[Official] "What Modern Deck Should I Play?" Thread

ktkenshinx
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

New to the format and don't know where to start? Veteran player looking for something new? Questions about what fits with your playstyle? Ask it here!

Be sure to include the following in your posts:
  • Cards you already own.
  • Colors you like to play.
  • Style you like to play (control, combo, aggro, midrange, tempo, ramp, rogue, etc.)
  • Level you want to play at, or aim to build up to (causal, FNM, MTGO Challenge, SCG IQ, GP, etc.)
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

been playing some kind of Deaths Shadow variant or Mardu Pyro for the better part of the past 2ish years or so. Lately I've been thinking of possibly getting the remaining part Izzet Phoenix (I'd need the phoenixes, TiTis and manamorphases, I think I have most of teh rest). Is that viable or is some kind of midrange deck gonna be more viable with the release of MH1?

ktkenshinx

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
been playing some kind of Deaths Shadow variant or Mardu Pyro for the better part of the past 2ish years or so. Lately I've been thinking of possibly getting the remaining part Izzet Phoenix (I'd need the phoenixes, TiTis and manamorphases, I think I have most of teh rest). Is that viable or is some kind of midrange deck gonna be more viable with the release of MH1?
You can't go too wrong with Izzet Phoenix at most levels. It's a very competitive deck with a strong, underlying gameplan. Local metagame decisions might influence that choice, but it's still got such a strong pedigree.

Midrange decks can be very powerful in expected, or relatively expected, metagames. Knowledge of a field gives you the ability to tailor answers and threats towards an opponent's strategy. This lets you address one of midrange's timeless issues of the threat/answer mismatch in some matchups. GDS and Mardu Pyro can both fit this role, because they both have strong cantrips to back them up. Between the two, I'd lean towards GDS with more Rages for a fast finish option. I'd avoid Jund unless you are adding Looting or some other cantrip to it. Same with BG Rock.

motleyslayer

I've been running 2 copies of temur battle rage for a while and it seems correct. My local meta has a few players who have been on blue moon/ through the breach for years so the room might be suited for a deck like that but I guess phoenix is just faster

I haven't played in a few weeks though so I might wait it out for a bit

Ganondorf77

Post by Ganondorf77 » 4 years ago

Hi all.

I've been in the modern scene for about 9 months now, and have played 8-whack, Affinity (both traditional and hardened scales), UW spirits, and UW death and taxes. So far, I've only played at the FNM level and just started doing leagues on MTGO. I'd like to start getting a little more serious, and am trying to decide between 2 decks: Shadow decks (probably Grixis or Esper)or Humans. But if you all have a good idea for another deck, let me know.

I like being proactive but having interaction, I like having game against most decks, and I hate playing a deck that is completely shut off by a single hoser card (i.e. stony silence against affinity). I like having creatures, but do not require a completely creature based deck. As far as actual archetypes, I like disruptive aggro, tempo, and midrange. Overall, I want a deck that fits these requirements while being generally playable with meta shifts, even if it isn't necessarily always the "best pick".

I don't really have a price limit, other than not being willing to spend $$$ to own two separate tier 1 decks. My wife saw the "total collection value" on Deckbox.org, and um....suggested I try to keep my collection pared down.:p

Thank you!

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

Ganondorf77 wrote:
4 years ago
Hi all.

I've been in the modern scene for about 9 months now, and have played 8-whack, Affinity (both traditional and hardened scales), UW spirits, and UW death and taxes. So far, I've only played at the FNM level and just started doing leagues on MTGO. I'd like to start getting a little more serious, and am trying to decide between 2 decks: Shadow decks (probably Grixis or Esper)or Humans. But if you all have a good idea for another deck, let me know.

I like being proactive but having interaction, I like having game against most decks, and I hate playing a deck that is completely shut off by a single hoser card (i.e. stony silence against affinity). I like having creatures, but do not require a completely creature based deck. As far as actual archetypes, I like disruptive aggro, tempo, and midrange. Overall, I want a deck that fits these requirements while being generally playable with meta shifts, even if it isn't necessarily always the "best pick".

I don't really have a price limit, other than not being willing to spend $$$ to own two separate tier 1 decks. My wife saw the "total collection value" on Deckbox.org, and um....suggested I try to keep my collection pared down.:p

Thank you!
I suggest Humans, although it is very close. Humans is super proactive with a quick, consistent clock, while providing the tools to slow combo decks down. Shadow is similar, but it often can be a tiny bit tougher finding that clock that you need.

