[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

It's the cheapskate way to hold small limited events. You get to skip out on prize support this way. Did some KLD drafts like that during my brief "I'm gonna get into limited!" phase, not a single prize pack was offered.
NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
If anything drafts should be fun enviroments for all players involved!
Whenever a new set comes out, our 2014/2015 EDH group gets together and does a ripabox event. 36 packs translate to a sealed, and then a wonky four-man draft. At the end of the day, we pool all the rares, sort them monetarily, and try to divvy up the loot as evenly as possible while respecting individual wants. It's a pretty decent system for casual fun times.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
It's the cheapskate way to hold small limited events. You get to skip out on prize support this way. Did some KLD drafts like that during my brief "I'm gonna get into limited!" phase, not a single prize pack was offered.
NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
If anything drafts should be fun enviroments for all players involved!
Whenever a new set comes out, our 2014/2015 EDH group gets together and does a ripabox event. 36 packs translate to a sealed, and then a wonky four-man draft. At the end of the day, we pool all the rares, sort them monetarily, and try to divvy up the loot as evenly as possible while respecting individual wants. It's a pretty decent system for casual fun times.
A group of friends doing that with a box they all went in on is fine. I don't like it for LGS tournament play is all. It can be very exploitative.

Prize support in paper is one of the few things that get me into an LGS. Take that away and I'd rather just cube/edh with friends and family or draft online. At least with my current LGS.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Yeah, hence I explicitly delineated the setting. Trying to fairly divvy up loot with strangers isn't gonna cut it, and the rare redraft system is an evolution of that. I understand why it's in place, and I actually like that it rewards skill and investment. However, the fact it openly does so at the cost of the players who already got roughed up in draft (repeatedly losing in limited is not fun) makes it suboptimal. Still, cheaper to run events this way, as also mentioned.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

I did a fair number of drafts like that back around ALA/ZEN, mostly because there was a group of us that wanted to keep drafting after the scheduled events wrapped up (and it was something to do with prize packs). It works out as long as everyone knows exactly what they're agreeing to, better if people are at comparable skill levels and you do it on a semi-regular basis. Losing out on the chase rare one week isn't so painful when you get to pick it up next time.

All of my recent drafting has been phantom. I'll pick up a box and invite people to draft, keeping everything at the end. Higher cost for one person, but lower variance than just opening three packs. I still need to get around to selling the leftovers from the last few of those.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

MeowZeDung

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
I did a fair number of drafts like that back around ALA/ZEN, mostly because there was a group of us that wanted to keep drafting after the scheduled events wrapped up (and it was something to do with prize packs). It works out as long as everyone knows exactly what they're agreeing to, better if people are at comparable skill levels and you do it on a semi-regular basis. Losing out on the chase rare one week isn't so painful when you get to pick it up next time.
Yeah, that's awesome when it's a group of buddies with mutual understanding. Again my issue is when that's the LGS's structure for tournament style play since it punishes noobs and kids and keeps new players from getting more involved generally speaking.

When it comes to friends I've seen all sorts of stuff with prize packs. Flip and rip being the hardest to watch. Met an LGS owner with a cube of all ripped cards once, and it wasn't chaff either. It included JTMS and comparable stuff.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

Reminds of my first big event I don't remember what it was,other than it was sealed and around original Zendikar. So I open up my packs and opened a Misty Rain forest among other good stuff, I was a bit sad that I couldn't keep it.

As for drafting, I only rare draft mainly cuz i'm not into limited and i'm not that good at drafting either lol
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

The LGS is kinda small, so most ppl that play magic in any form know each other for a long time apart from some new entries in the last years (myself included). I just go there to play EDH and do some prereleases. The suprising thing is that newer players (been into magic for the last 1-2 years) that only play standard don't seem to mind. I'm not that invested to make a fuss about it anyways.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

MeowZeDung

vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
The suprising thing is that newer players (been into magic for the last 1-2 years) that only play standard don't seem to mind.
They don't mind until they open a $30+ planeswalker and lose it, or a year from now when they realize why still having that rare land they opened in that draft way back when would be nice.

