December MCC, Round 1: First to the Fray

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Banner based on Arcum's Astrolabe by Igor Kieryluk and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
December MCC, Round 1 - First to the Fray

Welcome to the December MCC! It's Commons Month here at the MCC - yes, every round will REQUIRE contestants to design a COMMON card! Please make double sure you have the rarity right this month.

Main Challenge: Design a common creature card with haste.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is some color other than red (i.e. it is not colorless nor monored).
Subchallenge 2: Your card's converted mana cost is 5 or greater.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Sunday, December 8th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Wednesday, December 11th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge: Yes, the card must have haste at all times - simply the keyword "haste", not granting it to other creatures (although the card may also do this as long as it has haste itself) nor conditionally gaining it.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
bravelion83
Blydden

If you are not interested in playing, please sign up to judge the contest!

Players:
Anyone is welcome to enter this first round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Nomadic Allosaurus 2GGG
Creature - Dinosaur (C)
Haste
Nomadic Allosaurus costs 2 less to cast if an opponent controls two or more creatures than you.
Wherever prey gathers, it is sure to follow.
4/3
Last edited by Ink-Treader 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Phoberos Man-Eater 4GG
Creature - Snake (C)
Haste
When Phoberos Man-Eater enters the battlefield, it gets +X/+X until your next turn, where X is your devotion to green. (Each G in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to green.)
The underground monster markets continued to expand leading to more cases of misplaced "merchandise" growing up in foreign lands.
4/5
Last edited by Icarii 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Falkenrath Vanguard 3BB
Creature - Vampire Soldier (C)
Haste
Discard a card: Other creatures you control gain haste until end of turn.
"For Anje, for glory, and for blood!"
4/4

The_Hittite

Post by The_Hittite » 4 years ago

Ambush Onager 2G
Artifact Creature — Construct (C)
Haste (This creature can attack and T as soon as it comes under your control.)
T: Ambush Onager deals 3 damage to target creature with flying.
"Aven think they can see everything from up there. Well they never saw this coming."
—Kenzeg, catapult master

0/4
Last edited by The_Hittite 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Jimmy Groove

Post by Jimmy Groove » 4 years ago

Cinder-Wolf Alpha 3(r/g)(r/g)
Creature - Elemental Wolf (C)
Haste
Totem - Whenever a creature with power 1 or less enters the battlefield under your control, you may tap it. If you do, Cinder-Wolf Alpha gets +1/+0 and gains trample until end of turn.
4/3

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Nylea's Prowler 2GG
Creature - Cat Beast {C}
Trample, haste
Nylea's Prowler can't attack unless your devotion to green is six or greater. (Each G in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to green.)
4/4

ForestsCarl

Post by ForestsCarl » 4 years ago

Starving Bats 3BB
Creature - Bat (C)
Haste (This creature can attack and T as soon as it comes under your control.)
Lifelink (Damage dealt by this creature also causes you to gain that much life.)
At the beginning of your end step, you lose 2 life unless Starving Bats attacked this turn.
2/5
Last edited by ForestsCarl 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Scissorblade Beetle
Creature — Beetle Slasher (Common)
Haste
Whenever Scissorblade Beetle attacks a player, it deals 2 damage to target planeswalker.
5/4
It's a chop off the old block. It'll save the cutting edge for the battlefield.
Last edited by marioguy3 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Hold
Last edited by netn10 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Bonded Homunculus 4U
Creature - Homunculus (Common)
Defender, haste
T: Untap another target creature.
Each host it feeds on provides it with enough energy to outlive that host. And in return, the homuncolus shares its enthusiasm with its host.
0/8
Last edited by netn10 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Kypster

Post by Kypster » 4 years ago

Rallying Cry 1RW
Sorcery - Adventure
Create two 1/1 red and white Soldier creature tokens with haste.
//
Fearless Vanguard 3RW
Creature - Knight {C}
Haste
Whenever Fearless Vanguard attacks, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of attacking creatures you control.
1/4