I would test both decks, ask your locals or elsewhere as well as here, and try to figure out which will do the best in the upcoming perceived meta.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

motleyslayer

Shadow is really good if you can learn the deck and I've enjoyed it. Sometimes you just gotta figure out the clock you need

what do people think of devoted druid decks right now? I almost bought into it

Tempius
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Tempius » 4 years ago

I've been playing Magic casually on and off since 2003 and I decided to play a bit more seriously on LGS level. Though, my biggest problem right now is that I simply can't decide what deck I want to play. Stuff like LGS meta is kind of hard to impossible to predict because the LGS is the only one around here, so everyone and their mother go to that shop. This turns every FNM into mini GPs (40-50 players every week for modern, 60-70 standard) and it's roughly 50/50 fully fledged and budget decks. Because of my on and off relationship in the past, my collection is all over the place with some staples of a couple of decks, though none of them appeal to me, but I'm willing to sell some of them to bolster my budget if needed. I'm willing to invest roughly 800€ plus the said cards I could sell (should be around 4-500€).

I like to play midrange the most, aggro and tempo as runner-ups, but I don't mind playing big mana strategies either. With that in mind, I was thinking about The Rock or some sort of Eldrazi because with Rock you already have quite a bunch of the BG/x staples, so turning it into Jund or Abzan wouldn't be too hard (if needed at all). Same goes for the Eldrazi creature and land base and it covers most of my preferred archetypes. I'm consuming quite a lot of youtube and twitch content for Eldrazi and BG/x decks and I'm really 50/50...One day I'm determined to buy into Eldrazi and the next day I'm 100% The Rock. Send help, please!

Exares

Post by Exares » 4 years ago

I recently moved, and as in my new city the Commander scene is almost non existent, I will have to finally start playing Modern seriously.

I've had a couple decks before: two or three years ago I played Ad Nauseam for a while, and last year I built 8-Rack, but while I loved each and every card, I had a difficult time against all kinds of decks.

What I like? Though I like combo, right now I want to play midrange or control. Black is the color I want to play, and any color combination will be accepted. I love deck archetypes like discard, land destruction and the good old control with a solid finisher. That said, fast and brutal aggro decks are also of my liking, but I'm not really into Burn.

Some months ago I started putting together Grixis Death Shadow, but as I understood lately Shadow is not in a great shape. Is this right?

Thank you!
Apathy is death.
Varina, Zombie Queen
Edgar, Family Reunion
Sefris, Dungeons of the Forgotten Realms
Jhoira, Legendary Artifacts
Old Rutstein, Graveyard Weirdness
Raphael & The Infernals
Yawgmoth, Phyrexia Forever
Selvala, Wild Stampede
Jace, Always Jace

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

I'm gonna try my best to help out here.
motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
what do people think of devoted druid decks right now? I almost bought into it
I don't necessarily think it's well placed, but I usually tend to do well when I play it every once in a while. The GP where UW beat Hogaak in the finals had Devoted Devastation at more than a 53% win rate. I don't know if that's good enough, but it's definitely not BAD per se.

However, Hogaak is severely weakened and played much less; that was a solid matchup for the deck. So I think you have to dodge some things. UR Phoenix isn't good. Most decks with Bolt aren't good. I feel that UW can be 50/50 with a good enough SB. It mostly depends on what your meta is. But I do in fact think that it isn't as good against Midrange as it was before, due to cutting Chord of Calling and especially Collected Company. It could be time to not be just super fast and have some mid game as well.
Tempius wrote:
4 years ago
I've been playing Magic casually on and off since 2003 and I decided to play a bit more seriously on LGS level. Though, my biggest problem right now is that I simply can't decide what deck I want to play. Stuff like LGS meta is kind of hard to impossible to predict because the LGS is the only one around here, so everyone and their mother go to that shop. This turns every FNM into mini GPs (40-50 players every week for modern, 60-70 standard) and it's roughly 50/50 fully fledged and budget decks. Because of my on and off relationship in the past, my collection is all over the place with some staples of a couple of decks, though none of them appeal to me, but I'm willing to sell some of them to bolster my budget if needed. I'm willing to invest roughly 800€ plus the said cards I could sell (should be around 4-500€).

I like to play midrange the most, aggro and tempo as runner-ups, but I don't mind playing big mana strategies either. With that in mind, I was thinking about The Rock or some sort of Eldrazi because with Rock you already have quite a bunch of the BG/x staples, so turning it into Jund or Abzan wouldn't be too hard (if needed at all). Same goes for the Eldrazi creature and land base and it covers most of my preferred archetypes. I'm consuming quite a lot of youtube and twitch content for Eldrazi and BG/x decks and I'm really 50/50...One day I'm determined to buy into Eldrazi and the next day I'm 100% The Rock. Send help, please!
I think Eldrazi Tron has done well recently, even after the banning of Bridge from Below. That bodes well for the deck. Jund also seems solid with Wrenn and Six being Dark Confidants 3-6, except they only hit lands each turn. I feel that E Tron is a bit better placed, mostly due to Chalice hosing (some) quick decks while the nature of the deck gives fits to Midrange and Control.
Exares wrote:
4 years ago
I recently moved, and as in my new city the Commander scene is almost non existent, I will have to finally start playing Modern seriously.

