Locked Previous topicNext topic
slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

January CCL Round 2

"Enchanted, I'm Sure"

Boon-Satyr-Art.jpg
Boon Satyr, by Wesley Burt
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

This month, the CCL is doing mechanics for card types other than creatures -- it's time for artifacts and enchantments!

Challenge
Design an artifact or enchantment card with a new or existing non-evergreen mechanic that only goes on artifacts or enchantments.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • If you use an existing mechanic, it is fine if it has only gone on enchantments or artifacts -- you don't need to dig into the Comprehensive Rules to check on the precise wording.
  • If you make a new mechanic, be sure to include clear reminder text so that it is easy to understand how the mechanic works. Also, it should be fairly straightforward why that mechanic would only go on artifacts or enchantments.
  • For reference, here is a quick list of all the existing keyword abilities that I found that fit this challenge, although I don't want to guarantee that it is 100% complete (i.e., the absence of a keyword from this list should not be taken to indicate that it doesn't satisfy the challenge): modular, sunburst, aura swap, fortify, totem armor, living weapon, bestow, crew. Enchant and equip are both evergreen, so they don't count.
  • The mechanic doesn't need to be a keyword ability to satisfy the challenge, as long as it is clear what the mechanic is. So things like constellation (an ability word - and no, we're not counting the cards that have been spoiled but not released), sagas (an enchantment subtype), and food (an artifact subtype) would all work.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, January 14th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (January 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due January 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (January 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due January 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (January 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due January 29th)
  • Final (End of month, winner determined by public poll)

marioguy3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Influenced Globe
Legendary Artifact (Rare)
Living Weapon (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 black Germ creature token, then attach this Equipment to it.)
Equipped creature gets +2/+2.
As long as Influenced Globe is equipped to a creature you control, creatures and lands you control have ": Add one mana of any color."
Equip — Sacrifice an untapped creature or an untapped land.
Last edited by marioguy3 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Nyxborn Pack 2{B/G}
Enchantment Creature — Wolf (R)
Bestow 5BG (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Deathtouch
When Nyxborn Pack becomes unattached, create a 2/2 black and green Wolf creature token with deathtouch.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has deathtouch.
Not all wolves are lone.
2/2
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 24th 2024 - Added TLL #7 and #6).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Wings of Night 1{u/b}
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+0 and has flying.
Magnify 2UB (2UB: Change this card's text by replacing all instances of "enchanted creature" with "each creature you control" until end of turn.)
"You wouldn't want to know what truly roams the skies when you sleep."
— Ashiok
Last edited by Ryder 4 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Geomancer's Tower 2
Artifact - Fortification (U)
Whenever fortified land becomes tapped, if it's a Mountain, add R.
3: Until end of turn, fortified land becomes a 3/3 Elemental creature with "{2/R}: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn." It's still a land.
Fortify 2 (2: Attach to target land you control. Fortify only as a sorcery. This card enters the battlefield unattached and stays on the battlefield if the land leaves.)
Last edited by Ink-Treader 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Unfinished Flamesword 1
Artifact (Common)
Remove a charge counter from Unfinished Flamesword: Equipped creature gets +3/+0 until end of turn and it deals 3 damage to any target.
Equip 1
RR or tap an untapped Artificer you control: Craft. (If this artifact has no charge counters on it, put a charge counter on it. It is an equipment as long as it has a charge counter on it)

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Guiles of the Specter 1U
Enchantment - Aura (common)
Enchant creature
Embody U (You may cast this spell for it's embody cost. If you do, as it resolves, create a 0/0 colorless Spirit creature token and attach this Aura to it.)
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and can't be blocked.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Butterfly Umbra 2WU
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has flying and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, create a token that's a copy of another target creature or enchantment not named Butterfly Umbra."
Totem armor
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Crotus Predator 3G
Artifact Creature — Beast Horror (Rare)
Devour 2 (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with twice that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
Modular 2 (This creature enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it. When it dies, you may put its +1/+1 counters on target artifact creature.)
"Consume, propagate, and let the strongest emerge as dominant."
—Glissa

