Animist's Awakening

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

For reference: Animist's Awakening.

I'm considering this for a Golos deck I'm constructing that has a fairly large proportion of non-basics. How do y'all feel about this card? Has it done good work for you? Or has it been a flop when you've played it?

Obviously, you want to play it in a deck with (perhaps) more than the average number of lands; the more lands you have in your deck, the more 'hits' you'll get.

So, tell me your experiences with this card!

Tags:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 years ago

I personally have always gotten better value off a gen wave for only two cmc more, but YMMV. The spell mastery bit is pretty trivial.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I played it in Gitrog with 51 lands and it still sucked most of the time. The big problem is by the time I could be casting it for obscene mana it would be better to hit genesis wave.

xeroxedfool

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

I played in it Borborygmos Enraged many years back. It could be used as a less powerful replacement for other X spells. I wouldn't consider it worthy of a slot if you are going for 100% optimized.
They're both Griffith, get it?

Sinis

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I played it in Gitrog with 51 lands and it still sucked most of the time. The big problem is by the time I could be casting it for obscene mana it would be better to hit genesis wave.
This is kind of my impression of it; discount Genesis Wave. I guess, I assume that any deck running this is probably also running Genesis Wave. I just wonder if it's worth running both.

75chan
Shoegaze ♥

Post by 75chan » 4 years ago

I ran it in T&T with 75 lands. Topdecking it after getting 7 lands in play with Manabond turn 1, proceeding to get another 6 lands into play with it is one of the most explosive starts I've had.

In general, I don't think it adds enough flexibility or raw power potential compared to what I expect out of X spells, when you need to spend on average 3 mana per land if you're on 33 lands. That's pretty inefficient. I don't really want ramp at the CMC's where this card becomes worth it, but if I cared about getting loads of landfall triggers or if I had enough lands in my deck (60+ or so) for it to be decent even at lower castings I'd consider it.
I swap decks a lot
wr Avacyn with defensive blinking
ur OG Jhoira spellslinger without MLD or eldrazi
and some other stuff that are more or less messy

Best card

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

It's okay. Usually Genesis Wave is better. (You're in green. That self-mill is usually a bonus.)
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

pokken

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
This is kind of my impression of it; discount Genesis Wave. I guess, I assume that any deck running this is probably also running Genesis Wave. I just wonder if it's worth running both.
I feel like you'd be better off running a bomb instead. Like decree of pain or something, or torment of hailfire. If it's lands you want, boundless realms is going to be better most of the time.

Percentage of the time animist's awakening is better than boundless realms is pretty low.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

I ran it in Nissa a while ago. It wasn't all that hot. As mentioned you're probably better off with Gen Wave. If you're already running Gen Wave, perhaps The Great Aurora could do things for you? I've not run it, but all of the other cards I'd usually recommend for rampslosion tend to lean towards basics (Collective Voyage, Boundless Realms).
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Rorseph » 4 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
If you're already running Gen Wave, perhaps The Great Aurora could do things for you?
I run The Great Aurora and I really like it in a deck that's land heavy (run at least 40). It does double duty as a reset for board states that are bad for you. I'd recommend it over Animist's Awakening for sure.
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

Sinis

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
As mentioned you're probably better off with Gen Wave. If you're already running Gen Wave, perhaps The Great Aurora could do things for you?
I run Aurora in a deck that makes it truly asymmetric: Toothy/Pir. In Toothy/Pir, I've usually drawn 40+ by the time people have drawn 10, and since it counts cards in hand, it pretty much dumpsters everyone else while I get rich.

I've had pretty terrible experiences with Collective Voyage; I find it generally makes the next player in turn order win. Boundless Realms I'm open to, but, the deck is likely to have very few basics.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
As mentioned you're probably better off with Gen Wave. If you're already running Gen Wave, perhaps The Great Aurora could do things for you?
I run Aurora in a deck that makes it truly asymmetric: Toothy/Pir. In Toothy/Pir, I've usually drawn 40+ by the time people have drawn 10, and since it counts cards in hand, it pretty much dumpsters everyone else while I get rich.

I've had pretty terrible experiences with Collective Voyage; I find it generally makes the next player in turn order win. Boundless Realms I'm open to, but, the deck is likely to have very few basics.
Voyage has been nuts for me, it's stupendously good in Nissa - that being said it's definitely a card to read the table for. There is definitely potential for it to drop a win in someone else's lap, so timing is key. But yeah, it's not for this deck obviously.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

pokken

Depending on the deck, kamahl's druidic vow is often going to be significantly better. Even if it hits one legend or walker or whatever it'll be worth that extra G.

