ELD- Eldraine story and plane

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

I'm super excited for the next set and figured I'd start the thread for the story of Eldraine early to speculate on the story and the world.

Main story
While it might be a mundane such as Rowan having better art/design (looking like warrior mage red riding hood) its worth noting that Will isn't in the art with her and we been told a bunch that they go together. From a planeswalker calendar we got a mini bio saying the two even share a spark so it might be both are needed to be together to planes walk. It might be Rowan and Will returned home and someone/something has got Will and the story is Rowan going to save him.

Speaking of Maro has said there is a new walker character in the set who may be our villain for the story.

The event of this set also likely parallel the time frame of War of the Spark which would explain why Will, Rowan and the new walker character didn't show up to it. Maro has also noted that Will and Rowan where made for Eldraine and later added to Battlebond since they fit for partner walkers.

The World
Hard to tell what kind of races since the source material was very human centric. So far we have see merfolk and faeries as well as maybe Hags and Gobins. (for my own fairy tale set I did go with hags for the black characteristic). While the merfolk might be a one off, they already been blues go to blue race as well as I believe the lady of the lady art also being a merfolk.

From the Gingerbread house and the forest art its seems like "witches" normal live in the woods.

I would also except an Arthur character as well as his knights. From the pic of the round table we have I notice we had 5 knights and magic dose like its cycles, though I'd rather get princesses than knights.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

TheMagicWord
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

Someone posted this in a local magic FB group which I usually consider less serious than this site, but I havent seen anyone else talk about it.
It is supposed to be an except from the book Planeswalker. Is it legit?
Planeswalkers pg357.jpg
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

TheMagicWord wrote:
4 years ago
Is it legit?
Not, it's not. Lorwyn and Theros were never named before coming out.

TheMagicWord

Thats what I figured. Dont know why someone would spend the time to do that.

5colorsrainbow

Good new is Kate Elliot is back and wrote the Throne of Eldraine story "The Wildered Quest", bad new the story is moving back to ebooks. The "The Wildered Quest" will be out on Sept 4. for $3.99.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

SyntheticDreamer

Post by SyntheticDreamer » 4 years ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 years ago
Good new is Kate Elliot is back and wrote the Throne of Eldraine story "The Wildered Quest", bad new the story is moving back to ebooks. The "The Wildered Quest" will be out on Sept 4. for $3.99.
Considering how disastrous the War of the Spark book was, this is a breath of fresh air. I do find it interesting that the book will be out before the set is (the set releases in October). Unfortunately, this book will be the only Magic story for the set, as MTG Weekly announced there will be no Magic story columns on DailyMTG going forward...which is pretty disappointng.
TheMagicWord wrote:
4 years ago
Someone posted this in a local magic FB group which I usually consider less serious than this site, but I havent seen anyone else talk about it.
It is supposed to be an except from the book Planeswalker. Is it legit?
Planeswalkers pg357.jpg
For future reference, anything posted by @stillcary on Twitter (which is where this came from) should be taken with a grain of salt because they like to troll the Vorthos community every now and then. If they say it's an excerpt from a book, it probably isn't. :P
Lapsed DCI Rules Advisor - Retired from playing but still hanging around

TheMagicWord

Ah ok. Yeah I saw it on a magic facebook page and thought it was fake but didnt have the ability to prove it wrong.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

I love the fact Kate Elliott is back. She did phenomenal work on the Bolas origin arc. I am very pleased to see her return.

Not happy that the free online stories are no longer accessible. But I've always found Godsend to be worthwhile and loved it, so I can see myself purchasing material from this author, and this setting as well. I'll gladly do it for a return to Theros as well, but for some of the lesser appealing planes to me, such as Kaladesh, I'd rather get those stories for free as I could care less for the setting (and it may depend on the author they select as well). In those cases, I'd feel out of the loop on the lore, which is never good for a Vorthos.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

I'm meh about any storyline that Wizards decides to do anymore. After the disastrous travesty that was War of the Spark, I've lost ALL respect for WOTC as storytellers. Make me cool cards, like Yawgmoth and Urza, but as far as being emotionally invested into the characters... I'm out.

The fact that they're paywalling their stories is probably a smart business move, but it still sucks for long-time fans of the storyline... if there are any left?

I feel like this plane is going to be a blend of Lorwyn and Innistrad. Horror elements from witches, trolls, nightmares, etc. but with a whimsical feel at times as well. Fae have been framed in many ways over the years, and I think I would prefer a portrayal of the Fae as the Dimir segment of the world, like they did with Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, but with more maliciousness or overtly evil motives.

Odin_

Post by Odin_ » 4 years ago

Hard to say anything about quality. Children were excellent, also Gathering Storm is good so far. On the other side, we have WAR (not so good). Kate is talented but question is how much of her talent she can give to book. I have some hope because e-book is before release of set itself and also Kenriths could be interesting especially if they will meet possibly deadly magic (not sporting like in Valor's Reach). Setting itself could be interesting.

Beyondnoxx
Temple of Mystery caretaker

Post by Beyondnoxx » 4 years ago

I really hope this set is good, the theme for it is sooo good!

I love grimm and camelot.

My guess (read hope) is that main creature colors be something like this:

White: Knights! (we need them knights, I also want a enchantment of a round table xD)
Black: Witches (horrors)
Blue: Faeries! plz plz plz!
green: Beast (yeah I know its boring, but im thinking of all the strange creatures you see in the deep forest)
red: ?? Not so sure here...

