Old characters left for legends?

Candlemane
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

Since Commander Decks should be around the corner more or less, which characters / legendary creatures that haven't gotten cards would be interesting to print?

I'd like to see a card for the All Consuming Oni of Chaos, personally.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Working my way around the new site.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

My list may have run out. We got a Yawgmoth, we got a Varchild, we got O-Kagachi (not that it's much to write home about). I'm sure by this point most people's wish lists are dwindling.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I am still waiting for my Boros legendary Samurai general to helm a tribal deck. At this stage I'm guessing that I'm going to have to wait for a return to Kamigawa to get that.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Gix is my personal request.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

There are a few characters I'd like to see revisited under modern design sensibilities, like Volrath and Lim-Dul, but I can't think of any characters I'd really like that have never seen a printing. The last few years of sets have been great for printing cards for old characters.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

toctheyounger

The only other I can think of that I've heard about but never seen on a card is Tevesh Szat. I can't remember a lot about him from the lore, so not overly fussed.

Also, I know we have Marit Lage as a token, but it would be kind of cool to see it as a card itself.

Also also, not complaining about pre-god Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, but it would be freakin' sweet to see full-god Yawgmoth, Lord of the wastes in all his Phyrexian, tyrannical glory.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Also also, not complaining about pre-god Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, but it would be freakin' sweet to see full-god Yawgmoth, Lord of the wastes in all his Phyrexian, tyrannical glory.
I don't really want to see any of the oldwalkers/Yawgmoth at peak power. Those feel like difficult characters to balance cards for correctly. They can't be so overpowered as to break the game, but a mediocre card for a character described as basically a god is disappointing for flavor reasons.

toctheyounger

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
I don't really want to see any of the oldwalkers/Yawgmoth at peak power. Those feel like difficult characters to balance cards for correctly. They can't be so overpowered as to break the game, but a mediocre card for a character described as basically a god is disappointing for flavor reasons.
It's definitely a delicate balance. Especially considering how weird the manifestation of Yawgmoth actually became. I'm sort of torn, because I would love to see an actual, real card that is the Lord of the Wastes, but I'd be a little disappointed if it were just another planeswalker, and I share your concern for actually encompassing how awesome Yawgmoth is at that point in time on a piece of cardboard. I'd prefer it never got done than done badly. There's also the possibility of it being a 'jumping the shark' moment like with the OG Eldrazi titans, where people just inwardly groan at how stupid they are. So yeah, as much as I want it, it's probably best it doesn't happen.

Candlemane

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I am still waiting for my Boros legendary Samurai general to helm a tribal deck. At this stage I'm guessing that I'm going to have to wait for a return to Kamigawa to get that.
Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier. Maybe even RGW for one, though that really only accounts for one other samurai. RW is probably best.

To add to it, Yuriko and Kaseto seem to be newer. In Agents of Artifice (canon withstanding) Jace went back to Kamigawa to deal with some stuff on Tezzeret's behalf, so their is room I think for some more 'modern' legends from their.

With all the world building they've done and how well these places are usually fleshed out, I'm having a real hard time thinking of any character to choose from myself that doesn't get covered in some scope these days. Mileva from Ravnica? Maybe a legendary Archon from the early days of Theros, before the gods. A new Michiko after her 'ascension'. Hmm... Maybe I am remembering more than I thought.
Paper EDH

Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Thalia and Gitrog

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

We still need an Ashnod and a Tormod, right?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger

Ashnod would be cool if done well. Her Altar is infamous, so you’d hope if/when she gets a printing they’d do it some justice. They already have a tag line for her with her nickname ‘Ashnod the Uncaring’.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

We actually need quite a few Thran and Brothers' War era characters like Glacian and Tocasia...
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Candlemane

I just thought of the original guild Paruns of Ravnica that never lived into the first block, all from the time Azor was there (which could also someday mean we get him as a walker card).

There's also so potential from Argentum's past, before Memnarch took total control of the plane. Maybe another legendary Golem or something.

I'm still also awaiting the day we get The Fourth Sister of Gisela, Bruna and Sigrada.
Paper EDH

Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Thalia and Gitrog

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Right, of the first-go-round guild leaders, only debatably five - Niv-Mizzet, Razia, Szadek, Rakdos, some of the Obzedat - were Paruns. We've NEVER seen Cisarzim, Svogthir (himself and not Svogthos), Mat'Selesnya (ditto outside of Vitu-Ghazi), or "Doctor Simic" on a card.

By the same token we need the Tarkiri clan founders. Ilagra is a big need for me.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I'd like to see Tocasia, Ashnod and Gix for sure. Especially Ashnod

I love seeing really old characters finally getting cards

finally getting Urza and Yawgmoth made me happy

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

I'd like to see a retooled EDH playable Gerrard Capashen
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

Candlemane

vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
I'd like to see a retooled EDH playable Gerrard Capashen
That would be cool. I really like what they did with Mirri for the Commander deck.

I'd also like another Ashling. RW or RG might be cool, though I think if I see her again she'll be R with a WUBRG ability the way things are going. I wouldn't be mad.
Paper EDH

Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Thalia and Gitrog

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Candlemane wrote:
4 years ago
I'm still also awaiting the day we get The Fourth Sister of Gisela, Bruna and Sigrada.
This is a good one. I'm always down to build an interesting angel legend or an interesting BW legend and I've seen this mentioned before, so there's community interest as well.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

I really hope we get more of the Kamigawa book legends, which includes the All-Consuming Oni of Chaos. My personal favorite is Choryu from Minamo Academy. I am hoping most for that one.

The other two I want are Thanasis and Pavios from the story Emonberry Red set on Theros. The gay Theros Pyramus and Thisbe analogs, which I really want either on cards or at least depicted on a "Myth Card" the way Fated Infatuation references Narcissus, for example. Say, a Saga that depicts their tragic love story, as an idea. Either way, a card to encompass that story and myth.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Hal and Alena, Rat, Cisarzim, Svogthir, Mat'Selesnya and "Simic".

I would also love to see the Bolas-bug gods pre-Bolas.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Jivanmukta
The Spirit of EDH

Post by Jivanmukta » 4 years ago

Ethan has said he wants a new Gerrard, MaRo has Gix on his list of characters people want, the same list that had Urza, Yawg, Fblthp, that UG island thing. Both of them are "when" not "if".

I personally want ghost Szadek, Svogthir, Croag, a Kerrick/K'rrik transform legend, Belbe, and Gatha/Kreig partners.

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

“UG island thing” is Arixmethes

>_>;

Jivanmukta
The Spirit of EDH

Post by Jivanmukta » 4 years ago

Jace wrote:
4 years ago
“UG island thing” is Arixmethes

>_>;
Yea that thing.

RedDeckTries

Post by RedDeckTries » 4 years ago

Gryffid was a reasonably sized part of two novels (my mind has all but blocked Eventide out if he has a large roll there), but went on to appear exactly once on the Morningtide version of Disperse.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Yeah, there seem to also be Lorwyn and Shadowmoor characters missing cards - Mistmeadow Jack Chierdagh and Colfenor spring to mind.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”