MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/4/19 is Word of Command.

I am not sure I am willing to talk about Word of Command.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

I wonder whether this card is the reason effects that control a player are now considered a (not necessarily exclusively) black thing or whether that's just an extension of Captivating Vampire.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Interesting thought. Looking at it with an unbiased outside perspective you might think it's a blue ability, but at the same time it feels quite a bit more invasive than that, doesn't it? Something that allows you to potentially make your opp sacrifice all their permanents, pay all their life, or attack a player they've been friends with all game with all their creatures feels... like a betrayal. Word of Command is just one piece of admittedly old precedent in an admittedly small amount of it.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/5/19 is Skyhunter Prowler.

Could we get those exact stats/abilities for WW at common in a normal Limited set these days?

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

We probably could, depending on the set's anti-flying options.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

As a 1/3 with vigilance it's going to be inclined toward stalling the board if it's out early. That's not something you want too much of, so it wouldn't be 2CMC and common.

We'd be likely to see it at common as a 1/2 or a 1/1 (it's already got flying and vigilance). At 1/3 it's more likely to be uncommon or CMC 3+ to limit its frequency on the board and its capacity to cause stalls.

On searching common vigilance creatures I see we have Griffin Sentinel in the same niche. None of the cmc2 vigilance common creatures have a toughness higher than 2. (Only one does, but it doesn't have vigilance until you equip it.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/6/19 is Synthetic Destiny.

An interesting card that I forgot existed.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/12/19 is Wirewood Lodge.

Aesthetically, what was with the Elves of Otaria and birch trees?

M00NSIDIAN

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

My guess: it was just a good way to differentiate them strongly from prior elves and where they lived. The birch trees stand out pretty strongly, so I guess it works, right?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/13/19 is Cryptic Command.

Heard it's pretty nice.

frogchild
izzet mage

Post by frogchild » 4 years ago

Cryptic Command and the whole command cycle really are good uses of modal design imo, though I haven't really played with them myself. Getting extra utility out of a counterspell is always nice. I really like this design, and I think it's a good example for modal card design
connesieur of all things red and/or blue

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Commands are great. We even got a new one snuck into MH1, Kaya's Guile. Just... choices on cards are nice in general.

And then there's Casualties of War. So the question becomes, can we do better?

Mesmeric Command 2UUUU
Sorcery
Choose one or more —
• Return target creature to its owner's hand.
• Return target artifact to its owner's hand.
• Return target enchantment to its owner's hand.
• Tap target creature.
• Tap target artifact.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Mesmeric Command 2UUUU
Sorcery
Choose one or more —
• Return target creature to its owner's hand.
• Return target artifact to its owner's hand.
• Return target enchantment to its owner's hand.
• Tap target creature.
• Tap target artifact.
I feel like this could be an instant. That's a steep, steep cost; Casualties of War is arguably easier because green gets ramp and even black still gets the occasional fast mana. What does blue has as far as ramp?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/17/19 is Three Tragedies.

It's Fugue so very little to write home about regarding this pretty basic design. But, I think there's something to be said about the value that Arcane actually has in adding impetus for an extra hit of flavor; everyone now acknowledges that Kamigawa block had one of the best storylines ever despite the bad design ideas.

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 4 years ago

Arcane and the attendant Splice are a mechanic I'd love to see more of, if the issues of it being "parasitic" were solved. If a return to Kamigawa were to happen, I'd love to see a return of the mechanic as a rule of Arcanes, broadening, or reintroduce them as Tribal - Spirit cards and keyword the interaction around that.

Really, Arcane is the sort of thing the Tribal supertype is meant to be. When a noncreature card is genuinely, in all flavor regards, an expression of the tribe. Bitterblossom is a Fairy because it makes Fairy tokens and expresses one of the Tribe's themes within that set. Cloak and Dagger is a Rogue for defining that tribe more closely than many of the actual creatures in some respects. Crush Underfoot is simply the action of a Giant.

But the thing is there aren't commonplace mechanics like Splice to mechanically justify many of the thoughts Wizards had on trying to make tribal cards. They considered making so much of Innistrad into Tribal cards, but didn't have a mechanical reason, because there wasn't a solid backbone of paying off for Tribal spells that aren't creatures. Boggart Shenanigans, Fodder Launch and Boggart Birth Rite form a brief aggressive Tribal engine without a single creature, and the Birth Rite can recover all the Changeling spells as well, including the quite possibly killing and most certainly fatal to double Nameless Inversion. Five mana, two cards, but they're far more open than simply being a horribly costly Murder. Sometimes you need something from four to six toughness dead, sometimes you need to take a 4/4 and turn it into a 7/1 that's all the things and save that Goblin recovery for your board.

