[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Reckless Spite is a double Doom Blade. Five life can be relevant - if you're on low life or are putting a lot of pressure on your life total, you may not want want to cast it. On the other hand, if you have a bunch of lifegain (ex: Oloro, Ageless Ascetic), then that cost is pretty much free.

That said though, I'm not the biggest fan of Doom Blade in EDH, and Reckless Spite by extension - there are a lot of relevant black creatures they miss. More significantly, color-based restriction tend to miss a lot of commanders, which tend to have more colors than arbitrary creatures in decks. Hard to estimate what percentage of creature I'm willing to burn a removal spell on are black though - probably more than 20% due to multicolor creatures being more common than colorless creatures. Maybe 30%? Hmmm... Still, being an instant speed and fairly efficient 2-for-1 means I won't totally discount it.

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Gosh, we're so spoiled these days. I'm probably playing Curtains' Call over this because it should come out the same mana cost (maybe more very late game) with no loss of life and more targets.

Ashes to Ashes trades instant, creatures it can hit, and exile.

I'd probably run a wrath instead of any of them.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

I think I'd prefer Malicious Affliction to this. Wonder why that card doesn't get played more anyway...

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

Malicious affliction is usually better
Ashes to Ashes is better but has the timing restriction
This is still pretty good if your group usually has 4+ players.
If you are two or 3 I would rather have something like Hero's Downfall so that it isn't a dead card.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Yeah man, ashes to ashes is a beating all day. Can't believe it still gets "damn, what set is that from how old is that?"

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Saturday, December 14th, 2019; Unearth

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Serenade
UnderKing

Best in a super-focused deck with most critters in that range. Or Skullbriar/Reyhan.

3drinks

Huh. I really should be playing this in new Kaalia tbh. Hits my commander for an easy trigger, still cycles for a slide. Pretty straight forward.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Strangely, unearth is more like Apprentice Necromancer. This does have potential once you realize how many commonly played creatures are in this particular subset; entry triggers are a big benefit of this. You play this for utility, not strength.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Mookie

Unearth is extremely efficient for what it does - you can't really get a better deal than one mana. The question thus becomes a matter of how many cheap creatures you're running, and how much you want to recur them. Cycling can also be relevant.

I'd say that the main issue I have with the card is that for a small premium, you can get significantly more flexibility. Ignoring Reanimate (which I think you'll almost play before this), a bit of extra mana will get you Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead and Necromancy, which can recur creatures of any size. Unearth seems more worth consideration if you're using it as a combo piece and care about the cost (ex: recurring Cloud of Faeries).

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

I really like it in my Lazav, the Multifarious deck. That deck is full of 3-drop and less critters. It's also fantastic to get around commander tax if Lasav, bites it a lot. The deck also has a handful of ways to utilize the cycling also. Quite a niche situation, but I'm always happy to have it pop up there.

3drinks

Sunday, December 15th, 2019; Panglacial Wurm

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie

Surprise!

Panglacial Wurm is a cool card, but not one I've ever actually seen in action - seven mana for a 9/5 trample creature is pretty mediocre, as far as stat lines go. Might be worth consideration in Xenagos, God of Revels? Hmmm... Anyway, the real interesting part of the card is the search ability, which lets you turn fetchlands into a giant flashy threat in the lategame. Or any other search effect, but tacking extra mana onto the wurm's cost makes it even harder to get out. Definitely not a card you ever want to actually draw though.

I think one limitation of Panglacial Wurm is that its role - turning a topdecked land into a spell - is done better by other cards (like Tireless Tracker, The Gitrog Monster, Tatyova, Benthic Druid, and friends). And the other cards aren't nearly as bad to actually draw, and work with any lands (not just fetches).

