[Deck Tech] Help me Improve My Commander Deck!

AllIdoisEDH
Pronoun: he / him

Post by AllIdoisEDH » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
AllIdoisEDH wrote:
4 years ago
Knollspine isn't for the beating. It's for the ETB. Knock a player down to less than 10 life with lands, cast Knoospine, draw an insane amount of cards and start pitching again.

I for some reason was thinking knollspine had to connect, had mixed it up with dragon mage. you are 100% right. Good card.

Still a bit pricy but the ability to shoot someone for 21, draw 21 cards and then finish the table is pretty nuts :)
It's absolutely amazing to do it and then just wipe out the rest of the table. Very satisfying. Would recommend, lol.

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 4 years ago

My Yeva deck here needs a shot in the arm. It's my oldest remaining deck (been around since Yeva was first printed in 2013), but it lacks the themes and cohesiveness that most of my other decks have. Despite the recent influx of insane green cards, it still just feels like a pile of clunky, expensive cards that don't mesh together well enough. Even EDHREC wasn't able to inspire me to do anything really special.

I know that I want to take advantage of Yeva's ability to grant flash to the large majority of the deck, and I don't want to do something too cliche like Elfball, but that's about as far as I got.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago
My Yeva deck here needs a shot in the arm. It's my oldest remaining deck (been around since Yeva was first printed in 2013), but it lacks the themes and cohesiveness that most of my other decks have. Despite the recent influx of insane green cards, it still just feels like a pile of clunky, expensive cards that don't mesh together well enough. Even EDHREC wasn't able to inspire me to do anything really special.

I know that I want to take advantage of Yeva's ability to grant flash to the large majority of the deck, and I don't want to do something too cliche like Elfball, but that's about as far as I got.
I don't play green often, and when I do it's a lot more casual than your list, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. My first instinct would be to move away from goodstuff green creatures and focus on a specific theme.

I like the idea of building around ETB effects with Yeva's flash, Temur Sabertooth, and Birthing Pod, and I'd probably add Evolutionary Leap, Eldritch Evolution, Panharmonicon, Conjurer's Closet, and Cloudstone Curio, then dig through scryfall for every decent green etb creature. I would also aim to keep the curve pretty low so that I could chain together multiple ETB creatures in a turn cycle.

Alternatively, you could look into other popular mono green themes like +1/+1 counters. Lots of good stuff there:
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

OCPunisher

The ETB idea is okay, but the one problem I see is that all of the cards you mentioned besides the Sabertooth are non-creatures, which are very difficult for mono-green decks to find and work with.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

So I know we've discussed this elsewhere, and I think off the top of my head I can see a few things I'd recommend purely to streamline things a little for you.

Here's what I'd cut at a quick glance:
Fauna Shaman - too slow for mono green
Duskwatch Recruiter - really just doesn't do enough
Genesis - I actually love this card, but I think it's a little dated sadly, it just doesn't do enough these days and it's a bit costly
Timbermare - This is a neat trick, but I think if you're hitting the right sort of cards this is really just surplus to requirements
Verdant Sun's Avatar - As far as ETB triggers go, lifegain isn't amazing. Personally, with Nissa, I don't tend to have too many issues with life totals, but then I do run a few fog variants

I'd HIGHLY recommend adding in Woodland Bellower. It's a very strong card. Great ETB, and it allows you chain together some bodies on field and get some other great ETB effects like Wood Elves, Reclamation Sage (why isn't this in the list??) and such. A favourite play of mine is to drop Bellower, fetch Fierce Empath, grab whatever other beater or control element I need at the time and set up my hand with some options.

Another really cool recent printing you should look at is Bramble Sovereign. That card is NUTS. Especially considering you're running Seedborn Muse, that puts your game on like, the easiest mode possible.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I personally don't think a lot of cost reduction in mono green, it seems surplus to requirements. Sure your stuff can get expensive, but you can also vomit most of your lands onto the table with relative ease, and the cost reduction you get from medallion et al is minimal by comparison; especially when you're running lands and creatures that can produce dozens of mana in the right place. I would definitely prefer to focus on land drops and/or mana additives, both of which you're sort of already running, so these seem like easy ways to trim some unnecessary inclusions. You could look at adding more removal, I guess, or more ramp, or whatever else you might like.