Had Ghoulcaller's Chant not been alone, had there been some effect like Dredge to switch around your Zombies as necessary, or some means of grafting them together, something to make the Zombie subtype particularly meaningful regardless of being on a creature, then they could have had Tribal spells aplenty that set. Mechanics and themes that open the way to the spells being the creature type could do much. Enchantments to represent the twist from Human to Werewolf, or Human to Vampire. A stat-changing reanimation Enchantment that represents the creature called forth as a Ghoul, another in Blue that's a rare flash of recovery and inspiration for that color, taking a freshly-slain creature and grafting another corpse - or three! - onto it.

In a lot of ways, Arcane is the prototype to Tribal. "Spirit or Arcane" appears on 58 cards from those three sets. 58 cards from a pool of 641, nearly a whole 10th all-but care about what could have simply been Tribal, could have been updated to Tribal alongside the creature subtype slaughter of the same set the Tribal supertype came with. Soulshift was another 27 cards that could have tied into this. Between these three sets, there were 174 Spirit creatures, alongside those 58 Arcanes, and the utterly orphaned Shrines, mentioned on not a single card beyond that single cycle.

For a block infamous for its abuse of the Legendary supertype, it had a considerable amount of seemingly forgotten potential for subtypes. 27 cards ignored 63 they might have grasped, five cards left entirely isolated. 179 potential targets for Splice having allowed one to offer an ETB copy on playing a Spirit creature, or one of the Shrine enchantments, rooting into a pillar of the entire block instead of one small, closed off section of the Instants and Sorceries.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/18/19 is Voracious Hydra.

It's variable AND modal!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/20/19 is Mungha Wurm.

Hey, green used to get undercosted fatties with drawbacks instead of well-costed fatties with potentially overpowered abilities, who'd have thunk? Ideally we'd see more of a mix of that. There's room for Mungha Wurm as much as there is for Carnage Tyrant.

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 4 years ago

Voracious Hydra could almost pass as picking one of the two, honestly. If it had a meaningful downside, instead of "well-costed because it's also a Green kill spell with Trample" or "significantly undercosted (at X>2, eg 5 mana for a 6/6) AND it gets Trample". And honestly, I think Voracious Hydra's the one sort that needs to have "extra-fatty with downside" feel, because it's otherwise an auto-include because it's usable virtually everywhere on the curve. And auto-includes are bad, since there should be more than one deck in any given color.

(and yes, this is me kinda cheating by commenting on both simultaneously)

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Nowadays with cards like Steel Leaf Champion and Territorial Allosaurus, Mungha Wurm is a little underwhelming: it's just standard for Green to get creatures with power & toughness both greater than CMC with an upside. Maybe we're unlikely to see a 6/5 for 4, but we're likely to see a 5/5 for 4, and the extra point of power isn't entirely worth that land drawback. (Here's a list,)

However, big creatures with downsides can be a really nice design space, like Lovestruck Beast or Swarmborn Giant.

Everswarm 1GGG
Creature — Insect
Trample
Everswarm can only attack alone.
Whenever Everswarm is dealt damage, put two +1/+1 counters on it.
"It may fight for us, but don't mistake that you can fight alongside it. Put on your mask and bunker down."
6/6

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/22/19 is Sacred Boon.

As much as I like the turn damage into counters space, +0/+1 counters are not used anymore for good reason.

wizyard

Post by wizyard » 4 years ago

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/24/19 is Flame Slash.

In one sense Lightning Bolt is the furthest one-mana burn should ever be pushed without conditions and it shouldn't enter that territory almost ever considering that Bolt always defines any Standard it winds up in. In another sense... Flame Slash is probably the furthest one-mana creature removal can be pushed without conditions. (Tragic Slip is easily the furthest it can be pushed WITH conditions.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/25/19 is Militant Inquisitor.

Regardless of what you think of the flavor of getting pumped just for having Equipment, stuff like this is necessary to support an Equipment theme in Limited, otherwise you have a board full of stuff doing literally nothing till you pay the equip costs.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/26/2019 is Doom Blade.

Remember when I was talking about the gold standard for removal a couple days ago?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 11/29/19 is Starved Rusalka.

Probably the worst of its cycle but damn what flavor text.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”