I've had a couple decks before: two or three years ago I played Ad Nauseam for a while, and last year I built 8-Rack, but while I loved each and every card, I had a difficult time against all kinds of decks.

What I like? Though I like combo, right now I want to play midrange or control. Black is the color I want to play, and any color combination will be accepted. I love deck archetypes like discard, land destruction and the good old control with a solid finisher. That said, fast and brutal aggro decks are also of my liking, but I'm not really into Burn.

Some months ago I started putting together Grixis Death Shadow, but as I understood lately Shadow is not in a great shape. Is this right?

Thank you!
I think Shadow is fairly well positioned. I think you can win nearly every matchup that is played often, outside of Humans and Dredge (depending on SBed games of course). UW Control and GB Rock are tough in my opinion and from my experience, but some Grixis Shadow players feel that it's 50/50, so they are probably that much better than their opponents, lol.

I would say Grixis Shadow is close to a top 5 deck and 100% a top 10 deck. (My opinion of course.) Why not try Esper Shadow though?
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

CavalryWolfPack
Pronoun: she / her

Post by CavalryWolfPack » 4 years ago

I've been playing Skred for 3 years. I love it to death, but as time passes I'm having a harder time actually competing. I don't really care about winning so much as having fun, and I'm not a tournament grinder by any means. I would describe myself as an FNM hero, personally. As such, I need something else to make Magic enjoyable again. Here's all that I'm considering, currently.

RB Vial Goblins
BG Death Cloud
Big Zoo

So, to me it's pretty obvious that I enjoy aggressive midrange, with very few decks I've ever enjoyed playing being grindy midrange. So, out of these three, which should I go with? My meta is a lot of UW, Burn, and Spirits.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

CavalryWolfPack wrote:
4 years ago
I've been playing Skred for 3 years. I love it to death, but as time passes I'm having a harder time actually competing. I don't really care about winning so much as having fun, and I'm not a tournament grinder by any means. I would describe myself as an FNM hero, personally. As such, I need something else to make Magic enjoyable again. Here's all that I'm considering, currently.

RB Vial Goblins
BG Death Cloud
Big Zoo

So, to me it's pretty obvious that I enjoy aggressive midrange, with very few decks I've ever enjoyed playing being grindy midrange. So, out of these three, which should I go with? My meta is a lot of UW, Burn, and Spirits.
I know these types of players exactly - they do very well at FNM, but don't play weekend tournaments. I sometimes wondered why some of these guys (for example a fellow Standard Delver player who I used to baaattttle with) don't play a GP. I have seen some recently branch out and they've done pretty well.

To attempt to answer your question, I've seen very few players outside of Reid Duke do well with BG Death Cloud. That one is out in my opinion. I think it's Gobbos or Zoo. Zoo is underrated. I've thought this for a long time. Why? Because we have an FNM dude like yourself that has won around 67% of the time with the deck since he started in 2013. He switches it up quite often and always keeps people guessing. That probably works better at a small time local level than a GP. Gobbos could be fun. I haven't tried them yet, as I regret selling Auntie's Hovel years ago. But there have been several 5-0 lists. I wish I could post from my WhatsApp to here because my play group JUST posted some lists. You could probably find them though.

Even though my screen name is FoodChainGoblins, I'd probably only play them here if Goblin Lackey was in Modern. Then I would jump aboard. Goblins used to be my favorite tribe, then during Lorwyn Faeries became my favorite tribe. After that, it was Elves and has been for a long time now...
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

Exares

Post by Exares » 4 years ago

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
I think Shadow is fairly well positioned. I think you can win nearly every matchup that is played often, outside of Humans and Dredge (depending on SBed games of course). UW Control and GB Rock are tough in my opinion and from my experience, but some Grixis Shadow players feel that it's 50/50, so they are probably that much better than their opponents, lol.

I would say Grixis Shadow is close to a top 5 deck and 100% a top 10 deck. (My opinion of course.) Why not try Esper Shadow though?
Thank you!
You're right, I was always thinking on Grixis DS and didn't consider Esper as a really separate strategy. Is Esper DS really different to Grixis. I can't find a primer or anything, just some decklists.
Apathy is death.
Varina, Zombie Queen
Edgar, Family Reunion
Sefris, Dungeons of the Forgotten Realms
Jhoira, Legendary Artifacts
Old Rutstein, Graveyard Weirdness
Raphael & The Infernals
Yawgmoth, Phyrexia Forever
Selvala, Wild Stampede
Jace, Always Jace

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Exares wrote:
4 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago