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Bonefire Guardian 4B
Creature — Skeleton (C)
Haste
2R: Bonefire Guardian deals 1 damage to each creature blocking it.
"Not 'bonfire', you dimwit! These things burn!"
—Syr Randal, the Bold

4/1
Last edited by Ryder 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Acolyte of Wrath 4WW
Creature — Human Cleric Warrior (C)
As long as you control an angel, Acolyte of Wrath has first strike, trample, vigilance, and haste
"The teachings of Akroma are simple. If you do harm to others, we do harm to you.
3/4

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Death-Maker Avarax 1BR
Creature--Zombie Beast (Common)
Haste, deathtouch
When Death-Maker Avarax enters the battlefield or dies, you lose 2 life.
3/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Reaping Willow 4{B/G}
Creature - Treefolk Horror (Common)
Haste
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Reaping Willow this turn dies, you gain 3 life.
3/3
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 4 years ago

Voracious Pack 3GG
Creature - Wolf {C}
Haste
When you cast this spell, you may reveal any number of cards named Voracious Pack from your hand. Reduce the cost of this spell by 1 for each card revealed this way.
When you are caught by one, you are caught by all.
4/3

archemediesx

Post by archemediesx » 4 years ago

Dispersing Dreadmare 4BR
Creature – Elemental Horse (C)
Haste
Diffusion – If U or G was spent to cast Dispersing Dreadmare, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it and has hexproof until end of turn.
The dreadmares of Aestuum Palus were constantly evolving from pressures caused by Vellencia's unending mana shifts.
5/3
"Easy Dude. You're being very Un-Dude."

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 4 years ago

Rabid Revelers 4RG
Creature — Satyr (C)
Haste
When Rabid Revelers enters the battlefield, create two 2/2 red and green Satyr creature tokens with haste.
After the death of Xenagos, satyrs sought to fill that void with even more recklessness.
2/2

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Twitching Baloth 3GG
Creature — Beast (C)
Haste
When Twitching Baloth dies, you may have it deal damage equal to its power to target creature.
"When it goes down, watch for the jaws! They keep on biting."
4/4
formerly willows

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Unleashed Vortex 1rw
Creature - Elemental (c)
Haste
At the beginning of your upkeep, Unleashed Vortex gains defender until your next upkeep unless you pay 1rw.
Vortices are formidable forces, but they are unpredictable and very cumbersome to control.
4/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed. Here are the judging assignments. Top four per judge advance.

void_nothing:
Icarii
The_Hittite
RaikouRider
ForestsCarl
Subject16
archemediesx
StonerOfKruphix

bravelion83:
Ink-Treader
marioguy3
Kypster
kwanyeegor-ii
Freyleyes
barbecube

Blydden:
slimytrout
Jimmy Groove
netn10
Ryder
Legend
Henlock
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Blydden
Philosophical Crusader

Post by Blydden » 4 years ago

All done, and we seem to have a tie for fourth place!
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Unleashed Vortex 1rw
Creature - Elemental (c)
Haste
At the beginning of your upkeep, Unleashed Vortex gains defender until your next upkeep unless you pay 1rw.
Vortices are formidable forces, but they are unpredictable and very cumbersome to control.
4/2
Design -
(1/3) Appeal: Spike likes this card as a hasty 3-drop and understands the necessity of the downside.
I suspect that Johnny would be able to draft around the defender downside.
Timmy dislikes creatures with downsides.
(2.5/3) Elegance: The recurring upkeep trigger constitutes a minor inelegance.

Development -
(2.5/3) Viability: This card works as a Common and as both Red and White. Note that there is a red flag for more than three lines of rules text.
(2/3) Balance: This card required a downside at Common, but I do believe this choice of downside is too heavy. It is difficult to play multiples of this card at once. Three-drops are very important creatures in Limited, so being able to play multiples of a dual-color three-drop would be highly preferable. Especially a creature with a downside like this that would often wheel to the decks of the correct colors.

Creativity -
(2/3) Uniqueness: Surprisingly unique for a Common, but similar-ish effects have been done before at higher rarities.
(2.5/3) Flavor: I would say this card plays more predictably than the flavor would suggest, but I definitely like the rest of the flavor. Except for the unnecessary word "very", but now I'm just nitpicking.

