with a group of friends last night making home made Mexican food and playing Pandemic (over several hours, the 5 of us lost multiple times, though we reworked our strategies and improved containment and cure procedures each time!)

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

I think GDS is solid. I predict there will be one or a Jund Shadow in the top 8 of Regionals. I just am fairly excited for Regionals because it is (suuuuper) rare to see in California. It must have been 4 years ago the last time we had it - for Standard and Modern I think.

I can understand if it's not enjoyable to play. I am kind of getting to that point as well, but I still enjoy no other format more than Modern except Legacy, which is rare that I can play (haven't played in 4-5 months at all now). I even was considering grinding Standard and Limited to qualify for the PT again. But it's not really an enjoyable option for me; playing Modern (or Legacy) is.

But then there are some other formats and I use that term very loosely, that I have or would enjoy - Premodern and No Ban List Modern. I wish I had more access to these.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

cfusionpm

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
I think GDS is solid. I predict there will be one or a Jund Shadow in the top 8 of Regionals. I just am fairly excited for Regionals because it is (suuuuper) rare to see in California. It must have been 4 years ago the last time we had it - for Standard and Modern I think.

I have found it ok. I have been playing Sultai and Jund variants online, both of which I have none of lands or multitude of staples needed to build in paper (lol lands/goyfs are <$5 ea), and both of which have seen better success (Jund) or better play experiences (Sultai). I recently kept a hand of 3x bauble, 2x Unearth, 1x Shadow, 1x OUaT, and won on turn 4.

Anyway, I remember the last time we had Regionals here! It was shortly after the Twin ban and I was playing some terrible Jeskai Delver list with Mantis Rider and Boros Charm. Lantern was still fairly new and I learned the hard way that you can't respond to a Pithing Needle after it names your fetchland. :explode:
I can understand if it's not enjoyable to play. I am kind of getting to that point as well, but I still enjoy no other format more than Modern except Legacy,...

But then there are some other formats and I use that term very loosely, that I have or would enjoy - Premodern and No Ban List Modern. I wish I had more access to these.
Honestly, between the baby and a busy work schedule planning and grading, I find myself just enjoying other board games or D&D much more. I jam games online when I can, but I simply can't justify reserving a precious Friday night to roll the dice and see how much I'm going to hate my opponents' decks over several hours into the late night, after being up since 5am.

The lack of announcement, acknowledgement, or really even consideration of existence for the format is extremely disheartening. The message I am getting from their silence is "This is Modern now. Deal with it or don't play." So I don't.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

cfusionpm wrote:
4 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago

I have found it ok. I have been playing Sultai and Jund variants online, both of which I have none of lands or multitude of staples needed to build in paper (lol lands/goyfs are <$5 ea), and both of which have seen better success (Jund) or better play experiences (Sultai). I recently kept a hand of 3x bauble, 2x Unearth, 1x Shadow, 1x OUaT, and won on turn 4.

Anyway, I remember the last time we had Regionals here! It was shortly after the Twin ban and I was playing some terrible Jeskai Delver list with Mantis Rider and Boros Charm. Lantern was still fairly new and I learned the hard way that you can't respond to a Pithing Needle after it names your fetchland. :explode:
I can understand if it's not enjoyable to play. I am kind of getting to that point as well, but I still enjoy no other format more than Modern except Legacy,...

Honestly, between the baby and a busy work schedule planning and grading, I find myself just enjoying other board games or D&D much more. I jam games online when I can, but I simply can't justify reserving a precious Friday night to roll the dice and see how much I'm going to hate my opponents' decks over several hours into the late night, after being up since 5am.

The lack of announcement, acknowledgement, or really even consideration of existence for the format is extremely disheartening. The message I am getting from their silence is "This is Modern now. Deal with it or don't play." So I don't.
Oh, I definitely can understand that. I have 2 boys - 6 years old and 1 1/2 yrs. One of my friends and super competitive opponents just had a baby on Thursday. I do realize how much time I am taking from my family to play a format with so much variance, where so many cards are banned while OUaT, Veil, Teferi, etc. are all not banned. I realize that.

But I don't want to spam this forum too much. Hopefully someone sees this here and realizes that the SCG Regionals is coming up. It should be a fun day with friends. It's funny because I also played at the last one and made a huge mistake with no less than Bogles. Finished 10th because of that mistake vs. Living End in the 2nd to the last round. (I could have just played around the final copy of Living End, cascaded into by the other 6 cascade spells). It was his only out to win, so I should have just played around it, went to 1 life, then regained momentum and won. Instead I took the read that he hadn't played it yet, so he probably doesn't have it (but then he has a draw step too, lol). The dumb mistake cost me top 8.

Honestly if you want to borrow some cards for that day, I'm down. I just gotta get them back by the end of the day and I have almost every single Modern staple, except maybe a few newer ones. Let me know.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

cfusionpm

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
Honestly if you want to borrow some cards for that day, I'm down. I just gotta get them back by the end of the day and I have almost every single Modern staple, except maybe a few newer ones. Let me know.
I might have taken you up on that, but I'm already volunteered to watch a bunch of ASB students host activities for an event at our school that day.