I'd also strongly recommend trying out Thorn Mammoth from the last set. Really good removal option, I swapped out Polukranos, World Eater for this and have not looked back at all.

If, as [mention]MeowZeDung[/mention] mentioned you do decide to go down the route of ETB triggers, those recommendations are good; there's also other options with things like Temur Sabertooth, Wirewood Symbiote, and Invasive Species. It's a small selection of cards to go with, but I think it's a strong option for Yeva, you have plenty of ways to make it really work well for you. And honestly, even if artifacts are hard to search up for us, the times you do get Cloudstone Curio and/or Panharmonicon on board really do make it worth their respective additions. They are just grossly strong. Wirewood Symbiote in particular, you could continue to bounce something like Wood Elves or Reclamation Sage with Karametra's Acolyte in play to grab yourself a straight up butt load of and get all of your forests in play or wreck the entire board state.

Hope this all helps and doesn't come off too critical; you're more than welcome to drop your list over on my primer, there's plenty of mono green brewers who can help you with critiques and options to help Yeva pop again :)
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Oooh, don't forget Fierce Empath! Ok, the non-green player will go back to his hidey hole now. . .
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

OCPunisher

[mention]toctheyounger[/mention], thanks for the incredible feedback!

I understand the logic behind most of your cut suggestions. Verdant Sun's Avatar is a seven-drop, Duskwatch Recruiter really takes a lot of work to get a minimal impact. Genesis will be tough to part with, but I'll manage. Also on the chopping block are Ugin, the Ineffable (a great card that doesn't really fit the theme), Genesis Wave, Courser of Kruphix, Scavenging Ooze, and Jorage Treespeaker.

Thorn Mammoth replacing Polukranos is pretty easy, just need to add one to the next cart.

I'm gonna try going down the path of more ETBs, most of which happen to be Elves, and try out Wirewood Symbiote as a sort of "package" card. Thanks again for your help!

toctheyounger

Very happy to help, I hope it all works out well!

FWIW that extended list hits some of the other cards I would've picked to replace too. And yes, Ugin, the Ineffable is a fantastic card, but this probably isn't the place for it.

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 4 years ago

OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger, thanks for the incredible feedback!

I understand the logic behind most of your cut suggestions. Verdant Sun's Avatar is a seven-drop, Duskwatch Recruiter really takes a lot of work to get a minimal impact. Genesis will be tough to part with, but I'll manage. Also on the chopping block are Ugin, the Ineffable (a great card that doesn't really fit the theme), Genesis Wave, Courser of Kruphix, Scavenging Ooze, and Jorage Treespeaker.

Thorn Mammoth replacing Polukranos is pretty easy, just need to add one to the next cart.

I'm gonna try going down the path of more ETBs, most of which happen to be Elves, and try out Wirewood Symbiote as a sort of "package" card. Thanks again for your help!
Toctheyounger definitely has some good advice, but for cards on your chopping block, I don't think I would ever remove scavenging ooze or courser of kruphix. Ooze is the best card in green for graveyard hate and it's searchable with bellower. Courser is likewise searchable and playing lands off of the top of the deck is solid.

If you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend looking through toctheyounger's spanish inquisition thread for a slow version. I also discuss a lot of my own yeva build in there and there is a lot of good information in the thread.

Incidentally, you can choose to remove it or not, but timbermare is pretty busted with yeva as a fog variant OR as an alphastrike option...declare attackers and then flash in timbermare for "surprise! no blockers for you."

OCPunisher

weltkrieg wrote:
4 years ago
OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger, thanks for the incredible feedback!

Toctheyounger definitely has some good advice, but for cards on your chopping block, I don't think I would ever remove scavenging ooze or courser of kruphix. Ooze is the best card in green for graveyard hate and it's searchable with bellower. Courser is likewise searchable and playing lands off of the top of the deck is solid.

If you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend looking through toctheyounger's spanish inquisition thread for a slow version. I also discuss a lot of my own yeva build in there and there is a lot of good information in the thread.

Incidentally, you can choose to remove it or not, but timbermare is pretty busted with yeva as a fog variant OR as an alphastrike option...declare attackers and then flash in timbermare for "surprise! no blockers for you."
You're absolutely right about the versatility of Timbermare, which is why I kept it in the list. I reached out to [mention]toctheyounger[/mention] after reading through his Nissa primer. Lots of very similar play between the two commanders.