Polish -
(3/3) Quality: There was definitely room for the haste reminder text on this card, but that was not strictly necessary.
(2/2) Main Challenge: Main challenge met!
(1/2) Subchallenges: Subchallenge 1 met!

Total: 18.5/25
Final thought: {R/W} Defenders is the Limited archetype displayed here, obviously.
Jimmy Groove
Show
Hide
Jimmy Groove wrote:
4 years ago
Cinder-Wolf Alpha 3(r/g)(r/g)
Creature - Elemental Wolf (C)
Haste
Totem - Whenever a creature with power 1 or less enters the battlefield under your control, you may tap it. If you do, Cinder-Wolf Alpha gets +1/+0 and gains trample until end of turn.
4/3
Design -
(2.5/3) Appeal: Spike likes this card for being decent on its own. Johnny and Timmy love this card for similar reasons that involve empowering this creature to be a visceral, hasty trampler.
(2.5/3) Elegance: The mechanic seems inelegant, but this card is otherwise a fine display of it.

Development -
(2/3) Viability: This card works as a Common and as both Red and Green. However, the Totem ability word does not make sense in these colors. Red and especially Green care the most about large creatures, hence Ferocious and Formidable. The colors that care about small creatures are White and maybe Black or Blue.
(3/3) Balance: This card is a fine finisher to draft in Limited. I am not too sure how consistently creatures with 1 power or less enter the battlefield during the late game, but even one Totem activation on this creature goes a decent way.

Creativity -
(2/3) Uniqueness: Totem seems to be a fairly unique mechanic despite plenty of cards that care about creatures with X power or less.
(1.5/3) Flavor: No flavor text, although one line of it would have been welcome. Furthermore, this card is a wolf alpha, but wolf creatures tend to have at least 2 power, and they are often 2/2 creature tokens. There have been a few wolves with 1 power or less but not many. The flavor here is otherwise okay.

Polish -
(2/3) Quality: The ability word dash should be a long dash '—' and not a short dash (minus half a point). There is an extraneous space between the two sentences of the second line of rules text that should be nixed (minus half a point).
(2/2) Subchallenges: Both subchallenges met!

Total: 19.5/25
Final thoughts: I am not too sure what I would name the Esper variant of that ability word. Any ideas?
Legend
Show
Hide
Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Reaping Willow 4{B/G}
Creature - Treefolk Horror (Common)
Haste
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Reaping Willow this turn dies, you gain 3 life.
3/3
Design -
(0/3) Appeal: I find that this card is too weak and mundane to be appealing for most players in general.
(2.5/3) Elegance: This creature's trigger constitutes a minor inelegance since it still cares about damage done after the turn's damage step concludes.

Development -
(2/3) Viability: This card works as both a Common and a Black card. I doubt it is in-color as a Green card since the color seldom cares about other creatures dying, especially at Common.
Moreover, there is a red flag for more than three lines of rules text.
(1.5/3) Balance: This creature is definitely over-costed with a body that is too small for a 5-drop despite these lines of rules text. I would have costed it at 2{B/G}{B/G} or 3B instead.

Creativity -
(2/3) Uniqueness: Despite how quickly I would personally replace it with 'lifelink', the second line of rules text is fairly unique, especially on a Common.
(1.5/3) Flavor: I like the card name's play on words, but without any flavor text it is a lonesome pun.

Polish -
(3/3) Quality: There was definitely room for the haste reminder text on this card, but that was not strictly necessary.

Total: 16.5/25
Final thoughts: I am guessing this card fits into a {B/G} Lifegain archetype.
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Bonded Homunculus 4U
Creature - Homunculus (Common)
Defender, haste
T: Untap another target creature.
Each host it feeds on provides it with enough energy to outlive that host. And in return, the homuncolus shares its enthusiasm with its host.
0/8
Design -
(0.5/3) Appeal: Johnny likes this card solely because of how unusual it is.
Timmy does not like creatures with downsides like defender. Spike also does not like creatures with 0 power with nothing more than trinket text.
(2/3) Elegance: This card both inelegantly and negatively affects combat with its activated ability.