Thank you!
You're right, I was always thinking on Grixis DS and didn't consider Esper as a really separate strategy. Is Esper DS really different to Grixis. I can't find a primer or anything, just some decklists.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/m ... 7078#paper

Something like that. You may be able to find a better one on mtggoldfish. I've been using that site more and more for deck lists instead of just googling. :D
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

TearsOfTomorrow

Post by TearsOfTomorrow » 4 years ago

I don't have the money for fetches. Do I have any chance of being able to play this format?

ktkenshinx

TearsOfTomorrow wrote:
4 years ago
I don't have the money for fetches. Do I have any chance of being able to play this format?
You can definitely play Modern without fetches, and there are many top-tier options which don't use fetchlands. Examples include, but are not limited to:

Gx Tron
Humans
Mono R Phoenix
Fetchless UR Storm
Hardened Scales Affinity
Affinity
Amulet Titan
Eldrazi Tron

And those are just some of the more visible options. There are also plenty of more rogue decks (potentially with less competitive chops) in Ad Nauseam, Merfolk, Mono U Tron, Elves, etc.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

TearsOfTomorrow wrote:
4 years ago
While it's true that there are some options, as ktkenshinx listed, fetch lands are the "life blood" of this format. Several of those decks are just as expensive as decks with fetch lands anyway.

Humans doesn't have fetch lands, but it is a $1,000 deck.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

motleyslayer

ktkenshinx wrote:
4 years ago
TearsOfTomorrow wrote:
4 years ago
You can definitely play Modern without fetches, and there are many top-tier options which don't use fetchlands. Examples include, but are not limited to:

Gx Tron
Humans
Mono R Phoenix
Fetchless UR Storm
Hardened Scales Affinity
Affinity
Amulet Titan
Eldrazi Tron

And those are just some of the more visible options. There are also plenty of more rogue decks (potentially with less competitive chops) in Ad Nauseam, Merfolk, Mono U Tron, Elves, etc.
\

amulet doesn't seem too expensive but really rewards getting reps in. At first I didn't think that mono red phoenix was really that good but someone I play against a lot finished the deck and my mind has been changed on the deck

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 4 years ago

The current best deck in modern is still hogaak / dredge. Until they ban something significant to nerf it, you should either playing it or playing to beat it specifically.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

ktkenshinx

robertleva wrote:
4 years ago
The current best deck in modern is still hogaak / dredge. Until they ban something significant to nerf it, you should either playing it or playing to beat it specifically.
Friendly nudge for all users to not discuss banlist material here. This is a little borderline between genuine deck advice (permitted) and a veiled ban suggestion (prohibited). Needless to say, there isn't enough evidence right now to reduce Modern to "play Hogaak or anti Hogaak" unless I'm missing a compelling source of information. Many decks are viable and thread advice should reflect that.

robertleva

As of 7/26/19 the two decks you should either be playing or playing to beat are 1) Hogaak, 2) Izzet Phoenix.

Robert Leva

ktkenshinx

robertleva wrote:
4 years ago
As of 7/26/19 the two decks you should either be playing or playing to beat are 1) Hogaak, 2) Izzet Phoenix.

As noted above, for those just joining the thread and asking for decklist advice, these are not decks you "should be" playing. Other decks are also viable, especially at a local level. Those two decks are, however, decks you should be prepared to beat, and RL is correct in noting that.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

I'm gonna preface this by saying that I think I already know what I should play, but I like to hear some opinions. What should I play during MCQ Season (Modern)?

I am good at Titanshift. It beats a lot of the fair/Tron strategies that are out there and I feel very confident in my match ups there. However, it loses to degenerate crap. Should I try my luck with that and just hope to not get Gaaked (or beaten by goldfish decks meant to destroy Gaak)?

Or should I just run Hogaak Vine? I had pretty terrible luck at a recent 1K, but all of my opponents can't draw like that, right? The average starting hand for Gaak is not 5 or less, right? The deck was suuuuper consistent for me before with Bridge from Below, but I only played it twice since the banning, going 3-1 at FNM and 1-3 at the 1K. Those are not enticing numbers and even during Bridge from Below, I won around 66% of my matches, which is on the lower end for the top decks I've played in Modern. (Heck, I'm almost near that with Bogles, :( )
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

robertleva

You have the best odds of converting a Hogaak deck than any other deck right now. Make of that what you will.
Robert Leva

Mr. Yellow

Post by Mr. Yellow » 4 years ago

Im a Ad Nauseam player and recently put together a mono blue control list (thing in the ice, snapcaster, jace, archmagues charm, cryptic..) and since i like the idea, the performance is very meh.
I dont like UW so, what deck you recommend me? (i like combo, i saw lists with kiki/pestermite or madcap experiment, but i dont know if are competitive, and saw some blue/green temur flash control that seems interesting.)
Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”