The CCL Discussion Thread

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Breaking news: I've just got a temporary job starting on February 3rd, which means I won't be able to host February as previously planned. Is there somebody else who can? I'm sorry if I let you all know only now, but I have literally known it less than an hour ago.
Wrong thread, I'm sorry. It was meant to be posted in the DCC discussion thread.
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Since the CCL design deadline was moved, we still have another day for crits right? [mention]slimytrout[/mention]

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Yes -- another 18 hours at this point.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Two questions about the CCL finals - Can the same color appear on multiple cards, so long as all colors are on all cards? Can a card be colorless, so long as all colors are represented on the other cards?

slimytrout

Yes and yes.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I'd like to ask everyone to vote in January's final poll. I'm even in it!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout

Ink-Treader wrote:
4 years ago
Could probably be a little cheaper.
Than a 3B 3/3 at uncommon that also often kills a small creature? There aren't even many 2B 3/3's without a downside, so not sure how it could get any cheaper.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

February's Top 8 is up. If you've qualified you've been mentioned in the first post of the thread, but check to make sure whether you're on the list anyhow.

Also: Is anyone interested in hosting the March CCL?

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

This week's been crazily busy and things probably aren't going to get any less busy next week (roommates moving out, new ones in, bills to sort out, and more). Can I cede from the competition and leave the other seven to it?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sad to see you go, but if an extension would not help on your end, well, we'll be pulling for your run next month.

Everyone does still have till midnight to edit.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Sad to see you go, but if an extension would not help on your end, well, we'll be pulling for your run next month.
That's very kind of you. :) The prompts have been very fun this month, I've just barely been able to put brain resources into card design this week.

I'm looking forward to next month, and to spectating as this month unfolds!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Putting out the call once again for an organizer for the March CCL.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

I may be able to do April, but definitely can't do March. (Or May.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

That's actually good to know. I think I may simply do March myself unless someone has a great idea they want to do ASAP.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I'll be hosting the CCL this month - round 1 will be up in the morning (Eastern US time).

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Don't forget March's round 1 is still going on!

slimytrout

So, do our cards for this round have to come from the wikipedia page or can we do other research? I just ask because there are only 2-3 items listed, all of which have already had magic cards made for them, whereas elsewhere (including on other wikipedia pages) there are many others that it might be easier to do novel treatments of.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

No, you can absolutely use something not listed in that specific page. The generalized list of mythological objects is a great place to look. Anything under the Arthurian heading there is fair game, or anything more obscure that you know about.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

As the April CCL starts in the morning, just a small announcement in advance: @spacemonaut, the April CCL organizer, and I have discussed and for this upcoming month contestants in rounds 1 and 2 will be asked to critique the next seven entries on the list at the end of the round instead of the next six.

This is on a trial basis, so if you finish up critiquing and find that seven is too many, speak up. But as a longtime organizer AND player I think that asking for one more critique per round will go a long way to increasing the number of evaluations every player gets without placing much of an additional burden on everyone. Thank you all for your understanding, and we hope to see a big turnout for April!

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

April round 1 will go up shortly.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Round 1 is posted. Have fun!

I'll be organised for the next round to go up promptly on the morning of the 8th rather than the afternoon. :P

I've made some small changes to our typical post format since the clarifications were pretty important this time around. I'll likely be keeping that format for the month.

slimytrout

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused by the rules of the round: the challenge explicitly asks for a monocolored card that rewards being in *its* enemy colors, but then cites Abzan Runemark as an example -- except green is an ally color of white's, and it's actually black that is an enemy of both. So does designing any wedge-based card work (like RaikouRider's submission), or does it have to be specifically centered on the "odd color out" (like frogchild's submission)?

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
Sorry, I'm still a bit confused by the rules of the round: the challenge explicitly asks for a monocolored card that rewards being in *its* enemy colors, but then cites Abzan Runemark as an example -- except green is an ally color of white's, and it's actually black that is an enemy of both. So does designing any wedge-based card work (like RaikouRider's submission), or does it have to be specifically centered on the "odd color out" (like frogchild's submission)?
On reflection I'm relaxing the challenge slightly:
Challenge: Design a monocolor card that rewards being in that card's enemy colors, or one ally and one enemy color.
Otherwise I'm sure we're going to see a lot of wedge-colored errors in submissions, since all of Tarkir's wedge-matters cards like this were ally-centric.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
the seven contestants below you on this list
Shouldn't this be six as usual and not seven?
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”