Just having the lands always enter untapped is almost always worth the G too.

However, depends heavily on whether you can consistently have a legend out of course.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I currently run it in my Tatyova, Benthic Druid bulk rares deck after cutting it from everywhere else.

Animist's Awakening usually ends up disappointing me - it doesn't scale that impressively, which is the main thing I look for in an X spell for a ramp deck. For large X, it's generally going to be outclassed by Boundless Realms. Alternatively, build around Harvest Season or Traverse the Outlands. It can look impressive if you have a really good hit with it, but that requires either getting lucky or having a very high land count. Also gets somewhat worse if you've already done a lot of ramping and have thinned your deck.

Still, it does have some upsides over other ramp spells. For one, it can get nonbasics. For two, they'll be untapped (assuming spell mastery) - can be relevant if you get lands that enter tapped by default. For three, there aren't actually that many ways to ramp out 3+ lands, which is relevant if you want to trigger landfall a bunch of times.

I do think that it is always outclassed by Genesis Wave (which actually just wins the game when cast for a large number), and it will usually be outclassed by Kamahl's Druidic Vow if it is built around. Fine inclusion if you care about landfall though.

Sinis

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Depending on the deck, kamahl's druidic vow is often going to be significantly better. Even if it hits one legend or walker or whatever it'll be worth that extra G.

Just having the lands always enter untapped is almost always worth the G too.

However, depends heavily on whether you can consistently have a legend out of course.
Ooo. That's a good catch. Golos will probably consistently out because he basically pays for half his next general tax. KDV would almost certainly be better than Animist's Awakening.

pokken

I have to kill golos in both of my golos decks, no one ever wants to remove him and see me get the second piece of activating him (cascading cataracts:P). :P So he basically lives until I kill him.
I cannot wait to make a birthing pod themed green deck with him.

Sinis

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I have to kill golos in both of my golos decks, no one ever wants to remove him and see me get the second piece of activating him (cascading cataracts:P). :P So he basically lives until I kill him.
My deck will just search out a sac outlet, and will almost certainly contain City of Shadows. Don't people feel threatened by his activation when they leave him out?

pokken

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
My deck will just search out a sac outlet, and will almost certainly contain City of Shadows. Don't people feel threatened by his activation when they leave him out?
So in my two golos decks he usually needs two searches to find the cascading cataracts or crystal quarry since they're mono colored decks otherwise. The issue with killing him is that I'll just recast him and get another sol land or nykthos or something, which makes it largely pointless.

The issue is he almost always represents more value than the mana in his first 3 casts and by then I can cast him basically for free.

In black I'll also get volrath's stronghold sometimes, basically making the tax zero forever.

The decks have a ton of bombs so usually if I'm not activating golos I'm casting bombs with nykthos or coffers anyway so it's kinda a damned if you do damned if you don't model. Sometimes I will get the sac outlet first to try to defend him from theft effects since that's really the only horrible thing that can happen to him.

Sinis

pokken wrote:
4 years ago

So in my two golos decks he usually needs two searches to find the cascading cataracts or crystal quarry since they're mono colored decks otherwise. The issue with killing him is that I'll just recast him and get another sol land or nykthos or something, which makes it largely pointless.

The issue is he almost always represents more value than the mana in his first 3 casts and by then I can cast him basically for free.

In black I'll also get volrath's stronghold sometimes, basically making the tax zero forever.

The decks have a ton of bombs so usually if I'm not activating golos I'm casting bombs with nykthos or coffers anyway so it's kinda a damned if you do damned if you don't model. Sometimes I will get the sac outlet first to try to defend him from theft effects since that's really the only horrible thing that can happen to him.
Interesting! I saw your lists in the decklists subforum. Mine is going to be more of a dorky synergy deck full of cards that have synergy with specific lands, where if you have a particular card in hand, you can search out a specific land that works well with it (sort of like if you have Smothering Tithe, you could search up Geier Reach Sanitarium to force triggers, or if you have a repeatable threaten effect like Bringer of the Red Dawn, you can search up City of Shadows).

I'm certain Cascading Cataracts/Crystal Quarry will play a role.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Animist's Awakening.
For a while, i did run this in my Omnath, Locus of Rage deck, where i have enough lands and instants/sorceries to make it worth while.
Despite the obvious Landfall triggers it still felt underwhelmingly average. Until i had pulled enough lands from my deck to cast it at an absurd X value i already depleted my deck of those exact lands.
I think it is fine and fun, but once you start looking for cuts this is an early one to get rid of.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”