I opened a Breeding Pool in my very first magic product (a deckbuilder's toolkit iirc), and traded it away for something ridiculous like pieces for a casual heroic deck. Fabled Heros, Favored Hoplites and Phalanx Leaders I think. I couldn't understand why people would rather have a stupid land than those cool creatures. Similarly, I traded away a Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver and Baleful Strix for a Chandra, Pyromaster and thought I was getting the better end of the deal since at least my PW did damage! Gosh, I wish someone would've taken the time to explain the MTG economy to me back then, or at least that the first LGS I went to wasn't full of scum willing to grift a new player with awful trades.

Why is it that new players gravitate toward standard so often I wonder? I did as well when I was newer. How I wish someone would've explained the low EV money pit that format is to me back then and pointed me toward EDH/Modern/Pauper/Cube instead.

Edit: This comes across really negative. I'm not trying to insinuate that your LGS is crap. For all I know it's run and frequented by good people. Bad memories is all.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
The suprising thing is that newer players (been into magic for the last 1-2 years) that only play standard don't seem to mind.
They don't mind until they open a $30+ planeswalker and lose it, or a year from now when they realize why still having that rare land they opened in that draft way back when would be nice.

I opened a Breeding Pool in my very first magic product (a deckbuilder's toolkit iirc), and traded it away for something ridiculous like pieces for a casual heroic deck. Fabled Heros, Favored Hoplites and Phalanx Leaders I think. I couldn't understand why people would rather have a stupid land than those cool creatures. Similarly, I traded away a Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver and Baleful Strix for a Chandra, Pyromaster and thought I was getting the better end of the deal since at least my PW did damage! Gosh, I wish someone would've taken the time to explain the MTG economy to me back then, or at least that the first LGS I went to wasn't full of scum willing to grift a new player with awful trades.

Why is it that new players gravitate toward standard so often I wonder? I did as well when I was newer. How I wish someone would've explained the low EV money pit that format is to me back then and pointed me toward EDH/Modern/Pauper/Cube instead.

Edit: This comes across really negative. I'm not trying to insinuate that your LGS is crap. For all I know it's run and frequented by good people. Bad memories is all.
At least you got something in return. At one point I sold the bulk of my collection on the NZ equivalent of eBay for next to nothing. Included were things like Reanimate, Hermit Druid, several Quirion Rangers, Lightning Bolts, Mind over Matter, Demonic Tutor.

I was foolish. I held onto some cool stuff, like my first ever legendary land and my first Tempest rare, but otherwise, my card pool these days is missing some great stuff that I should've held onto. I don't even have anyone else to blame as I was selling to rando's online, not a shop grifter.

FWIW, LGSes near me are a mixed bag. There's 2 great ones, several more that are notorious for shady deals, overpriced product and bad customer service. It's not always easy finding the right place for you.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

MeowZeDung

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
At least you got something in return. At one point I sold the bulk of my collection on the NZ equivalent of eBay for next to nothing. Included were things like Reanimate, Hermit Druid, several Quirion Rangers, Lightning Bolts, Mind over Matter, Demonic Tutor.
Woof. Bad beats man.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Woof. Bad beats man.
Yeah, it was stupid. What can you do though? At least I didn't get rid of any ABUR's or other reserved list stuff. My collection these days is fine, if a little lacking in historic staples, but I get by mostly. I like to think it makes me brew a little more creatively than I otherwise would to play around the lack of staples, even if I'd prefer to have the cards in question.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago

No offense taken, and the guys are really friendly there. My EDH playgroup there (the owner plays sometimes too) are about my age (30 years and upwards) so they are not making any fuss about missed triggers etc. The standard dudes are much younger but the atmosphere is really friendly. I might ask the owner how come they are doing it like this. I just don't want to give the wrong impression that I'm telling them how to run things.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
This one actually has an easy answer. You only need to know at most two years worth of cards and the interactions within. It's a much less complex format than any of the others that you mentioned, which all have a 15+ year deep card pool. It's also more heavily covered than other formats thanks to the larger number of big events, there's more easily accessible information on the common decks, of which there are a manageable number, and there's easy access to local events (or at least there was, no idea how standard popularity has held up outside of arena). It, along with limited, is the easiest starting point for people getting into organized play.

