[Official] Modern Prices Discussion

ktkenshinx
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

Please use this thread to talk about all things related to Modern prices. By posting in this thread, you acknowledge you have read and understood the thread's rules.

Examples of topics anyone is welcome to discuss in this thread include, but are not limited to, the following:

Approved topic examples
  • Asking what cards to hold, sell, and buy.
    (e.g. "With the GP season coming up, should I sell my fetchland playset now or hold onto it?")
  • Constructively discussing the rising price of Modern staples.
    (e.g. "The enemy fetch prices keep going up! This will probably be a barrier to new players entering Modern.")
  • Constructively theorizing about how Wizards can lower prices for the format.
    (e.g. "One option is for Wizards to rush out an MM2 style product every 6 months to stabilize prices.")
  • Any other constructive discussion about prices or the Magic economy
    (e.g. "Should I invest in MTGO Modern with Arena becoming such a major product?")
  • Showing users a swagged out deck that you are proud of
    (e.g. "Just finished my foiled German Grishoalbrand deck. BEHOLD!!")
Examples of prohibited thread topics include, but are not limited to, the following. Users who engage in this behavior may be warned or infracted accordingly.

Prohibited topic examples
  • Any post that breaks an MTG Nexus or Modern forum rule
    (e.g. no spamming, trolling, flaming, etc.)
  • Stay on Modern prices, not Magic finance generally.
    (e.g. no complaining about the rising cost of Standard)
  • No talking about "Magic/Modern is dying," the Reserved List, etc.
    (e.g. "Just sell out of Modern because it's a bad format Wizards will eventually replace.")
  • No discussion of fake cards other than to warn players about buying/spotting them
    (This topic borders or crosses the border into illegal activity. Moderators have decided to prohibit it)
  • DON'T RESPOND TO TROLLING/FLAMING/SPAMMING. Just report it!
    (If you get involved in a flame war you can get infracted too, regardless of who started it.)
  • No brag posts
    (e.g. "Just bought 4 Tarns for $20 each. Good deal?")
  • Personal criticism not related to Magic
    (e.g. "If you got a real job and budgeted better then you could afford fetchlands.")
  • No card creation
    (e.g. "All of this would be solved if they printed my fixed fetchland variant here...")
  • No reprint talk if the reprint isn't already in the format
    (e.g. "Fetches would go down if WotC just reprinted Price of Progress")
  • No banlist talk
    (e.g. "Time to ban Surgical Extraction; it's too expensive and needs to be banned.")
If you have a question about a topic/post, feel free to PM a moderator before posting about it.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

with leyline of the void being in Core 2020, when would be the best time to get my 4th? if it matters I'm specifically looking to get a 4th one from whatever core set it was in before this one

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

hoping the price of Prismatic Vista to someday go down. 25-27 still too expensive,

and not many decks are using it,..
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 4 years ago

Hot take: Modern Horizon caused so many more problems than it solved. It was a set destined to drive prices up. Anything that sees any amount of play has (and will continue) to skyrocket in price, and will not see reprints any time soon.

It's neat to have these new cards, but just as I predicted, they will continue to be needlessly expensive.

Hesperos

Post by Hesperos » 4 years ago

Agreed. I think a straight to modern set was a mistake. While it allows WotC to print cards with a more appropriate power level for modern, or with mechanics they don't want to print into standard, it makes modern even more expensive to get into. MH prices will only shoot up when the supply starts to run low (which I would expect to happen far sooner than most, due to M20 so soon after). MH cards also have no good reprint window other than future reprint sets, so I expect the cards that are putting up results now (force of negation, wrenn and six, urza) to become some of the most expensive cards in the format.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

so I guess it's better to grab what we need from Modern Horizons now, while the prices are still not too high?

well, got most of what I need.. except the prismatic vistas as those are outside the budget.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Necrofish
Answers: 2

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

I won't be able to afford two Force of Negation for my Faeries deck.
Price has been steadily climbing and will probably only continue to. Doesn't help that the boosters are that expensive either.
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

a friend of mine also not able to afford 2 FoN for his merfolk deck. :(

Is MH1 a limited print, only a small quantity?

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

It is "print to demand". The problem, of course, is how much demand is there. It is twice as much as a normal set (even including Conspiracy or Battlebond), M20 was just released and has some decent cards for a core set, and most limited events will likely be M20 due to the cost of MH1.

So, unless there is some sort of major event that forces the use of MH1, I am not sure if the demand for boxes is there. Also, I know my LGS is also having issues getting more MH1 (they were slow to get more War of the Spark too) so that could be hurting things.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

Wrenn and Six eclipsed the $70 mark. Pretty silly, even as good as the card is.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

Necrofish
Answers: 2

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
Wrenn and Six eclipsed the $70 mark. Pretty silly, even as good as the card is.
Makes me feel really sad for Tibalt. Especially with the latest Innistrad having been a great time to release another 2 mana Tibalt that works with madness and doesn't suck.