Development -
(0.5/3) Viability: Even on a 0 power body with defender, haste is very much not a Blue ability, especially at Common. This card also bears two red flags since firstly it can negatively impact combat and secondly it can loop with other copies of itself, both due to its activated ability.
(0.5/3) Balance: This is a weird card to grade here due to its viability issues but I gave it a try.
Simply put, it could cost 2UU or 3U and it still would not be very good in Limited on its own. At best, it would serve as a decent sideboard card against aggressive decks. If there was a possible combo that could make use of its loop in Limited, then that would be problematic since this card would be worse than mediocre on its own as well as easy to draft multiple copies of.

Creativity -
(1.5/3) Uniqueness: Defenders that interact with the haste keyword are not that new. What is more unique is that Blue has never had a creature with more than 7 toughness at Common but probably for good reason.
(0.5/3) Flavor: The name is bland, and the flavor text is not all that interesting. A defender with haste is contradictory and weird. Homunculi are smaller, often a lot smaller, than this toughness would suggest.

Polish -
(2.5/3) Quality: The word 'homunculus' is misspelled as "homuncolus" in this card's flavor text (minus half a point).

Total: 12/25
Final thought: Not sure where else to mention it, but yes I did notice the reference to Bonded Fetch.
Ryder
Show
Hide
Ryder wrote:
4 years ago
Bonefire Guardian 4B
Creature — Skeleton (C)
Haste
2R: Bonefire Guardian deals 1 damage to each creature blocking it.
"Not 'bonfire', you dimwit! These things burn!"
—Syr Randal, the Bold

4/1
Design -
(0.5/3) Appeal: Timmy likes this card for simply being a medium-sized hasty creature. Both Spike and Johnny are disinterested.
(2.5/3) Elegance: The card's second ability constitutes a minor inelegance for occurring during combat before damage is dealt.

Development -
(2.5/3) Viability: This card is suitably both Black and Common. This card's off-color activated ability is suitably Red, I suppose. Note that there is a red flag with the activated ability since it works during combat after blockers are declared but before damage is dealt.
(1.5/3) Balance: This card is overcosted and could easily cost 3B without issue. Or, if the activated ability was a triggered ability similar to Plague Wight, then that could have also worked out. As-is, this card doesn't fare particularly well and still bothers to ask for two different colors.

Creativity -
(1.5/3) Uniqueness: The activated ability is unusual but similar combative effects have both been done before and better.
(1/3) Flavor: Both the name and flavor text are too focused on their one pun rather the whole of the card. I don't believe the creature would be much of a "guardian" with such a mechanically offensive focus. Skeletons in Magic also tend to care about either indestructibility or the graveyard and that is missing here.

Polish -

Final thoughts: Now that I am thinking about it, I am sure I would have remembered a fairy tale with fiery skeletons in it. This creature is meant to be on Eldraine or something, right?
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
Falkenrath Vanguard 3BB
Creature - Vampire Soldier (C)
Haste
Discard a card: Other creatures you control gain haste until end of turn.
"For Anje, for glory, and for blood!"
4/4
Design -
(2/3) Appeal: Timmy likes this card a lot, even if he normally does not like to discard cards. Johnny would definitely like to make other creatures hasty as well. Spike likes cards that help to close out the game such as this one.
(3/3) Elegance: No issues here.

Development -
(2.5/3) Viability: This card works as a Common, but is it Black? I would say it is surely more Red than Black, but it is not impossible in Black.
(3/3) Balance: The color weight goes a long way here. This card seems strong (as a Common) but fair at the same time. In a Limited environment that cares about discard outlets, the cost here may be more useful than the actual ability, which is not a bad thing.

Creativity -
(1/3) Uniqueness: Haste is a very common keyword, and discard outlets are also quite common.
(3/3) Flavor: What glorious flavor!