0/0

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Solar Arquebus 5
Artifact--Equipment (Uncommon)
Sunburst
Equipped creature has "3, T: This creature deals damage to any target equal to the number of charge counters on Solar Arquebus."
Equip 3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 4 years ago

Skitterplate Licid 1RW
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Licid weapon (When this Equipment enters the battlefield or when equipped creature attacks, you may create a 0/0 colorless Licid creature token, then attach this to it.)
Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has haste and vigilance.
Equip 3
Phyrexia doesn't just adapt. It resurrects.

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Adaptive Growth 2G
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
This spell costs 1 less to cast for each aura you control.
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3
Aura Swap 2G (2G: Exchange this Aura with an Aura card in your hand.)

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Howling Visage 1G
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Masquerade 2G (2G: If this is in your hand, exchange it with an Aura you own on the battlefield.)
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2, is a Wolf in addition to its types, and can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less.
formerly willows

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Horizon Wings 1uu
Enchantment Creature - Spirit (u)
Bestow 1ww (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Flying
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and flying.
2/2

slimytrout

Round is now closed. Please critique the six contestants above you on this list, looping to the top if necessary.

marioguy3
bravelion83
Ryder
Ink-Treader
netn10
Gateways7
void_nothing
Subject16
kwanyeegor-ii
Jimmy Groove
Icarii
barbecube
Henlock

P.S. Don't forget to submit critiques for Round 1 as well.

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

netn10:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I get trying to convey the flavor of crafting the sword and trying to showcase this through mechanics, but this seems overly complicated. Crafting the sword should just put the counter on and give a static bonus for a common. Another activated ability the un-crafts the sword doesn't make sense. I also dont see why it needs to gain the equipment subtype instead of just having it to beginning with. It even has equip before you "craft" it anyway. The concept is cool, just the execution doesn't work for me.
Gateways7:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Living weapon for auras make sense, and making it involve spirits has a good flavor. A decent alternative to bestow, just not the most exciting or original concept overall. Could showcase the idea with a spicier design. Odds are this would be an uncommon like Flitterstep Eidolon.
void_nothing:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
This is a fun card. I get that you don't want the enchanted creature or the umbra to be copied, but the wording feels off. It's not the same effect, but just preventing the umbra from copying itself with be more elegant in wording and execution: "copy of target creature or enchantment other than this" Or something similar. This card does a lot for 4 mana between a boost, evasion, protection, and copying. It might be fair though as auras are higher risk cards. Does a butterfly convey copying? I'm not so sure.

Subject16:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
This is a surprisingly good combination of mechanics. I like you can devour additional copies of the Predator already on the field to net generate more tokes thanks to modular passing them on. The flavor is quite good too. If anything though this falls short of rare territory for me. Probably an uncommon as is. Devour is never going the be the most feel good of mechanics, but this use here has more merit than most.
kwanyeegor-ii:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Feels clunky. I'm generally not a fan of equipment cards that don't statically improve the creature. This card is deceptively powerful for limited, and while I feel you recognized that and tried to balance it accordingly, this still feels close to rare territory. I would like the design more if it was a rare with some static bonus to the creature. The flavor is also pretty generic, as is the use of sunburst. A one liner of flavor text could make the card feel unique. Overall not a bad design, just not the most exciting.
Jimmy Groove:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
This subtle upgrade to living weapon is more confusing then intriguing. I feel like you'd be better off for creating a separate mechanic for creating a token to attach to on attacking instead of adding that to living weapon. Give it its own flavor and identity. Then it doesn't beg the question "Why not just use living weapon? What was wrong with it?" Otherwise the card is good, albeit a rare for the stats with token production. It's main uniqueness is being living weapon+ but does so in a way that is distracting by directly referencing it. Lastly, the flavor text has me confused as I see no resurrecting here.
Top 3
1: void_nothing
2: Subject16
3: Gateways7

I like both void_nothing and Subject16 designs, and while I feel Subject16's is closer to being printed as is with no changes, void_nothings has more of the unique feel that I tend to prize and think is important in design contests. That broke the mental "tie" in my head. Good job to both of you!

