Unreleased and New Card Discussion

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

That Heliod-Ballista combo seems likely to impact the game for a long time.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
That Heliod-Ballista combo seems likely to impact the game for a long time.

Sure. Definitely a cheaper version of Mike & Trike.

If you were to have Heliod, Sun-Crowned as your commander then here are cards that can search for Walking Ballista in mono-white..
Enlightened Tutor
Recruiter of the Guard
Ranger of Eos
Ranger-Captain of Eos
Citanul Flute
Kuldotha Forgemaster
Mangara's Tome
Planar Bridge
Planar Portal
Ring of Three Wishes
Scrapyard Recombiner
Skyship Weatherlight
Eye of Ugin
Sanctum of Ugin
Inventors' Fair

pokken

Yeah, it definitely becomes the instantly strongest mono-white commander by a landslide. Teshar eat your heart out :)

For me in Azorius I haven't even started plumbing the depths of the recruiter, spellseeker and intuition chains.

Stuff like trinket mage, tolaria west and on and on and on.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

Escape Velocity sounds like it should grant flying instead of haste based on the name...

as for reprints Idyllic Tutor :O *happy snoopy dance*
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

FoxOfWar
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoxOfWar » 4 years ago

Kunoros, Hound of Athreos. Or as the saying goes... best puppy. Best puppies? One of those cards that I just want to find a home for. Not entirely sure where yet.

Storm Herald seems like it could pull a decent boom in Tiana lategame, although have to see how much non-Tiana recursion I'm actually running... how much can the exile sting?

Nadir Kraken is cool, but I'm not sure I have a deck for it. None of my token decks are blue... and my heavy-drawing decks don't have much use for the tokens, even if I get a ton of them.
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

75chan
Shoegaze ♥

Post by 75chan » 4 years ago

Even as a fair card, Heliod seems fine as repeatable lifelink.

Escape Velocity seems decent in a deck that doesn't care a lot about the graveyard and wants a repeatable haste outlet specifically for one thing.

I like Glimpse of Freedom, but the cost of exiling 5 cards is too high for me to consider it in anything... I'd rather just run Think Twice at that point, and that's nowhere near making it's way into any of my decks.
I swap decks a lot
wr Avacyn with defensive blinking
ur OG Jhoira spellslinger without MLD or eldrazi
and some other stuff that are more or less messy

Best card

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 4 years ago

Really happy to see a new Chimera, especially one as nice as Treeshaker Chimera. I also hope that Hero of the Winds' artwork means there will be new Griffins as well.
Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
Escape Velocity sounds like it should grant flying instead of haste based on the name...
Only when considering a gravity well, speed seems to be equally implied and haste seems fine too. Though as a UR that granted Haste and Flying would likely be the most ideal.
FoxOfWar wrote:
4 years ago
Kunoros, Hound of Athreos. Or as the saying goes... best puppy. Best puppies?
In the Dresden Files, Hades uses the singular:
Skin Game
Show
Hide
He reached out a hand to the middle head of the dog and scratched it beneath the chin. One of the beast's rear legs began to thump rapidly against the floor. It sounded like something you'd hear coming from inside a machine shop. "Do you know my dog's name?"

"Cerberus," I said promptly. "But everyone knows that."

"Do you know what it means?"

I opened my mouth and closed it again. I shook my head.

"It is from an ancient word, kerberos. It means 'spotted.'"

I blinked. "You're a genuine Greek god. You're the Lord of the Underworld. And . . . you named your dog Spot?"

"Who's a good dog?" Hades said, scratching the third head behind the ears, and making the beast's mouth drop open in a doggy grin. "Spot is. Yes, he is."

I couldn't help it. I laughed.
V/R

Treamayne

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

I kinda wish it was "whenever an opponent casts a spell" instead of "whenever an opponent casts an instant or sorcery spell", because then I'd be more inclined to try Arasta in my Spiders deck.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Hermes_

With everything so far,I kind of want to get Opalescence just for kicks...

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

This jeskai mage isn't blown away by much yet, but there's goodies for sure.

Dalakos, Crafter of Wonders is ok and could be a neat build around, but will probably just go in Saheeli, the Gifted .

Daxos, Blessed by the Sun might be worth it in a token build, but I'm not sure.

Grasping Giant and Tectonic Giant plus some of the good giants from eldraine have me thinking... Tectonic might go in a lot of mono R and Boros decks with the impulse draw. Definitely in my Keranos pingers :cool:

Sphinx Mindbreaker for Jalira mill, maybe even Sweet Oblivion.

The Akroan War for Pramikon proliferate maybe.

Underworld Breach had me the most excited!

Victory's Envoy is probably too slow for my tastes, but there are ways around that.

Wavebreak Hippocamp in Jori En maybe???

New Heliod and Purphoros are going to be all stars in my buddy's cube, but I'm not likely to indulge 2 card Heliod combos in my edh decks tbh.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 years ago

Polukranos, Unchained is my kind of magic. He can eat bigger dudes easier and he's a monster if you can keep him escapin'. I'm considering him in Windgrace as another recurring threat alongside Multani and Jarad.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

FoxOfWar
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoxOfWar » 4 years ago

I'm giving Polukranos Unchained a spin in my non-red 'counters matter' deck... as a repeatable removal in a deck that has fairly little recursion in it - and a ton of ways to put more counters on Polu, including Vigor which is just unfair.