Polish -

Total: 20.5/25
Final thought: I am going to guess this card goes to a BR Discard archetype, but I would not be surprised if it was Vampire tribal or both.
Results!
Show
Hide
slimytrout - 20.5
Jimmy Groove - 19.5
Henlock - 18.5
Legend - 16.5
Ryder - 16.5

netn10 - 12

To netn10, I can imagine that this judgment overall may sting. I did find your card to be the weakest in this bracket, but there is always next month. Thank you for participating, and I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you participate next month as well.
Last edited by Blydden 4 years ago, edited 9 times in total.

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

I didn't think it would be so quick, but here we go. Judgments complete.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
4 years ago
Nomadic Allosaurus 2GGG
Creature - Dinosaur (C)
Haste
Nomadic Allosaurus costs 2 less to cast if an opponent controls two or more creatures than you.
Wherever prey gathers, it is sure to follow.
4/3
Design
Appeal 3/3 - A very relevant creature for Timmy. The challenge of finding the best way to get the cost reduction for Johnny. Spike just sees a 4/3 haste for three mana and loves it.
Elegance 3/3 - Commons will tend to score highly in this area. This is no exception.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules. I like this kind of threshold mechanic at common, and there is no way to multiply the cost reduction. Good.
Balance 3/3 - The Quadrant Theory comes to my mind. This will really help you when you're behind, that's the most important thing. And even then it's a 4/3 haste for three mana. Yes, over the curve, but not by a lot. If you're in green, you'll play this in limited any time you can afford the mana cost. I can even see this getting a little play in Standard, which for a common it's saying a lot. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - The cost reduction condition feels new, I usually remember the number of lands being checked, and in white. This variation feels fresh to me, but still nothing too inspired. Just a nice variation on an existing thing.
Flavor 3/3 - No problems here. Time for a little personal aside then: I'm a big dinosaur fan, and I've always been since childhood. I've made several research assignments on them in primary school. When I saw that they were coming as a regular feature in Magic starting in Ixalan I rejoiced. Ok, aside over. See I can be concise when I want... Leo, you're making it longer... You're right, brain. I should stop while it's still concise. Well, my kind of concise, but still... LEO! Ok, ok...
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good. The still-correctly-formatted single hyphen as a substitute for the em dash is discouraged but acceptable.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 24/25
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
4 years ago
Scissorblade Beetle
Creature — Beetle Slasher (Common)
Haste
Whenever Scissorblade Beetle attacks a player, it deals 2 damage to target planeswalker.
5/4
It's a chop off the old block. It'll save the cutting edge for the battlefield.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - A relevant creature for Timmy and Spike. Not much for Johnny.
Elegance 3/3 - Commons will tend to score highly in this area. This is no exception.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules.
Balance 2.5/3 - Definitely playable in limited, but there will certainly be better options for the same mana cost in Standard. No problems in casual. In multiplayer, the choice of which player to attack is relevant.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Having a trigger about a player with an effect about planeswalkers is something that does feel somewhat new, but all the rest does not.
Flavor 0.5/3 - No, I'm sorry, but I don't really like this. Ensoul Artifact is enough scissors for me. And also, and mostly, way too many puns, so many that they actually make me want to cry instead of laugh. You start with the name, that might as well be a Beeble (now strictly silver border) and an un-card. Actually, it feels exactly like a silver-bordered card in flavor, and no, I don't think that's appropriate in black border. And please note that this comes from a person that wouldn't mind seeing Squirrels back in black border. But there is a line that I feel even Squirrels don't cross while this does. Then one pun after the other in the flavor text, again, up to the point of crying, or at the very least facepalming, instead of smiling or laughing. No, if I were a real R&D editor (I'd like to), I'd totally and immediately send this back for reconcepting. Make it whatever but remove the new Slasher creature type, and change both name and flavor text. These would be my notes. Not a full zero because I know there would be players who'd love this exactly for the same reasons that I hate it. I'm sorry.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - I get where you're coming from, but "slasher" is not a supported creature type. I've even checked the CR to be sure (rule 205.3m, the list of creature types), and there is nothing in between Skeleton and Slith. I'm convinced that this card would be reconcepted if it were to be printed for real (-0.5). Well, maybe on Innistrad, but not currently.
TOTAL 18.5/25
Kypster
Show
Hide
Kypster wrote:
4 years ago
Rallying Cry 1RW
Sorcery - Adventure
Create two 1/1 red and white Soldier creature tokens with haste.
//
Fearless Vanguard 3RW
Creature - Knight {C}
Haste
Whenever Fearless Vanguard attacks, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of attacking creatures you control.
1/4
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy dreams to make this as big as it can be. Johnny can certainly use the tokens somehow. Spike likes the Adventure more than the creature, but she wishes it were in instant, like Raise the Alarm.
Development
Balance 3/3 - We Boros will always play this in limited. Token or weenie decks will definitely at least consider this card if they're viable in Standard. No problems in casual or multiplayer. For once, not much to say here.
Creativity
Uniqueness 0.5/3 - We know adventures by now. Nothing else is new here.