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Judgments finished
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Odd piece of tech. Most obvious point of comparison is Chromatic Lantern. A Chromatic Lantern stapled to a Cryptolith Rite. It's probably fine. Doesn't need to be legendary though, especially without flavor text to back it up.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
The high bestow cost hurts a bit, but it's probably justified. Maybe it could be one less? I also wonder if Aura moving shenanigans can trigger that ability. Certainly an interesting idea.
Ryder
Show
Hide
Neat new mechanic there. The card itself feels stronger than it looks, but Auras do need some pushing to see play.
Icarii
Show
Hide
Aura swap is an interesting choice, considering the obvious conclusion to the mechanic (hello Eldrazi Conscription and friends). I do like how it's cost reduction ability interacts with Aura swap though.
barbecube
Show
Hide
Ah, reverse Aura swap. This is probably what that mechanic should have been. Seems solid, and with this card it's easy to see that there'd be a thematic 'is this creature type' trinket text on any card with Masquerade.
Henlock
Show
Hide
An interesting approach to allowing cheaper Bestow costs. Not the most exciting card, but I do like the statement.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Ryder
2. bravelion83
3. barbecube

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
marioguy3 - This card just feels like a mishmash of ideas and not a lot of it really makes sense, nor does it feel like a Phyrexian Equipment.

bravelion83 - The "becomes unattached" part of this card is really cool (especially for someone like me) and I like the flavor text of this card a lot. There's a couple of slight flavor problems - it really feels like the tokens should be enchantment creatures and Pharika is really associated with cold-blooded creatures instead of things like Wolves - but hey, maybe this is from a timeline where Garruk deposed her and became the new BG God?

Ryder - Magnify is super neat and this card is fairly costed. I feel like the Ashiok flavor fits this card pretty well.

Ink-Treader - Nice. A bit expensive for land animation but it gets significantly better if used with a Mountain. I like artifacts that can be used by any deck but get better with a specific color.

netn10 - Craft is really flavorful as a crew/Vehicle riff. It is, however, still a "drawback" mechanic, more so even than Vehicles because those have the advantage of dodging removal when not animated.

