Outside of the box Sisay, Weatherlight Captain [brainstorming]

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I don't know why I wasn't particularly excited about sisay, weatherlight captain when she was spoiled, but toolbox commanders have been a favourite of mine since forever, with zirilan of the claw being my longest-lived deck by a large margin. Sisay fits nicely into that mould, and like zirilan has some nice restrictions to work around.

I don't have my collection with me since I just moved, but I'm brainstorming some ideas to make the deck a little more personal than the usual Sisay build, whatever that might be. So here's a few ideas I've had:

-Lands only, using legendary lands and flip lands. She can fetch okina/kher keep/legion's landing to pump power to get the flips out.

-equipment, focusing on legendaries and hammer of nazahn in particular.

-"in response" legends like original venser and WAR narset to play a control toolbox from the command zone.

-some combination of the above.

Ideas are welcome, it'll still be months before I can put it together so I've got loads of time to think.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I did a "in response" version on Salvation, but haven't ported it over to Nexus yet. https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the ... sts/811613

I think that legendary lands idea sounds pretty cool. Support this with tons of nonland board wipes; Hour of Revelation, Planar Cleansing, Devastation Tide, Flood of Tears, Tragic Arrogance, etc.

Some transform cards as well as you mentioned; Journey to Eternity, Search for Azcanta, Arguel's Blood Fast, Profane Procession, Hadana's Climb.

Now what are legendary lands that do things, therefore what is the game plan?
Well the transform enchantments could lead to Hall of Heliod's Generosity being a key card against removal.

Inventors' Fair can be used to get any artifact (needs more artifact support however) and Academy Ruins gives you perfect removal backup to whatever the key artifacts are.
Cataclysmic Gearhulk, Oblivion Stone, Nevinyrral's Disk would be perfect to keep the nonland destruction process going.
Crucible of Worlds to get back lands in the face of removal.

Volrath's Stronghold for recurring some powerful legendary creatures. Not sure what? Perhaps something that can protect Sisay? Also support the artifact theme if going in that direction, or something that supports enchantments if going that route.
Or all of the above :P

The other standouts are the "Cradles" for bonuses for number of creatures in play. This requires quite a bit of support however for a "lands" theme.
Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Gaea's Cradle.
Examples of legends that can produce a number of creatures; Alela, Artful Provocateur, Darien, King of Kjeldor, Elenda, the Dusk Rose, Ghave, Guru of Spores, Ghoulcaller Gisa, Grismold, the Dreadsower, Hazezon Tamar, Krenko, Mob Boss, Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin, Kykar, Wind's Fury, Lena, Selfless Champion, Najeela, the Blade-Blossom, Nath of the Gilt-Leaf, Omnath, Locus of Rage, Oviya Pashiri, Sage Lifecrafter, Prossh, Skyraider of Kher, Regna, the Redeemer, Rhys the Redeemed, Rith, the Awakener, Sai, Master Thopterist, Slimefoot, the Stowaway, Sliver Queen, Tana, the Bloodsower, The Locust God, Titania, Protector of Argoth.

I think I like Hazezon Tamar as the best one if going for the nonland destruction theme. The reason is that it's a land theme deck to begin with so you want to reward yourself for getting more lands into play. If you look at most of the other they require more sequences of setup. Multiple turns of doing things to get more creatures into play.
With Hazezon Tamar you can use Phyrexian Tower to sacrifice him to protect your Sand Warriors before they come into play. Then you can use Volrath's Stronghold to keep putting him back on top if the Sand Warriors are dealt with. It just seems like the most robust concept. However he does cost 7 mana, so if you wanted to search for him with Sisay then 8 power on her is not the easiest.

You want to be playing Rhys the Redeemed anyway as a support card for Sisay color requirements.

This idea got me pretty interested actually.

Theoric

Post by Theoric » 4 years ago

I made a sisay deck that's packed with flavor (it dumps out 6 members of her weatherlight crew within the first few turns) and then uses Selvala as a mana generator to either cheat out another legendary and/or use ertai to counter someone's spell. It's super fun to play and smashing people with crew members like tahngarth and mirri is a blast.
viewtopic.php?t=22044

DirkGently

Thanks for all the ideas darrenhabib, I like a lot of those suggestions. It is pretty cool to have stronghold + academy ruins + hall of heliod All fetchable in the same deck, could definitely give some interesting directions for the deck to go.
Theoric wrote:
4 years ago
I made a sisay deck that's packed with flavor (it dumps out 6 members of her weatherlight crew within the first few turns) and then uses Selvala as a mana generator to either cheat out another legendary and/or use ertai to counter someone's spell. It's super fun to play and smashing people with crew members like tahngarth and mirri is a blast.
viewtopic.php?t=22044
I saw that deck list - it might actually be my reason for reconsidering Sisay. I'm not much of a theme deck person, though, nor a combo person, so I'm looking for something different.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I was going to say that I don't feel repeated tutoring in the command zone is particularly fun most of the time, and I still feel that way, but after playing a couple golos builds with the land theme (serra's sanctum white and cabal coffers black) I feel like maybe I was too quick to snap that off.

The lands one is where I'd go. His ability to find Nykthos and Cradle and flip lands for value and so on feels like it'd be pretty fun to me. Sanctum enchantress might be fun too, especially since so many of the flip lands are enchantments (adamo, search, growing rites, etc.).

Theoric

Is your intention to slowly grind out mana one land at a time?
I went through extensive playtesting of various mana-generating combos during the creation process of my Sisay build. The cephalid/hermit druid was the most efficient, but other ones you might consider are:
grand architect + pili-pala
argothian elder/ley weaver + freed from the real/pemmin's aura. They can go infinite during combat with maze of ith too.

I had one chain of shenanigans you might find interesting. I'd start with bloom tender or faeburrow elder and hopefully a colored legendary or two, then I'd tap it (and lands, probably) to bring out derevi (which untaps it). Then I'd tap it again for saheeli rai, which makes a bloom tender token so I can use sisay again. Next it might be gideon, martial paragon which would untap both bloom tenders so I could reuse them for oath of teferi which would let me use my planeswalkers again.... and so on. It was pretty neat, but it used a lot of card slots that I had intended for the weatherlight crew.

You might also want to tutor out dark depths and pop the token into play with thespian's stage or mirage mirror.

DirkGently

[mention]Theoric[/mention] Thanks for posting, but I did just say that I'm not interested in combos.

[mention]pokken[/mention] I think it depends on how the tutoring plays out. Same arcum combo every game? Snooze fest. Different funky responses depending on the situation? (potentially) fun.

I'll start a list of cool "in response" legends that sisay could fish out, might get some juices flowing.
Obviously some of those are pretty hard to play off sisay, but just throwing out some ideas. If nothing else, there's always blackblade reforged to get sisay massively swole.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

My friend played that deck as Captain Sisay the oldschool one and it was hideously annoying. You had to kill sisay every single time he played it or it shut the game down. The legendary "answers" are just too powerful.

DirkGently

[mention]pokken[/mention] That might happen, that's what tuning is for, though. I've played against sisay decks focusing on hokori + cradle to outpace opponents, which can be miserable, but fixing it is as simple as not including hokori. I'm sure there will be other obnoxious cards that I'll cut for being too oppressive - the goal is to block things that threaten to win the game or harm us specifically, not to shut everyone out.

This sisay is also different in that she has a pretty strict restriction on what she can pull. But she's also 5-color instead of 2 and puts it into play instead of hand. So I imagine it'll play pretty differently. You can play a lot more reactively.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Theoric

responding to someone's tutor by cheating out Ob Nixilis, Unshackled would be hilarious.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”