Flavor 3/3 - When I read "Fearless" I though somebody was about to call me "Fearless Feline" again... :) Pavlov's reflex and all that. Seriously, this is good flavor. The cry calls the Vanguard. Perfect. Just let me check if there is room for flavor text on the creature side... No, definitely not. We're already borderline. Good.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - In the ELD month, this would have been a -0.5 for putting the Adventure before the creature, but not here. I had asked for it then, I don't think there is anything against that here. Please consider putting the creature first, though, as it also is on Gatherer and the mothership. There is a single common in ELD without reminder text for Adventure: Smitten Swordmaster. While technically it's a precedent, here it would absolutely be included. The room is there. (-0.5)
TOTAL 21.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii (Seriously, please do read this, especially Quality.)
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 years ago
Death-Maker Avarax 1BR
Creature--Zombie Beast (Common)
Haste, deathtouch
When Death-Maker Avarax enters the battlefield or dies, you lose 2 life.
3/2
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes the creature, but not drawbacks. Johnny has the challenge to get this out as early as he can. Spike likes this, and she doesn't mind the drawback.
Development
Viability 1.5/3 - No problems with the color pie, or the rules. I'm don't think this belongs at common though. You will need to remember the death trigger. That and the (needed) drawback being there don't make this card very NWO-friendly in my opinion.
Balance 2.5/3 - Definitely playable in limited, maybe Standard too. Casual players tend to not be big fans of drawback. No particular problems in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 0.5/3 - Nothing new here, but not a functional reprint.
Flavor 0.5/3 - Does one "make" death? I've never heard that. Ok, I'm half British and I've grown with English relatives around me, but that doesn't mean I know everything there is to know in the English language... But it still sounds really strange to me. Death is not something you "make", like if it were made in a factory, you can "bring" it (what I think this card should have been called by the way, Deathbringer Avarax), you can "deal" it, "inflict" it, "cause" it, but "make"...? No flavor text with room available. If this is not a full zero it's just because of the card concept, which is fine.
Polish
Quality 0.5/3 - Here we are again. Don't misunderstand me, or my tone, I'm not angry with you, I'm just trying to make myself heard, but it looks like either you're not even listening and/or you just don't care. I've lost count of how many times I've deducted points as a judge here or in the other contests always for the same reasons: the name not bolded (serious mistake, so -1 already, but the guidelines are that, "guides" and not hard regulations, so given the aggravating circumstance of heavy recurrence after several warnings throughout the months, and also in all three main different contests, I'm willing to go even to -1.5 here this time, as a justified exception) and the double hyphens without spaces before and afterwards in the type line ("--" instead of " — ", normally -0.5, but here too the aggravating circumstance of heavy recurrence brings this to -1). I will never understand this. The more you're told, the less you seem to listen. Just so you know, these are also the same reasons why you willingly, on my part, never get my vote in the CCL or DCC. Show me you do listen! Show me you do care! Stop making these trivial Quality mistakes! This round you've lost 2.5 points to them. And at least the right full stops are there, or this might have very easily been a full zero this time. Why do you want to always start with a handicap? I don't want to punish you and always have to deduct points for the same reasons, I want to help you and I want to prize you and your cards. But you don't allow me. It's not my fault. I'm sorry.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Not colorless or monored, but CMC is less than 5.
TOTAL 14/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
4 years ago
Voracious Pack 3GG
Creature - Wolf {C}
Haste
When you cast this spell, you may reveal any number of cards named Voracious Pack from your hand. Reduce the cost of this spell by 1 for each card revealed this way.
When you are caught by one, you are caught by all.
4/3
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes this even as is. Johnny just has to find a reliable way to get all copies into his hand. Spike would like to always have a 4/3 haste for two mana, but realizes that it be very hard to do. One more reason for Johnny to try.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie, rarity, or the rules. Getting more than one mana of discount is very hard, which is good for a common.
Balance 2.5/3 - This is playable as is in limited. Maybe in Standard if Johnny manages to find that reliable way. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - It does remind me of amplify, just with a different effect, but it's still not something we see every day. Squadron Hawk also feels vaguely similar too, as do the other cards in its line (one in Ixalan and one in M20).
Flavor 3/3 - No problems here. I especially like the use of the word "pack" to represent having more than one copy of this in hand.
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - The wording of the cost reduction part is wrong, it should be "This spell costs 1 less to cast for each card revealed this way." (-0.5) And to work properly, as this needs to work right in between determining the total cost of the spell and actually paying it, it needs to say "as" and not "when". With "when", it's a triggered ability that triggers after you've already paid the cost of the Pack you cast, that's too late to actually work (functional mistake, -1).
TOTAL 21.5/25
barbecube
Show
Hide
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Twitching Baloth 3GG
Creature — Beast (C)
Haste
When Twitching Baloth dies, you may have it deal damage equal to its power to target creature.
"When it goes down, watch for the jaws! They keep on biting."
4/4
Design
Appeal 2/3 - Timmy likes the creature, Spike the removal. Not much for Johnny.
Development
Balance 3/3 - Must play in limited. I can definitely see midrange decks in Standard trying this. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 0.5/3 - Nothing new here, but not a functional reprint.
Flavor 3/3 - [sarcasm]Oh, I needed another pun...[/sarcasm] At least it's just one here. One is fine. It's the repetition that makes me sick... but that isn't about your card. Your card is fine.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
TOTAL 21.5/25
Results (bold advance) (TBD)
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader: 24
barbecube: 21.5
Freyleyes: 21.5
Kypster: 21.5