But speaking of the acquisition of cards in the first place, I find two things astonishingly interesting. First is how utterly pushed the past 18 months have been, and how absolutely required it was/is to need multiple new expensive mythic and rares to be remotely competitive. And 2nd the strange disparity between mtgo and paper prices. For example, I could get a full green manabase for jund/sultai shadow (from existing Grixis), plus Goyfs and all other needed cards (veil, once, trophy, decay, traverse, etc) for less than what two paper Goyfs cost. On the flip side, some cheap things in paper are absurdly priced online. Like when T3feri was $15 in paper and $80 online, or Seasoned Pyromancer, which is $8 in paper and $30 online, or Ice Fang Coatl, $5 in paper, $30 online, or Mishra's Bauble, $9 in paper, $35 online. Good times.

Bobothegoat

Post by Bobothegoat » 4 years ago

cfusionpm wrote:
4 years ago

I might have taken you up on that, but I'm already volunteered to watch a bunch of ASB students host activities for an event at our school that day.

But speaking of the acquisition of cards in the first place, I find two things astonishingly interesting. First is how utterly pushed the past 18 months have been, and how absolutely required it was/is to need multiple new expensive mythic and rares to be remotely competitive. And 2nd the strange disparity between mtgo and paper prices. For example, I could get a full green manabase for jund/sultai shadow (from existing Grixis), plus Goyfs and all other needed cards (veil, once, trophy, decay, traverse, etc) for less than what two paper Goyfs cost. On the flip side, some cheap things in paper are absurdly priced online. Like when T3feri was $15 in paper and $80 online, or Seasoned Pyromancer, which is $8 in paper and $30 online, or Ice Fang Coatl, $5 in paper, $30 online, or Mishra's Bauble, $9 in paper, $35 online. Good times.
As far as paper goes, would it be worthwhile to sell Modern cards even though they are much lower than they were a year ago? I seem to keep reading that there isn't much incentive to wait for prices to go back up.

I know there are a couple Modern GP scheduled this year but the prices seems to be staying fairly low.

Ym1r

Post by Ym1r » 4 years ago

gkourou wrote:
4 years ago
The latest challenge features double amulet top 8 and 11 eldrazi tron decks (some g tron also?).
Big mana modern is here. for me, its even worse than hogaak.
I was thinking to build a jeskai control Deck online, but this meta makes it totally unplayable.

Just ban expedition map, once and field and be done with it, wizards.
Just build UW Stoneblade with 4 Field of Ruin and splash a Steam Vents for Blood Moon in the sideboard. It has worked wonders for me. 1/2 Ashiok in the Sb as well for Amulet and most of the angles should be covered.
Counter, draw a card.

Ed06288

Post by Ed06288 » 4 years ago

My local meta is alright. Played sunday afternoon against u/w control, dredge, zoo, and jund.

Last modern challenge leads me to believe that once upon a time is a problem. I also miss mox opal.

Mapccu

Post by Mapccu » 4 years ago

ktkenshinx wrote:
4 years ago
Super interesting MTG Arena Historic anthology released:
[cut for space]

Many of these cards are not even legal in Pioneer currently. One of them, Ancestral Mask, isn't even legal in Modern. This inspires some hope that Wizards really is trying to get something more than just Pioneer into Arena. Whether that's for Modern, Legacy, Commander, or something else remains to be seen.
I'm very optimistic about some of these choices. Meddling made in particular seems like a welcome addition if historic becomes full of linear decks that hinge on digging to specific combo pieces (like heliod could have been if ballista was legal). I would be very happy to see Thalia in pioneer to be honest.

What's encouraging is that they're willing to at least test some of these. Worst case scenario they have much more agility in removing a card and just refunding wild cards which will almost always be great for these powerful rares because you can put those towards fixing mana bases.

My hope is that this paves the way for more fluid Action in modern so the meta becomes less swingy. I don't think rewarding people who own now banned cards is something they can ever really achieve logistically though.

I don't know that our first direct to modern paper print was a "success" in every aspect. I would be fine to see online lead paper by 2-3 months before people buy into problematic cards. That way if something is out of whack they can have data on the front end before throwing the secondary market I to disarray.

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

I think paper modern, pioneer and standard are most threatened. Modern will go first.
Community enthusiasts will push Legacy, EDH, Canlander etc.in paper, alongside draft. If you have a collection, buy playable RL cards and EDH or cube cards, sell valuable Modern cards.

Mikefon

Post by Mikefon » 4 years ago

Next week B&R update. It was about time.

Thenarus

Post by Thenarus » 4 years ago

Mikefon wrote:
4 years ago

Next week B&R update. It was about time.
And it will be about time.

Mapccu

Post by Mapccu » 4 years ago

Can I request a data dump of the last few months (dec-feb maybe?) of day 2 gp breakdowns? Not sure where to find the aggregated data, a link or general direction will also suffice. Figure if imma comment I may as well use the most current info we have to try and direct the convo, play patterns aside.

*please :)

Tomatotime

Post by Tomatotime » 4 years ago

Mapccu wrote:
4 years ago
Can I request a data dump of the last few months (dec-feb maybe?) of day 2 gp breakdowns? Not sure where to find the aggregated data, a link or general direction will also suffice. Figure if imma comment I may as well use the most current info we have to try and direct the convo, play patterns aside.

*please
Have there actually been a lot of Modern tournaments in this time range? I thought most of the recent events have been Pioneer focused, as such I'm not sure there would even be much data to dump.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”