It's terrible for more enfranchised players unless they're interested in the high level play where it's forced but a great thing to have for newer players.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

MeowZeDung

Good points all.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

[primer] = primer

So you don't have to use [img] PNGs in your sig, posts, etc.
Thanks to Rumpy for mentioning it.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Hermes_

Why do people (Cedh reddit) think it would be a good idea for there to be a record of eacch RC/CAG meeting? Do they have idea what madness would be unleashed?

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
Why do people (Cedh reddit) think it would be a good idea for there to be a record of eacch RC/CAG meeting? Do they have idea what madness would be unleashed?
Yes, they do. But justify it in the name of validating their complaints. Little is more gratifying then having your complaining validated.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
Madness? This is Sparta Sheldon's basement secret cabal meeting!
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Hermes_

Here's what I envision: Toby says he votes one way on a ban/don't ban : hate mail,death threats,emails explaining in a cool and calm fashion why he should change his mind or why he shouldn't then multiply that by 3. followed by everybody and their cousin having a panic attack because they bring up a card,followed by card prices swinging like a dead man in the old west.

No one has yet convinced me this won't be the case.

Kelzam

Post by Kelzam » 4 years ago

It's not like most of them are actually interested in what the RC/CAG are discussing, anyway. The call for "transparency" is just faux concern/outrage that has nothing to do with transparency and everything to do with the RC not banning their boogieman they're going to crusade to get banned, be it now or the neverending slope we'd slip down if the RC did. I've been in enough gaming communities to see the vocal ones bemoan a lack of transparency only to use it to twist people's arms once they get it. They think if they can get access to the minutes from the meanings they can "GOTCHA!" the RC or find angles to pressure them into taking action and ban cards for their niche; most aren't interested in actual discourse any farther than getting what they want. Ultimately all it would accomplish is cEDH players relentlessly picking apart their every word. If you need any more evidence, the reaction to no bans from the cEDH YouTubers, players etc due to no ban last time and the constant touting of "you said you're listening!" as if that means they're entitled to the RC taking action on their part should be a sign of what they'd do with "transparency". All this is also ignoring that they have all the transparency they need: it's called the format philosophy document, that happens to explain who the RC bans cards for, which is inconvenient for them since it states that they ban cards for the core demographic and not the extremes of the spectrum ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 1 Judge US-South
Founder of MTG Salvation (2005-2019), Proud New Patron of MTG Nexus! (2019+)

My CMDR Primers:

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

I've been super in to GTFO lately. Normally, horror is not my thing, but that game is so intense and scary without being a like, "stays with you" scare.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
I've been super in to GTFO lately. Normally, horror is not my thing, but that game is so intense and scary without being a like, "stays with you" scare.
I've been pretty into telling people to GTFO lately.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

Airi wrote:
4 years ago
I've been really tempted to try it out. I've watched some YouTubers play and it looks quite fun.

Shabbaman
crying casual

Post by Shabbaman » 4 years ago

Kelzam wrote:
4 years ago
The call for "transparency" is just faux concern/outrage that has nothing to do with transparency and everything to do with the RC not banning their boogieman they're going to crusade to get banned, be it now or the neverending slope we'd slip down if the RC did.
Indeed. It's not as if Wizards is more transparent about their bans than the RC is.
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

Segrus wrote:
4 years ago
I've been really tempted to try it out. I've watched some YouTubers play and it looks quite fun.
It's super good! Pretty difficult, but that just makes it so much better when you pull off a tough level.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”