marioguy3: 18.5
kwanyeegor-ii: 14
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Icarii
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - In Limited anyone wants something that swings with at least 6 power immediately! Maybe too unsubtle for Jxnny but Txmmy and Spike like this as a Draft finisher.
(3/3) Elegance - No problems imho.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - The X in the text and being strong in Limited - neither of these is a disqualifier for common on its own, but together they make a case to be uncommon. Still, a very green card.
(2.5/3) Balance - I know six mana is high for Limited but this is very strong at common. (See above; I'd have made this uncommon in almost all contexts.)

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Owes a lot to past devotion cards. A hasty large dood with a personal Aspect of Hydra isn't the most unique design but it's effective.
(3/3) Flavor - Really neat! Like the reference to the Phoberos Badlands and the idea of Theran monster poaching.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21.5/25
The_Hittite
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Half a point from everyone! A bit of a niche sideboard option for Spike but they'd still use it. Txmmy finds it low-impact but does want to take out troublesome flying blockers. Jxnny finds it kind of unsubtle and not full of interesting tricks, but hey, for a common, it's kinda fun as a hasty 4/4 in Doran, the Siege Tower.
(3/3) Elegance - Quite elegant stuff.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Color and rarity both seem fine to me.
(3/3) Balance - This seems fine. It's an effective flyer hoser.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Obviously neither hasty pingers nor flyer-pingers are unique but this has a conjunction of elements that makes it feel new and unusual.
(3/3) Flavor - Neat! Love me some siege engines in my M:tG. Oddly I've designed an "onager" before but it was the animal and not the machine.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Not monored, but small CMC.

Total: 21/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Above-rate for rarity beater with a(n easily overcome) drawback is mostly a Txmmy and Spike thing for Limited; Jxnny sees little here.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Bit of tracking complexity with having to check devotion constantly, although at least it's only a yes or no question of "is it over 6?"