Your point about Scavenging Ooze and Courser of Kruphix being solid Bellower targets is also very reasonable. Of the two, I think Courser is more replaceable as an effect, between Wayward Swordtooth, Oracle of Mul Daya, and the new Dryad of the Ilysian Grove. I don't think this is the right deck for the Dryad, but the other two are definitely worth playing and make it much easier to live without the Courser. Scooze on the other hand has no real equal in green, which means I would be limited to colorless options that aren't exactly fits either.

Based on this, and the fact that I now have three 3-drop ramping elves, I think I'm going to put Scooze back in for Farhaven Elf. As much as I've enjoyed the card over the years, the printing of a safer Harrow creature has pushed him down to third in line (Wood Elves gets the land untapped), so he has to go now.

I'll port more thoughts over to toc's thread and let someone else get some of this great help with their list. Thanks again!

Hipster Genocide

Post by Hipster Genocide » 4 years ago

Would take out:
Patron of the Orochi (8 mana? No way)
Prowling Serpopard (Not really needed unless everyone's running tons of blue - you flash things in when they tap out)
Ramunap Excavator (Why? Unless lots of land destruction in your area)
Green Sun's Zenith (sorcery speed is for losers. ABF Always. Be. Flashing.)
Panharmonicon (everyone craps themselves and kills it immediately)
Rhonas's Monument (doesn't do enough)
Regal Behemoth (everyone will hit you for the monarch)
Birthing Pod (sorcery speed)

Would put in:
God-Eternal Rhonas (your second craterhoof)
Ghalta, Primal Hunger (flash in a 12/12 for 2 mana lol)
Heroic Intervention (wraths hurt you bad)
Questing Beast (stops someone from ruining your big swing with a Fog)
Summoner's Pact (finds any creature for free)
Vernal Bloom (half the cost of Patron!)
Nissa, who shakes the world (Cheaper than Regal B. and you can get the sweet ult too)
Greater Good (don't sac a creature for one creature with B. Pod, sac a creature for tons of cards!)

Replace Rishkar's Expertise with Return of the Wildspeaker. Sorcery speed is...?
Also think about Nylea and Bow of Nylea, because the interactions of trample and deathtouch are just sick.

toctheyounger

Hipster Genocide wrote:
4 years ago
Would take out:
Prowling Serpopard (Not really needed unless everyone's running tons of blue - you flash things in when they tap out)

Would put in:
Nissa, who shakes the world (Cheaper than Regal B. and you can get the sweet ult too)
Greater Good (don't sac a creature for one creature with B. Pod, sac a creature for tons of cards!)

Replace Rishkar's Expertise with Return of the Wildspeaker. Sorcery speed is...?
Also think about Nylea and Bow of Nylea, because the interactions of trample and deathtouch are just sick.
Writing off Zenith purely for being sorcery speed seems a poor decision to my mind. Not having access to T1 Dryad Arbor seems detrimental, and the upside of having this available is significant from experience. Besides, the chances of running into Zenith again are pretty decent.
I also think Rhonas is WAY too conditional to consider. Purely dependent on what you have in play already, if your board is stacked with 1's all of a sudden you have 2s. That's barely worth casting. It also grants no evasion, and size doesn't matter if your creatures can be blocked with no real impact.
Earthquake Nissa is good, but she can't be flashed in, where behemoth can. She's cheaper but you also need to defend her, she doesn't give you draw, and her ultimate is slow to tick up without proliferation, and if you do go down this route you put your lands at risk in the meantime.
Wild speaker is cool and all, but Expertise gives you a free cast, which isn't nothing if you're holding up mana for outside of your turn flashes and don't have access to Seedborn. If anything rather than running one or the other I'd run both.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

I'm strongly considering changing the general of my Non-infinite elf-ball storm from Damia, Sage of Stone to Golos, Tireless Pilgrim purely to find Gaea's Cradle more consistently. Here's a summary of what the deck does from that thread.
materpillar wrote:This decks idea is to make it so all my creatures turn into rite of flame with things like Lightning Greaves, Tangleroot, and Earthcraft while also turning every creature into Divination with things like Guardian Project, Primordial Sage and Skullclamp. Once a creature adds G and draws me two cards I can almost certainly draw and play my deck. Then, you kill the table with Tendrils of Agony or Hunting Pack/Joraga Warcaller + Concordant Crossroads.
I'm not looking for advice in regards to any 1cc creature changes as I've literally just looked through every page of the gatherer about them. I'm more curious to know if there are any really strange effects in RW that generate a mana per creature like Tangleroot or draw a card per creature like Primordial Sage.

