Super Smash Bros EDH (Let's Brew!)

Tman03
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Tman03 » 4 years ago

Ok, so you saw my Sisay "deck" (read: pile of cards) with all the Smash protagonists. Now I want to collaborate with all of you on a full-on Super Smash Bros deck! Fighters, stages, moves, and items will all be represented here! Even basic lands could be stages! Let's do this!

Tags:

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Final Judgment seems apropos for the World of Light
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Tman03

Honestly, I'd prefer Duneblast because one was spared.
EDIT: That would mean Kirby's the one doing it. Let's just say Kirby's the only planeswalker of the group, or perhaps a player.

Tman03

Anyone want to contribute?

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

I didn't see your Sisay deck, can you post it?
Can I contribute if my smash knowledge is from the N64?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Metal box is...Liquimetal Coating?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Tman03

I had each main protagonist in the deck, and I have made some updates: Bruse as Mario because of his middle aged Italian look, Grunn as DK because he's a gorilla, Dakkon as Link because he has a legendary sword and likes lands, very Link, Chandra as Samus because they're the leading ladies of MTG and SSB, respectively, and both have pyrokinetic technology, Ghalta as Yoshi because she's a big green dinosaur of the carnivore body type, Mimeoplasm as Kirby because he's a big blob who copies abilities, Eight-and-a-Half tails as Fox because he's a kitsune, Vryn's Prodigy as Ness because he's a 12-year-old psychic mastermind, Pit Fighter as Captain Falcon because he lives for blood and glory in deadly sports, Royal Scions as Ice Climbers because they're twins, and one at least has ice magic, Darien as Marth because he's a king commanding an army of soldiers, Ihsan as Mr Game & Watch because he's black, flat, and amorphous, being as he is a shade, Gabriel as Pit because he's a male angel, Tin Street Kingpin as Wario cause he seems like an MTG goblin, Edric as Snake cause he's a spy (though I realize Mirko would be a better fit, being the right personality colors and a more mature goth character), Yanggu, Wildcrafter as Trainer Red because he collects woodland creatures to summon in battle, Tyrant Smasher as Sonic because she's all about speed and she's a freedom fighter, Ghave as Olimar cause he plucks up tiny plant people and throws them at things, Scion of Urza as R.O.B. because he's a legendary colorless robot, Kethis as Villager because he's a politician, works well with legends, and is secretly evil, Memnarch as Rockman/Mega Man because he's a legendary blue robot, Enlightened Master as Wii Fit Trainer because she seems like she would be a fitness instructor, Surrak as Little Mac because he punches stuff, Kozilek as Miis because they are enigmas to the other characters, created by the player themself and omnipresent throughout all Nintendo games, Ghost Assassin as Pac-Man for obvious reasons, Kytheon as Shulk because he's a likable kid with reliable friends who help him ascend into a higher state of being, albeit in a much grimmer sense of "help", Yun as Ryu becomes he's a martial arts monk, Sorin Markov as Cloud because he's emo, Kalastria Bloodchief as Bayonetta because she's a provocative goth witch, Lorthos as Inkling for lack of a squid legend, Lunarch Marshal as Simon because he's a religious crusader. Estrid as Ren "Joker" Amamiya because he does magic with masks, Weatherlight Hero as the Dragon Quest Heroes because he's a prophesied hero, and has "hero" in the name, Goreclaw as Banjo because she's a bear, Iwamori as Terry Bogard as, although you may not think it, he's probably the most passionate martial artist in MTG lore, and Skeleton Ship as Sans because, well it's creature type skeleton. You can help, but you may need to do some research into Ultimate.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Here's the decklist thread.

I will briefly repeat some of my advice from there:

I think your biggest issue is going to be synergy. It's cool coming up with legendary MTG dopplegangers to SSB characters, but unless they fit together somehow the deck is just going to be a 5 color chaos pile.

Again, I would consider keeping some of the SSB "stars" as legendaries and using some EDH staple creatures to represent some of the less iconic SSB characters (ie: Aven Mindcensor as Falco, Imposing Sovereign as Peach, or whatever) just so you can build a deck out of cards that actually work together somehow.

As another way of giving yourself some synergy and direction from an MTG standpoint, consider making 2 (or more) decks themed around groups of SSB characters that have some flavor synergy and thus could be built with some color restriction and actual MTG synergy. For example, you could have the Mario, Luigi, Peach, etc. deck or the Bowser, Wario, DK, etc. deck or the Link, Sheikh, Zelda, etc. deck or the Fox, Falco, Wolf, etc. deck. . . you get the point. This would make for cool kitchen table game nights where each player chooses a game universe and theme to play with. Might be more work up front, but great fun with friends if you can pull it off.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Tman03

Hmmm. Who should we consider the "stars"?

Serenade
UnderKing

Either the highest-competitive-tiered characters or the OG N64 characters.

Serenade
UnderKing

New idea: This deck should be Naya. Lots of fight mechanics. Marisi is Master Hand. You keep your Mario and DK and build from there. Ramp is mushrooms or bunny ears. Tolsimir is Link.

Tman03

Sounds good. I'll get to it.
We're gonna have to not make Kirby Mimeoplasm, we can't have Pika as a rat, and Ness can't be Jace. So what do we do for them? All I got is Kirby as Omnath

Tman03

Maybe Earl of Squirrel for Pika. Legendaries just won't cut it.

Tman03

We're gonna have to run at least Blue in there because blue is the only color that has cards that would make sense for Ness, and he's one of the original 12.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

I'd start by deciding what SSB characters you would absolutely insist on running as legendaries and then build around that. I think 4-5 color would be fine, its just that you will have a harder time building around a specific strategy the more legendaries you run. Or, if you want to still go nuts with mass amounts of legendaries, do 4-5 colors spread across two decks with specific legendary build around commanders like Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain vs. Arvad the Cursed or Captain Sisay vs Lazav, the Multifarious
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Tman03

I insist on the Original 12 as legends. So...
Mario = Bruse
DK = Grunn
Link = Tolsimir
Samus = Chandra, Flamecaller
Yoshi = Ghalta
Kirby = Mimeoplasm
Fox = Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
Pika = Ink-Eyes
Luigi = Iwamori
Ness = Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Captain Falcon = Depala, Pilot Exemplar
Jigglypuff = Rubinia
We will fill the rest of the deck with support for each of these.

Tman03

Bump

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”