Gateways7 - Embody is a well-worn custom mechanic and I think I like versions that make a token that isn't 0/0 better, to differentiate from living weapon a bit more. Still, the execution of this card specifically is good, although the word "Specter" in the name makes less flavor sense in Magic because of what the Specter type specifically is. "Guise of the Phantasm" or something similar would have worked better.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Ryder
2. bravelion83
3. Ink-Treader
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Done.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Horizon Wings 1uu
Enchantment Creature - Spirit (u)
Bestow 1ww (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Flying
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and flying.
2/2
Ok, now I'm jealous. I wish I had though of something as easy and elegant yet undone like off-color bestow costs. I have nothing to saying but praises about this card, take the first place and let's just move on!
barbecube
Show
Hide
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Howling Visage 1G
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Masquerade 2G (2G: If this is in your hand, exchange it with an Aura you own on the battlefield.)
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2, is a Wolf in addition to its types, and can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less.
It took me a surprising amount of time to get that masquerade (yes, for other Linkin Park fans, I've immediately thought of "Final Masquerade" too) is a reversed aura swap. At first I read it exactly like aura swap and I was like "Why did they need to make a new keyword?" Now I've got it, you activate this from your hand and aura swap from the battlefield. I like this, I can see it in a limited environment for today's standards, and I also like the flavor (though no flavor text is a bit of a bummer). I don't like how easy this is to mistake for aura swap.
Icarii
Show
Hide
Icarii wrote:
4 years ago
Adaptive Growth 2G
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
This spell costs 1 less to cast for each aura you control.
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3
Aura Swap 2G (2G: Exchange this Aura with an Aura card in your hand.)
So in its best case scenario, this card is a permanent Giant Growth at uncommon. Strong, but with enough hoops to jump through. The problem is the usual problem with aura swap: you pay three mana to exchange this with an Eldrazi Conscription. But that's not your fault. It's the mechanic that is designed this (problematic) way. In fact, I'm convinced this is why this is a futureshifted mechanic that we haven't seen it reprinted yet. Overall, probably one of the best cards you could make with aura swap, but that has the problems of aura swap. Also Quality: a full stop is missing right after +3/+3, the word "swap" should not be capitalized.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove wrote:
4 years ago
Skitterplate Licid 1RW
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Licid weapon (When this Equipment enters the battlefield or when equipped creature attacks, you may create a 0/0 colorless Licid creature token, then attach this to it.)
Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has haste and vigilance.
Equip 3
Phyrexia doesn't just adapt. It resurrects.
I get the pun in naming the mechanic that way, but I'm convinced too many less experienced and/or casual players would just mistake it for living weapon. The rest of the card is fine. Not exciting to me, but hey, here in the Boros Legion you start with simple weapons like this and only then you work your way up! Maybe I've already past that point. I'm a soldier by now, no longer a recruit! :)
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 years ago
Solar Arquebus 5
Artifact--Equipment (Uncommon)
Sunburst
Equipped creature has "3, T: This creature deals damage to any target equal to the number of charge counters on Solar Arquebus."
Equip 3
Ok, I'm tired. I always point out the same things, you ignore them, and here we are again. Honestly, at this point I think you either don't even care about formatting, or you do it on purpose. The card is something I'd see perfectly as a red colored Equipment, costing 4R. But the Quality mistakes and the unwillingness to learn are enough to me to not vote for your card. I'm sorry.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
4 years ago
Influenced Globe
Legendary Artifact (Rare)
Living Weapon (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 black Germ creature token, then attach this Equipment to it.)
Equipped creature gets +2/+2.
As long as Influenced Globe is equipped to a creature you control, creatures and lands you control have ": Add one mana of any color."
Equip — Sacrifice an untapped creature or an untapped land.
So here's the actual living weapon. An global effect requiring to be "connected" to a source. It would feel original if it hadn't already been done in Future Sight with Emblem of the Warmind. Sure, that's an Aura and this is an Equipment, but the step from one to the other is rather easy. A very interesting balance in the self-sacrifice equip cost.
Top 3
1st place: Henlock - No questions asked.
2nd place: Icarii - The problems are not your fault, it's just the way they have worded aura swap.
3rd place: barbecube - As soon as you understand what masquerade really is, it makes total sense.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 24th 2024 - Added TLL #7 and #6).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
Gateways7: I like this concept a lot. I think however there are some wording issues, see Rageform and the like for how WotC handled it.

void_nothing: I don't understand the flavor of the copying ability here. However, it's a fun looking card and a good use of totem armor.

Subject16: I'm not sure how devour and modular interact! I had to ask a judge about it.

kwanyeegor-ii: This seems like it should be a rare but I like it a lot.

Jimmy Groove: The term "licid weapon" is a bit too close to "living weapon" for my taste but I appreciate what it's doing here.