The only new RW cards I'm really considering (outside of a few 1cc creatures) are Manamorphose, Mass Hysteria, and wheel of fortune. I feel like there's got to be some other awesome cards for this deck in these colors though.

OCPunisher

Hipster Genocide wrote:
4 years ago
Would take out:

Would put in:

I agree with @toctheyounger on a lot of this:
- Patron of the Orochi untaps both lands AND creatures, including itself, so it's effectively another Seedborn Muse, which is easily the best card in the deck.
- Ghalta, Primal Hunger is a big body, but there are lots of those in mono-green, and some of them offer more utilty/upside.
- No one in my meta really plays fogs, and Questing Beast is still too pricey from Standard right now.
- I'd rather have the creature that draws me at least one card in Regal Behemoth vs a non-creature that puts my lands at risk. Plus, if someone wants to attack me and my flashy horde just to grab the monarch, so be it.
- Birthing Pod v Greater Good feels like a wash to me. It's one creature card of my choice vs several cards at once (depending on how big the fodder is). Green Sun's Zenith v Summoner's Pact also feels like a wash.
- I'm a huge fan of cost-reducers like Rhonas's Monument. They're more subtle than a Sol Ring and they save me tons of mana.
- You make a good point about Prowling Serpopard. I haven't actually used it in the short time that it's been in my list.
- Not sure why I put Ramunap Excavator in here. I always assumed that Crucible of Worlds was one of those cards that can go in anything, and this was a tutorable version of that card.

toctheyounger

OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago
Hipster Genocide wrote:
4 years ago
Would take out:

Would put in:

I agree with toctheyounger on a lot of this:
- Patron of the Orochi untaps both lands AND creatures, including itself, so it's effectively another Seedborn Muse, which is easily the best card in the deck.
- Ghalta, Primal Hunger is a big body, but there are lots of those in mono-green, and some of them offer more utilty/upside.
- No one in my meta really plays fogs, and Questing Beast is still too pricey from Standard right now.
- I'd rather have the creature that draws me at least one card in Regal Behemoth vs a non-creature that puts my lands at risk. Plus, if someone wants to attack me and my flashy horde just to grab the monarch, so be it.
- Birthing Pod v Greater Good feels like a wash to me. It's one creature card of my choice vs several cards at once (depending on how big the fodder is). Green Sun's Zenith v Summoner's Pact also feels like a wash.
- I'm a huge fan of cost-reducers like Rhonas's Monument. They're more subtle than a Sol Ring and they save me tons of mana.
- You make a good point about Prowling Serpopard. I haven't actually used it in the short time that it's been in my list.
- Not sure why I put Ramunap Excavator in here. I always assumed that Crucible of Worlds was one of those cards that can go in anything, and this was a tutorable version of that card.

Shabbaman
crying casual

Post by Shabbaman » 4 years ago

In an effort to provide my Glissa deck with some win conditions (and less boredom) I decided to try out some Vraska's in my deck. Full disclosure: I don't really like planeswalkers, the full amount of planeswalkers I have ever put into a deck is 2: Sarkhan Vol in a dragon deck, and Ugin, the Ineffable in this Glissa deck. I like Vraska as a character though, so I consider putting four of them in my deck. I could even go further and add Liliana, Dreadhorde General and Karn, the Great Creator to the deck. While that looks like a pile of planeswalkers, I have no idea if that'd mean I have to call my deck a planeswalker deck and add planeswalker support like Contagion Engine, Contagion Clasp and The Chain Veil. Are these cards worth running if they have little synergy with the general and the theme of the deck?
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

toctheyounger

I don't think that makes it a superfriends deck personally. You'd have to go all in on Doubling Season and proliferate to justify that. I also think most of the Vraska walkers are fairly lackluster. The uncommon and theme deck ones aren't worth it to my mind. Vraska, Relic Seeker and Vraska, Golgari Queen seem flexible enough to maybe put some work in, although the ultimates for both seem a bit disappointing (I've always thought that about her ultimates though).