Still, definitely a splashy way to surprise someone.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
I think one limitation of Panglacial Wurm is that its role - turning a topdecked land into a spell - is done better by other cards (like Tireless Tracker, The Gitrog Monster, Tatyova, Benthic Druid, and friends). And the other cards aren't nearly as bad to actually draw, and work with any lands (not just fetches).
It's not really comparable to those cards. Sure, Tireless Tracker gets you much better value for land drops (or at least it's much more efficient) but you have to draw it or it doesn't matter. Panglacial Wurm gives your fetchlands value just so long as it exists in the deck. Truly a unique effect.

That said, yeah, the rate is really not very exciting, and most strong decks have ways to avoid running out of gas that are much more efficient. Even if you could theoretically have infinite panglacial wurms in the deck and never draw them, you probably wouldn't cast any most games. If the wurm was actually a worthwhile card - or at least something cheaper that might fill a spot in a curve rather than be a top-end, when you hopefully have better things to do - then it would stand a very high risk of being broken, at least in 1v1 formats. But it's not, so it's mostly just cool and unique, but not actually very good.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Pandemonium/Warstorm Surge finisher, maybe with some damage doublers

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Meh. It's a cool idea, either as a Pandemonium finisher or as Momentous Fall fuel.

But you're really going to also need to pay for the tutor. So, you're looking at 8ggg if you use Nature's Lore (though you do get g back.)
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

3drinks

Why do people keep suggesting this as pandemonium finishers? You only cast it once. It's only buying you one trigger. Is there some other interaction I'm unaware of? I don't see a correlation, and if it's just because it's big, lots of creatures could do that.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Serenade
UnderKing

If you're running Pandemonium, presumably you've been working down life totals. Maybe damage doubling, probably blinking creatures, too, so you're digging out nine power....that I sure hope you plan on using more than once.

3drinks

But that doesn't have anything to do with the wurm specifically. It's just a guy.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Sunday, December 15th, 2019; Panglacial Wurm
I played this in Selvala, Heart of the Wilds. It did okay, and was frequently a surprise. The 9 power really does good stuff for Selvala as well.

Not for every deck, but definitely for some of them.

3drinks

Monday, December 16th, 2019; Urban Evolution

This card is straight gas am I right or am I right?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie

Urban Evolution = Divination + Explore.

Costs an extra mana over Harmonize and Concentrate. Also competes against Mystic Confluence and Fact or Fiction if you're only looking at the card draw. Thus, the question becomes how valuable the extra land drop is, and how much you care about it being an instant vs sorcery, which depends a bit on the deck. I think you'll be happy to have it a significant portion of the time though - odds are good that one of the cards you draw will be a land, and being able to play it immediately is a nice bonus.

....I feel like I should actually give this card a shot sometime in Tasigur. Maybe over Bounty of the Luxa? Hmmm...

3drinks

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Urban Evolution = Divination + Explore.

Costs an extra mana over Harmonize and Concentrate. Also competes against Mystic Confluence and Fact or Fiction if you're only looking at the card draw. Thus, the question becomes how valuable the extra land drop is, and how much you care about it being an instant vs sorcery, which depends a bit on the deck. I think you'll be happy to have it a significant portion of the time though - odds are good that one of the cards you draw will be a land, and being able to play it immediately is a nice bonus.

....I feel like I should actually give this card a shot sometime in Tasigur. Maybe over Bounty of the Luxa? Hmmm...
Like, if you look at your example, it's still 1G + 2U = 3UG while only taking up one card slot. That's equal in cost. If you compare it to your concentrate suggestion (which you shouldn't), you're getting the same effect + land drop for a G more. I think that a pretty good rate all things considered.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

I think I prefer this to bigger mana ramp spells that just ramp. It's not hard to be in a position where you can bounce or Crucible something like Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx and do way more with one extra land drop than something like 3 basics. Basically on rate card draw spell that can be situationally abused like that is ok by me.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I wish they had templated it more like growth spiral. I really try not to play a lot of 5 mana sorceries in EDH these days, just not my bag. I like to leave a mark on the board for 5 mana other than a land drop :)

It's quite efficient but I can't help but think it's enough worse than recurring insight as a draw bomb that I usually would not play it even for the ramp.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”