I can't wait for spoilers to start.
- Noxx
Pauper:N/A
Commander:N/A
Modern:N/A
Cards to sort: 80.000-85.000 :hmm:

5colorsrainbow

Amazon description for Wilder Quest appeared;

"The exciting new story of Magic's latest release, Throne of Eldraine. The young warrior-mage twins Rowan and Will Kenrith quest for their missing father, the High King. Rowan and Will's powers are strong, but the world of Eldraine is a dangerous place! A thrilling mashup of Arthurian legend and Grimm's fairy tales seen through the unique lens of Magic: The Gathering, here you will find magic, monsters, and mystery true to both traditions."

So looks like Princess Rowan and Prince Will are the kids of the king Arthur equivalent of Eldraine who is missing. Since he's gone it might mean Will or Rowan are up for the crown.

Theory time : Will is the older twin and is staying behind at court to try and play "game of thrones" while Rowan travels out to look for their father. Feels in color for both as well to do these jobs.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

Nothing brings me more joy than seeing people think Cary's posts are serious.

And yeah, it feels right that Will would stay behind since he doesn't seem to be a prominent part of the story. Something must be up there, since they're all being so secretive and careful with their wording about Will. Definitely better than the 'Will is actually the damsel in distress because of SuBvErTiNg ExPeCtAtIoNs' theory.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

5colorsrainbow

This also popped up;

My thinking (from my own thoughts when making a fan set with the same flavor):
W- Fairy Godmother types who bless the good and punish the bad. Might replace angles as well as be "big" fairies that are human sized.
U- mix of trickster sprits and wise fairy tropes (maybe a tinker bell that gives everything flying). As the Faerie type is based in blue I think this where we will still see most of them.
B/R- I think we'd maybe see a few as emotion driven and/or dark fairy godmother. Maybe a few G ones for nature fairies BUT mtg faeries are very tied to having flying would be hard to fit a lot mono-green flyers. Similar to spirits on Innistrad, I could see them in all five colors but centers in WU for this world (and play with the flying theme in M20). Whats everyone else thoughts?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Surprised why they changed Rowan's hair to red from blonde.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Odin_

Post by Odin_ » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Surprised why they changed Rowan's hair to red from blonde.
Where is the change visible? In cover of Wildered Quest she has also blonde hair (although a bit darker, which can be caused by different lighting).

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Saw what seems to be an official art of her with red hair.

It's on another thread here on this forum. Just forgot where exactly.
I could also be making a mistake, and that girl with red hair that I saw is another character entirely.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

5colorsrainbow

From the story we find out the races of Eldraine include;

Goblins called Redcaps who keep the myth tradition of being blood stained and attack villages in mobs.

An Archon appears so it's likely no angels on the plane.

Elves who split into two groups, the ones in the Realms and the ones in the Wilds.
Some tension between elves and humans but it seems some of the elves are willing to work with decent human ruler. They also do a wild hunt each midwinter.

Giants are shown as mostly more civilized though not unsure if there are the more evil ones.

Small trickster fairies appear similar to ones normally found in magic, though they poof when killed.

Urges are mentioned as a threat to humans.

When a person dies in the WIlds they can become a lich who uses soul life sucking magic to make more of themselves.

Dragons are mentioned as an untamable creature on Eldraine following no elf or person.

Undine, Merfolk, who live in waters are will trade in secrets or information.

5colorsrainbow

Happy Halloween to us, we got a planeswalker guide. After the art book was cancelled I we wouldn't get to see the world of Eldraine from a non-story pov.

Things I found interesting;

-The five court artifacts where originally the elves. The arficts are also the sources of magic for the knights of each court.

-Ardenvale loyalty is based on kinship and trust and not on rulership.

-The test of knighthood from Ardenvale is to walk through the circle of loyalty. Those who fail don't always die, they get saved and healed, but are rarely allowed to try again.

-Vantress knighthood test is telling the magic mirror a secret and the mirror might then grant knighthood.

-Magic mirror was said to be made from an answered question that it tries to solve.

-Vantress is ruled by the mirror though the day to day stuff is run by an archmage the current one is Gadwick. He is as powerful as any other ruler of a the courts but tends to say of it to work on Vantress.

-Castle Locthwain floats on clouds and its knights are granted clouds to float on to get up and down.

-Figuratively Locthwain is lost with the Cauldron missing and super focused on getting the back. They also tend to look down on nobles who aren't knight and/or making efforts to help find the Cauldron.

- Ayara it seems was the ruler of Locthwain before the realms formed and the elves lost power. She is likely immortal and her court she her as a the pinnacle of persistence for still ruling, adopting and moving forward. Also all the terms used for her lovers and spouses she sends to their deaths looking for the Cauldron where gender neutral so I'm guess she has had non-male lovers.

-As the red court Embereth isn't too orderly with the "castle" being the whole city around it and the burning yards.

-They don't believing in being fearless but using fear to motive courage.

-Irencrag is a boulder that has magical heat. A wanna-be knight must plunge thier sword into it and try to remove it with sometimes the sword getting magical upgrade which is what shows Embercleave.

-Embereth is ruled by a counsel of nobles and knights.

-To gain a knighthood in Garenbrig one has to prove thier strength determined by Yorvo.

-Similar to Locthwain, Garenbrig was a giants kingdom before the realm and its giants joined the realm willingly.

-Non-humans are collectivly called the fair folk and various goals and motivation from creature to creature.

-Three kind of fae, meddling w, thieving u and prankster b.

-Dwarfs tend to dislike the too orderly systems the courts have so many tend to live in the wilds, but a few seek knighthood. Torbran was one but his sword was insulted by Irencrag he left, rumors said to forge an even better one to show up the stone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”