I also don't feel like opening Boosters since I really only need one or two cards at best. Which in turn only increses demand without adding to the supply. Turns out I'm part of the problem.
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

The canopy lands are going to be so expensive, too. I bought my four Sunbaked Canyons for Burn when they were $12 and they've already gone up to $16.

If MH1 had been a normal priced set, people would have been more inclined to draft a lot of it, I'm sure. Many people I spoke with said they only drafted it once because of the higher price. This'll definitely be a mar on an otherwise fine set. At least the Art Series cards were dirt cheap to pick up lol?
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

idSurge

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

I grabbed the WB, UR, and UG canopy lands, and agreed all should go up over time.

Makes me wonder when they complete the cycle.
UR Control UR

motleyslayer

idSurge wrote:
4 years ago
I grabbed the WB, UR, and UG canopy lands, and agreed all should go up over time.

Makes me wonder when they complete the cycle.
I almost bought into the WB one because I saw a Mardu Death Shadow list I liked, probably gonna that and the UR one sooner rather than later

Hesperos

MH1 is still very interesting. Box EV is quite a bit above the cost of a box, and all cards that are seeing any sort of play are going up (sometimes quite a bit, like Wrenn and Six and Hexdrinker). I'm still trying to decide if it's worth getting another box, and if so if it's better to crack it or sit on it.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Hexdrinker has turned modern Mono-G Stompy from being budget to not so budget anymore.
Creature was tested and proven to be good there. From last I saw at a post in mtgs stompy thread, it has increased almost 10$ from previous price.

idSurge

Veil of Summer may be worth looking at for those who spec on things in bulk. I just grabbed some Japanese ones to try out instead of Force of Negation, that I wont pay for, as my 'interaction'.
UR Control UR

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

if midrange decks using black become dominant in modern. Veil might rise in price as it's quite good against those kind of decks. It "counters" thoughtseize, kolaghans. command, and several black removal spells.

motleyslayer

I'm probably gonna bite the bullet and get my set of seasoned pyromancer soon, I can't see them dropping much and I just want them.

what about force of negation

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 4 years ago

motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago
I'm probably gonna bite the bullet and get my set of seasoned pyromancer soon, I can't see them dropping much and I just want them.

Both are going to go nowhere but up. Released in an expensive, "limited, but not limited" set, that hasn't been opened nearly as much as it could, and which contain cards that likely will not see reprint for 1-2+ years, anything and everything that sees any play will continue to climb to astronomical price levels.

Let's just say I'm glad I didn't trade away my Seasoned Pyromancers back when they were "only" $16, and I'm glad I got my Forces when they were "only" $22.

idSurge

Not getting Force was a massive mistake on my part. :/
UR Control UR

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

idSurge wrote:
4 years ago
Not getting Force was a massive mistake on my part. :/
I think it's okay. They haven't changed in price much. I bought 1 for $26 and 3 from another seller for $30 :( just recently. It kind of sucks and I know for sure they'll be lower after the Magic Fest Las Vegas MH Sealed, but I can't wait to try Daniel Fournier's UW Control. It really intrigues me. :grin:

Then again, it's hard for me to justify playing anything other than Hogaak since it's busted and (LMFAO) Wizards banned the right card, lol. ;)
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

I hope swarmyard get reprinted somewhere to decrease the price.
It feels like the kind of card whose price is high only because of lack of reprints.

Hesperos

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
Then again, it's hard for me to justify playing anything other than Hogaak since it's busted and (LMFAO) Wizards banned the right card, lol. ;)
Enjoy it while you can :grin: !
cfusionpm wrote:
4 years ago
motleyslayer wrote:
4 years ago

Both are going to go nowhere but up. Released in an expensive, "limited, but not limited" set, that hasn't been opened nearly as much as it could, and which contain cards that likely will not see reprint for 1-2+ years, anything and everything that sees any play will continue to climb to astronomical price levels.

Let's just say I'm glad I didn't trade away my Seasoned Pyromancers back when they were "only" $16, and I'm glad I got my Forces when they were "only" $22.
I expect prices to remain pretty stable. Maybe take a slight dip as a lot of product will be opened with various limited events in the near future. Prices will then probably start to climb slowly as supply starts to dwindle. I don't think we'll see another big wave of boxes hit the market, but Wizards may surprise us with a big wave for Christmas or something.

Soadi

Post by Soadi » 4 years ago

Went yesterday to draft some M20 and my LGS had a 3 pack MH for 20 so purchased a couple to draft with some friends each with their own pack of 3 and in mine was Urza, foil and regular W6. Simply amazing.

What do you guys think of foil versions? Will they hold?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Modern”