Unreleased and New Card Discussion

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 10 months ago

Damn, I just got to see the scenes. Amazing, I was preparing to be heavily disappointed by this set but this rocks so much

@Mookie I think we are missing at least 50 cards but yes, it was a massive card dump, people were complaining about massive spoiler seasons

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 10 months ago

pokken wrote:
10 months ago
duducrash wrote:
10 months ago
Boromir, warden of the Tower is nice, I'll slot at least into Karador, if not more decks
It's hilarious to me that it incidentally shuts down Jeweled Lotus / Lion's Eye Diamond / Mana Crypt shenanigans :P
I've always believed that since White as a color pie is least adaptive towards cEDH, they should be the most anti-cEDH.
Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
Shadow of the Enemy is a significant upgrade over Hedonist's Trove. You don't get lands, but it's otherwise better in pretty much every way.
How so? The Trove also let you exile and cast non-creature spells.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 10 months ago

Cyberium wrote:
10 months ago
How so? The Trove also let you exile and cast non-creature spells.
  • It costs one less mana
  • You don't need to match the colors of the spells (this is the biggest one, IMO)
  • You don't lose access to the spells if the enchantment is destroyed
  • (and you can cast multiple spells from it per turn)
That said, I missed that it only hits creatures, so that lowers my opinion of it somewhat, from janky Praetor's Counsel to expensive reanimation.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
....so they just spoiled the entire set in a single day? Sure. Guess I'll just review everything. >_>
you totally ignored Bill the Pony :fuming: :mad: which for some reason i want to give it horsemanship lol
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 10 months ago

Definitely didn't get everything
Missing a lot of heavy hitters - Theoden, Faramir, Wormtongue.... and plenty more.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 10 months ago

I think we've only got a bit over 100 of the main set cards, so we're nowhere near done yet. Kinda hard to get an exact count since there's a lot of alt arts :unamused:
Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
Shire Terrace looks like a nice upgrade over Ash Barrens, since it works better with Crucible of Worlds effects.
Not an upgrade to Ash Barrens. Ash barrens only costs 1 mana to fix, whereas this costs 2 (one of which is functionally the land you search, so you have to wait at least one turn to use your fetched land). The main plus side is that you can delay the cost by using it for colorless initially, whereas playing ash barrens commits you to not fixing, and it typically works better with landfall, recursion, etc.

It is a strict upgrade to the panoramas though.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 10 months ago

I'm enjoying more food cards, while its going into W as well this time I like that GB food/life gain is something new for the colors.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 10 months ago

how lucky! when I read LOTR, I always think of Pippin as a blue and white 2/2 vigilant Devoted Caretaker =P how fortuitous that my vision and that of WOTC lines up so neatly =P =P =P

edit: i'm so burnt out on these nonsensical cards rofl

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

Man I am a reverse curmudgeon today. I absolutely adore the flavor of this set and I mostly like the art too. :)

I am not sure I'll buy much of it cos it's overpriced as hell, but maybe if it gets blown out.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 10 months ago

I was doing a little bit of research for a Gandalf the White deck and unless I'm missing something, the deck doesn't seem as powerful as I expected.

The first issue is that most white legendaries cost 5+ mana, so the curve isn't the best.

The second issue is playing creatures with flash often isn't the best for white. Planeswalkers, Thalia, Heretic Cathar, Baird, Steward of Argive, Mangara, the Diplomat and other hatebears you want in play before an opponent's turn. Casting Urza's Ruinous Blast at instant speed is cool, but that's one card.

The final issue is most creatures with ETB effects aren't legendary. You've got Ao, the Dawn Sky, Bruna, the Fading Light, Loran of the Third Path, Loran, Disciple of History, Sigrid, God-Favored, Solemn Simulacrum, Ichor Wellspring, Meteor Golem, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth...just not a whole lot there.

Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines seems like a stronger commander.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 10 months ago

I think the art design in this set is a mixed bag. One of the reasons i won't bother to buy cards because i really dislike how Wizards handle it

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 10 months ago

NZB2323 wrote:
10 months ago
I was doing a little bit of research for a Gandalf the White deck and unless I'm missing something, the deck doesn't seem as powerful as I expected.