Development
(3/3) Viability - Both haste and trample are certainly green keywords but something about this card just "feels" more red, a color which, of course, it could be.
(3/3) Balance - Nothing to complain about.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Hasty tramplers are well-tread but only the original Theros Gods (and now the Buy-a-Box Athreos) have used devotion as a "gate" before.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Sort of generic, and it feels wrong that this card takes more devotion to "use" than Nylea herself does.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks okay.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Not monored but CMC less than 5.

ForestsCarl
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes lifelink and high toughness but doesn't wanna deal with that drawback for a five mana, 2-power creature. Jxnny loves it for Doran. Spike would very much be afraid to ever use this in Limited in the worst-case scenario of it eating a Pacifism.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The pairing of high toughness with an "optional must-attack" drawback makes it much less of a choice; you're ALWAYS going to attack with this unless you ABSOLUTELY need it as a blocker. This suite of abilities on something like a 3/2, which would be at risk from even a small blocker, would make more sense.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Color and rarity both OK.
(3/3) Balance - Fair to on the weak side in Limited even for a common and obviously not that much Constructed value either.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Hasty lifelinkers and "punish if you don't attack" creatures have both been done before.
(0.5/3) Flavor - A sincere flavor problem: Bats without flying!

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Nothing technically wrong here (creature type issue already addressed).

Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Basically a pure Txmmy card even in Limited; Jxnny finds nothing subtle with it and Spike just thinks it's below-rate.
(3/3) Elegance - Goes from vanilla to French vanilla. Elegant as they come really.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - Going from vanilla to four(!) keywords is a bit swingy for common, and also, despite being an Akroma, Angel of Wrath reference, haste is not a white keyword and trample is only appropriate on nonred nongreen creatures when the creatures in question have very high P/T; recent example Zetalpa, Primal Dawn, for example, swings for 8, which is a far cry from 3!
(3/3) Balance - Nothing too strong here imho.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - It is a fairly "obvious" riff on an existing card - this would be a serviceable but on-the-nose answer to an Akroma prompt in Salvation's Rare to Common Game (note to self: Port those rarity-shift games over at some point).
(3/3) Flavor - Works well enough for what it is, which is a callback.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - "Angel" needs to be capitalized and missing an end quote.
(0/2) Main Challenge (*) - Fails the main challenge according to the clarifications; this is not a "card with haste", it has a (relatively difficult) condition to gain haste.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Done.

archemediesx
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - A big Txmmy/Spike card for Limited, not necessarily that much Jxnny appeal though.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Slightly wordy diffusion ability but nothing else to call out.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Top-heavy hasters are BR, hexproof is {G/U}. Very nice.
(3/3) Balance - Strong stuff in Limited but the turn after it enters, you basically have a big virtual vanilla, so this is appropriate at common both with power and complexity.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - I'm guessing diffusion means "if you cast this spell with mutual-enemy-ally mana" and GW spells would have diffusion with U or R, et cetera. Temp-hexproof is also interesting.
(3/3) Flavor - I know nothing about the proper names in the flavor text but I really wanna learn more.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Ability should state "G or U" and not the other way around.

Total: 22/25
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - What Limited player doesn't like hasty swarms of creatures? Jxnny in particular would love to blink this.
(3/3) Elegance - Pretty elegant I'd say.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look okay.
(2.5/3) Balance - For six mana, six power is usually no problem. Could get out of hand if something like anthem effects are relatively available in Limited though.

Creativity
(0.5/3) Uniqueness - Hasty token generation isn't very unusual - in fact this card is a lot like a scaled down Revel of the Fallen God.
(2/3) Flavor - Satyrs sought to fill the void of not having their own god any longer by... being reckless? Something doesn't quite scan there, although I get the general idea.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems fine.

Total: 21/25
Results (Bold Advance)
Show
Hide
archemediesx 22
Icarii 21.5
StonerOfKruphix 21
The_Hittite 21

ForestsCarl 19.5
RaikouRider 19.5
Subject16 16.5

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”