Icarii: I basically like this card but I have to mark it down because Aura swap is a dangerous ability that severely restricts what Auras can be in an environment with it.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. void_nothing
3. Jimmy Groove
formerly willows

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Ryder - This looks pretty fun, seems like a go wide UB thing, interesting idea

Ink-Treader - Fortifications I think were considere to have low design space but this is cool especially with the multiple abilities

netn10 - Really strong if you can craft multiple times in a turn, basically can wipe the opponents board

Gateways7 - pretty nice, the new keyword is simple but useful

void_nothing - Spitting out that amount of token copies could get complicated, this is a great candidate for totem armor though

Subject16 - Devour and modular go perfect and this is a good mashup if kinda simple

1 Gateways
2 Subject16
3 Ryder
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
Henlock - I like that you're using different costs for the card and it's ability, but considering both are in both colors, you could have probably picked one or even gone for hybrid colors. Also, 1UU for a 2/2 flyer with upside is understatted (Academy Drake), but I think the bestow ability is fine where it's at.

marioguy3 - I'm not sure that a globe really makes sense to be a weapon, but I really like the mechanical quality of the card and the playstyle it creates, especially that sacrifice ability.

bravelion83 - I think there's a lot too much text on this card, but overall it's a pretty cool card and I like the tech of "when this becomes unattached" on a Bestow creature.

Ryder - This is a super cool effect, and I think that's it's a really creative use of Aura design space. Maybe a bit powerful considering it's a repeatable way to make all of your stuff way harder to block, but cool nonetheless.

Ink-Treader - Fortify is a weird mechanic, but I really like the first line of text and the flavor of the card. Making the land into a creature for a price is a bit weird though - wish it could be a permanent ability. (The combo of getting mana when you attack is really cool, if not a bit weird due to timing - maybe have it not empty from your mana pool until EOT.)

netn10 - Craft is a bit weird as a strange version of equipment, but I love the activated ability and how it interacts with the card and the flavor of being able to tap Artificiers to get charge. Sold!

1. Ryder
2. netn10
3. Ink-Treader

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

barbecube: Aura Swap in reverse. I think this can work well in a set with enough masquerade ro be swapping things around accprding to your needs. I'm.not sure how big the design space for this ability is, tho.

Icarii - Aura swap forward. Eldrazi conscription aside, I feel rather similarly. In a set with enough auras to swap according to your needs, it looks great. I think the cost reduction works as a signpost hint in a draft.

Jimmy Groovw: Veey Boros and very interesting ability, that makes sure your equipment gets attachwd ro the fittest body.

kwanyegor: A ton of mana investment here but really somethibg that will end the game if not dealt with. Very powerful but it takes enough to assemble so as to give tje opponent a vhance to plan how to deal with it.

Subjwct16: Nice mix. It looks quite nasty if it devours one of itself. Nice engine-oriented rare

voidnothing; I feel the copy effect plus evasion plus totem armor is a bit a lot for the cost. Might need to coat more.or add some.kind od limitation.

1. Jimmyagroove
2. kwanyegor
3. Subject16

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

marioguy3
Show
Hide
Honestly I don't even get what is the card supposed to represent. I see just a couple of seemingly disconnected mechanics. As it is, it's a 2/2 for 5 that makes your lands produce any color. Ok. It eats lands or creatures to equip. Ehh ok? I can't wrap my head around it.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
I love the flavor! One wolf dies, two more appear. Seems very fair too, maybe you could even shave 1 mana off the Bestow cost.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Attaching itself to the token during the attack is neat, I approve. What I don't like is how it makes the token immediately (stepping on living weapon's toes) and how your card is weirdly un-synergistic with your mechanic. The token gets haste but it's too late to attack with it. I'd make it create an attacking token and drop the etb effect.
Icarii
Show
Hide
Looks pretty generic, the cost reduction feels forced. Overall, the card is correct and solid, but far from thrilling.
barbecube
Show
Hide
I've had the exact same idea for the mechanic but you beat me to it! I'm not sure this wording works, but assuming it does: Solid card, but either the daunt effect is too much or it's undercosted.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Makes perfect sense and it's very elegant. Off-color Bestow feels fresh.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. bravelion83
2. Henlock
3. barbecube

slimytrout

Critiques are closed! Top 8 is done:

Ryder
Ink-Treader