The first issue is that most white legendaries cost 5+ mana, so the curve isn't the best.

The second issue is playing creatures with flash often isn't the best for white. Planeswalkers, Thalia, Heretic Cathar, Baird, Steward of Argive, Mangara, the Diplomat and other hatebears you want in play before an opponent's turn. Casting Urza's Ruinous Blast at instant speed is cool, but that's one card.

The final issue is most creatures with ETB effects aren't legendary. You've got Ao, the Dawn Sky, Bruna, the Fading Light, Loran of the Third Path, Loran, Disciple of History, Sigrid, God-Favored, Solemn Simulacrum, Ichor Wellspring, Meteor Golem, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth...just not a whole lot there.

Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines seems like a stronger commander.
Bruna is a cast trigger.

There's enough there to do some stuff. Working for artifacts helps a ton, means there's stuff you can do like eggs and whatnot. Plus, triggers like Loran are decent. I'm sure someone will find a way to get gross with it.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

pokken

Man I am such a sucker for sagas...There and Back Again is amazing. And pretty strong too. I like.

and Display of Power is doooope. I love red counterspells for counterspells, that have additional hilarious ramifications. Gonna play the heck out of that one.

I can't wait to wait for a counter war stack to develop and just puke all over it. That counters that, that counters that, that counters that, and I get that, and that kills that.

Your stack is mine!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 10 months ago

Holy smoke, that Smaug token is a whole lot of treasure on a 6/6. 14?! WOW.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 10 months ago

All Shadowfax fans can now let out that breath they've been holding since Bill the Pony was spoiled :rofl: :P
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
10 months ago
Bill the Pony was spoiled :rofl: :P
Bill is still the top

and because legends matter decks needed more help we now have War of the Last Alliance
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 10 months ago

I love that Shadowfax, Lord of Horses shows us the meaning of haste, as he had to, gives all horses haste, as he had to, and gives his "riders" "Super Haste" for added bonus points. 11/10, perfect card is perfect, we can be done here with this set.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 10 months ago

pokken wrote:
10 months ago
Man I am such a sucker for sagas...There and Back Again is amazing. And pretty strong too. I like.

and Display of Power is doooope. I love red counterspells for counterspells, that have additional hilarious ramifications. Gonna play the heck out of that one.

I can't wait to wait for a counter war stack to develop and just puke all over it. That counters that, that counters that, that counters that, and I get that, and that kills that.

Your stack is mine!
I'm looking forward to seeing Display of Power used to steal a Storm player's victory out from under them.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 10 months ago

Shadowfax is so cool. I'm building that.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 10 months ago

Shadowfax is quite strong for an uncommon

DirkGently

Surprised people like shadowfax so much. Horse tribal sounds awful, the buff is relatively weak, stats are low, and the attack trigger is just ok. I guess you can put things like Arcbound Overseer into play, but I think there are plenty of cards that do similar things a lot more effectively. Plus the art feels very Lisa Frank.

Bill Ferny seems incredibly difficult to build around lol.

Strider seems kinda random? Definitely not strong.

There and Back Again is kinda all in on that last mode. 14 treasures is insane though.

Display of Power will definitely see a lot of play I think.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 10 months ago

Borne Upon a Wind quickest! I'll play this card! I think its really good and did not deserve a gallery dump spoiler

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 10 months ago

...more cards, I suppose? It's hard to tell when spoilers are done these days.

pokken

Moria marauder is low key amazing in any deck lol. Put a sword on that guy and you're drawing cards hand over fist.
And I love the rr mana cost.

DirkGently

duducrash wrote:
10 months ago
Borne Upon a Wind quickest! I'll play this card! I think its really good and did not deserve a gallery dump spoiler
Eh, I mean Scout's Warning and Quicken are both rarely played, and when you're tacking on mana that needs to be paid in addition to the spell's cost 1 mana make a big difference. I don't think it'll see that much viability. If you really want flash you'd probably prefer a more reliable method, like Vedalken Orrery or Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”