I think if you're adding walkers there's justification for something like The Chain Veil and Contagion Engine - bare minimum if anyone tries to take you offline you can retrieve them with Glissa.

While you're adding walkers, Garruk, Cursed Huntsman could put in some work for you. Does what Glissa wants while ALSO drawing cards, that's not nothing.

Shabbaman
crying casual

Post by Shabbaman » 4 years ago

We're on the same page regarding artifact recursion, that's why I got to thinking about them. I feel cards need some synergy with a large part of the deck to warrant inclusion, and while I have some modular creatures I'm unsure that that is the case with Contagion Engine. The Chain Veil certainly isn't.

The uncommon Vraska puts counters on Glissa, so there's that. Perhaps I'll have explore where I get if I expand that theme.
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

OCPunisher

I agree that you could just add a couple of planeswalkers without making it a "superfriends" deck or adding degenerate stuff like The Chain Veil. As mentioned, Garruk, Cursed Huntsman does a lot of things well. Vraska, Relic Seeker and Liliana, Dreadhorde General also check a lot of boxes.

Small aside: when I evaluate planeswalkers, I basically ignore the ultimate and focus only on the modes that I can activate immediately upon resolution. If those modes work, then the card is worth playing.

Back to your problem: I don't think all Vraskas are created equally, and I wouldn't just throw them in there based solely on name value.
- Vraska, Golgari Queen doesn't blow up anything big (which is usually what you want to target) and requires fodder to draw an extra card (which you may or may not have).
- Vraska the Unseen has an okay second ability, and I've never seen the first ability do anything.
- If your deck has a high enough colorless density, then Ugin, the Spirit Dragon is very strong and versatile.
- Karn Liberated will usually Vindicate your biggest problem and eat someone else's actual Vindicate spell, so at worst it'll be a nice 2-for-1.
- Nissa, Vital Force is my favorite green planeswalker because she's the only one that can actually get to her ultimate on a semi-reliable basis, and her other two modes aren't half bad, either.

toctheyounger

OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago
Small aside: when I evaluate planeswalkers, I basically ignore the ultimate and focus only on the modes that I can activate immediately upon resolution. If those modes work, then the card is worth playing.
YES. Totally this. If you can't get value from a walker right away you shouldn't be running it. Basing inclusion on an ultimate you might never hit is a fool's errand.
OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago
- Nissa, Vital Force is my favorite green planeswalker because she's the only one that can actually get to her ultimate on a semi-reliable basis, and her other two modes aren't half bad, either.
For obvious reasons this iteration isn't my favourite :) but it's up there. She's undeniably good whatever you decide to do with her; she either pays part of her own cost and gives you her ultimate next turn, or gets you some value back from the yard. That emblem is legit, too - cantrips for doing what you are obviously going to have to do anyway is very good, especially when it's so easy to attain.

Millenhero

Post by Millenhero » 4 years ago

My jodah deck could use some help

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23958&p=66792#p66792

Still testing, but i have a feeling it goes a bit slow. while i'm still trying to get my wubrg online, opponents are already having big boardstates.
atm don't have budget for the Duals though, but anything else is welcome ^^

ashep01

Post by ashep01 » 4 years ago

I would really like some feedback on my Lich deck. Its very much in the early stages and I am trying to build it on a budget (although I have included some expensive cards that I already own), I would like to keep my lich and Lich's mastery as the focal point and tune up the deck some.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24781&p=74701#p74701

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
4 years ago

I'm not looking for advice in regards to any 1cc creature changes as I've literally just looked through every page of the gatherer about them. I'm more curious to know if there are any really strange effects in RW that generate a mana per creature like Tangleroot or draw a card per creature like Primordial Sage.

Mana Echoes

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

impact resonance+neheb

sleepy_mimi
eternally pining lesbian
Pronoun: she / her

Post by sleepy_mimi » 3 years ago

Hello! New on this forum but I've been banging my head against the wall trying to make this Gallia of the Endless Dance deck work as well as it can. Posted it on MTGSalvation to a few helpful replies but was hoping to get some more eyes on it here. This is the list in question, I'm going for not satyr tribal but just a general aggro approach. I don't have a lot experience with aggro and my main pal who I play with puts me in pretty difficult matchups, so it's been tough for me to gauge if I'm doing anything right.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”