As his own commander, I would be thinking some kind of spammy, pseudo-control build that doesn't care much for its' own graveyard, leaving plenty of space to abuse Polu as needed. Less win condition, more a sort of recurring removal.
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

pokken

Helloooooooo Nurse.

This set has been very good to my Ephara deck I must say, and to Ephara in general. Opening up lots of new strategies and improving my deck.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Man, Thassa, Deep-Dwelling goes infinite turns very easily with Archaeomancer. Its like the old Crystal Shard tactics but with shard being your commander in this case.

What is up with all the combo commanders this set?
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
What is up with all the combo commanders this set?
They did say they were going to try to raise the power level of Standard-legal sets a bit. On the plus side, at least the cards look interesting.

Anyway, particularly interesting cards from the last few days...

Haktos the Unscarred looks awesome. I'm usually not a fan of Boros combat-focused commanders, but this looks like the most hilariously awkward voltron commander ever.

Thassa, Deep-Dwelling is Conjurer's Closet in the command zone. Brago sends his regards.

Archon of Falling Stars is expensive, but I can't think of many other ways to reanimate an enchantment. Admittedly, the best targets are black and blue, but still a nice thing to add to white's toolbox.

Nylea's Intervention tutors for a pile of nonbasic lands. This seems abusable. Does need extra land drops, but I can't think of many other Braingeyser effects in mono-green.

Polukranos, Unchained looks amusing. Repeatable fight that comes back, and also a giant beater.

Wavebreak Hippocamp is fun.

Arasta of the Endless Web is intriguing, but very matchup-dependent.

The Birth of Meletis is mana-smoothing in white, which doesn't show up that often. Sort of a slow Wall of Omens.

Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths also looks very amusing, and I may test it in a few decks.

Idyllic Tutor reprint is alright. I'm not the biggest fan of the card, but that may just be because I don't run that many enchantments in my decks.

Heliod, Sun-Crowned - all I see discussed for him is the Walking Ballista combo, but that doesn't really excite me. Otherwise, Ajani's Pridemate in the command zone seems fine for a soul sisters deck. Not sure if he does it better than Karlov of the Ghost Council, but indestructible makes that strategy a lot less fragile, and you can spread around the counters.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Haktos the Unscarred looks awesome. I'm usually not a fan of Boros combat-focused commanders, but this looks like the most hilariously awkward voltron commander ever.
If by "awkward" you mean "every single damage wipe you can get your hands on, nobody but you has creatures" then yeah, he's pretty awkward :P the design is cute as hell otherwise, pity about the wrath slog side effect.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
If by "awkward" you mean "every single damage wipe you can get your hands on, nobody but you has creatures" then yeah, he's pretty awkward :P the design is cute as hell otherwise, pity about the wrath slog side effect.
Eh, that's not any different from Zurgo Helmsmasher. I'm envisioning throwing in a bunch of equipment with CMC 2, 3, or 4 that you can only attach one third of the time. Alternatively, Sublime Archangel, Angelic Exaltation, Cathedral of War, Crescendo of War, and other non-targeted pump effects.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I have to give wizards credit for their Demigod cycle. It might be my favorite design so far and its an uncommon cycle. Its a very nice looking cycle.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

MeowZeDung

Other than Nyx Lotus, which isn't black, Erebos's Intervention is the first card in the new set that seems good enough for my wife's Drana deck. I like the idea behind Drag to the Underworld, but I don't think "destroy" is good enough.

MeowZeDung

I have been starting to go through the ways I can maximize Underworld Breach in Kykar, Wind's Fury. It's bonkers just as a value card with stuff like Faithless Looting and Frantic Search, and the "floor" of emptying your graveyard to resolve Swords to Plowshares several times in a single turn is certainly not bad. However, Breach + Kykar + Lab Man + Burning Inquiry is a 4 card on the spot win, and if your opponents' have less cards in their libraries than you for some reason, then Lab Man isn't even needed.

Goblin Lore, Tome Scour, and Compelling Argument aren't quite infinite, but it's probably close enough in many cases. If you can manage to escape Scour or Argument targeting your opponent(s) until they have less in their libaries than you, you can start the Burning Inquiry loop without Lab Man.

These all get better with Emergence Zone or Vedalken Orrery so you can stack the triggers and keep your opponents from getting to use their answers.

I'm looking at this specifically for Kykar, but I have a feeling this card is going to be an absolute rock star in most red decks for a long time to come.

Hermes_

so, I think I just thought of a crazy interaction

Nyx Lotus and Doubling Cube

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

What is the interaction?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

New Purphy, I like it
New Nylea is going in my Questing Beast deck
New thasss is interesting
New Heliod... i can see potential
New Erebos (Not yet spoiled)

Nyx Lotus seems like it could be VERY powerful in the right deck.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
New Erebos (Not yet spoiled)
Erebos, Bleak-Hearted
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other